What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

The open field cuts are great. The thing that stuck out to me that is different than Sproles is Oliver's physicality. I think he had like 26 reps on the bench. On the EBF video he dealt out punishment. He also caught all four of his targets, so if he can catch and be a grinder, what does that make him? I don't think he should just be a sproles/woodhead guy, he can do more. I'm sure the perfect storm he had, had a lot to do with the breakout game, but how much does that honestly take away from his talent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was likely the best game Oliver will ever have (2 TDs, 2 50+ yard plays). The Jets defense was gassed due to the heat (well over 100 on the field) and the Chargers' time of possession, plus multiple in game injuries on defense.

I expect when Mathews returns, he will assume the lead back role and Oliver will assume the Woodhead role. (And Brown will resume his minimal role.)
I think we already saw what he could do in the Woodhead role today. When Matthews gets back I don't see much difference. Granted I'm looking at Oliver as a flex play and no more. And agree this was likely his best game but for a ww pickup his ceiling is enticing and excitable.

It will be his best game, but he looked really good. When Mathews gets back, he'll have the Woodhead+ role, which is a pretty nice PPR floor with the potential for more if Mathews gets dinged again. Brown should fade into the background but you never know with these coaches. Tough to put the genie back in the bottle though after what we saw today.

Of course I don't pull the trigger on this guy. I hate short benches. Luckily I have the top WW spot in my other league. Thankfully didn't waste it on Forsett.

The open field cuts are great. The thing that stuck out to me that is different than Sproles is Oliver's physicality. I think he had like 26 reps on the bench. On the EBF video he dealt out punishment. He also caught all four of his targets, so if he can catch and be a grinder, what does that make him? I don't think he should just be a sproles/woodhead guy, he can do more. I'm sure the perfect storm he had, had a lot to do with the breakout game, but how much does that honestly take away from his talent?
Sproles was 5'6 1/8" and 187 pounds at the combine. Oliver was 5'6 1/2" and 208 pounds at his pro day. Twenty pounds at almost the same height is a massive difference. The closest thing to him physically in the NFL is MJD, who was 5'6 3/4" 207 pounds at the combine. Oliver may be slightly more top-heavy than MJD, but they have almost identical height/weight measurables. The only difference I see between Oliver and MJD is that MJD can run to daylight whereas Oliver can be tracked down from behind in the open field. In terms of weight-per-height both of these guys are off the charts in Jonathan Stewart/Trent Richardson/Michael Turner territory. You saw that pay off today in some of the highlights above. On the first screen pass he's bouncing off tackles, on the 52 yard run he stiff-arms a linebacker at full speed without losing any momentum at all, and on the TD catch he lowers the boom and runs through a linebacker's attempted tackle. He's not quite the jitterbug that Sproles is, but he can string together cuts very well. It's something that really caught my attention when I watched him at Buffalo. Check out some of his vintage moves here.

It's just crazy to think in hindsight about how a guy who averaged 121 rushing yards per game over his last three college seasons and broke James Starks's school career rushing yards record couldn't even get an invite to the combine or the East-West Shrine Game (much less the Senior Bowl). This guy signed with some rinky dink talent agency and was basically putting his own videos on YouTube just to get a look. He wasn't even a priority free agent. He didn't sign with San Diego until a full 11 days after the NFL draft. Most hot UDFA prospects get signed within hours. When you think about all of that, it just makes the story that much more interesting. It just seems like every year we get one or two of these in the NFL with guys like Colston, Cruz, and Morris. It's still early and there's still the possibility that this is just his Quentin Griffin fifteen minutes of fame, but when you look at his college career, the preseason buzz, him making the 53 man roster in a crowded backfield, and the results from today, there's definitely an encouraging pattern.

I was quite surprised when he didn't get drafted, and I imagine the "slower" 40 time may have played a part. For my money, he projects as a much better NFL RB than James Starks did. Not that that's saying a ton, as Starks hasn't exactly set the league on fire, but he was much more heavily hyped out of college and I don't know why.
And he had a better game today than Starks has ever had during his NFL career....

I may be going BIG FAAB for him this week.

I am desperate at RB now especially if Reggie Bush doesn't bounce back and already traded for Mathews to stash him on my bench.

Tell me it isn't stupid to spend like 40% budget (when I only have 50% of my budget left) on him

Good team, good opportunity, made Donald Brown look as bad as he is even with the concussion. Wish I had grabbed him in my redrafts but this is an unexpected blessing in my dynasty leagues.

With a body like MJD, will he just be like a woodhead on steroids or could he be a feature back?
He had a lot of carries at Buffalo. Had some injury issues as a junior, but on the balance he was a workhorse during his time there.

Today was likely the best game Oliver will ever have (2 TDs, 2 50+ yard plays). The Jets defense was gassed due to the heat (well over 100 on the field) and the Chargers' time of possession, plus multiple in game injuries on defense.

I expect when Mathews returns, he will assume the lead back role and Oliver will assume the Woodhead role. (And Brown will resume his minimal role.)
With all due respect, you have been on the Mathews bandwagon hardcore for years now, so perhaps you are not being completely impartial, no?

With the way Oliver produced today, against a good run defense, if he keeps it up, it is gonna be hard to keep him off the field. Today was probably the best day a SD RB had since the Tomlinson years. And with Oakland coming next week, it could be another highly productive day.

That's an awfully one sided way to look at it. Stuff like the heat and players getting injured happens all the time, they're hardly rare phenomenons that suggest Oliver's success was just a lucky performance. Not to mention the Jets had the top run D in the league coming into the game.

:bs:

Yahoo's insight..

Beware of running backs playing in hot weather. When the temperature is above 80 degrees, the top 32 RBs from 2013 average 26% fewer fantasy points than their historical weekly average

LOL. Is Corey Clement still better than Melvin Gordon? Who cares!

I was simply correcting someone who mistakenly corrected another poster.

You obviously care enough to butt in.

I may be going BIG FAAB for him this week.

I am desperate at RB now especially if Reggie Bush doesn't bounce back and already traded for Mathews to stash him on my bench.

Tell me it isn't stupid to spend like 40% budget (when I only have 50% of my budget left) on him
with the slim pickings at RB i wouldn't blame you one bit. I was lucky to take him 2 weeks ago in both my leagues, one a auction which i paid nothing because I grabbed him after waivers were over.

It was all because of this forum, thank you china you helped me jump on him before anyone knew.

Situation-wise I gotta say Branden Oliver. Just seems to fulfill all the requirements of a backup RB stash.

1) Struggling/Injured starter - Donald Brown is averaging a historically bad 1.97 ypc. Matthews's ligaments are made of tissue paper.

2) Team that likes to throw to RBs - 4 catches for 33 yds in his first full game.

3) Good offense and QB leading to plenty of scoring opportunities

4) Returns kickoffs if you're in a return yd league

5) Playing time trending upwards - McCoy insinuating more snaps for the kid.

Only negatives I see are an oline that isn't run blocking well and a terrible matchup against the Jets this week.

Can't decide if I want to use my #1 ww priority on him or not. He's not the #1 rb in SD in two weeks........

How much you want to bet Mathews has a more definite time table this week for a return. Can't make the club in the tub.

I'm confused on why ppl think Oliver is going to supplant Mathews where I was thinking when I took him, his role is more defined as the woodhead sproles role. I could be wrong but I'm happy nonetheless

No, you were not "simply correcting" someone. Your pride got in the way and it is obvious you felt like you needed to defend your status as a dynasty guy on this board. You even searched and attached not one, but TWO, threads to defend your fantasy manhood prowess.

And I have nothing against you. I appreciate your dynasty comments. I'm just tired of the constant pride comments people feel like they have to post about themselves.

Can't decide if I want to use my #1 ww priority on him or not. He's not the #1 rb in SD in two weeks........
I think you have to. Woodhead put up #2 numbers with Matthews as the lead back. Brown has proven to be mediocre. I won't say sky is the limit but there are also a lot of competent pieces around him in that offense.

“I’ve been running like that my whole life,” Oliver said. “God gave me the ability to do that in the backyard with my brothers. They’ve always been faster than me, so I’ve had to cut back in different ways and in certain situations.”

Really liked reading that. I looked for some links about Barry Sanders and his moves from flag football as a kid but couldn't find them. Kid looked great and excited to see what else he can do if given the opportunity.

San Diego’s offensive line finally provided room for the running backs to run. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Oliver had 84 rushing yards before contact on Sunday, the most by a Charger in a game this season.

Oliver wasn’t hit in the backfield on any of his 19 rushes. Coming into the game, San Diego averaged a league-low 0.98 yards before contact per rush.
That is sort of a double edged sword. Means the line he is behind is great but makes me question where his ability is. Whatever, though, Brown looked like dog#### behind the same line.

I have to say that his performance was bad news for Ryan Mathews owners.

Has been waiting so long to see a good back in Chargers who can do it all and I'm glad I own this guy in both of my leagues (Dynasty& Re-draft).

Oliver can run people over, can catch and can make people miss, is there something more that you want?

I just hope this guy keeps on rocking :headbang:

How much you want to bet Mathews has a more definite time table this week for a return. Can't make the club in the tub.
Yeah, he's now targeting a return against Denver because of it being such a high profile matchup.

I don't know what the snap split will be once he returns, but if Mathews comes out looking like the 2nd half of last year they will probably let him get carries, but Oliver will certainly be in the mix.

I have a feeling I won't be able to get this guy even if I sell out with my remaining budget. :(

But if I do I might just end up starting both Mathews and Oliver for good matchups. When Rivers is 'on' and that offense is clicking you could very easily see RB1-RB2 production from Mathews and Flex from a second guy (Sproles/Oliver?).

There's been lots of love of Oliver on this board since 2012, there's many posts that could have been a person's first exposure to Oliver. As buck naked already mentioned, you're not correcting anything.

Props to you sharkies for bringing him up so long ago and I should have listened and picked him up 2 weeks ago when he was getting hyped in these forums. Guy looked like Barry Sanders/Sproles combination and like guy mentioned had 26 reps at combine, this guy is a tank and a good wr out of the backfield.. Disappointed I didn't get on the bus earlier, and props to anyone bumping him this year, Good call.

What's really funny is that, in his, what, second NFL game where he got a good number of touches, Branden Oliver had a game that is better than every NFL game Ryan Mathews has had to date, in four plus seasons.

Im gonna just roll with all the hyperbole. .. I've been stuck deciding between the likes of Cj2k, Trich, Vereen all year in 16 team ppr. Picked up Oliver two weeks ago on open waiver along with Antone Smith. Feels like I may have a viable option the next few weeks....... so he can be Barry/Sproles/MJD! Im excited to see what he evolves into.

What's really funny is that, in his, what, second NFL game where he got a good number of touches, Branden Oliver had a game that is better than every NFL game Ryan Mathews has had to date, in four plus seasons.
Yup, I believe no Charger RB has put up these kind of #s since LT2.

Mathews owners have to be feeling a little salty but there's no denying we have a changing of the guard here. Mathews has been disappointing(mostly injuries) almost every year and I can't imagine a scenario where they'll be comfortable letting Oliver sit and Matthews play. I see a 60-40 at best split for Mathews dwindling to another team in the future.

Mathews owners have to be feeling a little salty but there's no denying we have a changing of the guard here. Mathews has been disappointing(mostly injuries) almost every year and I can't imagine a scenario where they'll be comfortable letting Oliver sit and Matthews play. I see a 60-40 at best split for Mathews dwindling to another team in the future.
I think it is a little quick to announce a changing of the guard. The arrow is undoubtedly pointing up for Oliver, but let's see him have more than a single game of success first.

Oliver's got some juicy matchups coming in the next 2 weeks. If he continues to shine, I highly doubt he will be relegated to "the woodhead role" when all the RBs are healthy. Not to mention if the guy is getting paid pennies on the dollar compared to the other guys, who do you think management wants the coaches to develop and keep around?

lol, it's been one game. Changing of the guard?

Mathews performed just fine through the middle/late season last year.

I'm still going to spend a healthy amount of FAAB on him. But then I have Mathews on the bench so that offsets the risk a little vs anybody else in the league.

Unless you have them both!! :towelwave:

I owe this pickup to the Shark Pool

:thanks:

I think it is a little quick to announce a changing of the guard. The arrow is undoubtedly pointing up for Oliver, but let's see him have more than a single game of success first.
:goodposting:

Oliver has those enticing matchups the next few weeks and the NFL is all about momentum and opportunity. If he seizes it, Matthews owners have a legit issue.

Woodhead put up RB2/Great flew numbers last year in PPR leagues with Matthews playing. If there is nothing in "Bo's" way for a few weeks and he rocks out a couple of good games, the Chargers will be paying attention.

Guys like him get overlooked but with MJD and Rice and Sproles having such success in the league, it gives him some extra looks. ANd with Matthews seemingly always having a little boo boo here and there, you have to think, at worst, you have a must-have handcuff that is worth holding onto in dynasty because Matthews' contract is up.

Users who are viewing this thread