What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Finley (1 Viewer)

Whether its him maturing...or someone in his ear saying he needs to play for that next contract, Finley seems to have grown up enough to shut his mouth and put in some work.

With the injuries to the WRs...he is in line to have a nice start to the year and can still be had pretty cheap.
Maturity is great but shutting his mouth and being in great shape doesn't automatically translate to catching more passes or being a trusted target. Suppressing his swagger is nice, earning it would be even better...
Well...Rodgers is talking about him again...which is a good thing.

He had a franchise record for TE receptions last season. Seems Rodgers trusts him enough.

We will see if he gets the goal line love now too.

I know "bump Finley" has become amusing phrase, but I feel like people really should be bumping him a little up their redraft rankings. Feels like he's getting overlooked in favour of some pretty speculative fliers at TE. I don't know if the light will ever switch on with him, but there's still plenty of upside here.
61 receptions last year (read somewhere it was a team record for TEs).

His problem is his mouth is ahead of his game...and there are a lot of mouths to feed in GB.

Seems there are chances for a guy like him with the NE TE situation muddled up and Pitta hurt...to move up some rankings.

And he should come decently cheap this year.
Agree that he "bumps" due to attrition but not on opportunity and situation or increased ability.
I would definitely say he should be bumped because of a change in situation/opportunity. Jennings is gone, Jordy and Cobb and both already dealing with injuries.

He had a franchise record for TE receptions last season.
Is that true?!
Sort of like Cutler holding many Bears passing records but yes, I'm cautiously optimistic that Finley will continue playing better.

In the first 9 weeks he had 6 bad fantasy games. In the last 7 weeks he only had one bad fantasy game. His YPC was an unusually low 10.9 for the season.

I would like to see him put up 70/900 this year.

Rotoworld:

Jermichael Finley says he and Aaron Rodgers have developed good chemistry this summer.
"It's starting off pretty good here," Finley said. It showed in Saturday night's preseason win over the Rams. Finley secured four of his five targets and tallied 78 yards, displaying good run-after-the-catch skills. The 26-year-old has reportedly been dominating in training camp practices, finishing "multiple drives with touchdowns in traffic." Both Rodgers and coach Mike McCarthy have openly praised Finely this summer, and he's a real bounce-back candidate.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Cool, still a huge overrated disappointment. I have heard this song and dance before.

I will pass on him and take a chance on a guy with upside.

As a Packers fan, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I won't touch him in fantasy. I've seen too many dropped balls over the past few years to have any faith in him.

Cool, still a huge overrated disappointment. I have heard this song and dance before.

He has no upside?

Interesting.

Caught 61 balls last year, but only 2 TDs. Has shown in the past he has plenty of upside when Rodgers and he are on the same page.

Seems from where he has been...and his value (at least prior to this past game) leaves plenty of room for upside.

As a Packers fan, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I won't touch him in fantasy. I've seen too many dropped balls over the past few years to have any faith in him.
Feel the same about being cautiously optimistic.

At his value...if I don't pay the price for Graham or take the risk on one of the others...I won't stay away from a guy at the right value.

Seems his ADP looks hard to pass up.

He has no upside?

Interesting.

Caught 61 balls last year, but only 2 TDs. Has shown in the past he has plenty of upside when Rodgers and he are on the same page.

Seems from where he has been...and his value (at least prior to this past game) leaves plenty of room for upside.
agreed...

I don't fault you for passing on him, but upside he does have.
Nah, we know what he is. Every year he is hyped, every year he disappoints.

Upside is something he does not have, we know what he is.
he has upside...no doubt about that. if for no other reason than he caught 60 balls and 2 TD's last year, similar target #'s this year should result in more fantasy points.

I don't fault you for passing on him, but upside he does have.
Nah, we know what he is. Every year he is hyped, every year he disappoints.

Upside is something he does not have, we know what he is.
he has upside...no doubt about that. if for no other reason than he caught 60 balls and 2 TD's last year, similar target #'s this year should result in more fantasy points.
I don't know how anyone can say Finley doesn't have upside.... his upside is huge if/when he puts it together. Any given game he can erupt for 3 TDs like he did to the Bears a couple years ago. He's top 5 for athleticism vs size for the tight end position and has the best QB in the NFL throwing to him. Stupid to say he doesn't have upside.

Jermichael Finley having 'clear cut' best Packers' camp

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Jermichael Finley preseason hype isn't new. But the drumbeat is louder than usual this year, and it's not coming from the Green Bay Packers' talented tight end this time around.

"He's having his finest training camp, I think it's clear cut," coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday.

"It's not just this camp, the whole spring," offensive coordinator Tom Clements echoed, "via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. He's been outstanding. He's been working hard. I think he's improved his blocking tremendously. He's become a more detailed route runner. He's finishing plays."

We're only a few years removed from Finley saying he would "change the tight end position" if he could stay healthy. Two disappointing years followed. This season, Finley has let his play in camp do the talking for him. Aaron Rodgers credited Finley's "unbelievable" fitness. Finley has bulked up in order to improve his blocking and caught four passes for 78 yards in last week's preseason game against the St. Louis Rams.

"We're asking him to do the dirty work again that he wasn't asked to do as much the last two years and I think he's doing a good job of it," McCarthy said.

Wide receivers Greg Jennings and Donald Driver are long gone. Jordy Nelson is coming off surgery. This is setting up as a big season for Finley, just in time to hit free agency.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Green Bay TE Jeremichael Finley was mentioned in the latest On the Couch by Lance Zerlien.

Lance thinks the addition of RB Eddie Lacy is a negative for Finley. I strongly disagree.

When a team lacks a running back who can handle the load it frees up safeties who would have to move-up into the box, and when a team has a RB who can handle the load it creates single coverage for the TE. That isn't debatable.

Zerlien's argument was Lacy would steal catches and would vulcher goal line TDs.

If Finley's single coverage opportunities increase his targets and catches will increase so any potential that Lacy brings to the passing game would likely take-away from third/fourth wideouts on the Pack roster, not front-line WRs or the top pass catching TE Jeremichael Finley.

The point about Lacy vulchering goal line TDs would hurt but Finley tends to be a red-zone threat from further out from the goal line, in the 10 to 20 yard portion of the red zone. Having a back who is a legit scoring threat will not allow teams to cheat and will open up quick-hitting play-action closer to the goal line.

Here is the link to the latest 'On the Couch'.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/podcast/

Aug 21 2013
2013 Volume#116a - On The Couch 8.21.2013 (#1912)
In This Episode: Sigmund Bloom and Lance Zierlein (The Sideline View) discuss fantasy football and the NFL. Topics Include - When to take Arian Foster, whether Julius Thomas and Zach Sudfeld are worth taking in the late rounds, Michael Vick prospects in Philadelphia, Danny Amendola potential this year, what to make of the Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller position battle, plus more!

I reallly am tired of this thread title, little surprised there isn't another newer thread....

Anyway, are we feeling better about Finley now?

Glowing reports from camp, trouble in the WR corps.... and he still has drops like vs Sea?

Yea or nay?

This time it's for real, or won't get fooled again?

The whole WR corps has drops...going to not draft Nelson or Cobb too?

ITs what you get with Finley...there will be frustrating drops.

Rotoworld:

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Jermichael Finley looks like "a go-to guy" in the Packers' 2013 offense.

"The tight end looks better than last year," the scout said. "He's healthy, for one thing. He seems like a go-to guy this year where last year he kind of disappeared. He's just a difficult matchup." All true, but Finley still needs to play better than he did Friday night against Seattle. He only secured 2-of-6 targets with one bad drop and a missed four-yard touchdown chance.

Aug 24 - 10:01 AM

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Just took Finley last night for the first time in a long time. Once the top few TEs came off the board I decided to make the leap. Here's hoping he can turn it around a bit.

Finley should be a steal this year IF McCarthy does step up the use of the run game and then use the middle of the field. Preseason he has been using more crossing routes and slants that are tought to defend the talent throwing the ball and guys running the patterns.

I've found in mocks the choice btwn Finley and Gates. Leaning towards Finley but what say you?

Gates by virtue of the talent around him should get more targets. C

So now what to do with this cat? He's got turf toe, but is roughing it out and practicing and suiting up for what Should be an a+ matchup vs a Washington defense that can't cover the TE to save their lives.

Do we trust Finley in the te or flex spot with this injury?

So now what to do with this cat? He's got turf toe, but is roughing it out and practicing and suiting up for what Should be an a+ matchup vs a Washington defense that can't cover the TE to save their lives.

Celek had 2 or 3 catches. How is that "cant cover TE to save their lives"? If anything Wash has rookies CBs which means Rodgers will look for the WRs all day

Celek had 2 or 3 catches. How is that "cant cover TE to save their lives"? If anything Wash has rookies CBs which means Rodgers will look for the WRs all day
Last season Washington was bottom of the barrel in covering the tight end, and if I am not mistaken didn't Celek have 50-something yards and a td? That's pretty good te production from a not so talented te.

From what ive read Washington hasn't done anything material with their defensive personnel that would improve their te coverage from last year and week 1 prove that.

Finley is way more talented than Celek. I had no doubt that arodg will use his full arsenal of weapons vs Washington. If Finley didn't have this toe thing it would be a no brainer to throw him into my te or flex spot.

Just wondering how effective he'll be and if hell be able to push off that toe tomorrow.

Last season Washington was bottom of the barrel in covering the tight end, and if I am not mistaken didn't Celek have 50-something yards and a td? That's pretty good te production from a not so talented te.

From what ive read Washington hasn't done anything material with their defensive personnel that would improve their te coverage from last year and week 1 prove that.

Finley is way more talented than Celek. I had no doubt that arodg will use his full arsenal of weapons vs Washington. If Finley didn't have this toe thing it would be a no brainer to throw him into my te or flex spot.

Just wondering how effective he'll be and if hell be able to push off that toe tomorrow.
As someone who heavily targeted Finley this year (no negative bias towards him) I don't get where people come off talking about how talented he is. I drafted him for his situation, not talent. He's not that fast or explosive, his hands have been below average, has average size for a TE, and as far as I can tell his routes are average. You put him on Philly and he probably does about as well as Celek.

However, he plays on a team with the best passing QB in the league and will likely get a decent chunk of a 40-45 TD pie. When Rodgers kept talking about Finley this offseason I knew I had to have him, but it had nothing to do with talent.

Just sat him in a PPR for Rudolph. Hate having to rely on Rudolph but don't want to get burned by Finley just being a decoy or taking himself after 1/2 the game.

I cant imagine this toe thing being a big deal today.

Between the drugs they're going to pump him up with and adrenaline, he should be fine.

Is anyone sitting him today due to his toe injury?
Yep. There are fears he might not finish the game. He's in some pain, and that affects his cuts and route running. I think he'll be nothing but a decoy and the Packers will get ahead quickly and sit him with a big lead. Poor planning on my TE2, but I'm going with Houston's 2nd TE Garret Graham. Can't risk a zero from Finley. I hope they just sit him and he gets to heal up.

I just benched him in my flex for hartline...not happy about it but I don't think i want to risk the injury thing...plus the weather....who knows...I hope he still plays well though. GL to all

6 receptions on 7 targets for 65 yards and a TD.

I'll take that every week from my TE spot. Hopefully Rodgers keeps going to him in the redzone.

Timmay said:
6 receptions on 7 targets for 65 yards and a TD.

I'll take that every week from my TE spot. Hopefully Rodgers keeps going to him in the redzone.
Packer homer and he will. Rodgers loves Finley despite all the media crap that has surfaced. When he's on, he's a matchup nightmare in the RZ. Rodgers also appears to be dialed in already....so enjoy.

Just my 2 cents...

Toe seems to be a small issue as he did leave the field for a little bit again yesterday.

Have to ride this out as long as you can for the value you got for him...but make sure you are ready with another option if his toe causes him to miss any time.

Toe seems to be a small issue as he did leave the field for a little bit again yesterday.

Have to ride this out as long as you can for the value you got for him...but make sure you are ready with another option if his toe causes him to miss any time.
He left the field for cramps yesterday... not toe related.

Users who are viewing this thread