What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cameron Artis-Payne SEC leading rusher.... (3 Viewers)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-05-29/cameron-artis-payne-panthers-ota-nfl-auburn-tigers-rookie-carolina-cam-newton-offense

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Former Auburn running back Cameron Artis-Payne is ready to make an impact at the NFL level.

After being selected by the Panthers in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft, the SEC's leading rusher from a year ago is settling down in Charlotte, N.C.

"I'm still staying at the team-issued hotel, but right now I'm looking around at a bunch of different places," Artis-Payne told Sporting News. "I like the area so far — it’s a big city, but it still has that small-town feel."

The city life is new for Artis-Payne. But the style of play, he said, is not. Gus Malzahn's offense at Auburn is among college football's fastest. The running back believes playing in that system has prepared him to take on the challenge of learning Carolina's no-huddle approach alongside former Tiger and Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Cam Newton.

"We've been meeting, trying to get the signals down for the offense, because we run a no-huddle similar to what we ran at Auburn," Artis-Payne said. "All in all, he's a great player. Everybody knows that if you know anything about him. It’s been fun playing with somebody like that."

As far as being referred to as "the other Cam," Artis-Payne said that hasn't been an issue.

326611-330-0.jpg

Cameron Artis-Payne (Getty Images, AP Photo)

"Nobody calls me Cam around here," he said. "I get my last name, I get Cap, I get about everything but Cam. It’s more or less not the other Cam, I’m just not Cam at all around here."

Artis-Payne, one of several Tigers to find an NFL home this offseason, often reaches out to his former Auburn teammates to share experiences.

"I've just been talking to them and sharing thoughts about how we are adjusting to the playbooks and different things of different natures," he explained. "Every team has a different playbook and different languages that they use in them, so it has been a learning experience for all of us."

But nobody's thoughts and experiences are more valuable to Artis-Payne than those of his former backfield partner, Tre Mason. The productive Rams running back led Auburn to the BCS National Championship Game in 2013, Artis-Payne's junior year.

"Tre and I work out at the same place during the offseason with Tony Villani," Artis-Payne said. "While we were down there, he pretty much told me just to be slow to the hole and then explode through it. That’s one of the biggest things I’ve been using, trying to give my linemen time to set up blocks and read the hole properly."

The Panthers parted ways with longtime running back DeAngelo Williams this offseason, leaving the door open for Artis-Payne to crack Carolina's rotation with Jonathan Stewart and Fozzy Whitaker.

Artis-Payne, a thick, "downhill" runner, might be the perfect piece for the Panthers to replace Williams' production — fast.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Auburns-Cameron-Artis-Payne-turns-heads-at-rookie-camp-37251478

Auburn's Cameron Artis-Payne turns heads at rookie campFormer Auburn running back Cameron Artis-Payne, a fifth-round draft pick with a point to prove, was one of the standouts at the Carolina Panthers’ rookie minicamp.

According to Jeremy Igo of Carolina Huddle, Artis-Payne has already left a strong impression after the rookie minicamp. Here’s what Jeremy Igo of Carolina Huddle had to say:

"Artis-Payne appeared to be much shiftier than many give him credit for. Frequently on his handoffs he would move laterally in an instant to find the hole. His 5-10 frame allowed him to disappear behind the offensive line for a brief instant, exactly what I saw from Deangelo Williams' first rookie camp many seasons ago. Artis-Payne showed good patience and followed his blockers extremely closely, sometimes resting his forearm on their back to make sure."

"Running routes out of the backfield is where Artis-Payne really started to shine. He is a very fluid route runner and adjusts well to the ball, hips turning and hands in perfect position to make the grab. With as many single-back sets as the Panthers run, this is a necessary skill if a running back wants to see the field on game days."

Rotoworld:

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton believes rookie RB Cameron Artis-Payne would take over lead duties if Jonathan Stewart went down.

Artis-Payne is still behind Fozzy Whittaker and possibly Darrin Reaves on the depth chart, but of the three he is the most well equipped to handle an early-down role. Though Artis-Payne lacks high-end talent, he is the likely handcuff to an extremely injury-prone running back. He is a sneaky flier late in drafts.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 28 - 3:58 PM

Career backup with some handcuff value IMO. Only way he sees the field is if Stewart gets hurt (definitely possible).
yea doesn't seem like a stretch to see stewy go down with them shaky ankles.. artis payne is on my sleeper radar to OP.

Grabbed him in the 13th. Just can't see Stewart lasting all year but even then, its a long shot for this guy.

I think I'm going to target CAP late and, knowing that, I might be a smidge more open to JStew if he falls to me.

Drafted him last night at 2.7 of my dynasty league rookie/free agent draft.

I like how he has looked. Running with the starters in pre-season, backing up a guy who is made of glass. Upside is there for a sneaky sleeper at RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno ... I mean he's looked ok, but CAR offense isn't good and you might have to wait a year or even two and then end up with a Christine Michael or Monte Ball :(

I dunno ... I mean he's looked ok, but CAR offense isn't good and you might have to wait a year or even two and then end up with a Christine Michael or Monte Ball :(
Sure, Artis-Payme may never amount to much or play. I think he's got a good shot at playing this year, even if it's a small role. The major difference in him and the guys you mention however is the investment cost upfront. Those guys were 1st round picks, many times high 1st round picks. Artis-Payne is going mid 2nd at best and many times 3rd. If you drafted early, he was almost free.

Sure, Artis-Payme may never amount to much or play. I think he's got a good shot at playing this year, even if it's a small role. The major difference in him and the guys you mention however is the investment cost upfront. Those guys were 1st round picks, many times high 1st round picks. Artis-Payne is going mid 2nd at best and many times 3rd. If you drafted early, he was almost free.
meh. He is a waste of roster space.

Jstew probably carries the most injury risk of any #1RB in the league. He has chronic ankle problems going back to high school. He is constantly nicked up. From that standpoint, Artis-Payne is hardly a waste of roster space.

Jstew probably carries the most injury risk of any #1RB in the league. He has chronic ankle problems going back to high school. He is constantly nicked up. From that standpoint, Artis-Payne is hardly a waste of roster space.
Agreed, especially in dyno leagues. He is almost free, could be a starting RB at any point of the year. he has trade value if that were to occur, as well as the slim possibility you end up with the next diamond in the rough. Or, if not, drop him

good stat line but no first or second RB's are running last pre-season game .....

so I'm thinking he's a good dynasty stash but for this year backup/backup is all .... which tempers my expectations but still

Later in the year, this guy could be a waiver wire darling but hard to justify early unless the benches are deep.

good stat line but no first or second RB's are running last pre-season game .....

so I'm thinking he's a good dynasty stash but for this year backup/backup is all .... which tempers my expectations but still
There's no stash value with a player like him. He will be replaced next year. It's almost a miracle that there's nothing in front of him but Stewart. This is almost certainly his only chance and his career year.

This is a pure opportunity play.

He will have it with J-Stews history.

Dynasty stash, redraft deep bench stash, obvious J-Stew handcuff

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Ask-Bryan-Stewart-running-the-show/1ff7dc4d-411d-4feb-af93-90ebcecb32ab

Would Rivera like to get them involved? (Rookie RB's)

Absolutely. But there are only so many offensive snaps to go around and so many gameday roster spots. Artis-Payne was among the 46 active players in the opener but was inactive in Week 2 in part because the Panthers wanted to get a look at what recently acquired wide receiver Kevin Norwood could do. Especially if wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery is out this week and defensive starters Luke Kuechly and Star Lotulelei are able to return to action, it will be hard to find a spot for either of the rookie running backs. One way or the other, though, their time will come.

So far he has been a waste of roster space.

I'm amazed Stewart stayed healthy. Grabbed as a flyer bench spot for hopefully the playoffs. Doesn't look like the normal Stewart this year though.

I never bothered getting CAP. I figure a lesser version of JStew who still won't get GL touches nor use in the passing game is kinda pointless. Then again, I need to remind myself: a RB w/ a pulse has value.

I'm amazed Stewart stayed healthy. Grabbed as a flyer bench spot for hopefully the playoffs. Doesn't look like the normal Stewart this year though.
CAP was one I was high on this preseason.

And oddly enough, I never acquired him in the one league I roster JSTEW.

JSTEW seemed to start off slow this year, hopefully that slow start has translated into playoff goodness.

FWIW- I am solid at RB in that league, though it is worth mentioning CAP is still on that wire.

In fact, CAP is still available in ALL FOUR of my redraft leagues , and I don't believe he was EVER on anyones roster this year in my leagues.

(2 12 teamers, and 2 10 teamers)

I would most likely be able to get him if something happened.

I can't say I am too stoked about his potential now, as he has done essentially nothing since his 8 carries in week 4.

I just happened to check his Yahoo notes on this guy, and as a fluke there was an update today.

It reads... "ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton reports CAP would take over as an every down back if JSTEW went down".

I doubt that, or at least I reckon he would be brought in slowly over a game or two.

Even if something happened tomorrow, I don't know how much he would do for any of us by week 16.

Not to mention the note said he has been inactive the last 4 weeks.

TZM

There's also the potential that if the Panthers have things locked up, they may want to limit Stewart's carries. So maybe a chance for him to squeeze some work out in weeks 15-16. Not much to go on but he's a better body than anything else I see out there.

Stewart out, Artis-Payne up for Week 15

CHARLOTTE – For the first time this season, the Panthers will be without workhorse running back Jonathan Stewart. The NFL’s third-leading rusher with 989 yards will not play Sunday against the Giants after suffering a sprained foot in last week’s win over the Falcons."He’s not going to play this week. We are going to be very cautious with this," head coach Ron Rivera said. "The MRI came back negative, but there was some swelling. We’re going to be smart."

With Stewart out, the Panthers will turn to a backfield trio of Fozzy Whittaker, Mike Tolbertand rookie Cameron Artis-Payne to handle the workload.

Rivera said Whittaker or Tolbert will get the start based on whichever personnel group offensive coordinator Mike Shula opts to open with.

"We’re in a good situation with Fozzy and Tolbert, who have done a really nice job," Rivera said.

Whittaker, a shifty runner with speed to get the edge, is coming off his most productive game of the season. He rushed eight times for 34 yards and a touchdown against Atlanta.

Tolbert is a bulldozing runner who has primarily been a short-yardage option this season. He’s rushed 45 times for 175 yards and one touchdown. He’s also been a threat in the passing game, catching 15 passes for 132 yards and three touchdowns.

Artis-Payne, a fifth-round draft choice from Auburn, is still relatively unknown. He has played in just four games, carrying the ball 12 times for 31 yards. Eight of those carries came against the Buccaneers back in Week 4.

"This is a big opportunity for Cameron. I’m excited about it," Rivera said. "This is a young man that we drafted and we saw some really good flashes. It’s a great opportunity to see what he can do."

Artis-Payne has been waiting patiently for his chance to make an impact. He hasn’t been active since Week 8.

"It’s been tough, but we’re winning so it’s not really a problem," Artis-Payne said. "The whole goal of team sports is to go out there and win."

Artis-Payne is confident he can help Carolina do that for the 14th consecutive time this season.

"I feel like I am different than Stew, but I feel I can get the job done as well," Artis-Payne said. "Stew is a proven running back. I haven’t really played yet, so we are going to see.

"I’ve been ready," he added. "I’ve felt comfortable in the system since training camp. I’ve just been trying to stay sharp until I got my opportunity."

Red How much are you feeling Rivera's quote? I had already read it and put the guy in my lineup..

Obviously I have a few options, but Im thinking this is legit Solid Def great QB (RBs may hope for more, but it aint all bad)

Dismattle said:
Red How much are you feeling Rivera's quote? I had already read it and put the guy in my lineup..

Obviously I have a few options, but Im thinking this is legit Solid Def great QB (RBs may hope for more, but it aint all bad)
What did you read from the comments from RIvera that lead you to think CAP is worth putting in as a starter of your line up?

He says Fozzy or Tolbert will get the start depending on what formation is called the first play. Meaning these two RB will get the majority of the opportunities. CAP will be active and he may get some opportunity, but based on what Rivera said I would assume CAP is the 3rd guy. If you count Cam as a runner that makes CAP the fourth guy.

He can't get opportunity being inactive. So his situation for opportunity has improved from nothing, but I don't see how it has improved to much more than nothing.

I don't see a rookie RB coming in week 15 with Cam Newtons protection at risk. He will see some action week 17 , and maybe week 16.

The Panthers had 77 offensive plays and CAP had the most snaps of the RB. He also had the most rushing attempts yards and total yards.

C Artis-Payne RB 31 snaps 40% 14 rushing attempts 59 yards 4.2ypc 2 targets 2 receptions 34 yards 93 total yards

F Whittaker RB 26 snaps 34% 2 rushing attempts 2 yards 1ypc 2 targets 2 receptions 14 yards 16 total yards

M Tolbert FB 23 snaps 30% 5 rushing attempts 10 yards 2ypc

What do we think this week? Atlanta is a beautiful matchup. The Panthers were Sherman on the ground last time they went against Atlanta.

I am rolling the dice on him this week, largely due to matchup and lack of better options. I have Jeremy Hill available, but his ceiling seems so low against the Broncos that I feel the need to look elsewhere. I am starting to warm up to his potential this week, as the Falcons run d is very generous and the Panthers should be in a position where they lean on the run game. Hoping for 15+ carries.

He's my #2 RB this week and I'm fairly confident in 100 total yards. Tolbert may vulture TDs though. Good floor but not an exceptional ceiling.

He's my #2 RB this week and I'm fairly confident in 100 total yards. Tolbert may vulture TDs though. Good floor but not an exceptional ceiling.
Mine too, with Michael as my #1. :X

Not sure how I got here, but Bernard against Denver and Ivory against NE just don't excite me at all with how bad they've been lately. I think Michael and CAP have the best bets to get 15-20 touches and at this point, that is what I am looking for because Bernard and Ivory. I may change my mind on Ivory as he's gotten way more carries at home, but if NE gets out in front early, Powell's going to be in on almost every snap.

Mine too, with Michael as my #1. :X Not sure how I got here, but Bernard against Denver and Ivory against NE just don't excite me at all with how bad they've been lately. I think Michael and CAP have the best bets to get 15-20 touches and at this point, that is what I am looking for because Bernard and Ivory. I may change my mind on Ivory as he's gotten way more carries at home, but if NE gets out in front early, Powell's going to be in on almost every snap.
It's just been that kind of year. Both myself and my opponent are likely playing multiple players that we just added in the last 1-2 weeks. I'm between Hightower and CAP. Cousins at QB. No clue who my 3rd WR will be. Inman? Tye? Moncrief? Parker? This is a nutty year.

Mine too, with Michael as my #1. :X Not sure how I got here, but Bernard against Denver and Ivory against NE just don't excite me at all with how bad they've been lately. I think Michael and CAP have the best bets to get 15-20 touches and at this point, that is what I am looking for because Bernard and Ivory. I may change my mind on Ivory as he's gotten way more carries at home, but if NE gets out in front early, Powell's going to be in on almost every snap.
It's just been that kind of year. Both myself and my opponent are likely playing multiple players that we just added in the last 1-2 weeks. I'm between Hightower and CAP. Cousins at QB. No clue who my 3rd WR will be. Inman? Tye? Moncrief? Parker? This is a nutty year.
This happens pretty much every year. People just forget.

Absolutely, I've had guys on my bench (Powell, Rawls, David Johnson) that I dropped too soon because they went completely dormant and the good teams at the end of the year seem like the ones who were at the top of the WW at the right time. I used my #1 WW on Ware and got a great week and a good week out of him before he got hurt. Had I waited one more week, I'd have David Johnson or had I had it the week before I'd have DeAngelo (I was #2). Just luck on those.

This happens pretty much every year. People just forget.
I've had guys I've added later in the season help me, but not like this. Gronk is literally the only guy on my team that I drafted and Julio is the only guy on my opponent's team that he drafted.

Red What ya figure for yds/TD's this week? Or ya still think we should be concerned w/ the veteran backs?
I wanted to say your instincts were correct about starting CAP last week although statements from the coaches indicated Fozzy and Tolbert.

I watched the beginning of this game and it was Tolbert and Fozzy early on in the game. I had to do something else and did not see CAP in the game except for one play in the 1st quarter.

Fozzy was getting nothing done and Tolbert not much better although I do think Tolbert combos well as a FB for Cam on designed runs and read option. Cams big run happened on a read option play.

I have CAP on some of my teams drafted before the season. It looks like he will get opportunities if Stewart is not available.

Thinking of starting CAP over Ivory and R. Mathews.

This seems encouraging. He had 16 touches last week. If his role increases even more and has 20+ touches against the ATL lousy run D in a game script that should have CAR up and leaning on the run late...good things could happen.

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton believes Cameron Artis-Payne will have a bigger role Week 16.
Artis-Payne easily led the backfield with 16 touches last week, but he did not emerge as the clear lead until the second half. He should have a bigger role from the first snap against the Falcons. He is a low-end RB2 play.

Thinking of starting CAP over Ivory and R. Mathews.

This seems encouraging. He had 16 touches last week. If his role increases even more and has 20+ touches against the ATL lousy run D in a game script that should have CAR up and leaning on the run late...good things could happen.

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton believes Cameron Artis-Payne will have a bigger role Week 16.
Artis-Payne easily led the backfield with 16 touches last week, but he did not emerge as the clear lead until the second half. He should have a bigger role from the first snap against the Falcons. He is a low-end RB2 play.
Is that report Cam's brother?

David Newton

How trustworthy is he?

Users who are viewing this thread