What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2022 Thread - team only allowed soft foods on filght home for fear of choking again. *** (1 Viewer)

On a side note, are there any sources out there that do this the right way? Comparing total dollars per season is obviously wrong. The comparison should be percentage of (projected) salary cap per season, not dollars per season. Twenty million in 2019 is obviously not the same as twenty million in 2023. Whenever somebody signs a new contract, it always looks weird on those ranking list because his dollars are all in future years while people with existing contracts include past years without going so far into the future.
Yeah, in my comments above hoping they front load his cap hit to this year, maybe that's a bad idea considering the cap ceiling just keeps going up - in that case it may be better to keep deferring significant cap hit to out years where it becomes part of a bigger cap pie.

LOVE this move. Mack would have a monster year in 2022 and with Bosa, Mack, and James, the Bolts have 3 All Pro-ish talents on defense.  

Well done TT.  
I like the move for you guys but seems pricey. Mack is far from “All Pro-ish” at this point in his career. 

I like the move for you guys but seems pricey. Mack is far from “All Pro-ish” at this point in his career. 
Strong disagree here. Mack is probably the best DE in the NFL. He faces double and triple teams every play, especially when Hicks was hurt. 

Chargers have the best pass rush in the NFL right now, and will unless Von Miller stays in LA. Gonna be a lot of sacks in Sofi.

I just don't know how much you can depend on him given the age and the mileage. 

Telesco's 2nd round picks to date:

Jeremiah Attaochu

Denzel Perryman

Hunter Henry

Forrest Lamp

Uchenna Nwosu

Nasir Adderley

Joshua Kelley

Asante Samuel Jr.

Given that - maybe the best use of a 2nd rounder is spending it on an old broken down former-all pro pass rusher?

I just don't know how much you can depend on him given the age and the mileage. 

Telesco's 2nd round picks to date:

Jeremiah Attaochu

Denzel Perryman

Hunter Henry

Forrest Lamp

Uchenna Nwosu

Nasir Adderley

Joshua Kelley

Asante Samuel Jr.

Given that - maybe the best use of a 2nd rounder is spending it on an old broken down former-all pro pass rusher?
Kelley was a 4th round pick. And you missed Teo ( :X  ). So the track record is actually worse than you showed here.

That said, I don't agree with the logic that, because Telesco has sucked at [insert draft round] picks, let's devalue the picks and throw them away. Not saying that is what you meant, just saying I don't agree with that philosophy... which makes me not care about what the second round picks have been with regard to evaluating this move.

I like this move. It's an all-in move, and I can't remember if Telesco ever made one of those before now. :thumbup:  

Kelley was a 4th round pick. And you missed Teo ( :X  ). So the track record is actually worse than you showed here.

That said, I don't agree with the logic that, because Telesco has sucked at [insert draft round] picks, let's devalue the picks and throw them away. Not saying that is what you meant, just saying I don't agree with that philosophy... which makes me not care about what the second round picks have been with regard to evaluating this move.

I like this move. It's an all-in move, and I can't remember if Telesco ever made one of those before now. :thumbup:  
Duh with Kelly - they didn't even have a 2nd round pick that year because Murray. I did miss Teo (who they gave up additional draft pick to get,  right)?

I was being somewhat sarcastic with that list. BUT are they more likely to find an impact edge rusher with using that 2nd rounder on a rookie or trading that 2nd rounder and a 6th to gamble on Mack?

I like the gamble too. I'm sure I'll end up regretting it years from now when Mack turns out to be Bulaga II Electric Boogaloo.

In trading for Mack instead of re-signing Nwosu, the Chargers give up a second and sixth, but they'll get a compensatory pick. Also, Mack's contract is extremely team-friendly since the Bears already covered the signing bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, details on Mike Williams's contract are out.

$14M cap hit this year, $19M cap hit next year, $27M cap hit the 3rd year or $7M dead cap hit if they cut him after year 2.

Seems o.k., doubt he ever sees year 3 (maybe the cap ceiling will keep jumping up and that'll look like a bargain by then  :shrug: ). Next year at $19M - might be the end of Keenan Allen, unless restructure.
3 year deals are usually 1-2 year scenarios, Year 3 is usually.a restructure or extension or release. 

Mack excite you?

Mack excite you?
Cautiously optimistic - waiting to see how things go in training camp, preseason regarding his health and current level of play.

Beyond just the Chargers, as a Lakers fan, I've seen how trading for "old" all stars doesn't always turn out so great.

In trading for Mack instead of re-signing Nwosu, the Chargers give up a second and sixth, but they'll get a compensatory pick. Also, Mack's contract is extremely team-friendly since the Bears already covered the signing bonus.
I understand the point, but he will have a $17M cap hit in 2022 and more later if they don't release him. It is team-friendly because they can release him without repercussions, but he still has a very significant cap hit for as many seasons as he is on the Chargers roster. I like the move to get him, just not sure I would characterize his contract as "team-friendly."

I understand the point, but he will have a $17M cap hit in 2022 and more later if they don't release him. It is team-friendly because they can release him without repercussions, but he still has a very significant cap hit for as many seasons as he is on the Chargers roster. I like the move to get him, just not sure I would characterize his contract as "team-friendly."
I hear you: he's not cheap. But he's cheap for a premium player. His contract is team-friendly in two ways:

1. He'll count $8 million per year less against the cap for the Chargers than he would have for the Bears. (There's still $24 million worth of signing bonus to prorate over the next three seasons.) So while he'll count roughly $18M, $23M, and $23M against the cap for the Chargers in 2022-2024, he'd have counted roughly $26M, $31M, and $31M against the cap during those years if the Chargers had originally signed him to the same contract that the Bears did. The Chargers are getting him at a significant discount compared to what his perceived market value was at the time he signed his contract. (Admittedly, his market value has fallen since then.)

2. As you mention, the Chargers can release him at any time without taking on any dead cap space. His contract is purely a series of options for the team. If after 2022 it looks like Mack isn't worth his $23M salary in 2023, the Chargers can release him with no penalty. This also gives the Chargers leverage to renegotiate his salary downward instead of releasing him if that makes more sense. (Of course, the Chargers did not give up draft capital for a player they expect to release -- but it's an option if things don't work out.)

Contrary to what might seem like common sense, the normal trajectory for players as they age is not to decline slowly from season to season. Rather, the more common pattern is for them to play at their normal level (with normal yearly variation both up and down) until they go off the edge and somewhat suddenly start to suck. If Mack keeps playing at his normal level for a few years, revealing 2021 to be an instance of temporary downward variation, he will be a bargain during that time. If it's his time to fall off a cliff, he can be released with no further cap hit. In summary, there is significant upside with very little downside. I like this trade a lot.

Maurile Tremblay said:
I hear you: he's not cheap. But he's cheap for a premium player. His contract is team-friendly in two ways:

1. He'll count $8 million per year less against the cap for the Chargers than he would have for the Bears. (There's still $24 million worth of signing bonus to prorate over the next three seasons.) So while he'll count roughly $18M, $23M, and $23M against the cap for the Chargers in 2022-2024, he'd have counted roughly $26M, $29M, and $29M against the cap during those years if the Chargers had originally signed him to the same contract that the Bears did. The Chargers are getting him at a significant discount compared to what his perceived market value was at the time he signed his contract. (Admittedly, his market value has fallen since then.)

2. As you mention, the Chargers can release him at any time without taking on any dead cap space. His contract is purely a series of options for the team. If after 2022 it looks like Mack isn't worth his $23M salary in 2023, the Chargers can release him with no penalty. This also gives the Chargers leverage to renegotiate his salary downward instead of releasing him if that makes more sense. (Of course, the Chargers did not give up draft capital for a player they expect to release -- but it's an option if things don't work out.)

Contrary to what might seem like common sense, the normal trajectory for players as they age is not to decline slowly from season to season. Rather, the more common pattern is for them to play at their normal level (with normal yearly variation both up and down) until they go off the edge and somewhat suddenly start to suck. If Mack keeps playing at his normal level for a few years, revealing 2021 to be an instance of temporary downward variation, he will be a bargain during that time. If it's his time to fall off a cliff, he can be released with no further cap hit. In summary, there is significant upside with very little downside. I like this trade a lot.
This is also the kind of move the Chargers historically don’t make to address a position of need. I’m cautiously optimistic. 

Chargers tendered Parham. Reports related to that seem to indicate he's healthy. I've seen some suggestions that with Parham returning the Chargers might not need to do any additional relatively significant moves for TE. I'd be nervous if they went into the season with Parham, McKitty and some other scrub as the TE plan. I don't know that I'd be thrilled to have Cook back, but expecting Parham to be the guy and make it through the whole season...

Chargers tendered Parham. Reports related to that seem to indicate he's healthy. I've seen some suggestions that with Parham returning the Chargers might not need to do any additional relatively significant moves for TE. I'd be nervous if they went into the season with Parham, McKitty and some other scrub as the TE plan. I don't know that I'd be thrilled to have Cook back, but expecting Parham to be the guy and make it through the whole season...
There are quite a few FA tight ends and there may be some cuts coming from teams as well. I do not think they would head into the season without adding another proven commodity at the TE position.

This is also the kind of move the Chargers historically don’t make to address a position of need. I’m cautiously optimistic. 
Telesco had only ever traded any draft picks for a player two times -- 7th for Sean Lissemore and 7th for Cardale Jones. And IIRC both 7ths were conditional. So this is new ground for Telesco.

I like the move. What sells me on it the most is Staley's close relationship with Mack, and his close personal knowledge of Mack the player and person from being his position coach in 2018.

They also tendered WR Guyton and T Norton.

As for TE, I think they will re-sign Stephen Anderson, but I still think they might want (need) to sign a veteran TE1 for one more season. I hope it isn't Cook.

2022 Roster Thoughts - Entering Free Agency

TL;DR - Obviously, there are a ton of assumptions and most will probably turn out wrong. But it was an interesting exercise that seems to show that the Chargers could have a really strong roster this year if things break right and they make good decisions.

One thing I didn't mention there is that there is now another option to free up cap space. They could convert $6M of Mack's salary to signing bonus and clear $4M of his cap number for this season. They would then have $4M in dead cap if they wanted to release or trade him after this season and $2M in dead cap after 2023. But like @Maurile Tremblay posted, you don't make this trade if you have much concern about needing to release him after 1-2 seasons. And those aren't big numbers, so the consequences would be pretty minimal even if they did.

I doubt they will do it, moreso because of the increases to his 2023 and 2024 cap hits than the dead money risk. But it's an option.

Hopkins gets a 3 year deal. I'm not sure who the Chargers were bidding against when upping him from the Vet minimum. I understand the enthusiasm somewhat when comparing Hopkins to what they've had at K the last 5 years or so, but I think they might be overpaying a tad here for a guy whose range is basically 48 yards and in. I'm not up on K compensation, maybe this is an accurate valuation in comparison to his peers?

Chargers going for it, I like it. Get a right tackle, tight end, and another big body to stop the run in the middle and you guys are in great shape.

Chargers are signing DT Sebastian Joseph-Day.

I have no idea what they'll be targeting with their draft picks now. Maybe they really will use a 3rd or 4th rounder on super punter...

Chargers are signing DT Sebastian Joseph-Day.

I have no idea what they'll be targeting with their draft picks now. Maybe they really will use a 3rd or 4th rounder on super punter...
Putting themselves in a position to go BPA.  You can always use another OL, DL, CB.  You can never have too many at those positions.

It's interesting that they haven't pulled the rip cord on Bulaga yet. Maybe they wait until after the draft to see if they pick up a replacement that way and then cut him. I can't believe they're going to pay him the money currently owed. Maybe they're working on redoing his contract, or giving him a chance to retire?

It's interesting that they haven't pulled the rip cord on Bulaga yet. Maybe they wait until after the draft to see if they pick up a replacement that way and then cut him. I can't believe they're going to pay him the money currently owed. Maybe they're working on redoing his contract, or giving him a chance to retire?
The rip cord has been pulled. Frees up $10.7M more cap space this year.

Nwosu signs with the Seahawks, 2 years, $20M, $10.5M guaranteed. It'll be interesting to compare Mack's contribution against Nwosu's up in Seattle over the next couple of years. Hoping the Chargers chose wisely.

Chargers re-sign DT Christian Covington for another season. :shrug:

I hope this doesn't mean they won't go DT if that's the best player available to them in the 1st round.

TE Gerald Everett signed, 2 years, $12M, $8M guaranteed.

Seems like a reasonable deal. Maybe he'll realize a bit more of his potential, though at his age, he might just be what he's been so far in the league. Regardless, it's another move that will let the Chargers do a bit more BPA with their drafting. They've avoided adding to the right side of the OL to this point, so maybe that's 1st priority now either with remaining cap space or with the draft picks.

Well, they've signed J.K. Scott, a punter. Not sure he'll end up being the punter, but at least they have one reserved. Less temptation to draft Araiza too early - if that was even a consideration for them (as opposed to all the fans currently clamoring for him).

Lots of ways to go with the draft picks now. A good position to be in. Thinking they still need to focus on OT/G/DT first.

2022 Roster Thoughts - 1 Week Into Free Agency

TL;DR - This seems like Telesco's best offseason yet, and his 2021 offseason was also one of his best. Putting these back to back seems like it is setting the team up for a truly successful run.

The pass rush, run defense, and secondary play should all be improved. IMO Everett will be better than Cook. They have enough cap space to sign 4-5 more free agents, whether internal or external, including 1-2 high(er) salary free agents. They still need to address a couple OL spots, but, otherwise, their needs are mostly depth positions at this point.

I think they have done enough so far to create a true BPA scenario in the draft, meaning they could draft any position in the first round. Starting OL is still the most significant need, but they could actually address that in free agency before the draft if they so choose. If they do that, I would warm to the possibility of a first round (hopefully stud) WR.

2022 Roster Thoughts - 1 Week Into Free Agency

TL;DR - This seems like Telesco's best offseason yet, and his 2021 offseason was also one of his best. Putting these back to back seems like it is setting the team up for a truly successful run.

The pass rush, run defense, and secondary play should all be improved. IMO Everett will be better than Cook. They have enough cap space to sign 4-5 more free agents, whether internal or external, including 1-2 high(er) salary free agents. They still need to address a couple OL spots, but, otherwise, their needs are mostly depth positions at this point.

I think they have done enough so far to create a true BPA scenario in the draft, meaning they could draft any position in the first round. Starting OL is still the most significant need, but they could actually address that in free agency before the draft if they so choose. If they do that, I would warm to the possibility of a first round (hopefully stud) WR.
Good stuff. Does your fan post need an update to include Everett?

Kyzir White signs with the Eagles, 1 year $5M. Seems like the Chargers could have afforded that, I'm hoping they just have some other realistic plan for the LB group that didn't include White for whatever reason.

Kyzir White signs with the Eagles, 1 year $5M. Seems like the Chargers could have afforded that, I'm hoping they just have some other realistic plan for the LB group that didn't include White for whatever reason.
Staley said he likes White but doesn't value the position. :shrug:  

Chargers homers:   based on what you’ve seen (however little), is there anything that leads you to believe Donald Parham will be a breakout fantasy TE? Does the signing of Gerald Everett dilute the output of the whole TE corps -or- is Everett more of a balanced TE that mainly serves as an inline blocker? Any thoughts? 

My read is Everett is a YAC kind of guy, don't know about his blocking skills, but I imagine he and Parham will share TE targets to a decent extent. I think for FF purposes you'd need an injury for one of them to be a breakout TE.

My read is Everett is a YAC kind of guy, don't know about his blocking skills, but I imagine he and Parham will share TE targets to a decent extent. I think for FF purposes you'd need an injury for one of them to be a breakout TE.
Agree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread