What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2022 Thread - team only allowed soft foods on filght home for fear of choking again. *** (2 Viewers)

These Chargers players who were on the opening day roster will miss the week 9 game:

WR Allen
WR Williams
WR Guyton
TE Parham
RB Kelley
LT Slater
Edge Bosa
Edge Rumph
IDL Tillery
CB Jackson
PK Hopkins

That is 42% of the cap value of the Chargers final roster to open the season. I don't know how to easily find the answer to this, but I speculate that is the highest percentage of cap dollars missing due to injury for any team in the league.

Fehoko has been promoted from the practice squad to take Johnson's roster spot. Among him, Covington, and Tillery, someone is going to need to step up this week if they're going to have any chance of not giving up 800 yards to the 49ers running game. They're going to get trucked though, it's just a question of degree.

Tilllery has finally been excised from the team. I'd say it's strange timing since they're down a DT already, but it sounds like something was going on with Tillery as he missed Wed and Thu practice for personal reasons. The stranger thing is, they've made no move to add a DT. Seems like a problem heading in to facing the 49ers today.

Tilllery has finally been excised from the team. I'd say it's strange timing since they're down a DT already, but it sounds like something was going on with Tillery as he missed Wed and Thu practice for personal reasons. The stranger thing is, they've made no move to add a DT. Seems like a problem heading in to facing the 49ers today.

I think it is very strange that they have not signed an IDL player (e.g., Gaziano) to the 53 man roster. Even stranger, they signed RB Rountree to the 53 man roster, meaning they are carrying 4 RBs and a FB.

Regarding the IDL, they have 5 IDL players on the 53 man roster - SJD, Fox, Covington, Fehoko, and Ogonnia. They have had exactly 5 IDL players active in every game so far this season, so the numbers work as long as that remaining group is healthy. That said, the team to this point had given 477 IDL snaps to Johnson (287) and Tillery (190), compared to just 217 combined for Ogbonnia (128), Covington (89), and Fehoko (0). The IDL play had been better than 2021, but I expect it will slip now (moreso due to Johnson than Tillery, but Tillery was playing ahead of Ogbonnia, Covington, and Fehoko).

Well, mixed emotions about that game. I think the players fought the best they could given the circumstances, but it's still a loss. Obviously big trouble now at DT. Herbert really got beaten up, I think the offensive line and blocking schemes were about good as they could be given who they had available, but the bottom line is too many backups out there. I'm worried about long term damage to Herbert until they can get things shored up.

Lombardi needs to go, or at least be demoted to a lesser role with a more capable person installed as offensive coordinator. Granted there's only so much you can do with the players available at this point, but his playcalling is abysmal even so. No adjustments, not enough creativity within the confines of who was available, and the constant ****ing running on 1st down - maddening. Also, lets retire the jet sweep permanently. They had like 52 yards in total offense, lopsided TOP the wrong way ,and 0 points in the 2nd half. Yes, personnel issues, but still.

Well, mixed emotions about that game. I think the players fought the best they could given the circumstances, but it's still a loss. Obviously big trouble now at DT. Herbert really got beaten up, I think the offensive line and blocking schemes were about good as they could be given who they had available, but the bottom line is too many backups out there. I'm worried about long term damage to Herbert until they can get things shored up.

Lombardi needs to go, or at least be demoted to a lesser role with a more capable person installed as offensive coordinator. Granted there's only so much you can do with the players available at this point, but his playcalling is abysmal even so. No adjustments, not enough creativity within the confines of who was available, and the constant ****ing running on 1st down - maddening. Also, lets retire the jet sweep permanently. They had like 52 yards in total offense, lopsided TOP the wrong way ,and 0 points in the 2nd half. Yes, personnel issues, but still.
With KC up next we are in big trouble. I think it’s safe to expect a loss and then they’ll be down the list of wild card hopefuls.

With KC up next we are in big trouble. I think it’s safe to expect a loss and then they’ll be down the list of wild card hopefuls.
Yes, expecting the loss this next week too. Unfortunate that they got flexed into the Sunday night game again.

Hopefully the injured that can return start returning after that and they can go like 5-2 to close things out.

Unfortunate that they got flexed into the Sunday night game again.

As an East Coast guy without Sunday Ticket, I'm glad for the flex. I normally have to take what I can get from Red Zone...
I guess any Charger game is better than none in your case. Just wish they would have flexed a game later in the season when they might have more of their players available. Like maybe the Titans game.

Ogbonnia and Covington out for the year. There have been lots of miserable seasons for this team injury wise, but I'm pretty sure it's never been this bad. They have to kick the tires on Suh or someone else now - right? How much do they have to spend to pick someone up?

As mentioned in the Raider thread here earlier, the Raiders picked up Tillery.

Ogbonnia and Covington out for the year. There have been lots of miserable seasons for this team injury wise, but I'm pretty sure it's never been this bad. They have to kick the tires on Suh or someone else now - right? How much do they have to spend to pick someone up?

It seems that they managed the Tillery situation poorly. Setting that aside, it seems like a nobrainer that they will now sign Gaziano to the 53 man roster, while also needing to sign at least one more IDL player to the 53 man roster and at least one more to the practice squad.

It seems that they managed the Tillery situation poorly. Setting that aside, it seems like a nobrainer that they will now sign Gaziano to the 53 man roster, while also needing to sign at least one more IDL player to the 53 man roster and at least one more to the practice squad.
So they'll be signing 3 more running backs any minute now...

Brandon Staley said both Allen and Williams will practice this week.

I imagine MW won’t actually suit up until Week 12 but he’s right on pace for the original diagnosis.

Keenan? WTF knows

Last edited:
They signed some DT named Tyeler Davison from Browns practice squad. At least they signed someone who plays a position of need I guess. :shrug:

They signed some other DT named David Moa (who appears not to have been affiliated with any NFL team at the time of this signing) to the practice squad. I'll reserve judgement until he shows up in a game, but I just can't help but have the "this is the best they could do?" feeling.

Anyways, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams participated in individual drills today. Pipkins practiced today, and it sounds like Everett could be back this week too. Maybe the Sunday night game won't be as lopsided as I initially thought.

Chargers/Dolphins flexed to Sunday Week 14. Really hope I'm not playing against Hill and Tua the way I was against Mahomes and Kelce during the last Sunday matchup. Double pain.

Chargers/Dolphins flexed to Sunday Week 14. Really hope I'm not playing against Hill and Tua the way I was against Mahomes and Kelce during the last Sunday matchup. Double pain.
💪
First things first - the Chargers need to not gag again against the Raiders when they need a win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Jacobs could run for 1000 yards this week.

💪
First things first - the Chargers need to not gag again against the Raiders when they need a win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Jacobs could run for 1000 yards this week.
You’re not wrong about Jacobs. Adam’s could go long 2 or 3 times too. We need Herbert to score ever time he touches the ball.

Linsley, Pipkins, and Williams all missed practice yesterday. Could be another ragged week for the offense.

Might be time to think about shutting some people down for the rest of the year. I don't think they'll get healthy enough to win against Miami, and they can't afford another loss.

This means they'll now have wasted the 1st three years of Justin Herbert's career, which comes after several previous wasted seasons with Rivers. Continuing to miss the playoffs when you have that caliber of QB playing for you is inexcusable. Injuries have ruined another season, basically as soon as it started. Somewhere in the personnel planning and decision making the fact that you keep assembling injury prone teams that can't function when missing some players needs to be accounted for. Yet that doesn't happen.

This is a bad organization. They lucked into some quality players but they can't do anything with them. I'm again concerned about how much damage Herbert is taking. They can't protect the guy. How long do you keep running him out there like that? I know they'll leave him in all season, or until he gets seriously hurt.

I'll keep the lights on here, but there's not much point to it.

James, Callahan, and Joseph-Day are all doubtful. Pipkins as well.

The Chargers are going to have to score like 40+ somehow if they want to win this one. Looks like Linsley and Williams will play...

I'm just hoping at this point that Staley can show Payton around the offices and point out where the coffee machine is...Well, I don't even trust him to do that that. An intern can do that.

Next time I question the value of Mike Williams, remind me of this game.

That was some defense tonight.

Herbert looks healthy again, better delivery and ability to move. Having linsley is huge too.

If they can get some guys back on D, they'll really raise my hopes to then traditionally crush them at the end of the season.

Lombardi still sucks though. Many mind numbingly bad playcalls. I give him some credit for getting Herbert out of the pocket more, and that's probably because Herbert is moving better now. They still need an upgrade at OC.

Looks like Parham will play Sunday. If Pipkins can go, this is about as full a deck on offense they could have at this point. I haven't been following the Titans much, what's the state of their defense?

Bryce Callahan, Sebastian Joseph-Day, and Trey Pipkins are questionable

Derwin James is doubtful

Not as bad as I expected, hopefully some of the questionables actually play.

That game hurt my brain, but I'll enjoy the W. Have I mentioned Lombardi needs to go? He does.

I think Murray was a net positive today. Is Staley's defense coming together?

Herbert has now started 46 games, and the Chargers are 23-23 in those games.

Herbert has 13 game winning drives in those 23 wins. That is 57%. I don't know how to easily compare percentage of wins that included a GWD for other QBs, but I doubt anyone else is close to 57%.

In addition:
  1. In his first start in 2020 week 2 vs. KC, he led the Chargers to a go ahead FG with 2:31 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost in OT.
  2. In 2020 week 6 at New Orleans, he led the Chargers to a go ahead TD with 3:40 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost in OT.
  3. In 2021 week 15 vs. KC, he led the Chargers to a go ahead TD with 2:19 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost in OT.
  4. In 2022 week 11 vs. KC, he led the Chargers to a go ahead TD with 1:46 remaining, but the defense could not hold and the Chargers lost.

Last edited:
How do we feel about Staley now? Lombardi aside.

Seems like Staley might be figuring things out, there's really only one facet of the team that seems off right now.

How do we feel about Staley now? Lombardi aside.

Seems like Staley might be figuring things out, there's really only one facet of the team that seems off right now.

Staley seems to have simplified the defense for the DBs the past two weeks with James out, and that seems to have helped a lot. I hope he retains those changes when James returns. Prior to the past couple of weeks, my sense was that the DBs were too often confused on their assignments. Not sure why it took him so long to adjust.

I see no reason for particular optimism that the offense will get fixed this season. It would need to be a big turnaround in order for Lombardi to keep his job IMO.

Staley made a good call on the end of game timeout usage yesterday. At other times in the past, he has made some time management mistakes. Hopefully he is improving.

Seems like they are now on track for the playoffs, which could mean both Bosa and Slater return in addition to James. If they are ready to play, that is a huge positive impact.

PFF grades came out today and LInsely and FIler came out pretty low, which correlates with my subjective thoughts on how they played yesterday. I'm hoping these guys can start picking it up as we head through the end of the season. The poor line play had a lot to do with the shoddy overall offensive output. It was odd, they did well on the opening drive and then seemed to regress as the game went on.

Gaziano will be out with a groin injury for a while, which really sucks as he was starting to make an impact. Time for Bosa to return.

I completely feel your Lombardi pain. He was terrible at the Lions as our OC and pretty much wasted the best D we’d had in decades, with his ****ty scheme that completely neutered Stafford and good WR room

Wow, how surprising is it that they have clinched a playoff spot with two weeks to go? I had high expectations entering the season, but they were pretty low when the team was sitting at 6-6 after the Raiders loss. I would not have projected them to win the next 3 games at that point, with a chance to finish the season 5-0. Glad they have proven me wrong.

Staley's job was likely never in doubt for 2023, but we know he is going to be back now barring some shocking turn of events. So Sean Payton will have to look elsewhere.

That said, I absolutely expect OC Lombardi to be gone after the season, and possibly DC Hill as well, since the Chargers arguably need Staley to turn over the defense to the DC to focus on his HC duties, which he has not done with Hill.

You think Staley and the management are self aware enough to know Lombardi is holding this team back in the face of a winning record and a playoff appearance? I have doubts. I sure hope they understand what they've been doing on offense these last 5 weeks or so won't lead to any playoff wins against the teams they'll likely face.

They really miss Guyton. The lid is always on this offense without people who can stretch defenses. The absence of such a player (or two) is criminal given Herbert's abilities. Seems like Carter doesn't even get to try deep routes though I'd think he's a candidate - is he incapable?

Of course, to consider going deep at all you need to have time to throw. Herbert's been sacked 16 times in the last 4 games I think, and pressured a ton even when not sacked. The offensive line has been pretty crummy of late even with 4 of 5 starters available. This is a problem, not just for the pass game, but they can't run block, like at all.

Last edited:
They really miss Guyton. The lid is always on this offense without people who can stretch defenses.

IMO this really highlights bad roster construction decisions. In 2021, the Chargers had Allen at WR1, Williams at WR2, and Guyton at WR3, yet drafted WR Palmer in the 3rd round, despite the fact that his skill set doesn't really provide anything they didn't already have in Allen and Williams (e.g., deep speed, elite athleticism).

The only way that seemed to make sense was that the Chargers viewed him as a replacement for either Allen or Williams. So I expected they would let Williams walk rather than signing him to a big contract or franchising him. That plan would have Palmer slotting in for Williams in his second season, and Guyton would still have provided speed as WR3.

Then the team signed Williams for $20M/year. And Palmer surpassed Guyton to become WR3 entering the season. Meaning the team doesn't really have a deep threat among its top 3 WRs, who naturally get most of the WR snaps when healthy. I mean, Allen and Williams can go deep successfully, but neither has true deep speed, so neither is taking the top off the defense.

The team also chose to release Tyron Johnson in final cutdowns in 2021, which was a big surprise to me. He was another WR with great speed. He hasn't done anything since then, so maybe that was the right decision, but he sure seemed to develop strong chemistry with Herbert down the stretch in 2020.

This just seems like a poor allocation of resources, whether that suggests they shouldn't have drafted Palmer (or any WR in 2021) or that they shouldn't have allocated the cap space to re-sign Williams. I like Williams, and I root for him of course, but I did not think that was a wise decision to sign him, given what they had on the roster already and all of the others needs/priorities.

Seems like Carter doesn't even get to try deep routes though I'd think he's a candidate - is he incapable?

Carter has enough speed to get deep (4.44 at pro day in 2015), but a problem with him is he is small. He is listed at 5'8", 188 lbs, whereas Guyton is listed at 6'1", 212 lbs and has longer arms and bigger hands. Guyton is also faster (4.39 at pro day in 2019), despite being considerably bigger. So it stands to reason that Carter wouldn't be as good as a deep threat.

Staley's job was likely never in doubt for 2023, but we know he is going to be back now barring some shocking turn of events. So Sean Payton will have to look elsewhere.
I don't see this at all. If Payton is available I can see the "low rent" Chargers throwing Staley aside faster than a bad cannoli. They need a splash signing just to attract "fans" away from their landlord Rams. Spanos isn't what you'd call smart though...so... yeah. Maybe not.

I don't see this at all. If Payton is available I can see the "low rent" Chargers throwing Staley aside faster than a bad cannoli. They need a splash signing just to attract "fans" away from their landlord Rams. Spanos isn't what you'd call smart though...so... yeah. Maybe not.

Since Dean Spanos took over, have the Chargers ever had a coach who was top 5 in head coach pay? I'm pretty confident the answer is no. And coaching salaries have skyrocketed over the past decade. They would probably have to pay Sean Payton $10M+ per year. Staley makes $1M/year.

On top of that, Payton has been reportedly building an "all star" coaching staff. I know Fangio will reportedly be his DC, not sure about others. That implies spending more on the assistant coaches as well as the head coach. As an example, I'm sure Fangio would be paid much higher than current DC Hill.

I can't see Dean spending the money. The Chargers' cash flow isn't great for an NFL franchise.

Aside from all that, no way they fire Staley after making the playoffs in his second season. Zero chance, unless something extremely unlikely happens, like him punching a player, getting arrested for a felony, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread