What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos RB. (1 Viewer)

Latest about Ball from RW:

The Denver Post says the Broncos never thought Montee Ball "would be hitting his stride until the Week 5-8 range."

Through two games, Ball has rushed 20 times for just 40 yards (2.0 YPC) and lost a fumble in the red-zone. Meanwhile, Knowshon Moreno has seized the feature back job with superior reliability and a 22/121/2 line. We still wouldn't completely give up on Ball. Moreno's burst is sapped despite his gaudy 5.5 YPC, meaning he's not a lock to dominate this committee all year.
This seems in line with Montee getting 12 carries to Moreno's 14 in week 2. Still worth stashing or at least watching.

The Denver Post says the Broncos never thought Montee Ball "would be hitting his stride until the Week 5-8 range."

Through two games, Ball has rushed 20 times for just 40 yards (2.0 YPC) and lost a fumble in the red-zone. Meanwhile, Knowshon Moreno has seized the feature back job with superior reliability and a 22/121/2 line. We still wouldn't completely give up on Ball. Moreno's burst is sapped despite his gaudy 5.5 YPC, meaning he's not a lock to dominate this committee all year.
This seems in line with Montee getting 12 carries to Moreno's 14 in week 2. Still worth stashing or at least watching.
just 2 years ago mcgahee was everybody's hot sleeper pick because of the situation, and he was the one keeping all these guys on the bench -- where's that guy at today?

I'm sure they'd love to have adrian peterson over there, but that's not their priority, and if deangelo williams can't take a job away from deshaun foster with jake delhomme to protect, I don't see any reason ball has any more success trying to keep up with manning's offense on fox's team.

i'll believe it when I see it

Both games have been the same way so far. Moreno in there when it matters, then when it's garbage time or Moreno needs a breather they put in Montee. That's your trend.

just 2 years ago mcgahee was everybody's hot sleeper pick because of the situation, and he was the one keeping all these guys on the bench -- where's that guy at today?
CLE as the starter....

Where is Cecil? I wanna hear some more about how much he is in the locker room and at the facility. Oh, and about how much power Hillman has. That was my favorite. Same injury that weakened him in the playoffs seems to be lingering this year...
Jealous? Turn down the tool factor here. If you want a reasonable discussion then I'm all for that. If you want to throw out insults then take it somewhere else. Most of my Broncos coverage can be found in two places:

http://denverssportsstation.com/cecillammey

http://bleacherreport.com/users/2329731-cecil-lammey

I'm here. I've been here the whole time, when I'm not out at the facility, talking to the coaches, and chatting with players in the locker room.
Calls me jealous and then tells me to turn down the tool factor. :lol:

With these predictions, maybe you should spend a little more time talking with coaches and players. I'm just saying...

This is the week we see an increase for Ball, right? I mean, Denver is going to be hanging out in the redzone all day and should be up 4 touchdowns at home vs Raiders in by halftime, so Peyton can just hand the ball off to Ball to see what the young gun is about. Right?

If he gets 12 carries for 32 yards he might be on the bus to Dumpsville for me.

Where is Cecil? I wanna hear some more about how much he is in the locker room and at the facility. Oh, and about how much power Hillman has. That was my favorite. Same injury that weakened him in the playoffs seems to be lingering this year...
Jealous? Turn down the tool factor here. If you want a reasonable discussion then I'm all for that. If you want to throw out insults then take it somewhere else. Most of my Broncos coverage can be found in two places:

I'm here. I've been here the whole time, when I'm not out at the facility, talking to the coaches, and chatting with players in the locker room.
Calls me jealous and then tells me to turn down the tool factor. :lol:

With these predictions, maybe you should spend a little more time talking with coaches and players. I'm just saying...
Cec is right, you are quite a tool.

This is the week we see an increase for Ball, right? I mean, Denver is going to be hanging out in the redzone all day and should be up 4 touchdowns at home vs Raiders in by halftime, so Peyton can just hand the ball off to Ball to see what the young gun is about. Right?

I would agree that this appears to be setting up as the type of week where the Broncos have the game in hand and will give the backup Rbs some extra run.

The one warning I would toss out other than the obvious (should the Raiders somehow manage to hang in there), is to watch for the activation of CJ Anderson. Should he somehow, someway become active in this game, they might give him the garbage run.

The Raiders defense is not horrible - Oakland may make it interesting.

I have to wonder, if the Broncos are up by a lot in the second half, do they take the foot off the pedal? Peyton is a stat whore. Would it surprise anyone if the Broncos are passing even if up by a mile?

I have to wonder, if the Broncos are up by a lot in the second half, do they take the foot off the pedal? Peyton is a stat whore. Would it surprise anyone if the Broncos are passing even if up by a mile?
IMO, foot comes off the pedal with 4:00 left in the game.

IMO, foot comes off the pedal with 4:00 left in the game.
So if they are up by a ton like Seattle was against Jax in the middle of the third, you don't see them sending in Oswiler and the 2nd stringers?

I don't see it. I see Peyton getting every yard he can to add to his legacy.

It'll be interesting to me if it's not over by halftime (I'm going to this game). It is a divisional game, so you never know for sure, but if the Broncos are up by 21 Oakland is going to have to throw it... not their strength. I agree that some RB's will get time in the 4th. Might be Ball, but probably won't be Moreno, as he's the most valuable back they have. PFM should be able to pad his stats and come up huge.

It'll be interesting to me if it's not over by halftime (I'm going to this game). It is a divisional game, so you never know for sure, but if the Broncos are up by 21 Oakland is going to have to throw it... not their strength. I agree that some RB's will get time in the 4th. Might be Ball, but probably won't be Moreno, as he's the most valuable back they have. PFM should be able to pad his stats and come up huge.
If PFM tries to pad his stats with the game well in hand, I could see the Raiders going Jeff Gillooly on his leg.

The Fanatic is dead wrong. As someone who has owned Peyton in FF for several years, I can't begin to count how many times I've wanted Peyton to keep piling on the stats for my FF teams. The Colts or Broncos would have a medium-sized or big lead and Peyton would keep handing the ball off to Edgerrin James or Dominic Rhodes or Joseph Addai or Donald Brown or Willis McGahee or Knowshon Moreno or ... you get the point.

Denver RBs will get their chance in this game if the Broncos get a comfortable lead, which I'm not taking for granted will happen.

With 2 minutes left:

Moreno: 12 carries for 39 yds and 1 reception for 6 yds

Ball: 11 carries for 59 yds and a fumble.

Hillman: 9 carries for 66 yds and 1 reception for 12 yds. Also has the TD which he ran from the 1 yd line (goal line carry)

It's still a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so incredibly stupid. I give up trying to figure it out as its a true RBBC. I was trying to justify it as its just the Raiders and this isn't normal but Welker and Decker are still running routes. Damn. I thought we had something there with Moreno. I cut Hillman last week.

Cecil, you should probably take your own advice here regarding the tool factor. I don't know if you're trying to come off as a big shot but the top dogs in the business aren't posting here. My honest opinion after reading your Bronco related material is that it's more slanted towards being a good read or listen than useful ff info. Guys who haven't stepped foot in CO and who don't spend their time jock sniffing have had a better read on most of the Broncos ff situations. That's not a knock at all because if you can't entertain you won't make it big in your business. I've found you to be very entertaining most of the time and that probably plays well to the locals. Hopefully it will help you with your career.

The broncos know they have a couple inexperienced backs. Of course they want to see what they can do and/or develop their skills. If someone could challenge them to a close game, u might see Moreno be a rb1. If I owned any of these backs, which I don't because I saw the cluster$$$$ coming, it would be Moreno and I'd try to only start him in what I think would be close games.

Seems to not be a popular opinion here, but I think Hillman looks like the best upside back in this offense.

I hope Moreno's not in the doghouse. He's still their best RB in a competitive game.
best pass blocking RB. Hillman is their best running back. Ball keeps putting it on the ground. If you want to start 1/3 of a RB each week, pick any one of these guys.

Cecil, you should probably take your own advice here regarding the tool factor. I don't know if you're trying to come off as a big shot but the top dogs in the business aren't posting here. My honest opinion after reading your Bronco related material is that it's more slanted towards being a good read or listen than useful ff info. Guys who haven't stepped foot in CO and who don't spend their time jock sniffing have had a better read on most of the Broncos ff situations. That's not a knock at all because if you can't entertain you won't make it big in your business. I've found you to be very entertaining most of the time and that probably plays well to the locals. Hopefully it will help you with your career.
not just being a homer, but these threads become incredibly tedious when we start calling people out every time somebody makes a questionable call (no doubt fanatic and you have made bad calls, and wouldn't appreciate being called out each time)... i come to these threads for information, not personal shot taking.

and i would say that if you were called out to...

cecil has made good calls, like julius thomas in dynasty, peyton manning's arm was looking good in camp in 2012, welker would impact decker but not thomas, etc...

does he get credit for good calls, or only criticized according to whim... nobody here boasts 100% accuracy...

cec called ball probably not ready for prime time (paraphrasing)... he was right about hillman being ahead on depth chart as the start of the season neared, than he fumbled a few times... was he remiss to not know that hillman was going to fumble a few times... google it and see if anybody predicted hillman would fumble a few times impacting his role in regular season... :)

we should be talking about the players, than in a few steps we are talking about what somebody said about what somebody said about what somebody said.

Don't know what to make of this. Wonder if Moreno got nicked. Though I do think giving Hillman and Ball action is smart on their part (even though I'm a Moreno owner). In obvious running situations these guys are better backs. But in tight games no way. Forget the fumbles. Manning had to constantly direct Hillman and move him to the correct spot. He doesn't have pass protection with audibles down yet. But Moreno is gonna be hard to predict. Thought he would be a consistent double digit guy. At home vs.Oakland - shoulda happened.

Starting to think Moreno is a decent bye-week WR3 and nothing more. The fact we saw Hillman in at the goalline, ehh. As someone who started Moreno that doesn't make me too happy.

I'm going to see what I can get out of him, because I have guys on the bench that matched what Moreno put up today. I'd rather have Cordarelle Patterson who might rattle off a Kick Return or at least a few receptions (PPR) in my flex.

What are people getting for Moreno? This obviously dampers his prospect, Manning was having way too much fun throwing the ball.

Starting to think Moreno is a decent bye-week WR3 and nothing more. The fact we saw Hillman in at the goalline, ehh. As someone who started Moreno that doesn't make me too happy.

I'm going to see what I can get out of him, because I have guys on the bench that matched what Moreno put up today. I'd rather have Cordarelle Patterson who might rattle off a Kick Return or at least a few receptions (PPR) in my flex.

What are people getting for Moreno? This obviously dampers his prospect, Manning was having way too much fun throwing the ball.
I just got James Jones for him, but the guy I traded has a lot of injuries at RB.

Broncos ran this like a preseason game. Spread it around, take a look at what you got against a ####ty opponent. They were running out various depth WRs and screwing around with random 3 TE sets too. I'm not sure you can take much of anything away from this game about anyone (other than Montee needing to hang on to the damn ball)

Can't believe so much time has been spent analysing this mess of a situation, which was clearly going to be a full on RBBC. The idea that some kind of lead back was ever going to emerge was just silly...and now people are still interested in rostering CJ Anderson LOL!

I saw Hillman heavily involved. The guy can spring plays with his speed and looks to have bulked up a smidge, too. Pretty much, the Wide Receivers spread the defense out in the Red Zone and Hillman will be able to use his quick acceleration to dot it in.

Going to try to trade Moreno straight up for Hillman.

ball's fumble was unfortunate, because it was easily his best game (11-61 for a 5.5 YPC average, long run of 12 yards).

same with hillman (9-66-1 for a 7.3 YPC average, long run of 19 yards).

moreno was 12-39 for a 3.3 YPC average).

some are saying it is hopeless and fultile to hope for a RB emerging from the three headed monster, but there have been reports that DEN didn't expect ball to his his stride until closer to mid-season... moreno had the big game week two, but maybe he is the kind of back that needs plays blocked perfectly and some luck to have a viable game... ball and hillman created yards on their own...

they were within 1-2-3 carries of each other, but hillman and ball were more efficient and productive with their carries... if that continues, perhaps there will be a shift from three to two backs getting most of the work (with moreno gradually marginalized as they take the training wheels off the youngsters)...

and from there, if one of the backs gains some traction/separation, it isn't inconceivable that one could emerge before it is too late for redraft purposes...

I wouldn't read too much into Hillman getting the goal line carry... he, Ball & Moreno did paper, scissors, rock for the carry and Hillman won.

I kid you not, I just saw it on Sportscenter.

expected they might play Ball in a blowout

didn't expect so much Hillman or that Hillman and Ball would look pretty good running the ball.

game situations might have been different, but that ypc is going to put a lot of pressure on Fox and the coaches to not play Moreno so much.

Moreno very workmanlike - knew his assignments, the plays , protected the ball. The other guys created space, but didn't do the other stuff as well,

Why is Cecil getting flack?

I thought he nailed this situation this summer. He had it marked as avoid and a big old unpredictable mess of a RBBC in a good pass 1st offense. So far that is exactly what we have seen.

Hillman does look the most explosive which he was right about - this offense just doesn't really need explosive from their RB.

:rolleyes: Are you sure you watched the game? Hillman had four touches in the first half to Moreno's 10 (plus a target). Moreno Only had 3 touches early in the third quarter before he took the rest of the night off. The intent from the coaches is pretty clear here.

I wouldn't read too much into Hillman getting the goal line carry... he, Ball & Moreno did paper, scissors, rock for the carry and Hillman won.

I kid you not, I just saw it on Sportscenter.
You really weren't kidding: http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Rock-Paper-Scissors-Touchdown/060a7281-352f-4eb6-82b2-83a1ce3911c1
Hillman is clearly the guy to own as he is the much smarter RPS player.

Scissors, Montee + Knowshown, really?

Users who are viewing this thread