What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coach/Exec of the year--vote here (1 Viewer)

Your choice for Executive of the Year

• Bill Belichick--NE

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Chris Grier--MIA

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Reggie McKenzie--OAK

Votes: 46 46.9%
  • Jon Robinson--TEN

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Jerry Jones--DAL

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Jerry Reese--NYG

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Howie Roseman--PHI

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Thomas Dimitroff--ATL

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
Way too many votes for Gase. This year's version of 2015 Jets. They have the 32nd hardest schedule and only beat 1 team over .500 (Steelers in Miami when Ben was hurt). 

I voted for Red, but it should really be Red/Linehan/Marinelli accepting the award.

I got Reggie for Exec...

Way too many votes for Gase. This year's version of 2015 Jets. They have the 32nd hardest schedule and only beat 1 team over .500 (Steelers in Miami when Ben was hurt). 
If you don't respect what Gase has done with that team, then you don't have a clue about how dysfunctional that team had been with Philbin. Doesn't matter how hard the schedule was. BTW, outside of Denver/Houston instead of San Diego/Tennessee, the Pats have played the same schedule. After the week 17 game between Pats and Fins, the Pats will probably move to the 32nd hardest schedule. Don't see people using that argument when talking about Bill.  

I voted for Red, but it should really be Red/Linehan/Marinelli accepting the award.

I got Reggie for Exec...
If Garrett has the world's best coordinators coaching for him, the he is excellent at delegation, and a fine judge of assistant talent.  Which is part of being a coach, and he deserves the award just as much.

Is this a Cowboys thing this year?

Let's give the MVP award to the entire offensive line, and the coach of the year award to the entire coaching staff.

That's a super annoying trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garrett took rookies at QB and RB to the #1 seed.  As recently as last September people said the Cowboys defense was the worst in the NFL. 

Gase transformed the franchise from irrelevant to relevant which is one of the hardest leaps to make.  He did the same thing as TB with less talent and also snuck in the playoffs.

McKenzie deserves executive of the year hands down. He has single handedly turned a team from a complete disaster with a coaching carousel that rivals Cleveland and a where players go to die to a potential perennial winner. Not an easy feat. I miss him in GB... 

As far as coach of the year, Gase deserves it IMO. Miami was so dysfunctional last year and even this year. Gase turned it into a playoff team. He got the most out of his players and that's what a great coach does. Miami has a keeper in Gase.

Garrett will win coach of the year just because he has the best record. It's unfortunate because Dallas has had a contender for the last 5-6 seasons and finally they come together with a homerun at RB and QB because they completely crapped the bed last year. I remember last year that was supposed to be "their year." Somehow Garrett gets no downgrade from that disaster. 
So it's Jason's fault that they lost Romo to injury? Check the record before and then after.

If you don't respect what Gase has done with that team, then you don't have a clue about how dysfunctional that team had been with Philbin. Doesn't matter how hard the schedule was. BTW, outside of Denver/Houston instead of San Diego/Tennessee, the Pats have played the same schedule. After the week 17 game between Pats and Fins, the Pats will probably move to the 32nd hardest schedule. Don't see people using that argument when talking about Bill.  
Gase has obviously done a good job this year. But I hate giving a guy credit because the last guy was so bad. Which is harder, turning around a team after they have had a terrible coach, or keeping a really good team playing at a really high level year after year? The first seems to happen quite a bit, the second, much rarer. I am sure the veterans on the Patriots are tired of listening to Belicheck's schtick year after year, yet somehow he does it in a way that keeps getting results. Throw in the facts that they went 3-1 to start the year with their 2nd and 3rd string QB's, they will finish at least 2 games ahead of Miami (and possibly 4 games ahead) and that they won nine of their games by more than one score (compared to Miami's two), and I think Belicheck is more deserving than Gase.

Heck, I'm an Eagles fan, and the Eagles could have hired Gase, but right now, I still don't know if he would have been a better hire than Pederson. Gase led Miami to a better record than Pederson had with the Eagles, but Pederson had a much harder schedule. Pederson played 4 teams with losing records, Gase played 10. I hope Gase continues to have success in Miami, but I don't think he should be coach of the year.

I don't recall the Patriots needing OT to beat the Browns.

Garrett took rookies at QB and RB to the #1 seed.  As recently as last September people said the Cowboys defense was the worst in the NFL. 

Gase transformed the franchise from irrelevant to relevant which is one of the hardest leaps to make.  He did the same thing as TB with less talent and also snuck in the playoffs.
Miami has less talent than TB? Have you seen TB? It's Jameis Winston running for his life behind that OL and chucking it to Mike Evans because they don't have a legitimate threat outside of him. Their defense has come on strong lately but that wasn't always the case all year. 

Way better QB and better defense IMO.  Mike Evans is a better weapon than anything Miami has.  Miami's OL is way better in theory, but they're all hurt half the time so you probably need to factor in the backups which makes it closer.  Overall, I think TB has a lot more to work with.

Doesn't dismiss the point.  Pats had same schedule, no one said boo about it.  
Having an easy schedule should not be a disqualifier for coach of the year. It's what you do with it. Belicheck:13-2, 9 wins by more than one score, Gase: 10-5, 2 wins by more than one score. Advantage Belicheck.

Way better QB and better defense IMO.  Mike Evans is a better weapon than anything Miami has.  Miami's OL is way better in theory, but they're all hurt half the time so you probably need to factor in the backups which makes it closer.  Overall, I think TB has a lot more to work with.
You haven't watched many TB games I take it.

Doesn't dismiss the point.  Pats had same schedule, no one said boo about it.  
Let us not forget that they don't play the same schedule either. The Patriots played Denver and Houston while Miami played SD and TEN.

The Pats didn't struggle to win against the easy schedule either. Miami needed OT to beat Cleveland, a late pick 6 to beat SD, a late KR TD to beat NYJ, and were losing 10-0 against LA with 4 minutes left in the game. Those are not good teams and they were all very close calls that needed a lot of last minute magic to win. Those could have easily been 4 losses for Miami and be sitting at 6-9. I know the shoulda, coulda, woulda game. But that's not the point. The point is that when they play good teams (like those that will be in the playoffs), they aren't going to win those games, and they wouldn't be within 1 late score of winning the game against good competition. Spin it however you want. They don't quit for Gase yada yada. The point is, their record doesn't tell the whole story about this team. If you're a Dolphins fan, enjoy it. But let's not get crazy.

Let us not forget that they don't play the same schedule either. The Patriots played Denver and Houston while Miami played SD and TEN.

The Pats didn't struggle to win against the easy schedule either. Miami needed OT to beat Cleveland, a late pick 6 to beat SD, a late KR TD to beat NYJ, and were losing 10-0 against LA with 4 minutes left in the game. Those are not good teams and they were all very close calls that needed a lot of last minute magic to win. Those could have easily been 4 losses for Miami and be sitting at 6-9. I know the shoulda, coulda, woulda game. But that's not the point. The point is that when they play good teams (like those that will be in the playoffs), they aren't going to win those games, and they wouldn't be within 1 late score of winning the game against good competition. Spin it however you want. They don't quit for Gase yada yada. The point is, their record doesn't tell the whole story about this team. If you're a Dolphins fan, enjoy it. But let's not get crazy.
Nobody is saying Miami is better than NE, but let's be real. NE has tons more talent, much better organization and 1 of the best QBs to ever play. Gase has a QB that everybody wanted benched, no defense to speak of, a bunch of injuries and MrT screwing up the roster. What he did with that team is better than what Bill did with his. And if you are going to give the award to the guy with the best record, than why the conversation; just give the award to the guy who finishes with the best record. Winning all those close games should be a check mark in Gase's favor because they have lost those games every other year since Jimmy quit.

No one's getting crazy.

The Fins and Pats both played weak schedules. If it's worth bringing up for the Fins, it's worth bringing up for the Pats.

It's being used as a deciding factor why Gase isn't the coach of the year, but not even mentioned for BB?

Frankly, that's dumb, and I thought it was good point that more than one coach in the league has had an ready schedule.

Nobody is saying Miami is better than NE, but let's be real. NE has tons more talent, much better organization and 1 of the best QBs to ever play. Gase has a QB that everybody wanted benched, no defense to speak of, a bunch of injuries and MrT screwing up the roster. What he did with that team is better than what Bill did with his. And if you are going to give the award to the guy with the best record, than why the conversation; just give the award to the guy who finishes with the best record. Winning all those close games should be a check mark in Gase's favor because they have lost those games every other year since Jimmy quit.
Who's to say New England has way more talent than Miami? NE has been drafting at the bottom of every round for about 15 years now. Even if they are master drafters, They should at best be even with everybody in talent but not have way more talent than everybody. And it's not like they bring in a ton of guys in free agency. They ususally selectively add veterans to their team to shore up positions, all though sometimes they go after and get top players at key positions.

Yes, Brady is a big key to New England's success, and is one area that NE is usually better than their opponents. But Belicheck seems to win even when Brady is not there, as evidenced by their 3-1 start this year, or the year Cassell went 11-5. I will be more sold on Gase if he has another good season with a tougher schedule next year, but until then I am more inclined to say he benefitted from an easy schedule this year. Yes Belicheck did benefit from an almost as easy schedule, but I think he did a lot more with his, losing one game to a playoff team, and losing another with his 3rd string rookie QB making his 2nd start.

Who's to say New England has way more talent than Miami? NE has been drafting at the bottom of every round for about 15 years now. Even if they are master drafters, They should at best be even with everybody in talent but not have way more talent than everybody. And it's not like they bring in a ton of guys in free agency. They ususally selectively add veterans to their team to shore up positions, all though sometimes they go after and get top players at key positions.

Yes, Brady is a big key to New England's success, and is one area that NE is usually better than their opponents. But Belicheck seems to win even when Brady is not there, as evidenced by their 3-1 start this year, or the year Cassell went 11-5. I will be more sold on Gase if he has another good season with a tougher schedule next year, but until then I am more inclined to say he benefitted from an easy schedule this year. Yes Belicheck did benefit from an almost as easy schedule, but I think he did a lot more with his, losing one game to a playoff team, and losing another with his 3rd string rookie QB making his 2nd start.
If you think that Miami and NE have comparable talent then I don't know what to tell you. Miami's D just gave up the most yards in one game in its history against Buffalo. But yet they won, on the road with their backup QB. The Dolphins have some star players (Suh, Wake, Landry, Jay) )but they also have huge holes. They lost their best safety, a guy that one of the best in the NFL in the 1st game of their 6 game winning streak. They have guys playing outside LB that couldn't cover my grandmother out of the backfield, 3 middling TEs after Cameron went down, lost their Pro Bowl center early in the season, outright cut 2 or 3 starting offensive lineman in week 6 and lost their QB before 2 road division games in December. And here they still are.   

If you think that Miami and NE have comparable talent then I don't know what to tell you. Miami's D just gave up the most yards in one game in its history against Buffalo. But yet they won, on the road with their backup QB. The Dolphins have some star players (Suh, Wake, Landry, Jay) )but they also have huge holes. They lost their best safety, a guy that one of the best in the NFL in the 1st game of their 6 game winning streak. They have guys playing outside LB that couldn't cover my grandmother out of the backfield, 3 middling TEs after Cameron went down, lost their Pro Bowl center early in the season, outright cut 2 or 3 starting offensive lineman in week 6 and lost their QB before 2 road division games in December. And here they still are.   
I don't think NE has better talent in that their players are any more physically gifted than other teams, I think they do a better job coaching the talent they have to play within the systems they have. Maybe they do a better job of picking guys who will fit well in their systems. Just look at their special teams. Almost always at the top of the league and they usually make a big difference in field position in a game which tilts the game in NE's favor.

But it's not like NE has 7 or 8 perennial pro bowlers. They usually have Brady and Gronk, and then a couple of other guys just because they win so many games.

If Garrett has the world's best coordinators coaching for him, the he is excellent at delegation, and a fine judge of assistant talent.  Which is part of being a coach, and he deserves the award just as much.

Is this a Cowboys thing this year?

Let's give the MVP award to the entire offensive line, and the coach of the year award to the entire coaching staff.

That's a super annoying trend.
I see your point, but hey, it's a team game......I think the Cowboys are a pretty well rounded team.  That's why the praise is being spread around.

I see your point, but hey, it's a team game......I think the Cowboys are a pretty well rounded team.  That's why the praise is being spread around.
It's not a team award, it's an individual award.

If the Cowboys are a well rounded team, then maybe no one on that team is a MVP candidate.

That's totally reasonable, and completely acceptable. We don't need to force an award onto a team. 

I only say it's an annoying trend because the MVP is NOT going to be 5 offensive linemen, and coach of the year is NOT going to be two coordinators, and saying they should be is an argument not going anywhere. 

Personally, my team is finally decent, and I couldn't care less if Carr or Mack or any of them win an individual award. 

I'd like to see Reggie win exec of the year, only because he was so heavily criticized early on, but other than that, I don't care.

Maybe that's why I'm not a Pats fan.

It's not a team award, it's an individual award.

If the Cowboys are a well rounded team, then maybe no one on that team is a MVP candidate.

That's totally reasonable, and completely acceptable. We don't need to force an award onto a team. 

I only say it's an annoying trend because the MVP is NOT going to be 5 offensive linemen, and coach of the year is NOT going to be two coordinators, and saying they should be is an argument not going anywhere. 

Personally, my team is finally decent, and I couldn't care less if Carr or Mack or any of them win an individual award. 

I'd like to see Reggie win exec of the year, only because he was so heavily criticized early on, but other than that, I don't care.

Maybe that's why I'm not a Pats fan.
I'm not much of a fan of these awards anyway.......maybe that's why my favorite players are always the Bill Bates/Jason Witten/Moose Johnston's of the NFL world.

Users who are viewing this thread