What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Caitlin Clark’s rookie salary is $76,000 (1 Viewer)

We'll find out, the majority of Indiana's games will be on TV this season.
National TV?
If so I’ll probably watch a few. I’m not sure I’ve ever watched a WNBA game before.
Yep, TV Schedule

September seems a bit long this year, no?

Sept. 67:30 p.m.vs MinnesotaION
Sept. 84:00 p.m.vs Atlanta
Sept. 117:00 p.m.vs Las VegasNBA TV
Sept. 137:30 p.m.vs Las VegasION
Sept. 153:00 p.m.vs Dallas
Sept. 957:00 p.m.at WashingtonPrime Video

It's readily apparent that we need to spend just SOME time in school teaching supply and demand and where money actually comes from and what it represents.

Huge numbers of people simply do not understand the absolute basics of economics. Tangentially that's why we have such a debt problem, both personal and public IMO.

I'm certain most people understand the simple concepts driving this and that the current kerfluffle is purely a social media look at me event that will be gone in a couple of days.
I think it also underscores the weakness of a collective bargaining agreement for "generational talents" like Clark. She should be commanding a higher salary than the standard for a rookie.
Players like her ruin leagues though because she could throw the salary structure out of whack.

Michael Jordan really ruined the NBA.

It's readily apparent that we need to spend just SOME time in school teaching supply and demand and where money actually comes from and what it represents.

Huge numbers of people simply do not understand the absolute basics of economics. Tangentially that's why we have such a debt problem, both personal and public IMO.

I'm certain most people understand the simple concepts driving this and that the current kerfluffle is purely a social media look at me event that will be gone in a couple of days.
I think it also underscores the weakness of a collective bargaining agreement for "generational talents" like Clark. She should be commanding a higher salary than the standard for a rookie.
Players like her ruin leagues though because she could throw the salary structure out of whack.

His salary was low until the very end. Look at the startup leagues of the 70’s and 80’s. They were ruined by big salaries for players who played in empty arenas. Now one thing Clark has going is NBA backing.

Some where Robert Nozick and his Wilt Chamberlain example are nodding approvingly.

His salary was low until the very end. Look at the startup leagues of the 70’s and 80’s. They were ruined by big salaries for players who played in empty arenas. Now one thing Clark has going is NBA backing.

Not sure why it matters when, but the NBA is more popular then ever and the salaries have skyrocketed. Those other leagues didn't fold because of high salaries, they folded because they couldn't compete with what was already established.

The owners could pay the players more. But the league is competing for your entertainment dollar and it comes down to revenue vs cost. It's not an issue of fair/unfair or what do the players 'deserve'.
The league is losing money as it is. Sure they could pay them more but then they would be losing even more money. Not sure that makes sense.
Yes, totally agree. Many people are saying they should get paid more. But the economics don't support it.

Not sure why it matters when, but the NBA is more popular then ever and the salaries have skyrocketed. Those other leagues didn't fold because of high salaries, they folded because they couldn't compete with what was already established.
Because of paying big contracts. This happened in the WHA, ABA, USFL, and WFL.

At least with the WHA and ABA, the ultimate goal of starting the leagues was to eventually merge with the NHL and NBA.

after the women fought tooth and nail for equal pay from US Soccer, and proclaimed massive victory when they got it, they ended up off worse (and potentially SIGNIFICANTLY worse) than when they started financially.
I remember the suit and them winning. Can you explain how they ended up worse off? To be clear, I'm not disagreeing, I'm just unfamiliar with what occurred after.

Note that the US Women lost the suit. Their case was thrown out of court multiple times. The deal that was finally made between US Soccer and the USWNT was settled out of court once the women lost some of their leverage.

There were two key items in play, salary and bonus's:

1) US Soccer was paying the club salaries of the players (something US Soccer did not do for them men as they never could have afforded it). Because US Soccer was paying the club salaries for the women, they paid them less for the time playing for the national team. The money US Soccer was paying the women was actually MORE than what they were paying the men but the women fought because they did not believe the club salaries US Soccer was paying them should be factored in. The courts sided with US Soccer. Once the club salaries were removed (and rightfully returned to the NWSL teams to pay them), US Soccer immediately made the pay for the national teams identical.

2) A big part of the women's case was about the unfairness in the bonus structure for playing in the WC. US Soccer has no say in how FIFA determines the bonus structure for playing in a WC and again the courts agreed with them.

As you might expect, FIFA's bonuses for playing in the men's WC is far bigger than playing in the women's WC. US Soccer simply said there was nothing they could do. The US men's team solved the problem for US Soccer by agreeing with the women to split all bonuses both teams received from the WC equally. Every one was happy but this is where it gets VERY interesting. In a move no one could have predicted given FIFA's general misogynistic stance on women's soccer over the years, FIFA announed they were going to MASSIVELY increase the bonus structure for the Womens WC. You can probably see where this is going, but the further you go in a WC, the higher the bonus's paid by FIFA. It is going to be far more likely for the US Women to go very deep into a WC than then men. What this will now result in is the men actually benefitting from the new bonus split where as it was suppose to have been a coup for the women.
Thanks. Really useful summary of what happened and the ramifications. Way better than the standard ESPN reporting.

This isn't really any different than how collective bargaining is currently affecting guys like CJ Stroud, Caleb Williams, or Jackson Holliday, though, right?

This isn't really any different than how collective bargaining is currently affecting guys like CJ Stroud, Caleb Williams, or Jackson Holliday, though, right?
Nope. Just highlighting something that didn't much occur to me before. It's particularly interesting here as the salary is lower than a starting salary for a college grad in many fields.

Your whole premise was that these generational talents that command huge salaries ruin leagues and it isn't true. The NFL, NBA and other sports are thriving.

The other leagues you mentioned happened before my time or I just didn't watch them, but I bet if anyone researched it those leagues didn't fold just because they paid too much money out.

Oh, I would argue that the USFL folded for many other reasons - go watch "Small Potatoes" if you haven't already and see if you still think high salaries are what sunk it. There's 45 other reasons it sunk.

Oh, I would argue that the USFL folded for many other reasons - go watch "Small Potatoes" if you haven't already and see if you still think high salaries are what sunk it. There's 45 other reasons it sunk.
Or read the book Football for a Buck

Came out just now she’s getting a 8 figure deal with Nike and her own shoe.

I just hope this turns NKE stock around. This thing has been a giant turd recently. Let's go, CC!
Dumped half of mine the other day to rotate into AMD. Got annoyed with it.

Lol.....I almost dumped AMD to accumulate "cheap" NKE stock. Pressed pause there. Hoping a little Caitlin magic sparks a rally, but I'm losing hope.

Nope. Just highlighting something that didn't much occur to me before. It's particularly interesting here as the salary is lower than a starting salary for a college grad in many fields.
It seems low yes but I don’t know a lot of college grads making 76k for half a year of work.

It seems low yes but I don’t know a lot of college grads making 76k for half a year of work.

Right, nobody wants to look at this in totality. First of all, beyond the click-bait feel to this, it is ****ing insulting to a WHOLE lot of people who work 40+ hours a week for a lot less than 76K a year in income. Like..."can you believe how poverty stricken Caitlin Clark is having to play a game for ONLY $76K per year?!?!?!?!?".

Caitlin Clark is going to make over $10 million this year and more going forward. But yes, please point out how poor she is for making a salary a LOT of humans on this rock would kill for. So tone deaf.

Right, nobody wants to look at this in totality. First of all, beyond the click-bait feel to this, it is ****ing insulting to a WHOLE lot of people who work 40+ hours a week for a lot less than 76K a year in income. Like..."can you believe how poverty stricken Caitlin Clark is having to play a game for ONLY $76K per year?!?!?!?!?".

Caitlin Clark is going to make over $10 million this year and more going forward. But yes, please point out how poor she is for making a salary a LOT of humans on this rock would kill for. So tone deaf.
In addition, she doesn't have to play WNBA basketball. She could rely on the college degree from Iowa and get a job in whatever field her degree is in. Nobody is forcing her to take the "terrible" salary or to play in the WNBA.

In addition, she doesn't have to play WNBA basketball. She could rely on the college degree from Iowa and get a job in whatever field her degree is in. Nobody is forcing her to take the "terrible" salary or to play in the WNBA.

Well, the only thing I'm sure of is this: we have to be outraged at something all the time or we aren't doing our duty as humans.

I remember getting my first "real job" for a salary of $30K/yr and celebrating like I had won the lottery. This was 1996. I would have crawled through glass and dirty needles for $76K.

Thank you. could of not said it better than myself

Well, the only thing I'm sure of is this: we have to be outraged at something all the time or we aren't doing our duty as humans.

I remember getting my first "real job" for a salary of $30K/yr and celebrating like I had won the lottery. This was 1996. I would have crawled through glass and dirty needles for $76K.
FWIW, $30k in 1996 is equal to nearly exactly $60k in 2024. You also didn't have an agent or whatever taking 10% of your salary.

While it might be only half a year of work, I'm sure she's putting in more than 40 hours/week in training.

"We in here talking about practice... not a game, not a game. Practice. We talking about practice."
Maybe if you count film study?

5 hours+ of physical activity per day would be counter-productive.

Well damn. If you want to see her play, it's gonna cost you

$615: Minnesota Lynx, July 14
$600: Chicago Sky, June 23
$583: Los Angeles Sparks, May 24
$530: Washington Mystics, June 7 (data pulled before move to Capital One Arena)
$354: Las Vegas Aces, May 25

Also her jerseys are also sold out everywhere, with months-long waits expected for them at the moment. This is kinda nuts

It has a Linsanity feel to it honestly.

Cool story and a lot of buzz, but after a while, the WNBA is going to be the same game it has been for the last several years.

If she can be for the WNBA any semblance of what Tiger was for the PGA, the money will follow. If not, the players will have to get by on other income streams. They exist.

Your whole premise was that these generational talents that command huge salaries ruin leagues and it isn't true. The NFL, NBA and other sports are thriving.

The other leagues you mentioned happened before my time or I just didn't watch them, but I bet if anyone researched it those leagues didn't fold just because they paid too much money out.
You can bet me on those. There is a 30 for 30 on Trump/Hershel Walker and the downfall of the USFL.

Back to Clark, she can play overseas where the salaries are better also. She’s probably going to be the highest paid female athlete this year. Just wait until she gets endorsements from playing in the Olympics.

You can bet me on those. There is a 30 for 30 on Trump/Hershel Walker and the downfall of the USFL.

Back to Clark, she can play overseas where the salaries are better also. She’s probably going to be the highest paid female athlete this year. Just wait until she gets endorsements from playing in the Olympics.

You watched "Small Potatoes" and came away thinking big contracts were the reason the USFL failed? Boy, we watched that doc differently and I've seen it twice. Huh.

Also her jerseys are also sold out everywhere, with months-long waits expected for them at the moment. This is kinda nuts
Kind of exciting to see where this goes.
Not bad looking
Fever jersey

Granted, I get sticker shock at everything nowadays, but I think they’re making a mistake by not making these more affordable.

Also, to be fair, I’m not the target audience because I’m not buying Ant Man’s jersey much less hers.

Not bad looking
Fever jersey

Granted, I get sticker shock at everything nowadays, but I think they’re making a mistake by not making these more affordable.

Also, to be fair, I’m not the target audience because I’m not buying Ant Man’s jersey much less hers.

I'm long past jersey wearing too, but I was curious on price and checked it out - $99 seems about what I'd expect. But what I found puzzling was that the $99 jersey has a giant AT&T logo on it. The jersey right next to it for $89 does NOT have the giant AT&T logo. Why the bloody hell would I pay $10 more for a logo of a company most people loathe? Make that make sense to me.

Not bad looking
Fever jersey

I'm long past jersey wearing too, but I was curious on price and checked it out - $99 seems about what I'd expect. But what I found puzzling was that the $99 jersey has a giant AT&T logo on it. The jersey right next to it for $89 does NOT have the giant AT&T logo. Why the bloody hell would I pay $10 more for a logo of a company most people loathe? Make that make sense to me.
Do the actual team jerseys have the AT&T logo? Maybe it costs more because it's closer to what the players wear.

Came out just now she’s getting a 8 figure deal with Nike and her own shoe.

I just hope this turns NKE stock around. This thing has been a giant turd recently. Let's go, CC!
My first thought was there goes NIKE again throwing money they can't afford to. As a shareholder I hope I'm wrong and it's Jordan2.

They should divorce themselves from Fanatics yesterday.
I'm not real informed on the jersey market, but I have heard nothing but awful things about Fanatics.

Users who are viewing this thread