What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (2 Viewers)

Channels that have a marathon but show the movies backwards for example they were showing the wick series on a channel but it went 3-2-1..... Same for the police academy marathon: 😂. 4-3-2-1.... If you are going to bother showing the 8 hours worth of movies show them in order at least

The lady who loudly announces EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. that she only wants an inside piece of the sheet cake that is brought in for a work/office party.

We get it Becky, you don't want icing on the side of your piece because you are always watching your sugar intake or trying some new fad diet and don't have the willpower to just not eat cake at all...

Same person who cuts a wedge out of a donut when they are brought into the office.
😂 I work with mostly women. Anytime there is ANYTHING single serving : donuts, cookies, candy, whatever, they always have wedges cut out of them. And I know the wedge cutters ate going back cutting wedges all thru the day, and end up eating like 3.5 donuts. You’re not fooling anyone, Kelly.

You’re not fooling anyone, Kelly.
This reminds me of the most infuriating office food scenario i have ever had.

Pretty much every day they ordered food from some local fast food place. It was my first week. That day was five guys. So i ordered cajun fries. Thats it. Just an order of cajun fries. Gave my money to the girl going, kelly.

Kelly returns and gives me half of an order of regular fries.

Kelly was pregnant and didnt want to have a whole order of fries. Also because she is pregnant she didnt want cajun fries, you know heartburn and all.

So kelly just decides because the orders of fries at five guys are really large (at least they were then) that this is a totally ok decision to make on my behalf.

Kelly of course didnt split her bacon cheeseburger with anybody.

Pretty much every day they ordered food from some local fast food place. It was my first week. That day was five guys. So i ordered cajun fries. Thats it. Just an order of cajun fries. Gave my money to the girl going, kelly.

Kelly was pregnant and didnt want to have a whole order of fries. Also because she is pregnant she didnt want cajun fries, you know heartburn and all.

So kelly just decides because the orders of fries at five guys are really large (at least they were then) that this is a totally ok decision to make on my behalf.

Kelly is the worst.

I miss analog soooooo much. Plug it in, press play, “wala“.

-Turn on fire stick, wait to load.
-Navigate menu, often having to look for the right app because it’s not on your Home Screen which is loaded with stuff that’s not included.
-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.
i've recently been told that it is in fact better and to shut up about having to pay for the privilege of this worse experience that is getting exponentially worse year over year

The lady who loudly announces EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. that she only wants an inside piece of the sheet cake that is brought in for a work/office party.

We get it Becky, you don't want icing on the side of your piece because you are always watching your sugar intake or trying some new fad diet and don't have the willpower to just not eat cake at all...

Same person who cuts a wedge out of a donut when they are brought into the office.
😂 I work with mostly women. Anytime there is ANYTHING single serving : donuts, cookies, candy, whatever, they always have wedges cut out of them. And I know the wedge cutters ate going back cutting wedges all thru the day, and end up eating like 3.5 donuts. You’re not fooling anyone, Kelly.

Link

-Navigate menu, often having to look for the right app because it’s not on your Home Screen which is loaded with stuff that’s not included.
-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.
i've recently been told that it is in fact better and to shut up about having to pay for the privilege of this worse experience that is getting exponentially worse year over year
I’ll tell you what you should NOT do: cancel your Prime membership in disgust at the announcement that they’ll be airing commercials on their subpar subscription service, then realize if you don’t have Prime, you have to start paying shipping on everything you order on Amazon. Then you get sucked into re-upping month-to-month and actually paying MORE for your increasingly frustrating subscription.

Jeff Bezos is the literal devil.

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.
I’ll tell you what you should NOT do: cancel your Prime membership in disgust at the announcement that they’ll be airing commercials on their subpar subscription service, then realize if you don’t have Prime, you have to start paying shipping on everything you order on Amazon. Then you get sucked into re-upping month-to-month and actually paying MORE for your increasingly frustrating subscription.

You actually PAY for shipping? Unless it's something that everyone pays shipping for, like out-door furniture, we never do. We just load up the cart until we have enough to qualify for free shipping, and then pull the trigger.

I said sure to a delivery within 4 days or some such thing on Amazon in order to get a $2 credit to watch a movie. Those 4 days fell over a weekend. Apparently i was agreeing to 4 business days. I’m so conditioned to getting everything immediately, that those 6 days were some of the longest of my life. :lmao:

Jeff bezoz is the literal devil.

Still haven’t redeemed my $2

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

You actually PAY for shipping? Unless it's something that everyone pays shipping for, like out-door furniture, we never do. We just load up the cart until we have enough to qualify for free shipping, and then pull the trigger.

No, I don’t pay for shipping. That’s why I renewed my Prime membership. I’m too impulsive and impatient to wait until I have a full cart and not oay for shipping.

When you're being let going from a job, and they start out by saying "How are you doing today?"

I've now had the identical experience twice in my career of showing up for what I thought was a one on one with my boss, seeing a woman from the HR department there with him (once in person, once on Zoom) and being asked "How are you doing today?"

In both cases, my answer was "Pretty good until I saw her"
That sucks. Hoping you land on your feet man.

I had to deliver a "we're firing you" decision this week. We have a committee that reviews everyone, and the person responsible for this one gave birth same week so I had to pick it up.

The other person joins zoom expecting to hear feedback, results of their review, what to look for on their next project, etc. AND it is their first time meeting me. So they join and are like "Hey great to meet you, excited to hear how this went..."

I kind of cut them off and went with the very direct approach. "Hold on a second. I'm going to get right to the point. The committee decided you will be let go." And then got into the rest of the discussion. Actually seemed to go over ok.

It is an extremely unpleasant conversation. Idk why you'd make it worse with an asinine how ya doing...
The last time I fired someone, the guy walked in and I said, “Why don’t you have a seat, because we are going to have an unpleasant conversation.” I’ve only fired two in my career. This one went better than the first where I chitchatted with them for 20 minutes before diving in. That one didn’t turn out so well. Learned my lesson. Just cut to the chase.
I've never had to fire anyone, but I agree that with unpleasant conversations it's always best to cut to the chase. I once applied for an internal promotion. I knew I wasn't going to get it, and I honestly didn't really want it (I only applied because I thought it would look bad for me not to throw my hat in the ring, which I soon realized was a sign I needed to leave the company). Anyway, my boss brings me into the room and gives me like a 10-minute windup talking about the hiring process, pointing out my strengths, etc. I came so close to blurting out, "Look, we both know I'm not getting the job, so get on with it!"

Related: I absolutely hate "HR speak". I have sympathy for HR pros, since I know they constantly have to worry about saying things incorrectly and opening the company up to legal problems, but it's like when you go into that industry you surrender your ability to talk like a human being. "While your resume is impressive, we have found other candidates who better align with the skillset we're looking for. We will keep your resume on file, and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors." Nobody actually talks like that, and when you say that to candidates, all you're doing is annoying them by making them feel like they're interacting with a robot

Last edited:

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

i'm just shocked you were able to get through the maze to actually cancel a subscription these days

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

i'm just shocked you were able to get through the maze to actually cancel a subscription these days
Oh, man, that is another huge pet peeve of mine. That has to have been talked about in the 10 trillion pages of this thread, right? Websites/apps that don't have a built-in "cancel subscription" button or link, make you search all over their site, then end up having to physically call an automated phone line. I literally seethe in anger.

Kelly is the worst.

He's a "vocal stylist"....

When you're being let going from a job, and they start out by saying "How are you doing today?"

I've now had the identical experience twice in my career of showing up for what I thought was a one on one with my boss, seeing a woman from the HR department there with him (once in person, once on Zoom) and being asked "How are you doing today?"

I had to deliver a "we're firing you" decision this week. We have a committee that reviews everyone, and the person responsible for this one gave birth same week so I had to pick it up.

The other person joins zoom expecting to hear feedback, results of their review, what to look for on their next project, etc. AND it is their first time meeting me. So they join and are like "Hey great to meet you, excited to hear how this went..."

I kind of cut them off and went with the very direct approach. "Hold on a second. I'm going to get right to the point. The committee decided you will be let go." And then got into the rest of the discussion. Actually seemed to go over ok.

It is an extremely unpleasant conversation. Idk why you'd make it worse with an asinine how ya doing...
The last time I fired someone, the guy walked in and I said, “Why don’t you have a seat, because we are going to have an unpleasant conversation.” I’ve only fired two in my career. This one went better than the first where I chitchatted with them for 20 minutes before diving in. That one didn’t turn out so well. Learned my lesson. Just cut to the chase.

Related: I absolutely hate "HR speak". I have sympathy for HR pros, since I know they constantly have to worry about saying things incorrectly and opening the company up to legal problems, but it's like when you go into that industry you surrender your ability to talk like a human being. "While your resume is impressive, we have found other candidates who better align with the skillset we're looking for. We will keep your resume on file, and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors." Nobody actually talks like that, and when you say that to candidates, all you're doing is annoying them by making them feel like they're interaction with a robot
HR speak is the WORST. We have 2 new hire mid management types that ONLY speak this way. It’s gross.

We hired my daughter’s boyfriend to be a beach attendant. It’s his first job ever. I tell one of the new managers, who is his direct boss, let me know if he doesn’t get anything. Instead of a “sure”, I got 2 minutes of how she creates a safe space for learning and growth and she is committed to the advancement of every employee both professionally and professionally. Blah blah blah. Ridiculous. I wanted to say Jesus Christ lady, he’s raking sand.

I've never had to fire anyone, but I agree that with unpleasant conversations it's always best to cut to the chase. I once applied for an internal promotion. I knew I wasn't going to get it, and I honestly didn't really want it (I only applied because I thought it would look bad for me not to throw my hat in the ring, which I soon realized was a sign I needed to leave the company). Anyway, my boss brings me into the room and gives me like a 10-minute windup talking about the hiring process, pointing out my strengths, etc. I came so close to blurting out, "Look, we both know I'm not getting the job, so get on with it!"

Related: I absolutely hate "HR speak". I have sympathy for HR pros, since I know they constantly have to worry about saying things incorrectly and opening the company up to legal problems, but it's like when you go into that industry you surrender your ability to talk like a human being. "While your resume is impressive, we have found other candidates who better align with the skillset we're looking for. We will keep your resume on file, and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors." Nobody actually talks like that, and when you say that to candidates, all you're doing is annoying them by making them feel like they're interaction with a robot

I almost had to fire someone, was my first ever hire and he worked in another facility and just wasn’t getting it. Another manager decided to give him a shot in his department , so we had the “how would you like to try this role”. He wasn’t sure so then HR told him it wasn’t really a choice and he was being reassigned

I had a couple other direct reports after that but we did some restructuring so now I have 0. Don’t think I want any going forward

We hired my daughter’s boyfriend to be a beach attendant. It’s his first job ever. I tell one of the new managers, who is his direct boss, let me know if he doesn’t get anything. Instead of a “sure”, I got 2 minutes of how she creates a safe space for learning and growth and she is committed to the advancement of every employee both professionally and professionally. Blah blah blah. Ridiculous. I wanted to say Jesus Christ lady, he’s raking sand.
The real question is whether or not he treats Young Frankenstein as a horror movie or not.

ETA: Sorry....this was supposed to be a response to @Dan Lambskin

I almost had to fire someone, was my first ever hire and he worked in another facility and just wasn’t getting it. Another manager decided to give him a shot in his department , so we had the “how would you like to try this role”. He wasn’t sure so then HR told him it wasn’t really a choice and he was being reassigned

I had a couple other direct reports after that but we did some restructuring so now I have 0. Don’t think I want any going forward
We no longer have an HR department. They are now People Strategies & Solutions.

"Human Resources" wasn't "soulless corporate legalspeak" enough?

Ours is "Talent Resources"

Ours is "Talent Resources"
IMO attaching words like "Resources" and "Solutions" to plain language is offensive. It's fine to be referred to as "People" or "Humans", but once you call someone a "human resource" you're commoditizing them. I'm OK with "Chief People Officer", though.

Devices that overcomplicate their core tasks. When we got married, I told Mrs. R that I refused to register for any toaster that didn't just have a button that you could press to toast bread. (My parents ended up buying a popup toaster that they put next to their souped-up toaster oven because the latter made it too complicated to make toast). Similarly, microwaves that don't just allow you to punch in the time you want to heat the food and press the Start button.

The two most important aspects of usability are a) can a new user quickly figure out what they need to do, and b) can a repeat user efficiently complete their most common tasks? Amazing how, once you start looking for it, you notice how many interfaces violate these core concepts

Last edited:
Devices that overcomplicate their core tasks. When we got married, I told Mrs. R that I refused to register for any toaster that didn't just have a button that you could press to toast bread. (My parents ended up buying a popup toaster that they put next to their souped-up toaster over because the latter made it too complicated ot make toast). Similarly, microwaves that don't just allow you to punch in the time you want to heat the food and press the Start button.

The two most important aspects of usability are a) can a new user quickly figure out what they need to do, and b) can a repeat user efficiently complete their most common tasks? Amazing how, once you start looking for it, you notice how many interfaces violate these core concepts
That's one of the things we like about the Breville toaster oven we have. Many functions and all easy to use.

Last edited:
Devices that overcomplicate their core tasks. When we got married, I told Mrs. R that I refused to register for any toaster that didn't just have a button that you could press to toast bread. (My parents ended up buying a popup toaster that they put next to their souped-up toaster over because the latter made it too complicated ot make toast). Similarly, microwaves that don't just allow you to punch in the time you want to heat the food and press the Start button.

I use two buttons on my microwave. Popcorn and add 30 seconds.

If I am heating something up for between 1:00 and 1:39 I will press "60" or "99" to save an extra button push. I guess that's a pet peeve about myself.

I also remember reading a profile of someone once that said they will always double the number up on their microwave time (44, 77, etc) to save time

If I am heating something up for between 1:00 and 1:39 I will press "60" or "99" to save an extra button push. I guess that's a pet peeve about myself.

I also remember reading a profile of someone once that said they will always double the number up on their microwave time (44, 77, etc) to save time
You're technique results in fewer button presses but eats up more cpu cycles (for me anyway). If I pressed '60' + Start, I'd have to followup with a verification that I did not dial up 60 minutes every.single.time.

You're technique results in fewer button presses but eats up more cpu cycles (for me anyway). If I pressed '60' + Start, I'd have to followup with a verification that I did not dial up 60 minutes every.single.time.
this is how my wife put some cold pizza in the oven to warm up for 5 minutes, forgot about it and only after 5 hours realized she keyed in 5:00 and not 0:05.

"5:00 is 5 minutes!!"

not anymore, baby. not anymore.

People that don't use the oven timer, and then burn whatever is cooking. The timer is right there, use it! My mother in law will throw some tots in the oven for the grandkids on a Saturday, then forget about them or even worse she'll say "I'll smell it when they're ready" and then go in the other room out of smell range and then wala :wink: , burnt tots.

microwave pet peeve: mrs doesn't clear the timer when she pulls food out early.

I do this and my wife gets upset, but this fits perfectly under the "Don't sweat the small stuff" mantra.
This is me exactly. It annoys me, but not enough to say anything, but then it annoys me that it keeps happening because I don't say anything about it. Wash rinse repeat

I do this and my wife gets upset, but this fits perfectly under the "Don't sweat the small stuff" mantra.
This is me exactly. It annoys me, but not enough to say anything, but then it annoys me that it keeps happening because I don't say anything about it. Wash rinse repeat
I just type in 999999 seconds into the microwave and never have to press a button but start for months

My daughter and I will tease her about it

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.
meh. To play a movie on analog (aka the good ole days) you're missing quite a few steps:

Get dressed
Get in the car
Go into Blockbuster
Search through the stacks and stacks of DVDs
Find that the movie you wanted to watch isn't available
Search for something else to watch
Pick something, go to the counter and wait for someone to help
Get home and the wife tells you she's not interested in what you got
Watch something else instead

:D

Also, you can set up home on the firestick to put your most used apps on the home screen. And if you leave the firestick on all the time there is no load time and apps are updated automatically in the background. I don't leave mine on but even still I can power it on and be in YTTV within a minute.

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

Also, you can set up home on the firestick to put your most used apps on the home screen. And if you leave the firestick on all the time there is no load time and apps are updated automatically in the background. I don't leave mine on but even still I can power it on and be in YTTV within a minute.

this is what i was alluding to.

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.
meh. To play a movie on analog (aka the good ole days) you're missing quite a few steps:

Get dressed
Get in the car
Go into Blockbuster

Turn TV on.
Done.

No passwords, no registering no putting in your credit card information no two-step processes no free trials no nada

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

You guys are being disingenuous. You’re not avoiding loading when you switch between apps and we’re not talking about blockbuster.

Frequently used apps on a home screen removes exactly one of those steps I listed before.

This isnt exclusive to the Amazon fire stick. We’re talking about pretty much all streaming devices all the way down to “smart” washing machines.

I fully realize I am a proud Luddite

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

Get dressed
Get in the car
Go into Blockbuster

you forgot the part about forgetting you have it and turning it in late and getting charged late fees up the wazoo take that to the bank brochacho

-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

You guys are being disingenuous. You’re not avoiding loading when you switch between apps and we’re not talking about blockbuster.

Frequently used apps on a home screen removes exactly one of those steps I listed before.

This isnt exclusive to the Amazon fire stick. We’re talking about pretty much all streaming devices all the way down to “smart” washing machines.

I fully realize I am a proud Luddite

I disagree. i do not not find switching apps laborious, not cumbersome. it is very rare that i time out of apps and have to "do the dance" of logging back in. some require more steps than others to do so. some are very frustrating.

it is very rare that i time out of apps and have to "do the dance" of logging back in
I hate the apps that auto log you out after some random time like 3 months. Then you have to try and figure out which password and other log in protection hoops are for that app and since it's been at least 3 months since you did it last time you forget exactly and end up trying all your passwords until you finally get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread