What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Hogan, WR (1 Viewer)

If the Pats were playing a Sunday game, I'd hedge my bets and try and get Hogan in the lineup if Fri and Sat practice reports are positive. 

Given they are playing Monday, I'm leaving him on the bench, as whatever info is coming from NE coaching staff about him could be 100% bogus and I don't want to end up on Monday evening without a plan B if they suddenly declare Hogan inactive.   

The people that say 'they can win without hogan' crack me up.

This is BB were talking about. All he cares about is winning and every little ounce of preparation that goes into it. If Hogan is healthy and practicing, sure he could be limited, but he could also play 85% of the snaps like he did before he got hurt.

Also, New England has ALOT to play for #1 Home field advantage..... 

Luckily I have stills on the bench.  If Hogan isn't active he's a nice option.  I wish we could know if Hogan will play his normal snaps if active but no one is gonna tell us that

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily I have stills on the bench.  If Hogan isn't active he's a nice option.  I wish we could know if Hogan will play his normal snaps if active but no one is gonna tell us that
Good point here, if NE gets up big quickly, they finish the game with the highly talented core of pass catching rb's.  I think the game plan is for the NE rb's to be used as heavyweights in the passing game anyway, but with BB you never know.  I don't see the FINS hanging in this game, it has blowout written all over for the Pat's.

The people that say 'they can win without hogan' crack me up.

This is BB were talking about. All he cares about is winning and every little ounce of preparation that goes into it. If Hogan is healthy and practicing, sure he could be limited, but he could also play 85% of the snaps like he did before he got hurt.

Also, New England has ALOT to play for #1 Home field advantage..... 
This game isn’t really that important, for either the Patriots, or the Steelers (agaisn’t Balt).  Assuming the team who wins in week 15, wins their final 2 games, that NE/Pitt game will determine the #1 seed in the AFC.  

This game isn’t really that important, for either the Patriots, or the Steelers (agaisn’t Balt).  Assuming the team who wins in week 15, wins their final 2 games, that NE/Pitt game will determine the #1 seed in the AFC.  
Since weeks 15-17 are in the future with unknown outcomes, I’d say at this point in time week 14 games ARE that important. Just guessing though. 

Since weeks 15-17 are in the future with unknown outcomes, I’d say at this point in time week 14 games ARE that important. Just guessing though. 
Week 14 games are still on the future, with unknown outcomes, as well.  AFAIK, they haven’t been played yet; if you have information to the contrary, please share-I still have time to place some bets.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly how Bill B. doesn't think.

He could give a crap about the Steelers right now. On to Miami.

If Hogan is healthy he's playing. 

This is exactly how Bill B. doesn't think.

He could give a crap about the Steelers right now. On to Miami.

If Hogan is healthy he's playing. 
I’m not sure you read my post correctly.  I never said B.B. thinks that way, I just pointed out this game is not that meaningful.  NE can lose against Mia, and if they beat Pitt in week 15, they’ll have the #1 seed because they’ll own the tiebreaker over Pitt.  I’m sure B.B. will do everything he can to beat Miami.  That doesn’t make what I posted untrue.

Can't find any updates on today's practice. After going full the past two days, I imagine he's a go, but would love some concrete news

Could NE beat the Fins sans Gronk & Hogan? Of course. However, why would NE even risk it if Hogan is actually ready to practice and play? They aren't exactly dripping with WR RZ targets right now and the RBs get a little more defensible when the middle of the field isn't being stretched by Gronk.

They can't afford to trip up here. I think it's all hands on deck in a divisional roadie. If he keeps practicing without a setback, I see no reason for them not to play him.
Agreed, Taking any opponent lightly is not the Pats style.  They would never take the stance that "we can beat them without......."..they have never done this that I know of. 

I think the converse is true, they work to exploit each and every possible angle regardless of the perceived matchup... they would rather beat a lesser opponent 56-10 then take them for granted only to lose or keep it close....not gonna happen.

Does this help or hurt or make no difference for Brandon Cooks?

Is Cooks no longer the deep threat when Hogan is in the lineup?

Does this help or hurt or make no difference for Brandon Cooks?

Is Cooks no longer the deep threat when Hogan is in the lineup?
I've always viewed Cooks as more of a catch and yac guy while Hogan is more of a vertical threat. Couple that with Gronk out and I think that places an importance on those routes in this game. Pure speculation on my part though because NE is the best team out there at exploiting individual matchups in real time whether it was game planned or not. Of course, that means Dwayne Allen goes 12 for 120.  :lmao:

I've always viewed Cooks as more of a catch and yac guy while Hogan is more of a vertical threat. Couple that with Gronk out and I think that places an importance on those routes in this game. Pure speculation on my part though because NE is the best team out there at exploiting individual matchups in real time whether it was game planned or not. Of course, that means Dwayne Allen goes 12 for 120.  :lmao:
Yep or Burkhead, Amendola, Lewis.  Ugh.

Mike Reiss seems to think he will play
Unless he has a setback, he's starting and looking like a solid option. I have him in my lineup and if he's not active I get my backup, which will be either Funchess or Derrick Henry (standard league). Good move starting him over those two?

if you are starting him, who are you sitting? Let's help each other out 

Unless he has a setback, he's starting and looking like a solid option. I have him in my lineup and if he's not active I get my backup, which will be either Funchess or Derrick Henry (standard league). Good move starting him over those two?

if you are starting him, who are you sitting? Let's help each other out 
Right now I'm starting him and Jermaine Kearse over Funchess and Terrance Williams. TD-heavy league. 

Hogan is my flex, thinking of dropping Williams to pick up Dwayne Allen in case Hogan is a late scratch. Brady is my QB but not sure that matters in the equation. Best of luck regardless of where you land.

Putting Hogan in as my flex in PPR league. Other WR are Golladay and Taylor....I just threw up in my mouth.

Could NE beat the Fins sans Gronk & Hogan? Of course. However, why would NE even risk it if Hogan is actually ready to practice and play? They aren't exactly dripping with WR RZ targets right now and the RBs get a little more defensible when the middle of the field isn't being stretched by Gronk.

They can't afford to trip up here. I think it's all hands on deck in a divisional roadie. If he keeps practicing without a setback, I see no reason for them not to play him.
I agree with this. Pit is still right with them for home field, so I'd be shocked if Hogan doesn't play if he's been practicing this week.

0.5 PPR league: Definitely started/starting Hilton or Diggs, Kamara, and Bernard over Hogan. That leaves one flex spot, which I expect to use for Hilton/Diggs or Lat Murray.

Glad to have a bye in my other league owning Hogan so I can see him play before deciding about week 15. 

Starting Hogan over McKinnon. No Monday plan B scares me though. The blowout game script is my biggest fear.
Ok actually no I'm not I'm back on McKinnon.  Not crazy about either.  Probably a marginal difference in upside between the two.  Too much risk right now for me to start Hogan. Hopefully it won't matter.  

Who's rolling the dice with Hogan this week?

Last week was horrendous across the board, with the entire NE offense looking like doo. Hogan had one catch for one yard off of 5 targets. While Cooks was similarly ineffective (1/38 off 7 targets), the only receiver that had success was Amendola who went 6/76 off of 9 targets -- most of them coming later in the game when NE was hurling the ball to keep up.

For those that watched the game, how did Hogan look? Crisp and sharp in his routes and separation, or more of a decoy? Any lingering effects visible? Was that target to production ratio on him or on Brady and his ineffective passing?

This week against the Steelers is actually not a terrible matchup for the pass game -- Steelers are 3rd worst in passing yards allowed per game over the last 7 weeks, and with Gronk back, the field opens up a little. But that's one more mouth to feed.

What do you think of Hogan this week? 

I'm deciding between him and a relatively higher floor lower ceiling WR like Richardson. In the semis, don't want to risk pulling another near bagel from Hogan, but this could be a game -- if he's healthy and Brady is back to form and looking for him -- where he does well.

Thoughts?

The matchup is there no doubt about it.

Hogan also played a high percentage of snaps and ran a ton of routes. Pre injury levels.

My concern is this: Back when Hogan was rolling, Burkhead was hurt and Mike Gilly was still active. Things have changed. The RBs have become a huge part of the game plan. Not really sure how the pie is going to be split up against the Steelers. 

The matchup is there no doubt about it.

Hogan also played a high percentage of snaps and ran a ton of routes. Pre injury levels.

My concern is this: Back when Hogan was rolling, Burkhead was hurt and Mike Gilly was still active. Things have changed. The RBs have become a huge part of the game plan. Not really sure how the pie is going to be split up against the Steelers. 
Patriots are gonna hang a 40 burger on that defense so everyone should have a decent game

Who's rolling the dice with Hogan this week?

Last week was horrendous across the board, with the entire NE offense looking like doo. Hogan had one catch for one yard off of 5 targets. While Cooks was similarly ineffective (1/38 off 7 targets), the only receiver that had success was Amendola who went 6/76 off of 9 targets -- most of them coming later in the game when NE was hurling the ball to keep up.

For those that watched the game, how did Hogan look? Crisp and sharp in his routes and separation, or more of a decoy? Any lingering effects visible? Was that target to production ratio on him or on Brady and his ineffective passing?

This week against the Steelers is actually not a terrible matchup for the pass game -- Steelers are 3rd worst in passing yards allowed per game over the last 7 weeks, and with Gronk back, the field opens up a little. But that's one more mouth to feed.

What do you think of Hogan this week? 

I'm deciding between him and a relatively higher floor lower ceiling WR like Richardson. In the semis, don't want to risk pulling another near bagel from Hogan, but this could be a game -- if he's healthy and Brady is back to form and looking for him -- where he does well.

Thoughts?
Call me crazy, but I think Richardson has a big game this week 

Whenever he was on the field, I kept my eye on him to see for this. Physically, he didn't look limited at all, just a couple shots that were inches away from hitting. He got his red zone looks, which was a positive.

Like you said, last week was just a crappy game for the Patriots, and as for Gronk, I think the defense will be more focused on him, opening things up for the outside receivers. If Haden plays this week, he'll likely draw Cooks. Sig mentioned that the Steelers have been prone to big defensive lapses the last couple months, which would only mean good things for Hogan.

Let's not forget his 9/180/2 he dropped on them last season! ;)  *fingers crossed*

Although some think it'll be a slow-it-down Lev Bell kinda game, Brady will keep the pedal to the metal as he's chopping at the bit. Big Ben hot too! Both QB's hang 40 burgers on each other. Whomever has the ball last wins. Everyone keeps fed, including Hogan. Most rankings have him down in the low WR #2 or high WR #3 rankings. The upside is high for Hogan, yet there is also a low floor. That's what we have to consider. I'm considering starting him over T Hill. Sounds crazy, eh!

After reading. The post about about how hogan fared in last years playoff game and knowing brady’s History vs Pitt how can you sit Hogan if he’s healthy and getting targets this weekend?  You’d have to have an elite option to play over him or be out of your mind.  

After reading. The post about about how hogan fared in last years playoff game and knowing brady’s History vs Pitt how can you sit Hogan if he’s healthy and getting targets this weekend?  You’d have to have an elite option to play over him or be out of your mind.  
I'm considering Hogan over AJ Green (up against MNs Rhodes).

Users who are viewing this thread