What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cameron Artis-Payne SEC leading rusher.... (1 Viewer)

kyoun1e said:
Thinking of starting CAP over Ivory and R. Mathews.

This seems encouraging. He had 16 touches last week. If his role increases even more and has 20+ touches against the ATL lousy run D in a game script that should have CAR up and leaning on the run late...good things could happen.

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton believes Cameron Artis-Payne will have a bigger role Week 16.
Artis-Payne easily led the backfield with 16 touches last week, but he did not emerge as the clear lead until the second half. He should have a bigger role from the first snap against the Falcons. He is a low-end RB2 play.
I have him in over Ivory and Bernard (and Ware, I guess). I don't like Ivory's match up especially since he wasn't great against NE before and Powell didn't play last time. I watched the Dallas game and it seemed like Powell was in way more often, especially once they went down. Bernard plays Denver and he's been trending down lately anyway. I'm pairing Payne with Michael, so I'm either a genius or a #######. I'd rather go with those two because I like their match ups and the chance that they get at least 15 touches.

Starting him over Ivory as well.

Don't feel as comfortable as I did yesterday with this decision as it looks like the NE D is all kinds of banged up for their game @NYJ.

That said, if we have this game script forecasted correctly, we should see a) CAR with the lead b) CAR leaning on the run late c) Maybe reducing Cam's workload late and banging away at the rookie instead.

ATL making a game of this would screw that all up.

My options in my ppr league are CAP v. Falcons or Gurley v. Seahawks or Bilal Powell v. Patriots or Javorious Buck Allen v. Steelers. Already started Latavius Murray. Tough call...

My options in my ppr league are CAP v. Falcons or Gurley v. Seahawks or Bilal Powell v. Patriots or Javorious Buck Allen v. Steelers. Already started Latavius Murray. Tough call...
I like cap or Powell(a lot) this week. Flip a coin? I'd lean Powell in a 1 pt ppr. He's been hot.

He didn't have any snaps in the game last night.

Stewart   43 snaps 59%

Tolbert  28 snaps 38% 4 special teams snaps 17%

Whittaker  13 snaps 18%

LINK

Tolbert isn't really that impressive. Whittaker has his role and isn't a real 3-down back. Surprised CAP is so far behind. 

I own Payne in a dynasty and I'm holding as I think he has talent. I must say, though, that Whitaker looked pretty good last night.

I drafted him but dropped him last week to pick up V. Cruz.   I think that might have been a mistake but it is still unclear what the mix will be in Carolina.

Cameron Artis-Payne is expected to be Carolina’s feature back against the Vikings.
"All he’s ever needed was the opportunity," coach Ron Rivera said. "We didn’t have Stew at the end of the season, so he got his opportunity and performed really well. And then this preseason, I thought he had a good preseason." Artis-Payne was inactive the first two weeks due to his lack of special teams value. He's going to split carries with Fozzy Whittaker, but projects to get the majority of early-down work. Artis-Payne should see around 10-15 touches. 

RotoGrinders.com Daily Slant: He's far from a safe play given the match-up and Fozzy Whitaker's presence, but Artis-Payne is worth a look in GPPs given that he's at or near minimum price across the industry. Touches typically breed production, so it's not wise to write off players who are going to see in the neighborhood of 10-15 touches while being priced at the minimum. It also doesn't hurt that the Panthers are -7.5 favorites at home.

Source: panthers.com 
Sep 21 - 6:09 PM

So why was he inactive to start the season? Just no support from coaching staff? Or does he stink?
They (team insiders) said he offered nothing in Special Teams, thus they could go 2 or 3 quarters without him in case of losing Stewart and having enough faith in Fozzy and Tolbert.

Personally, not sure I believe it.

So why was he inactive to start the season? Just no support from coaching staff? Or does he stink?
Second verse, same as the first...  LINK

"I have a tremendous amount of faith in who CAP can be for us. And knowing that you have a good change-of-pace guy in Fozzy, and you've got a guy that can come in and play situational football for you in Mike Tolbert - I think that's a good combination." - Ron Rivera 9/19/16

As a rookie, Artis-Payne was inactive for seven straight weeks until a foot injury shelved Stewart for the final three games of the regular season. The distribution of touches over those games?

• Artis-Payne: 33 carries, 5 receptions
  • Tolbert: 17 carries, 3 receptions
  • Whittaker (missed Week 17): 7 carries, 4 receptions

Last edited by a moderator:
Second verse, same as the first...  LINK

"I have a tremendous amount of faith in who CAP can be for us. And knowing that you have a good change-of-pace guy in Fozzy, and you've got a guy that can come in and play situational football for you in Mike Tolbert - I think that's a good combination." - Ron Rivera 9/19/16

As a rookie, Artis-Payne was inactive for seven straight weeks until a foot injury shelved Stewart for the final three games of the regular season. The distribution of touches over those games?

• Artis-Payne: 33 carries, 5 receptions
  • Tolbert: 17 carries, 3 receptions
  • Whittaker (missed Week 17): 7 carries, 4 receptions
:goodposting:

Thanks. Yeah agree as other poster said that given lack of GL work it really kind of limits him to low end RB2 but that beats what Rawls is giving me. :D

May surprise with Stewart out 2-4+:

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Artis-Payne-ready-for-his-opportunity/c16be94b-96c3-451c-8cfa-2ba7ae08adc2

All he’s ever needed was the opportunity,” head coach Ron Rivera said. “We didn’t have Stew at the end of the season, so he got his opportunity and performed really well and did some really good things. And then this preseason, I thought he had a really good preseason.”

likely will serve as Carolina’s “feature back” Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rant: from all those who picked up Fozzy Bear.
again the value and beauty of this site is the homers and the info they contribute.  We (panther homers) told you that if Jstew were to miss time that CAP would be the play here.  We told you preseason and on Sunday after he got hurt.  Nobodys fault but your own.

I didnt pick up Fozzy in any league. I was making a comment about what I am hearing from my friends who did after hearing this news.

I was too busy trying to nab Mckinnon, Asiata and Washington to bother with a short-term pickup that is the Carolina situation.

I didnt pick up Fozzy in any league. I was making a comment about what I am hearing from my friends who did after hearing this news.

I was too busy trying to nab Mckinnon, Asiata and Washington to bother with a short-term pickup that is the Carolina situation.
We are talking about Jonathan Stewart, hamstring injuries especially can linger, if turns out to be 4 weeks then that's almost 1/3 of a fantasy regular season.

Games after the Vikings...Falcons, Bucs, and Saints.

I didn't say CAP or Fozzy weren't worth picking up. Obviously they are or else we wouldn't be discussing it. However, we're talking about my 4th or even 5th RB spots. I'd rather get someone who could have value the entire season and prove to be a difference maker - specifically Washington - versus someone who *could* only have value for the next few weeks and in all realism I'd never start in that span. If Stewart's injuries linger and CAP ends up being more valuable than I gave him credit for, then kudos to whoever picked him up. I'm just saying that given the constructs of my 5 teams, pursuing other waiver wire RB options made more sense in the here and now.

I didn't say CAP or Fozzy weren't worth picking up. Obviously they are or else we wouldn't be discussing it. However, we're talking about my 4th or even 5th RB spots. I'd rather get someone who could have value the entire season and prove to be a difference maker - specifically Washington - versus someone who *could* only have value for the next few weeks and in all realism I'd never start in that span. If Stewart's injuries linger and CAP ends up being more valuable than I gave him credit for, then kudos to whoever picked him up. I'm just saying that given the constructs of my 5 teams, pursuing other waiver wire RB options made more sense in the here and now.
Agreed.

if I'm looking for a 4th or 5th RB, I'll swing for the fence(Washington/CMike) before taking a guaranteed single(McKinnon/CAP).

again the value and beauty of this site is the homers and the info they contribute.  We (panther homers) told you that if Jstew were to miss time that CAP would be the play here.  We told you preseason and on Sunday after he got hurt.  Nobodys fault but your own.
Wish you were a writer for Rotoworld instead of the guy who wrote this...

With Stewart's status up in the air, Whittaker should be one of this week's top pickups. Cameron Artis-Payne has been inactive the first two games, and figures to play behind Whittaker if Stewart is held out. Sep 18 - 5:22 PM

Made a desperation pick up of Fozzy in my 16 team league...looks like for nothing. :wall:

Wish you were a writer for Rotoworld instead of the guy who wrote this...

With Stewart's status up in the air, Whittaker should be one of this week's top pickups. Cameron Artis-Payne has been inactive the first two games, and figures to play behind Whittaker if Stewart is held out. Sep 18 - 5:22 PM

Made a desperation pick up of Fozzy in my 16 team league...looks like for nothing. :wall:
Rotoworld is great for news, terrible for analysis.

I was the only one to bid on CAP. Got

him for $15. One other guy bid $23 on Fozzy. Did I miss something?
Well, Stewart was an average fantasy starter at best before he was injured.  Now a lesser talent is going to get some carries, and isn't the receiving back.  

CAP for red zone competition has Olsen, Tolbert, Benjamin, Funchess, and the best short yardage QB ever.

Whittaker can do more with 3 catches than CAP can do with 6-10 carries.  

Well, Stewart was an average fantasy starter at best before he was injured.  Now a lesser talent is going to get some carries, and isn't the receiving back.  

CAP for red zone competition has Olsen, Tolbert, Benjamin, Funchess, and the best short yardage QB ever.

Whittaker can do more with 3 catches than CAP can do with 6-10 carries.  
Doubtful.  Stewart has been hurt all year.  Rivera wants to run the ball   If nothing else CAP is a starting rb on one of the best running teams in the nfl.   There is most certainly value there.   

Doubtful.  Stewart has been hurt all year.  Rivera wants to run the ball   If nothing else CAP is a starting rb on one of the best running teams in the nfl.   There is most certainly value there.   
OK, I think Whittaker offers a higher ceiling, and can do it for more weeks.  

Mass picked up Fozzy.

Dont waste your time.  You will never "win" the argument.

Ever.
Worse, I'm a Stewart owner of many years.  

The guy getting all the carries, and almost no goalline looks, and little in the passing game, doesn't have a high ceiling.  I play in a PPR, and Whittaker will probably average double the yardage per reception that CAP does per carry.  So.............

Back to inactive today is pretty surprising given how he has looked.  Unfortunately I left him in one of my leagues because I'm on vacation  and thought he'd play :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread