What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Ivory (1 Viewer)

Jax had a grand total of 5 rushing TDs all of last year.  That was next to last in the league.  They were also 27th in rushing yards, averaging 92.1 yards per game - and were tied for 30th in the league in carries.  This tells me they want to run it a lot more than they did - but I don't know which guy this will benefit.  Looks like a true RBBC here.  Two guys splitting on a poor rushing team.  Stay away.

Agreed but the bolded. This is bizarre. They must not have any faith in Yeldon. As for those projected carries, that is very, very optimistic. Last year, the Jags averaged 18.4 RB carries per game. Even if that number increases 25%, not really enough to spread around considering Robinson will still get a few carries. Ivory himself averaged 16.5 per game last year. This looks like a fantasy disaster.
Maybe so on the yardage and carry numbers, but I'd bet he finds his way into the endzone 10+ times, assuming health. Jacksonville threw it like crazy in the red zone, which isn't typically the best way to an efficient red zone offense. 

We we should all remember that Gus Bradley comes from Seattle and *wants* to pound the rock and play defense, but the second part of that equation hasn't held up. Maybe they're trying to build in more ball control on offense to avoid chasing the scoreboard so often. Adding Jackson and getting back Fowler is a huge upgrade on the front line before you consider anything else they do on defense in the draft or with their Scrooge McDuck stash of coin. 

Point being, I don't think we look at last year's running back carries as a template for 2016. They have gobs of money to spend, but they just gave a ton of it to a bruiser RB... That says something about how they want to play, no?

Maybe so on the yardage and carry numbers, but I'd bet he finds his way into the endzone 10+ times, assuming health. Jacksonville threw it like crazy in the red zone, which isn't typically the best way to an efficient red zone offense. 

We we should all remember that Gus Bradley comes from Seattle and *wants* to pound the rock and play defense, but the second part of that equation hasn't held up. Maybe they're trying to build in more ball control on offense to avoid chasing the scoreboard so often. Adding Jackson and getting back Fowler is a huge upgrade on the front line before you consider anything else they do on defense in the draft or with their Scrooge McDuck stash of coin. 

Point being, I don't think we look at last year's running back carries as a template for 2016. They have gobs of money to spend, but they just gave a ton of it to a bruiser RB... That says something about how they want to play, no?
Oh, I'll easily take the under on that 10+. And that's nothing against Ivory. I like him as a runner, but 10 TDs is a lot (only 5 guys last year), especially if he's going to get less carries than last year. Plus, JAX ranked 31st in "power success" according to football outsiders:

Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks.

I'm sure they can improve, but by how much? And I agree JAX is showing some intent to run the ball more, but as I said, even a 25% increase in RB rushes won't make a huge difference. I'm not saying to use 2015 as a template, but it is an important point of reference/baseline. If I was a Yeldon/Ivory owner (which I'm luckily not), I wouldn't expect any drastic changes because that kind of a turnaround is rare, especially when there is no change to the offensive system.

Personally, I'm just looking at this from a redraft perspective and I don't like what I see for Ivory or Yeldon. Both of them have a worse situation than they did last year.

I should add that RBs only had 66 catches on JAX last year which is very low. That kind of thing is typically a product of QB tendencies and offensive system, so I wouldn't expect that to change much. Even if it did, I wouldn't expect Ivory to be a huge beneficiary of that, as they would likely use that phase of the game to get Yeldon involved.

The Florida Times Union expects the Jaguars to start Chris Ivory over T.J. Yeldon.

They're certainly paying Ivory like a starter, signing him to a five-year deal worth $32.5 million. Based on OTA reps, beat writer Ryan O'Halloran believes Yeldon is "ear-marked for a regular third-down/fill-in early down role" with "Ivory as the initial starter." The Jags refused to give Yeldon the ball in scoring position last season and may envision him as more of a finesse back. Power runner Ivory is the heavy favorite for goal-line work.

Related: Chris Ivory

Source: Florida Times Union 
Jun 17 - 8:17 PM

Ryan O'Halloran of the Florida Times Union expects carries to be split about 55/45 in the Jaguars' backfield this season.
55 percent would go to Chris Ivory with T.J. Yeldon responsible for the other 45 percent. O'Halloran suggested the Jags could even use a "hot-hand" approach with one back getting more carries in the second half based on their performance in the first two quarters. The Jags' backfield is going to be a tough puzzle for fantasy owners to solve. Ivory is the projected starter and goal-line back, making him the lesser of two evils. Neither is worthy of more than a middle-round stab in 12-team fantasy drafts.

Related: T.J. Yeldon

Source: Florida Times Union 
Jul 17 - 9:27 AM

Hurry back Chris.....I don't think the Jags can take one more week of giving TJ Yeldon 20 plus carries to gain 30 yards. 

I am confused. Yeldon averaged 4.1 ypc as a rookie.  He had a bad week no doubt, but so did Gurley, Elliot and countless others. 
Not a Yeldon fan obviously. JAG. I am not confused at all. I watch him play and it's plain as day he is ordinary.

My point is....while other backs had bad weeks....Yeldon is not in the same class as either of those two back you mention. Hell Ivory will overtake him as the season roles on IMO. Matter of time.

Any speculation on what Ivory was hospitalized for?  What could have happened that they would want to keep secret?  Maybe he got messed up using recreational drugs or alcohol?  Maybe he had to have a foreign object removed from him?  Who knows?  Strange.

Any speculation on what Ivory was hospitalized for?  What could have happened that they would want to keep secret?  Maybe he got messed up using recreational drugs or alcohol?  Maybe he had to have a foreign object removed from him?  Who knows?  Strange.
Kidney stone? Appendix. Diabetic? Lodged hot dog. 

Chris Ivory (illness) is active for Week 3 against the Ravens.
Ivory is finally ready to make his Jaguars debut after missing the first two games with what the team is calling a "general medical issue." He won't see a full workload in his first game back but Ivory is still the favorite for goal-line carries. That makes him a touchdown-or-bust RB3. Obviously Ivory's return will put a major dent in T.J. Yeldon's fantasy value.

Sep 25 - 11:54 AM

What is up with Ivory? Worth a hold? Any HOMER feedback?
He looked good to me last week (or rather the same as he did in NYJ last year) but Yeldon also looked good and got more of the work. As a pure runner I still think Ivory > Yeldon though. I think Ivory is a hold to see how the work him in fully healthy coming out of the bye.

He looked good to me last week (or rather the same as he did in NYJ last year) but Yeldon also looked good and got more of the work. As a pure runner I still think Ivory > Yeldon though. I think Ivory is a hold to see how the work him in fully healthy coming out of the bye.
Thanks. I was having the same question. A healthy fresh legged Ivory for the last 2/3 of the season sounds good

Good feedback..I'm holding for now with hopes that in fact, out of the bye he is healthy and they give him the rock.  He will definitely vulture TD's and if he can average 60 and a TD, I guess I'll be happy.

If yeldon is out I'd start him with confidence but from everything I've seen is yeldon will be active today. I haven't seen if he's actually going to get touches or snaps but that he will be ready to play if they want him to

T.J. Yeldon is active for Week 12 against the Bills despite missing the entire week of practice with an ankle injury.
It's a major surprise, and a concern for Chris Ivory's Week 12 workload. Still, we would be stunned if Yeldon was a legitimate factor in Sunday's game coming off a significant ankle injury. He's not playable in fantasy leagues. Nov 27 - 11:52 AM

ourlads has him sitting #3 behind fournette and yeldon
$3m of his $4.5m salary this year is fully guaranteed. So to the Jags keeping him or not boils down to an extra cost of $1.5m vs just giving him his $3m to walk away and hopefully for their sake have some offset language in his deal to get him a little back.

This is a situation where if another team got RB desperate the Jags would likely love to give him away and possibly even pay a little to the other team to take him so they can get out of the $3m he is guaranteed.

I don't have a stake in him but in a Marrone system he should be fine. Plus the pass receiving element he showed last week is a new wrinkle adding value. And the Colts should be a good matchup.

Guven Fournette history with ankle and foot problems at LSU I would think Ivory would have been one of FF's key handcuffs.

Picked him up for free on Wednesday just in case.  If Fournette is confirmed out, I'm happily plugging him in over Mixon.

I got an alert that Rappaport reports Fournette is out. Not seeing this anywhere else. Lately Rap Sheet's been a little off with reports so may want to hold on putting in Ivory as etched in stone for your lineups.

Users who are viewing this thread