What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2022 Thread - team only allowed soft foods on filght home for fear of choking again. *** (3 Viewers)

Joey Bosa was activated off IR today and was supposed to have practiced with the team today (haven't seen confirmation on that last part yet).

:football:

They really miss Guyton. The lid is always on this offense without people who can stretch defenses.

IMO this really highlights bad roster construction decisions. In 2021, the Chargers had Allen at WR1, Williams at WR2, and Guyton at WR3, yet drafted WR Palmer in the 3rd round, despite the fact that his skill set doesn't really provide anything they didn't already have in Allen and Williams (e.g., deep speed, elite athleticism).

The only way that seemed to make sense was that the Chargers viewed him as a replacement for either Allen or Williams. So I expected they would let Williams walk rather than signing him to a big contract or franchising him. That plan would have Palmer slotting in for Williams in his second season, and Guyton would still have provided speed as WR3.

Then the team signed Williams for $20M/year. And Palmer surpassed Guyton to become WR3 entering the season. Meaning the team doesn't really have a deep threat among its top 3 WRs, who naturally get most of the WR snaps when healthy. I mean, Allen and Williams can go deep successfully, but neither has true deep speed, so neither is taking the top off the defense.

The team also chose to release Tyron Johnson in final cutdowns in 2021, which was a big surprise to me. He was another WR with great speed. He hasn't done anything since then, so maybe that was the right decision, but he sure seemed to develop strong chemistry with Herbert down the stretch in 2020.

This just seems like a poor allocation of resources, whether that suggests they shouldn't have drafted Palmer (or any WR in 2021) or that they shouldn't have allocated the cap space to re-sign Williams. I like Williams, and I root for him of course, but I did not think that was a wise decision to sign him, given what they had on the roster already and all of the others needs/priorities.

Seems like Carter doesn't even get to try deep routes though I'd think he's a candidate - is he incapable?

Carter has enough speed to get deep (4.44 at pro day in 2015), but a problem with him is he is small. He is listed at 5'8", 188 lbs, whereas Guyton is listed at 6'1", 212 lbs and has longer arms and bigger hands. Guyton is also faster (4.39 at pro day in 2019), despite being considerably bigger. So it stands to reason that Carter wouldn't be as good as a deep threat.
Ekeler ran a 4.48 at his combine - a creative OC might experiment with giving him a deep pattern or two, particularly now that Kelly is proving competent enough to spell him for a set of downs if needed.

Ekeler ran a 4.48 at his combine - a creative OC might experiment with giving him a deep pattern or two, particularly now that Kelly is proving competent enough to spell him for a set of downs if needed.

Too bad the Chargers don't have a creative OC...

Bosa will play against the Rams. Limited snap count I imagine, but it's great to have him back and have him work into real games ahead of the playoffs.

Derwin is out this week, still in the concussion protocol. I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss most, if not all, of next week too.

I am surprised ekeler isn't on the injury report. I still think they'll limit his snaps too. Might be a good week to play Josh Kelley in FF if you're desperate for a RB.

Anyone know anything about Isaiah Spiller? He's been a near zero this season. Looks like another wasted telesco reach of a draft pick. Round tree seems to be RB 3 again.

Getting 5th seed rather than 6th/7th could be a big deal:
  • Playing at JAX or at TEN is a much more appealing matchup than playing at BUF or at CIN... probably at JAX. Not saying it is an easy matchup, but easier than BUF or CIN, and maybe a big weather improvement as well
  • It is theoretically possible the Chargers could host a second round playoff game
I agree with limiting Bosa's snap count, holding James out of this game, and possibly reducing Ekeler's snaps in favor of more for Kelley and maybe Spiller or Michel... not terribly interested in seeing Rountree on offense.

Even with no James and limited snaps for Bosa and Ekeler, the Chargers should win, with Stafford, Kupp, and Donald out. They should be highly motivated, there should be no letdown in effort/focus just because they have locked up the 7th seed.

Staley saying they're not resting starters this week. I have to believe there will be limited time for many of them if the Ravens lose before the Chargers play. People are talking about Pipkins and Ekeler needing some rest, but I'd like to see Herbert get as much time off as possible too. I realize you want the offense clicking going into the playoffs, but I think health is more important.

Staley saying they're not resting starters this week. I have to believe there will be limited time for many of them if the Ravens lose before the Chargers play. People are talking about Pipkins and Ekeler needing some rest, but I'd like to see Herbert get as much time off as possible too. I realize you want the offense clicking going into the playoffs, but I think health is more important.

IMO any player with any recent/current/lingering issues should sit or play limited snaps if the Ravens lose, and any healthy starters should play the first half, maybe some/all of 3Q depending on the game situation.

If the Ravens win, I could still see limited snaps for players with issues, but I would otherwise pull out all the stops to win.

Eerily quiet week. Seems like they still need a W to lock up the 5 seed, as I have no idea what will go on in the Bengals / Ravens game.

Also seems like pretty much nobody is taking the Chargers into consideration when talking about the AFC playoffs / contenders. Granted their strength of schedule isn't very impressive at this point, but 10 or 11 wins isn't nothing, and they seem to be getting healthy at the right time.

Eerily quiet week. Seems like they still need a W to lock up the 5 seed, as I have no idea what will go on in the Bengals / Ravens game.

Also seems like pretty much nobody is taking the Chargers into consideration when talking about the AFC playoffs / contenders. Granted their strength of schedule isn't very impressive at this point, but 10 or 11 wins isn't nothing, and they seem to be getting healthy at the right time.
they are dangerous and probably the team most capable of upsetting the big 3

It can always be worse, but that was pretty much the antithesis of how you'd have liked to approach a meaningless last game of the regular season, with the somewhat anticipated sub-optimal outcomes attached. Then Staley's post game presser somehow made things worse. Not how you want to head into the playoffs.

It can always be worse, but that was pretty much the antithesis of how you'd have liked to approach a meaningless last game of the regular season, with the somewhat anticipated sub-optimal outcomes attached. Then Staley's post game presser somehow made things worse. Not how you want to head into the playoffs.
I agree with you, but the Chargers seem to be getting a pass in the NFL talking heads circles because Dallas lost yesterday and looked worse

I agree with you, but the Chargers seem to be getting a pass in the NFL talking heads circles because Dallas lost yesterday and looked worse
No one cares about or talks about the Chargers but us. And, frankly, why should they? The Chargers haven't won anything since the merger.

No one cares about or talks about the Chargers but us. And, frankly, why should they? The Chargers haven't won anything since the merger.
I'd love to see the Chargers make some noise in these playoffs. I drafted Herbert as a rookie in my only dynasty league and have really come to enjoy watching them and I agree, they barely ever get any love. Hope that changes soon.

His press conference was bad. I have noticed that he has good press conferences after wins, but is more hit or miss after losses. He sometimes reacts poorly to criticism.

However, though he handled the press conference poorly, I think there was some merit in his arguments about playing players. My reasoning:
  • Week 17 was the first good game for the offense in several weeks. I absolutely felt they needed more work to build on that and hopefully enter the postseason performing well.
  • Bosa and James both needed snaps with the first team to get back to game speed after missing time due to injuries.
  • As Staley indicated, the team could only have a max of 48 active players. Looking at it throughout the regular season, the team used 17-20 offensive players, 16-20 defensive players, and 6-8 special teams players who did not play on offense/defense. That is 39-48 players.
  • It was appropriate to give all players dealing with current or recent injuries fewer snaps than usual... and that happened.
  • It was also appropriate to pull healthy starters at an appropriate point and skew snaps more to the depth players in the various rotations... and that happened. It was just unfortunate that Williams took the hit that led to his back spasms before they reached that point on offense.
I think the only legit criticism of Staley's game/playing time management comes down to not pulling certain offensive starters at the half (e.g., Herbert, Williams (but would have been too late), Allen, Ekeler, Pipkins) and turning to vanilla, run focused offense to burn the clock and minimize the number of WRs that needed to be on the field.

The worst thing about the game was giving up 31 points to the Broncos, a team last in the league in scoring and averaging 17.9 ppg, with a previous season high of 28 points. And they scored 24 points before the Chargers moved more to their backups. At this point, there is no reason to believe the defense is ready to go to Jacksonville and shut down the Jags, who have averaged 29 ppg over their past 8 games.

I think the only legit criticism of Staley's game/playing time management comes down to not pulling certain offensive starters at the half (e.g., Herbert, Williams (but would have been too late), Allen, Ekeler, Pipkins) and turning to vanilla, run focused offense to burn the clock and minimize the number of WRs that needed to be on the field.

The worst thing about the game was giving up 31 points to the Broncos, a team last in the league in scoring and averaging 17.9 ppg, with a previous season high of 28 points. And they scored 24 points before the Chargers moved more to their backups. At this point, there is no reason to believe the defense is ready to go to Jacksonville and shut down the Jags, who have averaged 29 ppg over their past 8 games.
Agree on both counts. You can't sit everybody, but once they scored their first two TDs in good fashion, it was time to sit as many key personnel as possible. He could have explored making a few people inactive with mystery injuries as well.

The D looked completely checked out in the 2nd half. I sure hope that's not how they approach Saturday.

Slater was activated for the 21 day practice window. Staley has already said he won't be playing this week against the Jaguars, but if they win maybe next week at KC...

Mike Williams didn't practice this week and is listed as questionable for the game Saturday. :oldunsure:

At least no-one else is on the injury report.

Mike Williams is out 2-3 weeks with a back fracture.

Glad he got some reps in last weeks game though.

Staley probably isn't on thin ice, but he probably should be. The outcome of this week's game seems to have become more important to his ongoing tenure with the team that it should have.

Mike Williams is out 2-3 weeks with a back fracture.

Glad he got some reps in last weeks game though.

Staley probably isn't on thin ice, but he probably should be. The outcome of this week's game seems to have become more important to his ongoing tenure with the team that it should have.
Obvioulsy it would be nice to have Williams but this one is going to come down to Etienne in my opinion. If they can keep him in check the Chargers win even without Williams. But that's a big if. And if Etienne is running and the Chargers go the hurry up early and don't convert, that's going to let the Jags neutralize Herbert and they win. Let's see if Staley can play this correctlry...

I'm like a kid in the candy store, trying to figure out which special ineptitude treat I'd like to focus on first. On second thought, let's forget about the whole thing.

Do I start a 2023 thread or can someone else do it this time?

Charger suck.always have, always will. What a joke last night.fire everyone. I soooooooooooooooooo tired of talking heads saying the chargers are going places in the postseason.
dan fouts couldnt get them anywhere neither did Rivers, neither will Sherbet,
god I hate the chargers

I'm like a kid in the candy store, trying to figure out which special ineptitude treat I'd like to focus on first. On second thought, let's forget about the whole thing.

Do I start a 2023 thread or can someone else do it this time?
You are the Chargers’ Job. I say fire up the thread GB.

2023 Roster Thoughts - Entering Offseason

TL;DR - the cap challenge is serious, and the team is going to be less talented in 2023.
They need to seriously consider moving on from Bosa. He's not worth the money. I have no idea who would trade for him though. What would be the hit if they outright released him?

Stuck with him another year. Release is -14MM in cap savings

Khalil Mack and Keenan Allen being cut generates 16MM in savings but what are your alternatives? JC Jackson contract is haunting.

2023 Roster Thoughts - Entering Offseason

TL;DR - the cap challenge is serious, and the team is going to be less talented in 2023.
They need to seriously consider moving on from Bosa. He's not worth the money. I have no idea who would trade for him though. What would be the hit if they outright released him?

Stuck with him another year. Release is -14MM in cap savings

Khalil Mack and Keenan Allen being cut generates 16MM in savings but what are your alternatives? JC Jackson contract is haunting.

Agree on Bosa. The Chargers are at least $25M over the cap even after they release Feiler. They are already going to be challenged just to get in the black without trading/releasing players like Allen and/or Mack, which will really hurt.

Not only can they not afford to take a major negative cap impact from trading Bosa, I don't see how they get in the black without restructuring Bosa's contract, and that means pushing cap hits into future seasons by converting salary to bonus. That will make it more impactful to trade/re;ease him in the future.

This illustrates what hurt so bad about the way this season ended... this was their "all in" season. They are unlikely to hve a roster as talented as their 2022 roster in 2023 and beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread