What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cecil Shorts wr Jax (1 Viewer)

KingPrawn said:
For all of the people that say that Shorts is devalued because:

-Jacksonville stinks

-Gabbert and Henne are terrible

-Justin Blackmon is the number one

All of that was true last season when Shorts when went:

4/79 and 1

8/116 and 0

3/56 and 0

6/105 and 1

3/81 and 1

4/105 and 1

7/77 and 1

6/101 and 0

... in his 8 games as a starter that he was not knocked out to injury early. 7 out of 8 games he got either 100 yards or a TD(or both). In the one game he had this season with Blackmon on the other side he had 4/74 and 1. Shorts has clearly proven he can produce big time numbers on a bad team, with low level QB play and Justin Blackmon on the other side.
Which begs the question, why the sharp drop in the rankings by FBGs? Would be nice to get an explanation from a staff member because the drop certainly seems irrational..
Hope we get some news here. I'm assuming the drop in the rankings was due to a more severe injury assumption than what we've heard.

All the reports tend to say the injury is not bad. He might only miss one week, if that. SD is a great match up for a WR so I really hope he can play (not as a decoy though - that really stinks).

7:53pm Wed Oct 16, 2013

Jacksonville Jaguars WR Cecil Shorts (shoulder) showed some improvement despite not practicing Wednesday, Oct. 16, but his status for Week 7 is up in the air. 'Cecil showed signs of improvement,' head coach Gus Bradley said. 'He did not go through practice but his range of motion and comfort level is better. The swelling's gone down. That was a good sign.'

Fantasy Impact: Shorts seems really iffy to play right now. We would get other options ready.

No more Cecil for me until he plays and plays well.

That being said, with what Blackmon is doing right now to double coverage Shorts is poised to feast on the long ball after the week 9 bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shorts is definitely getting a fragile label in my books. Remember he was often hurt last year too with multiple concussions and he has been on the injury list all season this year.

I still don't think he plays this week but if he does I don't think he finishes the game.

Shorts is definitely getting a fragile label in my books. Remember he was often hurt last year too with multiple concussions and he has been on the injury list all season this year.

I still don't think he plays this week but if he does I don't think he finishes the game.
Not only will Shorts not play this week, my guess is that he'll sit next week, giving him the equivalent of almost 4 weeks rest for the price of two games. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Not only will Shorts not play this week, my guess is that he'll sit next week, giving him the equivalent of almost 4 weeks rest for the price of two games. At least that's what I'm hoping.
I didn't want to start a new thread for this.....

Mike Brown is Shorts' direct backup. Last week after Shorts went out he came in and went 4/49 despite the heavy focus on Blackmon and not being a part of the game plan pre-game. Now he has spent all week practicing as WR2. Given that, the likelihood of San Diego focusing on taking Blackmon our of the game and the very high possibility Jax will be playing most or all of this game from behind.....any chance Brown puts up some number this Sunday if Shorts can't go?

Anyone know anything about this kid?

Blackmon will continue his reign of terror this week regardless of the coverage. In deeeeeeeep leagues, and depending on your WR situation, I guess you could get away with starting Brown IF Shorts is OUT.

his upcoming schedule is absolutely brutal as far as teams defending WR on a fantasy pt basis:

after san diego he goes SF (10th (fewest fantasy pts to WR)), BYE, Ten (3rd), AZ (2nd), Hou (1st), Cleveland (4th), Houston (1st).

his upcoming schedule is absolutely brutal as far as teams defending WR on a fantasy pt basis:

after san diego he goes SF (10th (fewest fantasy pts to WR)), BYE, Ten (3rd), AZ (2nd), Hou (1st), Cleveland (4th), Houston (1st).
Which would be bad if JAC didn't have the dead last ranked defense and rushing offense in the league. Opponents routinely play ahead of this team by three scores, so the matchups are largely irrelevant. Garbage time points galore even against very good pass defenses.

I started this ### hole over desean and lost cuz of it...what a dummy I am benching him for fear of REVIS lol what a way to lose my season and be 1-5//// a win would be great but NO had to start this fn loser. ####.. i suck this year
Yeah what a total **** for getting injured players should know better
No kidding. I bet he was thinking, "I'm going to skip out on this game and screw over T with T."

Here's a tip. It's not Cecil Shorts that is the jack hole here.
I know it's me.... Im aware of that... Benching Desean for shorts was the jackhole move... I deserve to lose, and yes you are right it's not shorts fault... just dumb luck... Maybe that teaches everyone a lesson, don't play match ups and bench studs... I have heard that alot in fantasy circles. Just venting fanatic that's all... Bear with me I was one click away from being 1 game out of playoffs... now im destined for failure this year it seems..
Desean is no more of a fantasy stud than Shorts.

I understand the need to vent. Shorts leaving early yesterday was soul crushing for me on many levels. Had he left early due to his groin I'd have chalked up to playing the odds and losing. Fact he left early for another injury is just bad luck but it's not like it's his fault.
Desean no more a stud then shorts????? he is ranked wr1 right now pal... he's pretty studly this year it was a dumb move by myself... No if's and's or but's when justifying it... It was criminally stupid and if I do that again Im gonna take up Knitting sweaters.... Desean is no more of a stud then Shorts... LOLOLOL got a good laugh out of that one.
Yes because a 6 game sample size is really all I base my opinions on.

So guys, what's the conclusion on Shorts, is this a 'stay away' situation due to injuries and schedule or a 'trade for' situation?

Also is Gabbert coming back? Or is this now Henne's job?

So guys, what's the conclusion on Shorts, is this a 'stay away' situation due to injuries and schedule or a 'trade for' situation?

Also is Gabbert coming back? Or is this now Henne's job?
Don't start him until he shows he can play an entire game effectively.

Injury was reported to improve but should still cause issues for 3-4 weeks. I'd trade for him if you liked your chance of being in the playoffs as I suspect he'll be good by that time.

Unless Henne is at the helm while the Jags start winning games I suspect Gabbert gets his job back when he gets healthy. It's not as if the coaching staff is dumb and does not realize Henne is better now but he's also as good as he's going to get and it makes sense to try and see if they can turn Gabbert around before they pull the plug on him even if it's just faint hope.

oh the jags will def give it back to Gabbert..... he is so terrible... Shorts is a stay away for now imo.... Blackmon is the guy there.

Rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, Cecil Shorts (questionable, clavicle) told reporters Friday he "plans to play" in Week 7 against San Diego.

And it sounds like the Jaguars are leaving Shorts' availability up to him. "I’m sure once the adrenaline kicks in, I’ll play ball and deal it," said Shorts. "It's something I have to fight through." The matchup with San Diego's weak pass defense is enticing, but it's very difficult to trust Shorts' health. Shorts was in so much pain mid-week that he had trouble going to sleep.

Oct 18 - 1:52 PM

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, Cecil Shorts (questionable, clavicle) told reporters Friday he "plans to play" in Week 7 against San Diego.

And it sounds like the Jaguars are leaving Shorts' availability up to him. "I’m sure once the adrenaline kicks in, I’ll play ball and deal it," said Shorts. "It's something I have to fight through." The matchup with San Diego's weak pass defense is enticing, but it's very difficult to trust Shorts' health. Shorts was in so much pain mid-week that he had trouble going to sleep.

Oct 18 - 1:52 PM

Yeah, hm. I put in a middling trade offer for Cecil. I can keep him on the bench if necessary, we'll see.

Rewatched most of this snoozer to see Shorts play. He is one tough son of a gun. He got popped a couple of times and had to come out for a play or two but he still produced 8/80 with a ton of targets. Henne was looking for him in the RZ as well.

Happy to see this!

He looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't trade him for Andre Johnson at this point. Even hurt, the guy gets a bucketload of targets every single week. Screw any expert rankings that keep him below a top 24 WR.

Rewatched most of this snoozer to see Shorts play. He is one tough son of a gun. He got popped a couple of times and had to come out for a play or two but he still produced 8/80 with a ton of targets. Henne was looking for him in the RZ as well.

Happy to see this!
Yeah he gamed it out. I had him on my bench for Boykin which worked out good but I was surprised how good he perfromed given the circumstances. I need to start him this week due to byes and I'm glad to see he made it through ok.

For some reason, I never want to start the guy and it always seems to bite me. Got him on a 1-6 team where I've only started him twice all season.

Seems like nobody likes him (apparently, myself included), but all he does is go out and catch passes.

For some reason, I never want to start the guy and it always seems to bite me. Got him on a 1-6 team where I've only started him twice all season.

Seems like nobody likes him (apparently, myself included), but all he does is go out and catch passes.
Same boat here. He is hard to figure out. Didn't start him this week after a zero the week before. My 1-6 team is just turrible.

pollardsvision said:

For some perspective, I ALWAYS want to start the guy and it always seems to bite me. Dead last in a TP league where I had him in the lineup and he injures his shoulder on the first play of the game. This week? Nope, fool me once... So he's on my bench and goes 8-80.

I think he's an incredibly underrated talent at WR who might be too small to consistently stay healthy in the NFL. One of those guys I'm tempted to "sell high" on, only to watch him become Steve Smith immediately thereafter.

All this guy does is put up great points, the injury week aside. I love that most people underestimate him and stupidly disregard him due to Jacksonville being poor with a bad QB situation, just means he falls lower than he should in drafts. I have teams where he is my WR3 or even 4 and he's just golden at that. I did bench him this week for Boykin but he went out and put his usual numbers up.

All this guy does is put up great points, the injury week aside. I love that most people underestimate him and stupidly disregard him due to Jacksonville being poor with a bad QB situation, just means he falls lower than he should in drafts. I have teams where he is my WR3 or even 4 and he's just golden at that. I did bench him this week for Boykin but he went out and put his usual numbers up.
I think he's one of those receivers where owners in PPR leagues vs. non-PPR make the mistake of thinking they're talking in the same language. In my non-ppr, bonus-yardage format Shorts finished WR17 last year and is currently WR65 this year. Hardly bankable. But in ppr he's money.

FantasyTrader said:
dewmass said:
I think he's one of those receivers where owners in PPR leagues vs. non-PPR make the mistake of thinking they're talking in the same language. In my non-ppr, bonus-yardage format Shorts finished WR17 last year and is currently WR65 this year. Hardly bankable. But in ppr he's money.
Yes that's true. I rarely play non PPR I must admit so my above comments are all from a PPR standpoint. In that format his floor is so high due to the volume of targets that he's all but an automatic start as he has such a great level of consistency.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Cecil Shorts did not backtrack on his inflammatory comments from Sunday afternoon.

Shorts was livid following his 2/22/0 performance in the loss to the Cardinals, calling his one target until garbage time (expletive) dumb. "I'm going to have to say something and sit down with them because it's getting ridiculous," he said while referring to the coaches. Shorts hasn't had that sitdown yet, but we'd view this as a good thing for his fantasy prospects. Chad Henne should try to grease the squeaky wheel as much as he can against the Texans in Week 12.

Breesisdaman said:
Ive heard this grease the wheel stuff before with Mike Wallace. still waiting on that grease.
It worked - for that one week after he whined. And then back to overpaid diva.

Next week is probably a good week to start Shorts, and then put him back on the bench.

Rotoworld:

Chad Henne suggested getting Cecil Shorts the ball will be a focal point in Sunday's game against the Texans.

It's a standard case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. Shorts saw just one target until garbage time last week and spouted off about it afterward. "Whether this week, we try to move him around to different spot and try to get him the football, we'll do that," Henne said. Shorts is a fine WR3 with upside this week.

Source: Florida Times Union
Cecil Shorts (groin) remained limited in Thursday's practice.

Shorts rarely gets in full practices. He'll be active for Sunday's game against the Texans, and likely the recipient of manufactured touches after profanely complaining about his role following last week's loss. It's not a good matchup, however. Shorts is on the WR2/3 borderline.

Source: John Oehser on Twitter

Ive heard this grease the wheel stuff before with Mike Wallace. still waiting on that grease.
It worked - for that one week after he whined. And then back to overpaid diva.

Next week is probably a good week to start Shorts, and then put him back on the bench.
Shorts is the Jaguars best offensive weapon right now. He's also a guy I'd scoop up in any dynasty league, regardless of what happens with Blackmon. Just hope they get Bridgewater.

With McCoy and DJax on a bye ... DMart and Wayne out the year ... JThomas and Reed very questionable ...Shorts will be getting the start for me this week.

Hoping for 60 yds and TD

It worked - for that one week after he whined. And then back to overpaid diva.Next week is probably a good week to start Shorts, and then put him back on the bench.
Shorts is the Jaguars best offensive weapon right now. He's also a guy I'd scoop up in any dynasty league, regardless of what happens with Blackmon. Just hope they get Bridgewater.
It doesn't take Bridgewater. Don't get me wrong, as a Jags fan I'm hoping you're correct. But even if they aren't able to land Teddy, the '14 draft will go 4-5 deep of names that would be a significant upgrade to Henne/Gabbert.

Rotoworld:

Cecil Shorts caught eight passes for 71 yards in Jacksonville's Week 12 win over the Texans.
The squeaky most definitely got the grease, as Shorts drew a team-high 11 targets after combining for just four catches over his past two games. Shorts drew only nine total looks in Weeks 9-10. Shorts didn't do a whole heck of a lot with them, however, and stepped out of bounds on another potential grab. Either way, he buttered his WR2/3 bread, and should continue to do so going forward. He's the Jaguars' only viable pass-catching threat.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gus Bradley said Monday the Jaguars are "seriously" considering shutting down Cecil Shorts (groin) for Weeks 16 and 17.

In a blog post titled, "Shorts' season likely over," beat reporter Ryan O'Halloran writes that Bradley, Shorts, and GM Dave Caldwell will meet this week to discuss the possibility of shutting down their top receiver. O'Halloran believes "the decision is pretty clear," and Shorts won't be playing in the last two games. Shorts needs offseason surgery to repair the groin. If he were at risk of doing more damage by trying to play through it, it would be in the team's best interest to let Shorts get an early jump on the procedure and ensuing rehab. Look for Mike Brown and Ace Sanders to close out the year as Jacksonville's starting wideouts.

Source: Florida Times Union

Rotoworld:

Jaguars placed WR Cecil Shorts (groin) on injured reserve, ending his season.

There's no reason for Shorts to push through his latest aggravation in the final two games of the season. He'll get a jump on his impending surgery and rehab, and then return at 100 percent for the final year of his rookie deal in 2014. Shorts' 2013 season ends with a disappointing 66 catches for 777 yards, three touchdowns and one 100-yard game as he struggled through both injury and inept quarterback play. He's still long on explosive talent, but it's not going to shine through consistently until the Jaguars get a real NFL quarterback under center.

Disappointing season. I talked him up in the offseason, but he mostly failed to capitalize on his chances this year. Very poor yards per target, which is an area where he shined last year. Had they not fed him a truckload of targets, he would've been nearly irrelevant. As it stands he looks like nothing more than a FF WR3 moving forward.

Groin injury and bad qb play. He's not elite, but if he got a better qb, I'd expect wr2 type performance

Disappointing season. I talked him up in the offseason, but he mostly failed to capitalize on his chances this year. Very poor yards per target, which is an area where he shined last year. Had they not fed him a truckload of targets, he would've been nearly irrelevant. As it stands he looks like nothing more than a FF WR3 moving forward.
Seems like everybody did and in two start up leagues I targeted him, but couldn't get him because he went two rounds earlier than I anticipated - and in my existing leagues nobody would sell him unless you paid three prices (so I didn't get him there either). He was the off-season fantasy PPR darling and his supporters expected a breakout season which didn't happen - for whatever reason.

That said, if I did own him I wouldn't sell him cheap and if I can buy low I will acquire him in deeper leagues. I am not certain that what we saw in 2012 was a fluke.

I realize the groin was an issue, but not buying the QB play. Blackmon performed well with the same cast of QB characters.

What disappointed me was Shorts' inability to produce post-Blackmon with most of the targets headed his way. Shows that he's a solid second banana WR if he's got someone good beside him, but not going to be able to be the guy himself.

Actually my perception was that Jax got better and got their gameplan under control, not as much desperation garbage time throwing the ball down the field. Did anyone really see a decline in Shorts' performance?

Users who are viewing this thread