What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

MCguidance said:
Is he that Sproles-like? I think he's got that size element but is not as shifty (not saying he's not shifty at all, but in comparison, he's less so). He also has more power and can run inside a bit more. So it seems like a good fit for this offense. I imagine he might be able to fill a 3 down back role since he's bulkier.
I haven't really compared him to Sproles and I'm not sure how accurate the comparison is. I know everyone thinks Sproles because he's short and used to play in SD, but I really look at him more like an MJD type. Sproles has gamebreaker speed if he gets the ball in space....that's his bread-and-butter. Bo is a bowling ball who runs very low between the tackles and has a knack for delivering some punishment...just a tough, hard-working player who's tough to bring down. We saw what can happen if he gets in space this past week...he can take it for big gains but rarely is he going to run away from defenders. He didn't routinely break off monster touchdown runs against even MAC opposition...at least not at the clip I'd personally expect for a guy to be considered a big-play threat at the NFL level. He was always a rock-solid, workhorse guy though. 30 carries? No problem. Capable of playing every down at the NFL level, IMO....if he gets the opportunity.
Are you talking about MJD now or a several years ago? MJD had gamebreaking speed before injuries to his lower body took its toll. He ran a 4.39 40 at the combine (compared to Sproles' 4.47 and Oliver's 4.62) and has had several TD runs/receptions of more than 60 yards.

I picked him up last week and might go all-in with him as my flex. I currently have Bell/Gio as RB/Flex. I'm getting people asking about Oliver, but I'd just as soon trade Gio to upgrade a major position and roll with Oliver as flex. Wouldn't mind seeing one more week before pulling the trigger on that move though.
You're gonna trade one of the handful of legit feature backs that is actually performing well this year, for an unproven guy who is leading the 32nd ranked rushing attack? Good luck with that one, boss.
That's how the sharks evolve wings and become Hawks.

Sometimes it's takes a gamble in this gambling game. Those hunches sometimes pan out big and set you up for the long term. I remember a few people who rolled dice with Foster or bought Dez at the right time and used their depth to get better elsewhere.

MCguidance said:
Is he that Sproles-like? I think he's got that size element but is not as shifty (not saying he's not shifty at all, but in comparison, he's less so). He also has more power and can run inside a bit more. So it seems like a good fit for this offense. I imagine he might be able to fill a 3 down back role since he's bulkier.
I haven't really compared him to Sproles and I'm not sure how accurate the comparison is. I know everyone thinks Sproles because he's short and used to play in SD, but I really look at him more like an MJD type. Sproles has gamebreaker speed if he gets the ball in space....that's his bread-and-butter. Bo is a bowling ball who runs very low between the tackles and has a knack for delivering some punishment...just a tough, hard-working player who's tough to bring down. We saw what can happen if he gets in space this past week...he can take it for big gains but rarely is he going to run away from defenders. He didn't routinely break off monster touchdown runs against even MAC opposition...at least not at the clip I'd personally expect for a guy to be considered a big-play threat at the NFL level. He was always a rock-solid, workhorse guy though. 30 carries? No problem. Capable of playing every down at the NFL level, IMO....if he gets the opportunity.
Yeah, MJD without the speed but with a Slight bit more lateral wiggle is how I think of him.

its getting a bit silly in here.
Looks like the FAAB 2nd place guys are funneling in.. LOL JK.

Is it being laid on a little thick? Maybe..But maybe not because this is what FF is: Speculation and payoff and keep in mind a lot of us in here are dynasty guys so we aren't necessarily just thinking about the Raiders this week. We are looking at a rookie Rb with the incumbent on the final year of a contract who tends to get injured a lot.

That's part of why we are trending BO so much.

"Well that's one more answer then he would have gotten over there....but I agree."

I agree with this. The AC is practical for more complex roster questions, but I think if you're just asking about where a guy ranks in the minds of the community, it makes as much sense to talk about it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he a must start this week?
Yes. Even though I don't think Oakland will be the patsy they usually are, since bad teams often play better that first week or two after an in-season head coaching change (I think Sporano will have them ready to play), but it's still too good a match-up to miss out on.

I picked him up last week and might go all-in with him as my flex. I currently have Bell/Gio as RB/Flex. I'm getting people asking about Oliver, but I'd just as soon trade Gio to upgrade a major position and roll with Oliver as flex. Wouldn't mind seeing one more week before pulling the trigger on that move though.
You're gonna trade one of the handful of legit feature backs that is actually performing well this year, for an unproven guy who is leading the 32nd ranked rushing attack? Good luck with that one, boss.
That's how the sharks evolve wings and become Hawks.

Sometimes it's takes a gamble in this gambling game. Those hunches sometimes pan out big and set you up for the long term. I remember a few people who rolled dice with Foster or bought Dez at the right time and used their depth to get better elsewhere.
Yeah, not sure Phenom's beef. You gotta give to get. I can probably get Graham for Gio, or a top QB. I'd much rather have that production at another position and sacrifice Gio in the flex spot for Bo and whatever else I can throw in there. Having a "legit feature back" in my flex has been good for 2-3.

Let's not get too excited about Oliver for the rest of the season though? When Ryan Mathews and Donald Brown comes back in couple weeks, SD will go full on RBBC mode no?.

I believe the assumption is after Mathews comes back Oliver takes over the woodhead role. Keeping him at least flex-valuable

Exactly. Oliver will be lucky to get 40% of the snaps when Mathews returns. Oliver should be able to pass Brown on the depth chart and send Brown to the bench. I was a Brown owner for a bit this season. He really disappointed.

MCguidance said:
Are you talking about MJD now or a several years ago? MJD had gamebreaking speed before injuries to his lower body took its toll. He ran a 4.39 40 at the combine (compared to Sproles' 4.47 and Oliver's 4.62) and has had several TD runs/receptions of more than 60 yards.
Somewhere in between. Obviously he doesn't have the breakaway speed MJD had, otherwise he surely wouldn't have gone undrafted. I just meant more along lines of playing style. When I watch him play, I see a lot more MJD than I do Sproles. Just my opinion as someone who's seen him play a lot over the years.

Exactly. Oliver will be lucky to get 40% of the snaps when Mathews returns.
I think the big question is do the Chargers change Mathews' role when he returns? They stopped using him in the passing game for all intents and purposes with Woodhead on the roster. But now with Woodhead gone do they give Mathews more of a shot on third downs and passing situations? Mathews has shown in the past he can be a good receiving RB (59 receptions in 2011 and 57 in 2012) so they could elect to give him a bigger role there than they had been doing with a healthy Woodhead.

If the Chargers keep Mathews in his role as essentially the "Between the 20s" guy then there's clearly a huge opportunity for Oliver if he continues to play well. Of course if he continues to play well and handle things in the passing game he could answer these questions himself.

If the Chargers keep Mathews in his role as essentially the "Between the 20s" guy then there's clearly a huge opportunity for Oliver if he continues to play well. Of course if he continues to play well and handle things in the passing game he could answer these questions himself.
i don't think that's been his role this season. in his first two games, he had nearly all the red zone rushes. i think he outpaced woodhead 5 to 2. and donald brown didn't have any redzone carries.

Somebody in my auction league dropped Shady McCoy to free up cap room to bid on Oliver. And he doesn't really have to worry about someone else picking McCoy up cheap, because dropped players in this league KEEP THEIR SALARY as the minimum bid for anyone to pick them up. So McCoy is on the wire with a $100 minimum bid and will likely sit there the rest of the season unless he goes completely bonkers.

I hate that rule.

I'm also pissed that I didn't pull the trigger on Oliver a couple of weeks ago, especially since I have Matthews. But I had Forsett and Knile Davis putting up some points so I decided to wait. :wall:

Last year was the first year Mathews played 16 games. So odds are better than good that he'll get hurt again.

Donald Brown is toast. He is flat-out terrible!
I sniff a scenario where, if Oliver looks good this week and Matthews stays on course to return in a couple of weeks, that Donald Brown just might get IR'd (concussion) and put on the shelf.
Not after they lost Matthews in the playoff run last year. That's specifically why they brought in Brown. Balance is crucial to their offense but that is also why BO offers value beyond the time frame Matthews is out. He has the skill set to fill the Woodhead role or continue to have a larger volume.

Bids in my money league:

50%

26%

21%

16%

15%

7%

1%

Just heard from a friend who bid 50% and didn't get him.

EDIT: His 50% bid lost to a 51% bid. Damn.

I am trying to figure out how good this kid might be. My RB situation is a mash unit + did zero RB strategy. I am able to get megatron, but damn my RB's are bad. I truely feel like he is the waiver darling of the year.

this kid did something special against the number one run defense. I think he'll be fantasy relevant but not too crazy after the next two weeks.

this kid did something special against the number one run defense. I think he'll be fantasy relevant but not too crazy after the next two weeks.
Who cares? Getting someone for free for up to 80% of FAAB or a blown #1 waiver priority to help win two games if you're RB challenged is easily worth it.

The best things he has going or him have nothing to do with what happens on the field imo. He was picked up by this regime. They want him to succeed. They want to look like geniuses. They want to either justify letting Mathews go, or give themselves leverage in negotiations in the offseason.

If they can find a way to make him the guy, it will help their wallet and their egos. I think they'll take their time getting Mathews back on the field (under the guise of wanting him to be 100 percent) and we'll see a pretty even timeshare past that.

Assuming he plays well, of course. That part on the field still matters.

Good point,

I had him 16th in my pre draft process. Came away very impressed when watching cut-ups over at Draft Breakdown. Powerful for his size, low center of gravity and a very feisty runner.

First, I want to give props to EBF. He takes a lot of abuse for his stances and a lot of people poke fun at the BMI numbers, but he went out on a limb on someone nobody had even heard of (you get the point) and while this guy may be a one week wonder, he looks to be a guy who can play in this league. While his without pads numbers are not great, he is one of those guys that doesn't seem to lose any speed with pads on (still don't know why they don't run combines with standard equipment on?) and showed very good quickness along with power and "shiftiness." I was not able to get a take on his vision yet, but he did setup blocks pretty well against the Jets. Not sure how fantasy relevant he will be, but he will be able to be effective in the NFL IMO.

First, I want to give props to EBF. He takes a lot of abuse for his stances and a lot of people poke fun at the BMI numbers, but he went out on a limb on someone nobody had even heard of (you get the point) and while this guy may be a one week wonder, he looks to be a guy who can play in this league. While his without pads numbers are not great, he is one of those guys that doesn't seem to lose any speed with pads on (still don't know why they don't run combines with standard equipment on?) and showed very good quickness along with power and "shiftiness." I was not able to get a take on his vision yet, but he did setup blocks pretty well against the Jets. Not sure how fantasy relevant he will be, but he will be able to be effective in the NFL IMO.
This may help you see how his vision is.

http://www.fakepigskin.com/2014/10/09/fantasy-football-chalk-talk-bolts-rb-branden-oliver/

I interviewed Oliver way back in February, really liked his skill set back then. I am a bit bias towards small RB btw.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

I think there's a good chance Oliver remains the number 1 RB on SD even after Mathews comes back. They'll split carries, obviously, but anyone who gets any PPR points (I do) will probably rather have Oliver unless Mathews really dominates the goal line looks.

This may help you see how his vision is.

http://www.fakepigskin.com/2014/10/09/fantasy-football-chalk-talk-bolts-rb-branden-oliver/

I interviewed Oliver way back in February, really liked his skill set back then. I am a bit bias towards small RB btw.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.
Great stuff Eric! Love that he doesn't give the defender much to hit or wrap up and the patience up the middle was good to see as many backs will bounce that. Also he had enough burst to beat (I think it was the safety) to get into the EZ

Well, for a guy who had LeSean McCoy #1 RB and Chris Johnson #2, I went for it this week. Traded for Andre Williams and spent huge FAAB to get Oliver. 5-0, hoping these guys can get me a couple more wins and secure a playoff spot early. By the way, right now McCoy is on my bench this week.

Well, for a guy who had LeSean McCoy #1 RB and Chris Johnson #2, I went for it this week. Traded for Andre Williams and spent huge FAAB to get Oliver. 5-0, hoping these guys can get me a couple more wins and secure a playoff spot early. By the way, right now McCoy is on my bench this week.
Agree on the strategy. People wondered why I blew a lot of FAAB in a league where I was pretty good at RB and 5-0. You can never have too many good RBs. I want to pancake people with Oliver's easy schedule and waltz to a playoff spot after starting 7-1/8-0. I'm benching Joique, Ivory, and Sproles in various leagues to start him.

Users who are viewing this thread