What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Bailing on that Fumble... (1 Viewer)

fightingillini said:
Cam was exposed. Great when things are going great, shrivels up when things get tough. The Broncos got into Cam's head last night. Cam is going to need to learn how to deal with adversity.

But to walk out on the media last night was very bush league. Act respectful when you lose. Sure it's sucks to lose (tough to watch Norman cry on the sidelines), but it happens....DEN deserved to win, and CAR should be Super Bowl contenders again next year.

The media is going to eat him alive this offseason.
Agree. Not going to talk about his body language and the look on his face because that's silly. You can not walk out on a press conference when you lose.
An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I dislike Cam just as much as most here but I wouldn't blame the loss solely on him. He didn't play all that well but I give the Denver D all the credit. The Panther's WRs are also terrible and dropped too many passes. The OL sucked as well. The Panthers just looked bad all around other than their defense.
The loss isn't SOLELY on him... But when you're the MVP and acting like hot #### all year, you at least better be giving 110% out there, on EVERY SINGLE SNAP.

Would you say that?
I have a hard time believing anyone who claims he didn't is not a troll.

There are lots of explanations for the fumble thing, and "didn't give a ####/wasn't trying" is at the bottom of the list imo.

He should have gone for the ball. But to be fair, it was third and 9 at their own 25. Best-case scenario is the Panthers recover and have fourth and 15+ with 4:16 left, down by 6. They're almost certainly going to punt in that situation. It's not like they're going to get a shot at the end zone; unless Denver turns it over, it's either going to result in Denver running out the clock, or the Panthers getting the ball back deep in their own end. Which they did, and wound up with two incompletions, a 14-yard sack, and nearly a safety.

It's hard to imagine that Denver defense giving up an 80-yard TD drive in that situation, regardless.

I dislike Cam just as much as most here but I wouldn't blame the loss solely on him. He didn't play all that well but I give the Denver D all the credit. The Panther's WRs are also terrible and dropped too many passes. The OL sucked as well. The Panthers just looked bad all around other than their defense.
The loss isn't SOLELY on him... But when you're the MVP and acting like hot #### all year, you at least better be giving 110% out there, on EVERY SINGLE SNAP.

Would you say that?
I have a hard time believing anyone who claims he didn't is not a troll.There are lots of explanations for the fumble thing, and "didn't give a ####/wasn't trying" is at the bottom of the list imo.
Scared doesn't sound too much better.

He should have gone for the ball. But to be fair, it was third and 9 at their own 25. Best-case scenario is the Panthers recover and have fourth and 15+ with 4:16 left, down by 6. They're almost certainly going to punt in that situation. It's not like they're going to get a shot at the end zone; unless Denver turns it over, it's either going to result in Denver running out the clock, or the Panthers getting the ball back deep in their own end. Which they did, and wound up with two incompletions, a 14-yard sack, and nearly a safety.

It's hard to imagine that Denver defense giving up an 80-yard TD drive in that situation, regardless.
:confused:

What did he have to lose? What benefit was there to not even try?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ How many open receivers did he miss yesterday? And not under any special pressure either.

He didnt make MVP plays yesterday, Not one.
How many receivers dropped balls? Cotchery dropped a perfect pass down the sideline. The team played bad.

There was over 4:04 left and Carolina had Been shutting Denver's offense down. Panthers had all 3 TOs left too. Get that ball, punt, stop Denver. Get the ball back with at worst 2 mins left and only down 16-10.

Yea it was a terrible decision not to try.

^^^ How many open receivers did he miss yesterday? And not under any special pressure either.

He didnt make MVP plays yesterday, Not one.
Agree. There were 3-4 situations where Panthers were wide open and the throws just sailed on him. That's something he's done since he's been a rookie. He's been rock solid all year though.

He just missed on the few opportunities he did have. Can't blame him though he didn't have a "pocket" the entire 2nd half. I figured if Tom Brady couldn't figure it out, neither would Cam.
Yep. There was no way sCam was going to pass to a victory if Brady got owned by the same D. They should have designed more runs for him. I really thought late in the game he was just going to say screw it, I'm running but that never happened.

He was running for his life that entire game. Every time they zoomed in on him he was panting and looked terribly exhausted. I don't think he had enough fight left in him to start running and be effective at it.

He was running for his life that entire game. Every time they zoomed in on him he was panting and looked terribly exhausted. I don't think he had enough fight left in him to start running and be effective at it.
Guess that settles the running QB argument then. If he's too tired to run in the Super Bowl, what good is he.

That's all garbage. We like our smiley cheery QBs so much we act like it's wrong when they don't behave as such. He lost. He was upset. He acted like a guy that lost.

Mallett should be upset he gets pulled.

If either of these QBs weren't upset then that would be a problem.

All these people this morning...such hypocrites. How many people in America play sports? You gonna tell you were all smiley, tipping your hat "good game sir" after each game? Cmon. Some of the time, most of the time you can be all cordial and "they beat us, good game, they were the better team" after the game, but who doesn't get upset sometimes?

Manners are important. They should make a good impression upon everyone, sure, so should everyone all the time. Who does that though?

The people that claim Cam and some defensive guys let kids down by not behaving right...if your kid's good behavior is tied to whether a 250-300 pound beast that knocks people senseless for a living behaves, yeah that guy is the problem.

This is so overblown this morning. Newsflash, Cam is a person that's imperfect
So apparently the only options are:

1) Be happy-go-lucky smiley guy

2) Act like a petulant child and storm off

He didn't "act like a guy who lost". As stated earlier, there have been 49 superbowl losing QB's before him. To my knowledge, he's the first one to exhibit such a lack of sportsmanship. I'm open to being proven wrong, though.

To me it looked like he thought his lineman might get it and if not it will get knocked out of the pile (which it did). If he had backed out even further then he might have recovered the ball. It's like in basketball, you don't want 2 people boxing out the same area for a rebound. It's better not to put all your eggs in one basket. I didn't think he was trying to avoid injury, I thought he was trying to figure out where he thought the ball would go.

To me it looked like he thought his lineman might get it and if not it will get knocked out of the pile (which it did). If he had backed out even further then he might have recovered the ball. It's like in basketball, you don't want 2 people boxing out the same area for a rebound. It's better not to put all your eggs in one basket. I didn't think he was trying to avoid injury, I thought he was trying to figure out where he thought the ball would go.
That's what it looked like to me, but that's not a very good hot take.

Not going to talk about his body language and the look on his face because that's silly.
Do you believe his words, actions, and demeanor in the huddle have an impact on the play of his teammates? I think great leaders know this and inspire better play from teammates.

That's what it looked like to me, but that's not a very good hot take.
While that may be the case, it certainly didn't look that way to me or 99% of people, it's not something that he should be pausing to think about, instinct should take over and the dive for the ball should be automatic,/rote/muscle memory/reflex. You don't sit back and consider the decision. He who hesitates is lost and Cam lost.

Guess that settles the running QB argument then. If he's too tired to run in the Super Bowl, what good is he.
Uh. You watched that game, correct? He had 50 yards rushing but probably added 100 more getting chased in the backfield. I think anyone would be exhausted.

I knew the internet wouldn't let me down today.

Waking up and rewatching it after a nights sleep, and it's even worse this time around. Everyone in that locker room gave 110%, and then you have Cam.. more worried about being able to dab and make commercials after the game then doing whatever it takes to get his team the win.

As a teammate, I'd be absolutely livid with him. Sure... He's a big reason why they got to the SB, but NOTHING angered me more than saying he completely carried them on his back. Please. Their offense ain't THAT bad, and the defense? ELITE.

Cam lost the SB. Plain and simple.
So dumb...yes he had a terrible game but so did the offensive line, Tolbert with a big fumble and the coaching staff with a terrible game plan against Miller and Ware and not adjusting during the game. Denver's defense played lights out and deserves all the credit.
Cam w an even bigger and worse fumble.

Cam not going after a fumble, which cost them the chance at a comeback.

Cam overthrowing every WR, even when he wasnt under pressure.

He's a pretty solid reason why they lost.
Agreed but far from the only reason.

That is so awesome. God bless the NFL if Cam is ever the face of it. Too bad Peyton can't be ten years younger.
So a 37 year old peyton handled a press conference better then a 26 year old cam. Shocking. I think some are making this a much bigger deal then it really is.
Which part of Carolina you from?

There was over 4:04 left and Carolina had Been shutting Denver's offense down. Panthers had all 3 TOs left too. Get that ball, punt, stop Denver. Get the ball back with at worst 2 mins left and only down 16-10.

Yea it was a terrible decision not to try.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have tried for it. (In fact, the very first thing I said was that he should have tried for it). I'm just providing context, which is that recovering the fumble would still have resulted in turning the ball over to Denver. The situation wasn't one where it would sustain a drive or give Carolina a scoring chance.

That is so awesome. God bless the NFL if Cam is ever the face of it. Too bad Peyton can't be ten years younger.
So a 37 year old peyton handled a press conference better then a 26 year old cam. Shocking. I think some are making this a much bigger deal then it really is.
How did the 24 year old Wilson handle his loss last year? Or the much younger Peyton when he lost to the Saints? Since you think it's an age thing.

How did the 24 year old Wilson handle his loss last year? Or the much younger Peyton when he lost to the Saints? Since you think it's an age thing.
I just thought that was an irrelevant video. Cam is clearly a different personality. People that already didn't like him are loving this whole jumping down his throat for not acting the way the cookie cutter qb should act. So hes bummed they lost? Get over it. He walked out of a press conference, get over it. His team seemed to get behind him all season and they know him better then I would think any of us do.

I just thought that was an irrelevant video. Cam is clearly a different personality. People that already didn't like him are loving this whole jumping down his throat for not acting the way the cookie cutter qb should act. So hes bummed they lost? Get over it. He walked out of a press conference, get over it. His team seemed to get behind him all season and they know him better then I would think any of us do.
Things were great all season. Of course they were behind him. It was all Superman, dabbing, and sideline selfies. It was a big party all season in Carolina. Anyone can flash their pearly whites and wear zebra pants when things are going well. Mt Newton needs to hire someone to teach him how to act when the pressure is on. Or when he's disappointed.

Shocking that he acted the same way Lebron did when he didn't win his first NBA title with Cleveland. Interviewing the losing team hours after a loss in the biggest game of the year is stupid, personally I want my players to act like Cam did. I want their heart showing, I didn't need some corporate player who is fine with losing.

Things were great all season. Of course they were behind him. It was all Superman, dabbing, and sideline selfies. It was a big party all season in Carolina. Anyone can flash their pearly whites and wear zebra pants when things are going well. Mt Newton needs to hire someone to teach him how to act when the pressure is on. Or when he's disappointed.
Or maybe he learns from this? As he is still a fairly young man. I love how there is all this hate directed at cam for being a baby or whatever yet no one really gets on Aaron Rodgers case about acting the same way. He can be about a big a baby as there is.

Shocking that he acted the same way Lebron did when he didn't win his first NBA title with Cleveland. Interviewing the losing team hours after a loss in the biggest game of the year is stupid, personally I want my players to act like Cam did. I want their heart showing, I didn't need some corporate player who is fine with losing.
You want your MVP player pouting in front of the cameras?

K.

He wasnt mad. He wasn't fired up. He was sulking like a child

There was over 4:04 left and Carolina had Been shutting Denver's offense down. Panthers had all 3 TOs left too. Get that ball, punt, stop Denver. Get the ball back with at worst 2 mins left and only down 16-10.Yea it was a terrible decision not to try.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have tried for it. (In fact, the very first thing I said was that he should have tried for it). I'm just providing context, which is that recovering the fumble would still have resulted in turning the ball over to Denver. The situation wasn't one where it would sustain a drive or give Carolina a scoring chance.
No. The situation was clinging on to dear life to give yourself one last chance at winning the Super Bowl and making a legacy for yourself or ending the game right there. Even a FG makes in a 2 score game. Losing a fumble there was the end of the game.

You should coach a pee wee team. A lot of those little kids cry and sulk after a game.

He just lost the Superbowl. HE lost it. I know the line played like hell and the receivers dropped passes but Cam lost that game. He touches the ball on just about every down. I don't care that he sulked after the game. Anyone in here raising a stink about sulking in a press conference after losing the Superbowl is standing in the middle of a glass house, a pile of rocks next to him and a whole bunch of holes in the windows. 95% of you would probably react more like Cam than Peyton a couple years ago. The way you are crying like babies about him sulking proves the point for me.

I'm no Cam hater. I like him handing balls to the kids. I like him playing the game like a kid. But him not diving for the ball was BS. I'm sorry, but the first instinct has to be to get on that ball no matter the down, no matter the Superbowl or the regular season, or college game, he needs to get on that ball, or at least try to.

BUT OMG, HE SULKED AFTER THE GAME! SEE, HE'S A DIRTBAG, SCUMBALL, WUSS...whatever. Stop this right now.

He just lost the super bowl, he's not going to Disney World. He's going home to think about how all of his passes sailed and how he didn't dive for a fumble in a crucial point in the game and he gets to do that for the next 6 months and probably for the rest of his life. He sulked? Damn right he did. You would to. Lay off the sulking. It's a stupid argument. Blast him for not diving on the fumble. Don't cast any aspersions on him for sulking. They way you guys are moaning and whining after WATCHING a team lose the Superbowl, if you were in his shoes, you would be in the fetal position, thumb in your mouth, crying for your mom.

You should coach a pee wee team. A lot of those little kids cry and sulk after a game.
:yawn:

He just lost the Superbowl. HE lost it. I know the line played like hell and the receivers dropped passes but Cam lost that game. He touches the ball on just about every down. I don't care that he sulked after the game. Anyone in here raising a stink about sulking in a press conference after losing the Superbowl is standing in the middle of a glass house, a pile of rocks next to him and a whole bunch of holes in the windows. 95% of you would probably react more like Cam than Peyton a couple years ago. The way you are crying like babies about him sulking proves the point for me.

I'm no Cam hater. I like him handing balls to the kids. I like him playing the game like a kid. But him not diving for the ball was BS. I'm sorry, but the first instinct has to be to get on that ball no matter the down, no matter the Superbowl or the regular season, or college game, he needs to get on that ball, or at least try to.

BUT OMG, HE SULKED AFTER THE GAME! SEE, HE'S A DIRTBAG, SCUMBALL, WUSS...whatever. Stop this right now.

He just lost the super bowl, he's not going to Disney World. He's going home to think about how all of his passes sailed and how he didn't dive for a fumble in a crucial point in the game and he gets to do that for the next 6 months and probably for the rest of his life. He sulked? Damn right he did. You would to. Lay off the sulking. It's a stupid argument. Blast him for not diving on the fumble. Don't cast any aspersions on him for sulking. They way you guys are moaning and whining after WATCHING a team lose the Superbowl, if you were in his shoes, you would be in the fetal position, thumb in your mouth, crying for your mom.
I seem to recall 49 losing quarterbacks somehow manage to not act like a 12 year-old sent to his room. No one cares that he was mad or disappointed. That's natural. His childish sulking, rude responses, and getting up and leaving was the most embarrassing behavior for a Super Bowl quarterback in league history. He didn't lose on a blown call. Or a drop in the end zone. They lost by two touchdowns and he played terribly. Who the hell is he mad at?

Soulfly, you are one hell of an instigator!

But for real, I do think Josh Gordon will do well next year, even if he's not on the Browns.

One thing that isn't being talked about, the two teams were being interviewed within earshot of each other. So, not only did he just lose the biggest game of his life, he had to hear the Broncos bragging and saying what a joke/chump he is. I'm pretty sure even Peyton would be pissed off after that.

One thing that isn't being talked about, the two teams were being interviewed within earshot of each other. So, not only did he just lose the biggest game of his life, he had to hear the Broncos bragging and saying what a joke/chump he is. I'm pretty sure even Peyton would be pissed off after that.
Difference is, Manning (and most other QBs) are respected by the rest of the league and wouldn't have to worry about being called a joke and a chump. Manning doesn't try to show up the defense every time he scores. He doesn't signal a first down every time he gets one. When you spent the entire year disrespecting your opponents, you better have thick skin when you get owned. Too bad they don't make band aids for feelings. Hmm, where have I heard that before?

That's all garbage. We like our smiley cheery QBs so much we act like it's wrong when they don't behave as such. He lost. He was upset. He acted like a guy that lost.

Mallett should be upset he gets pulled.

If either of these QBs weren't upset then that would be a problem.

All these people this morning...such hypocrites. How many people in America play sports? You gonna tell you were all smiley, tipping your hat "good game sir" after each game? Cmon. Some of the time, most of the time you can be all cordial and "they beat us, good game, they were the better team" after the game, but who doesn't get upset sometimes?

Manners are important. They should make a good impression upon everyone, sure, so should everyone all the time. Who does that though?

The people that claim Cam and some defensive guys let kids down by not behaving right...if your kid's good behavior is tied to whether a 250-300 pound beast that knocks people senseless for a living behaves, yeah that guy is the problem.

This is so overblown this morning. Newsflash, Cam is a person that's imperfect
So apparently the only options are:

1) Be happy-go-lucky smiley guy

2) Act like a petulant child and storm off

He didn't "act like a guy who lost". As stated earlier, there have been 49 superbowl losing QB's before him. To my knowledge, he's the first one to exhibit such a lack of sportsmanship. I'm open to being proven wrong, though.
Sportsmanship is between he and the other team. He shook hands and all. That could sure be an example for little kids and we line em' up at preschool t-ball and soccer to high five the other team. He wasn't competing with reporters. That's not sportsmanship.

It's interesting how many people don't get it.

Imagine something where you failed in life, then go to a podium and get questioned by reporters about it.

How would you feel? What do you think it would be like?

Any player that misses a presser(I assume or walks out) gets fined. There's gotta be days that those wealthy players just figure, ya know what I'll take the fine.

What if Cam thought to himself- I've got a big mouth and will probably say something I'll regret? Does he have to stay? Is he wrong for not talking? Or is he (a little bit) wise for deciding to shush?

Bottom line is they are down 6 when this fumble happened and rather then try and give yourself a chance to stay in the game by making an effort to recover the fumble, he BACKED AWAY from it instead. He was defeated from the ball being stripped and gave up after that. That is not how a leader of a team should act.

If Kuechly intercepted a ball and had it stripped, does anyone here think for a minute that he wouldn't be in there trying to recover it?

Not that I'm defending Newton, but Wilson had won the superbowl the previous year so his loss last year may not have the same impact. Same with Peyton, who was still well into his 30s when the Saints beat him. He won his SB earlier with Indy against the Bears.

That isn't saying that Wilson would have sulked.. I don't think he would have. But he is a different personality altogether. Ditto Manning. Although I wish Cam had been more graceful, I don't really mind his passion. He had always said he hates to lose, and he has rarely lost big games in his past. As a Panthers fan I hope he learns from it and moves on.

The sulking is very important in this conversation.

It just FURTHER proves how he lacks leadership. Real Leaders do NOT sulk

Difference is, Manning (and most other QBs) are respected by the rest of the league and wouldn't have to worry about being called a joke and a chump. Manning doesn't try to show up the defense every time he scores. He doesn't signal a first down every time he gets one. When you spent the entire year disrespecting your opponents, you better have thick skin when you get owned. Too bad they don't make band aids for feelings. Hmm, where have I heard that before?
Explain to me that highlight where the entire Manning family is relieved and or cheering for Peyton and Eli isn't.

I'm not in here pretending I'm the moral police. I have a brother. I can empathize if Eli just realized his brother is gonna hold it over his head for the rest of his life.

He won a Superbowl. He is from the Manning family. He didn't behave like a good sport, as you allude to.

Why are you not bashing him?

Shouldn't a brother be happy for his sibling?

Why is it different for Cam than for every WR in the league?

Many other QBs celebrate and aren't called out like he is. I just don't get how it's different for him than for Rivers to get in someone's face after a TD or for Brady to run all the way down the field to celebrate after a long TD. It's not like Cam is walking over to the opposing sideline and doing it, he's just celebrating in the endzone, like 95% of players who score...

The sulking is very important in this conversation.

It just FURTHER proves how he lacks leadership. Real Leaders do NOT sulk
They just don't do it in public, but he had to go to the presser, so he didn't have a chance to sulk in private. Is it better or worse than just openly weeping like some players in the past?

I'm 100% sure that no matter what Cam did after this game, people would find a way to complain about it. I didn't like that the panthers took a team photo during a game this year, but I don't get the crazy hostility that's been thrown his way.

As a Steelers fan I support Antonio Brown who does 90% of the same things Cam does, and he doesn't get any flak for it. He does his little salsa dance and everyone laughs, but Cam kisses his bicep and people are freaking out.

Users who are viewing this thread