What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Caitlin Clark’s rookie salary is $76,000 (3 Viewers)

But what I found puzzling was that the $99 jersey has a giant AT&T logo on it.
I hate that this is happening for more and more sports. I hate baseball having these advertising logos. I hate that hockey is doing it too. To me it just makes the jersey look cheaper. Like an arena give away jersey rather than an real jersey. I think it looks tacky.

Agree 100%. Well said.

Came out just now she’s getting a 8 figure deal with Nike and her own shoe.

I just hope this turns NKE stock around. This thing has been a giant turd recently. Let's go, CC!
My first thought was there goes NIKE again throwing money they can't afford to. As a shareholder I hope I'm wrong and it's Jordan2.

They should divorce themselves from Fanatics yesterday.
I'm not real informed on the jersey market, but I have heard nothing but awful things about Fanatics.
Trash product with customer service that would make Spirit Airlines look like the Four Seasons.

Came out just now she’s getting a 8 figure deal with Nike and her own shoe.

I just hope this turns NKE stock around. This thing has been a giant turd recently. Let's go, CC!
My first thought was there goes NIKE again throwing money they can't afford to. As a shareholder I hope I'm wrong and it's Jordan2.

They should divorce themselves from Fanatics yesterday.
I'm not real informed on the jersey market, but I have heard nothing but awful things about Fanatics.
Trash product with customer service that would make Spirit Airlines look like the Four Seasons.
Why do people need to call Fanatics customer service?

"I think my Ippei Mizuhara bobblehead hacked my phone last night"?

Oh, they're selling direct now. I see. n/m. I always think of these things being purchased through a retailer. Clearly I'm up on the jersey and shukedoll markets.

Yeah, there's dozens of Reddit threads detailing the clusterfartery of the company....order a Reds hat, three months later get a Canucks pair of socks. Order the XXL for swim season, receive a smedium.

I hate that this is happening for more and more sports. I hate baseball having these advertising logos. I hate that hockey is doing it too. To me it just makes the jersey look cheaper. Like an arena give away jersey rather than an real jersey. I think it looks tacky.
This look is ingrained in soccer.

But the trade off is well worth it for me because of no commercial interruptions during play.

But the trade off is well worth it for me because of no commercial interruptions during play.
True

I think it's different for soccer because it has always been there (for me) so it is part of the uniform. It may get there with the other sports but for now it just makes the jersey's look cheap and tacky.

Just to be clear, Caitlin is not doing any complaining (publicly), nor is her agent. Blasting the whiners for their collective bad take is the appropriate play here
Absolutely. And it is also correct to point out that 76k is not a lot when you are one of the very best on this planet for the job.

Yeah, the continuous play in soccer is most pleasant. I'm a casual fan but love this aspect of it.

Absolutely. And it is also correct to point out that 76k is not a lot when you are one of the very best on this planet for the job
So someone wins a semantics argument. Hooray

The business is still the business. The WNBA has their numbers, there's no way around it.

Her value to the league is clearly higher than her salary.

Who cares? She's the biggest star in the sport, and got a massive endorsement deal that will only pay her like that if she's playing in the WNBA. So the WNBA has value to her as well.

She can go make more in another country, but she won't get that endorsement money if she's not on ESPN

Absolutely. And it is also correct to point out that 76k is not a lot when you are one of the very best on this planet for the job.
Being the very best on the planet is not worth very much at all if there is only a tiny market for what that person does
There are a whole lot of people in the Guiness book of World Records that make nothing off of their skillsets.

I think people are getting hung up on the pro athlete part. There are plenty of other sports where professional athletes don't make a ton of money. If Clark and this rookie class can carry over the entertainment factor from college to the pro level then they will make a lot more money very soon.

Clark, Cameron Brink and Angel Reese came into this draft with millions banked away already. They can leverage that. They will never have to play in Russia to supplement their income.

If they come into the WNBA with their financial futures already secure, I'm curious to see how this plays out. They could just refuse to play for the WNBA right now and force a larger conversation on how this league moves forward.

Leverage is a beautiful thing and they got it.

I think people are getting hung up on the pro athlete part. There are plenty of other sports where professional athletes don't make a ton of money. If Clark and this rookie class can carry over the entertainment factor from college to the pro level then they will make a lot more money very soon.

Clark, Cameron Brink and Angel Reese came into this draft with millions banked away already. They can leverage that. They will never have to play in Russia to supplement their income.

If they come into the WNBA with their financial futures already secure, I'm curious to see how this plays out. They could just refuse to play for the WNBA right now and force a larger conversation on how this league moves forward.

Say what now? Like go on strike?

Seems pretty reckless.

I think it's different for soccer because it has always been there (for me) so it is part of the uniform. It may get there with the other sports but for now it just makes the jersey's look cheap and tacky.

But in the context of this discussion - max superstar player earning $76k - it seems obvious that no WNBA team can leave a revenue stream untapped. And of course the replica jerseys fans buy have to include the shirt sponsor or it defeats the purpose. Even NBA teams have commercial sponsor patches now.

Say what now? Like go on strike?

Seems pretty reckless.

Not yet

They really don't. How is that conversation going to go?

"Pay up or we just won't play."

"No."

"OK. Well, pay up or we will start our own league."

"So we have to shut down and stop losing money? Uh, OK!"

"No."

Do you really think that 22-23 year old girls who have millions in the bank already will continue to play basketball for $75K per season? Why would they do that?

"No."

Do you really think that 22-23 year old girls who have millions in the bank already will continue to play basketball for $75K per season? Why would they do that?

Playing basketball for free is what allowed them to make millions of dollars. So why wouldn’t they play for $75,000 to keep the endorsement dollars flowing?

"No."

Playing basketball for free is what allowed them to make millions of dollars. So why wouldn’t they play for $75,000 to keep the endorsement dollars flowing?

This. Same reason people like Caitlin Clark could get massive endorsement/NIL deals in college. If she wasn't playing basketball that wouldn't have happened.

Being the very best on the planet is not worth very much at all if there is only a tiny market for what that person does
My kid plays competitive tiddlywinks (yes, seriously) and has met many of the top-ranked players in the world. I think they probably lose money playing.

"No."

Why would a billionaire like Taylor swift bother releasing albums that only make her a lousy few million a pop?

Caitlin Clark’s Reported $20M Nike Deal​

The WNBA landscape is witnessing a seismic shift with the revelation of Caitlin Clark's monumental shoe deal with Nike. The Indiana Fever standout's impending contract, reported to be north of $20 million or more, is poised to redefine the financial landscape for women's basketball players.

Shams Charania, the renowned NBA insider, dropped the bombshell during an episode of Up & Adams, disclosing that Clark's deal transcends the $10 million mark and is likely to soar past $20 million. While the exact figures are yet to be finalized, the implications of such a lucrative deal are already sending shockwaves through the basketball world.

Clark's journey to securing this groundbreaking agreement saw her courted by industry giants Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas. Reports suggest that Under Armour attempted to enlist her for the Curry Brand, with none other than Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry making a virtual appearance to pitch their case. Adidas also vied for her endorsement, but it was Nike's offer, reportedly in the eight-figure range, that ultimately won her over.

Instinctively, my reaction was that Steph should really show up in person, much like what was said in the above video but it is a busy period in the season so I guess it just wasn’t possible. As someone in the business of recruiting sports talent, I know first-hand the difference it makes when you go out of your way to show a talent you want them.

However, the significance of Clark's deal extends far beyond her individual success. Her deal is setting a new standard for the earning potential of WNBA athletes. The "rising tide raises all ships" adage rings true in this scenario, as Clark's unprecedented deal paves the way for increased visibility and financial opportunities for her fellow WNBA players, both present and future.

The infusion of such substantial sponsorship dollars into women's basketball signals a shifting paradigm, where the talent and marketability of female athletes are recognized and rewarded on par with their male counterparts in commercial deals off the court. Increased attention on Clark and her peers will not only boost viewership and attendance but also elevate the overall profile of the WNBA which benefits all involved.

With Clark leading the next charge, the path to more lucrative endorsement deals for WNBA players becomes clearer, empowering them to secure the recognition and compensation they deserve for their exceptional athleticism and skill. While it may take time for another deal of this magnitude to materialize and player salaries to improve, Clark's landmark Nike agreement catalyzes the continued growth and prosperity of women's basketball, proving that when one player succeeds at the highest level, it benefits the entire league.
Culture of Sport Newsletter

Just to be clear, Caitlin is not doing any complaining (publicly), nor is her agent. Blasting the whiners for their collective bad take is the appropriate play here
But she isnt one of the very best on the planet. She is one of the very best of a restricted subset that up until now has required charity to exist.

"No."

Would you allow the idea that a strike could be forthcoming? Men's sports have long histories of strikes by players who wanted to make more playing sports. Those people also once played for free.

History just had to rhyme for this to be a possibility in the future.

Even so, clubs have been adding more to the shorts, shoulders, and back

Some people play sports for free after college

Did those people get 18 million to tune their TV sets in to watch them?
Then I don't understand your argument why would someone with millions of dollars in the bank play for low money.

That is my point. I think this rookie class of WNBA players have a distinct financial advantage that separates them from their predecessors in the sport. They're already worth millions. They will never have to play in Russia for money.

IMO, I think a strike is forthcoming. Or at the very least, this topic is only going to get amplified. It's already sports media take artist fodder.

"No."

Would you allow the idea that a strike could be forthcoming? Men's sports have long histories of strikes by players who wanted to make more playing sports. Those people also once played for free.

History just had to rhyme for this to be a possibility in the future.
And those sports were profitable with the owners making bank.

Then I don't understand your argument why would someone with millions of dollars in the bank play for low money.

That is my point. I think this rookie class of WNBA players have a distinct financial advantage that separates them from their predecessors in the sport. They're already worth millions. They will never have to play in Russia for money.

IMO, I think a strike is forthcoming. Or at the very least, this topic is only going to get amplified. It's already sports media take artist fodder.
If they strike her $20m Nike contract probably goes goodbye

Kaepernick has made more money from Nike since he left football than he ever made in football.

We shall see. I don't think player's of Clark's caliber will be playing for $76K for very long.

Kaepernick has made more money from Nike since he left football than he ever made in football.

We shall see. I don't think player's of Clark's caliber will be playing for $76K for very long.
I agree if they can provide a product that puts butts in seats and eyeballs on the tube.

Never heard of a Colin shoe. Maybe you are right and banking on Nike making bad business decisions is a viable career strategy

But she isnt one of the very best on the planet. She is one of the very best of a restricted subset that up until now has required charity to exist
Operating at a loss isn't the same as charity.

Are you familiar with Major League Soccer?
When a business props up anither business for 25 years for motivations other than profit, i consider that charity. Maybe you disagree.

MLS is completely different. Writing was on the wall with potential. After how many years did they become top 5 for attendance for US sports? Top 3?

Timelines are nowhere near similar.

Never heard of a Colin shoe. Maybe you are right and banking on Nike making bad business decisions is a viable career strategy

Clothes, not shoes.

Nike stock action would agree with you. Bad after bad but they did just ink Clark, so.....

When a business props up anither business for 25 years for motivations other than profit, i consider that charity. Maybe you disagree
I disagree with your presumption that the NBA didn't think the WNBA was a viable business concept.

No idea why you think that, and I am sure I don't wanna know

When a business props up anither business for 25 years for motivations other than profit, i consider that charity. Maybe you disagree
I disagree with your presumption that the NBA didn't think the WNBA was a viable business concept.

Pretty ridiculous to call the WNBA charity. All kinds of businesses run departments or branches that aren’t profitable because they eventually expect it to be, for positive PR, to expand a customer base for profitable branches, test out new ideas, etc.

I've never had an issue with fanatics. Not that I order a ton but the few items have been on time and correct:shrug:
One time we ordered a Dirk jersey. They sent a Jason Kidd jersey.

So we got them to exchange it - minorly annoying.

They sent another Kidd jersey. This time, they said sorry, keep it, sending the thing you bought.

They sent another Kidd jersey. They said they would overnight the right jersey.

They sent another Kidd jersey. We got a refund. And 3 Jason Kidd jerseys.

Bought a Dirk jersey the next time we were at the actual arena. Lol.

Pretty ridiculous to call the WNBA charity. All kinds of businesses run departments or branches that aren’t profitable because they eventually expect it to be, for positive PR, to expand a customer base for profitable branches, test out new ideas, etc.
Well, the most ridiculous reason to call it a charity is because it's a marketing expense, not a charity. I've been in the room and spoken with the people who made/continue to make the WNBA decision, and it's not because they think long term it'll be really profitable (some people think that but its not the consensus).

It's because they think that little girls growing up liking basketball will mean more NBA fans, tv eyes, merch sales, game tickets, stadium revenue, etc from women who become NBA fans because they grew up liking basketball.

Last edited:

You would be wrong. Not a charity, but they did not and at least as of 2021 were not counting on it becoming a viable business concept. It's a marketing expense.

I've never had an issue with fanatics. Not that I order a ton but the few items have been on time and correct:shrug:
One time we ordered a Dirk jersey. They sent a Jason Kidd jersey.

So we got them to exchange it - minorly annoying.

They sent another Kidd jersey. This time, they said sorry, keep it, sending the thing you bought.

They sent another Kidd jersey. They said they would overnight the right jersey.

They sent another Kidd jersey. We got a refund. And 3 Jason Kidd jerseys.

Bought a Dirk jersey the next time we were at the actual arena. Lol.
I ordered a George Kittle jersey. Fanatics sent me a University of Montana Hoodie. I tried to return it. But they wouldnt refund me. Because i didnt send them back a "George Kittle Jersey". Never got a refund. Will never buy from them again.

@General Malaise I havent read all of this, so I could be regurgitating things already covered, but...

Iirc, revenues were up significantly last year and have approximately quadrupled in the last 5ish years. Deal with ESPN is up next year? Viewership has been trending up. I'd think that gets them a bigger check from media rights.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see some of the newer players like Amazon Prime get involved if given the chance, which could help that check grow as well. If the influx of high profile talent helps continue to drive eyeballs to screens, that comes at an optimal time for them. They may gain some leverage, but they may not need it. And if the endorsements keep flowing to the top players, you don't harm the source of that. One hand washes the other. The Clarks and Stewarts of the world are going to be just fine. It's the low-end players who might need a boost.

And if the endorsements keep flowing to the top players, you don't harm the source of that. One hand washes the other. The Clarks and Stewarts of the world are going to be just fine. It's the low-end players who might need a boost.
And hey, if they are able to play professionally as a career, but don't become crazy multi-millionaires, then that puts them on a level with professional athletes in a lot of other leagues, in a lot of other sports, in this country, and others.

They are getting 6-8000 people a game, ish? With TV deals, and NBA backing them, no reason that league cannot become profitable.

They will never be the NBA? Well, a big fat f***ing DUH from me.

Users who are viewing this thread