What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton is a baby... needs to grow up before he can be a leader (1 Viewer)

me too man, me too... always been my favorite player to watch... I hope Cam can learn something from him so that he can be the leader this team needs
Sucker punches, ignoring coaches, and throwing teammates under the bus, in the media: Leadership.
Rumor has it that he also wears white shoes after labor day AND rips tags off of mattresses. That man is one bad seed.
As long as he chew gum.

Its almost always results oriented analysis when evaluating stuff like this....

Take the 1989 Super Bowl against the Cincinnati Bengals. The San Francisco 49ers were down by three points with 3:20 left when Montana spotted -- no, not an open receiver -- but a personality. "There, in the stands, standing near the exit ramp," Montana said to tackle Harris Barton. "Isn't that John Candy?" And then he led the 49ers 92 yards, throwing for the winning touchdown with 34 seconds left.
Because Joe Montana wins a lot of games, hes "so cool under pressure" when he does stuff like this.But now imagine if this same story came out about Tony Romo after one of his late game fails....everyone would be saying "OMG, he cares more about some random celebrity in the stands than his team!!!"

Or consider how Magic Johnson was praised for his "love of the game" because he was constantly smiling and "having fun out there." But when Lebron James was doing the same thing but didn't win any titles it was all "He doesn't take the game seriously enough."

Bottom line: When you win, people are going to look at your personality and come up with narratives that explain why your personality is conducive to winning; When you lose people are going to look at your personality and come up with narratives that explain why your personality is conducive to losing. In reality, talent and skill matter a ton more though.

I do think Steve Smith/other teammates calling him out is the best point against Cam. Its very possible that he is a NORMAL young player who will mature over time. But all of this "OMG, he'll never learn...hes going to be just like ________(insert QB here who has not won a title so people find a reason to bash his personality as if that were a major cause)" is over the top.
:goodposting: Ahhh... the bold just put me at peace with this situation. :D

Someone understands!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cam & Panthers run, Panthers win (6-3 career in games in which he runs for 50+ yards)

All but 1 of his 7 career victories, he threw 27 passes or less.

The book is out. Up to him and Panthers staff to adjust.

I couldn't believe what I saw after that loss. I was a big Cam believer, but I didn't know he has such a soft mental makeup. Every player has bad games, but you can't respond that way. He is supposed to be a team leader, not the team baby. I'm sure teammates cringed when they saw that.

I couldn't believe what I saw after that loss. I was a big Cam believer, but I didn't know he has such a soft mental makeup. Every player has bad games, but you can't respond that way. He is supposed to be a team leader, not the team baby. I'm sure teammates cringed when they saw that.
It made me cringe as a Panther fan. A lot of those guys on the team know what great leadership is from when they played with Jake Delhomme. Jake isn't nearly as talented as Cam, but Jake was a great leader. Jake had some bad games, especially his last two years with the Panthers, but in those bad games he remained the rajun cajun full of fire. Cam is young and a work in progress, and I think he will grow into a leader. Sometimes teammates have to give some tough love to help make that happen.

@Panthers

Rivera says Newton was proactive in seeking out mind coach. Noted it was not done thru team, but a case of Cam seeking to better himself.

@PanthersRivera says Newton was proactive in seeking out mind coach. Noted it was not done thru team, but a case of Cam seeking to better himself.
Not a big deal, I remember Joe Montana sought out a mind coach over in Haight-Ashbury after the '79 season and look how that turned out.

Ed Werder ‏@EdwerderespnCam Newton held up team buses for long time while sitting in locker room alone and setting record for most lotion applied post shower.
Ed Werder ‏@EdwerderespnNewton also walked off while questions still being asked by people waiting forever. Gisele wasn't that upset after losing Super Bowl

Ed Werder @EdwerderespnCam Newton is good player and any NFL coach would want him. Not doing himself any favors with these antics. Imagine his teammates hurt same

Its almost always results oriented analysis when evaluating stuff like this....

Take the 1989 Super Bowl against the Cincinnati Bengals. The San Francisco 49ers were down by three points with 3:20 left when Montana spotted -- no, not an open receiver -- but a personality. "There, in the stands, standing near the exit ramp," Montana said to tackle Harris Barton. "Isn't that John Candy?" And then he led the 49ers 92 yards, throwing for the winning touchdown with 34 seconds left.
Because Joe Montana wins a lot of games, hes "so cool under pressure" when he does stuff like this.But now imagine if this same story came out about Tony Romo after one of his late game fails....everyone would be saying "OMG, he cares more about some random celebrity in the stands than his team!!!"

Or consider how Magic Johnson was praised for his "love of the game" because he was constantly smiling and "having fun out there." But when Lebron James was doing the same thing but didn't win any titles it was all "He doesn't take the game seriously enough."

Bottom line: When you win, people are going to look at your personality and come up with narratives that explain why your personality is conducive to winning; When you lose people are going to look at your personality and come up with narratives that explain why your personality is conducive to losing. In reality, talent and skill matter a ton more though.

I do think Steve Smith/other teammates calling him out is the best point against Cam. Its very possible that he is a NORMAL young player who will mature over time. But all of this "OMG, he'll never learn...hes going to be just like ________(insert QB here who has not won a title so people find a reason to bash his personality as if that were a major cause)" is over the top.
:goodposting: Ahhh... the bold just put me at peace with this situation. :D

Someone understands!
This is a great point and I thought about this a lot when Jay Cutler was getting bashed for chewing out an OL a few weeks back.

Now, do I think Jay Cutler is a great QB or amazing leader... not really. But - when he was chewing out Webb on national TV, he took a lot of flak from people saying "that's not how a leader is supposed to act". However, when, say, Dan Marino did that back in the day, or when Tom Brady or Peyton Manning get on an OL for missing a block, or a RB for failing to pick up the blitz, or a WR for running the wrong route, you'll hear all kinds of comments abou what great leaders they are. For the first and only time, I actually sided with Cutler, and felt he almost couldn't win.

There's been other incidents where I felt the criticism of Cutler was warranted, but I didn't think that was one of them.

Werder seems bitter than Cam left without answering his questions.

Honestly, as a Panthers fan, I really don't care if he leaves the ESPN reporters high and dry. He showed a lot of leadership on the field today, and even gave Steve Smith a pep talk after a fumble. I'd definitely like to see him take losses a little bit better, but to be honest, I don't mind a guy getting a little down when he loses a tough game. The sulking is something that I hope he grows out of, but I think a lot of this stuff is being blown out of proportion.

He's a guy who has pretty much won at every level he's ever played, so he's struggling with being on a bad team for the first time in his life...and he's learning to react to it. He's definitely immature and has some growing up to do, but I think he'll get there. Struggling through these years will hopefully help him grow a little bit and learn to be a better leader.

Cam Newton has such a strong personality type. pure and simple, a winner
Newton is a loser, will always be a loser.He's a worthless QB, if not for his garbage rushing yards no one would talk about him for fantasy either.
Yeah, winning at every level he's ever played prior to this point just screams "loser".4000+ passing yards last year, and even by eliminating every rushing touchdown and all of his rushing yards, he would have ended up at QB10 (in my league - 6pt passing touchdowns) last season.

Yeah, winning at every level he's ever played prior to this point just screams "loser".4000+ passing yards last year, and even by eliminating every rushing touchdown and all of his rushing yards, he would have ended up at QB10 (in my league - 6pt passing touchdowns) last season.
Cam has an odd personality. People are always going to go out of their way to discredit him. I found it comical the way the announcers were praising Steve Smith for his "leadership" this week. As if calling out a young QB publicly is good leadership. As much of a competitor as Smith is - and that should be admired - a leader he has never been. It stopped being funny when they mentioned Vince Young as a potential destination or comparison. Young had very serious mental issues, was not very smart, and was lazy. I know Cam can rub people the wrong way, and his body language can lead something to be desired, but that is a very unprofessional comparison to throw around so lazily.

As much of a competitor as Smith is - and that should be admired - a leader he has never been.
disagree here
I think many would disagree with me. And I don't have the information to say 'never', so that is not fair. But he has sucker punched a teammate, been involved in other fights, he calls his teammates out publicly, he makes a production out of his lack of quality targets (when applicable), he has been suspended at least twice that I remember, fights on the field...

'Concept Coop said:
'FDC said:
'Concept Coop said:
As much of a competitor as Smith is - and that should be admired - a leader he has never been.
disagree here
I think many would disagree with me. And I don't have the information to say 'never', so that is not fair. But he has sucker punched a teammate, been involved in other fights, he calls his teammates out publicly, he makes a production out of his lack of quality targets (when applicable), he has been suspended at least twice that I remember, fights on the field...
He punched Ken Lucas, a free agent who never fit in with the team and was cut after the season... and Lucas was on his knees mocking Smith's height when the incident occurred.He is a long time team captain. Very well respected. He is THE leader in Carolina and has grown up a lot. He also publicly apologized for going public with the Cam talk.

'Concept Coop said:
'solorca said:
I found it comical the way the announcers were praising Steve Smith for his "leadership" this week. As if calling out a young QB publicly is good leadership. As much of a competitor as Smith is - and that should be admired - a leader he has never been.
Panthers fan here, and I completely disagree. Smith is the very definition of a leader on the team. He takes the young players under his wings and spends time working with them after practice, in the offseason, etc. Smith has had a few issues in the past, but for the most part, he's THE leader of the Panthers and one of the most respected players on the team, from all levels. Smith gets a bad rap because of the fighting issues he's had in the heat of the battle, but both on AND off the field, he's a leader.For the record, he didn't call out Newton publicly. He called him out to his face, on the sidelines. It was just reported publicly.

Another article on this exact thing.....http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--panthers-qb-cam-newton-getting-no-benefit-of-the-doubt-when-it-comes-to--losing--demeanor.htmlIts not a coincidence.
Funny how the author references an Urban Meyer quote, and Meyer loved the way he handled losing. Whats the big deal? :shrug: "His competitive nature superseded anyone who was at that camp," Meyer said. "He would not lose an event. Any mistake he made, it ate him up. You could see, clearly, that he wanted to win and he didn't handle losing well. At all. He just wanted back out there so he could win."I loved it, of course."

He punched Ken Lucas, a free agent who never fit in with the team and was cut after the season... and Lucas was on his knees mocking Smith's height when the incident occurred.He is a long time team captain. Very well respected. He is THE leader in Carolina and has grown up a lot. He also publicly apologized for going public with the Cam talk.
Leadership is very subjective, and honestly, I fully acknolege that I am in no possition to claim a player isn't a leader with any backing. His teammates are, and that's pretty much it.But, his past isn't what I would point to as leadership. He is fiesty, sure. I think that can inspire people. But he is an emotional liability at times. Again, there are multiple incidents, not just the 2 you mentioned. He has punched 2 players, at least.

For the record, he didn't call out Newton publicly. He called him out to his face, on the sidelines. It was just reported publicly.
Not so. He was given the opportunity to do just that - keep it in house - but told reporters exactly why he was upset with Newton AFTER the sideline spat.

I've always said that I have no problem with a player who is upset after he loses the game. I don't care if he refuses to speak to the media or sits in the locker room sulking for an hour after the loss. That shows me that he's a guy who cares about the game and has trouble accepting a loss. Michael Jordan (I'm not comparing Newton to him, just using him as an example) was the same way. If he lost a big game, he was devastated.

Where I want to see Cam improve is in his demeanor when the game is still happening. When the game is still going on, he needs to be a leader on the sidelines between offensive drives. I do have faith that he'll improve in that area, but it's going to take some work on his part.

For the record, he didn't call out Newton publicly. He called him out to his face, on the sidelines. It was just reported publicly.
Not so. He was given the opportunity to do just that - keep it in house - but told reporters exactly why he was upset with Newton AFTER the sideline spat.
They asked him about it, and he gave a response. You can't "call someone out" publicly when you've already said it to his face.Newton told the media exactly what happened as well.

They asked him about it, and he gave a response. You can't "call someone out" publicly when you've already said it to his face.Newton told the media exactly what happened as well.
Of course you can call someone out publicly after saying it to their face. All he had to say was: "What was said was between us."And, apparently, he apologized for it. So, he thought it was wrong too.

You didn't even read the article, did you?There's absolutely nothing in there.

This is all the damning evidence they could scrounge up this week:

Carolina lost anyway, and how Newton dealt with it was an immediate focus, again.

"I dropped the ball out there," Newton said. "I want to apologize to my teammates and to the fans that were watching out there."

Some teammates, notably Greg Olsen, reminded reporters that such a big win wouldn't have even been possible without Newton, but the fact is the QB remains a focus.
The article basically says "Cam threw a tantrum last week against the Giants, and even though he didn't put on anything close to such a display this week, we're still going to run articles like this because we know there are a lot of Cam haters out there like ImTheScientist who will eat this story up without even reading it."

Leadership is very subjective, and honestly, I fully acknolege that I am in no possition to claim a player isn't a leader with any backing. His teammates are, and that's pretty much it.But, his past isn't what I would point to as leadership. He is fiesty, sure. I think that can inspire people. But he is an emotional liability at times. Again, there are multiple incidents, not just the 2 you mentioned. He has punched 2 players, at least.
He is not the headache you think he ishttp://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/05/3507121/smith-says-walk-a-mile-in-his.html

Cam Newton is about Cam Newton. He's the only person he cares about. The rest be dammed.

Look back at his brief time at AU and you will notice the same traits.

It's all about Cam.

Doesn't mean he's not a good player, just means his ego is ginormous.

Cam Newton is about Cam Newton. He's the only person he cares about. The rest be dammed. Look back at his brief time at AU and you will notice the same traits. It's all about Cam. Doesn't mean he's not a good player, just means his ego is ginormous.
Are you a Bama fan? If not, can you please provide examples of him only caring about himself? That is quite a claim to make, and I haven't seen anything that supports your claims, based on his time at Auburn.

'Concept Coop said:
'solorca said:
I found it comical the way the announcers were praising Steve Smith for his "leadership" this week. As if calling out a young QB publicly is good leadership. As much of a competitor as Smith is - and that should be admired - a leader he has never been.
Panthers fan here, and I completely disagree. Smith is the very definition of a leader on the team. He takes the young players under his wings and spends time working with them after practice, in the offseason, etc. Smith has had a few issues in the past, but for the most part, he's THE leader of the Panthers and one of the most respected players on the team, from all levels. Smith gets a bad rap because of the fighting issues he's had in the heat of the battle, but both on AND off the field, he's a leader.For the record, he didn't call out Newton publicly. He called him out to his face, on the sidelines. It was just reported publicly.
And anyone that says he isn't the leader gets his ### kicked. ;)

Here's all I'm going to say about Cam - he's an extremely talented player but he needs to be stronger emotionally if he wants to contend for Super Bowls and not just help us win fantasy titles. While it's not impossible for him to win a SB the way he is now a lot of things would have fall into place for it to happen. Currently he doesn't have the leadership to do what say Eli Manning has done in the playoffs.

I am a Bama fan but any non Bama fan who watched any Auburn game(s) when Cam was the QB could see the signs.

Find any footage AU's 2010 campaign. When he scores he celebrates without the team. He comes out with out the team. He sits alone on the bench. When he spoke to the media, it wasn't team oriented it was about Cam. Who did all of the hot little reporters talk to? Tate? Fairley? Nope, Cam.

Who had his own water bottle with the name "CAMMY JUICE" on it? Cam. Heck sometimes the water bottle would get more air time than Chizik would.

Who had a body guard follow him around campus? Cam.

Again, I'm not a but hurt Bammer nor am I knocking Cam's physical ability. He's great but open your eyes and you will see a guy with a huge ego that's all about him.

I think it's pretty simple with Smith: He's great as a team leader, but it's a problem if he's the team leader, as he's had to be.

Having that much toughness out of a WR is a truly wonderful thing. Just check out that block he made yesterday towards the goal-line.

He's a little hot-headed, but absolutely not a bad guy. Definitely somebody you want to go to battle with on a football field.

I liken him to my favorite basketball player, Stephen Jackson (like Smith, he's even carried a Charlotte team to a place it probably shouldn't have been).

Despite what ignorant people will tell you, Jackson is s fantastic guy to have on your team. But if he's got to be the leader of your team, you are in bad shape.

CAR needs someone else to be that guy. I think Cam can be. He's young and still has a ways to go, but he can be.

Users who are viewing this thread