What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady Quinn takes some 1st team reps (1 Viewer)

You know what's funny? Tebow's career passing stats are actually better than Quinn's on the exact same number of attempts.

I am as anti-Tebow as they come and think he has no future in the NFL but there is no way that Quinn should see the field over him at any point of any game in any situation. Quinn brings absolutely nothing to the table unless you count throwing it 20 yards off of the field of play when he attempts those 20 yard bombs.

What would be wrong for Brady to take a few snaps when a running QB like Tebow is your 1st guy and has at least a moderate chance for injury against the hard hitting Steelers? As a head coach you would hate to be within striking distance like 21-17 in the 4th and suddenly need your back up but "Oops, we didn't give him any snaps this week"...Head Coach is covering all his bases or his ### depending on how you want to phrase it. Fox doesn't want to be caught with his pants down is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be wrong for Brady to take a few snaps when a running QB like Tebow is your 1st guy and has at least a moderate chance for injury against the hard hitting Steelers? As a head coach you would hate to be within striking distance like 21-17 in the 4th and suddenly need your back up but "Oops, we didn't give him any snaps this week"...Head Coach is covering all his bases or his ### depending on how you want to phrase it. Fox doesn't want to be caught with his pants down is all.
Good point. Brady Quinn with no first team practice is terrible. But give him a dozen or so snaps and BOOM - he's the next Joe Montana!

Good point. Brady Quinn with no first team practice is terrible. But give him a dozen or so snaps and BOOM - he's the next Joe Montana!
I'm not sure I would go that far but he's at least as good as an Alex Smith ;)

I think Tebow needs all the reps he can get. He's a big reason why the team is in the playoffs, so hedging in case of injury seems a bit over-protective. The Steelers are beat up and certainly beatable on the road, but the Broncos will need to play really, really well to take advantage. I wouldn't want to take away valuable reps from my starting QB who needs them. If Quinn is in the game, the Broncos aren't winning imo. I hope the report isn't true, and it looks like it might have been debunked already. The Broncos need to commit to Tim Tebow-- for the duration of the playoffs, at least.

The Steelers are beat up and certainly beatable on the road, but the Broncos will need to play really, really well to take advantage. I wouldn't want to take away valuable reps from my starting QB who needs them. If Quinn is in the game, the Broncos aren't winning imo.
I disagree. I don't think the Broncos have to have an exceptional game to win, but moreover, they MUST have a QB that can throw into some man coverage. I know that the Steelers have the #1 passing D in the league, but everyone in the NFL now knows how to beat Tebow. Man on the edge and surround him / smother him in the pocket. It winds up being a sack as he runs out or a fumble (or if he unloads, a pic). This is the strategy from players I've heard on KKFN here in Denver, and with Griese on the Herd today. Additionally, it's apparently a little different from what **** LeBeau would do traditionally.Now, if you have Man coverage on the WR's, the space is tight, but there is room to throw. Denver needs someone, ANYONE, that can make those throws, and if you saw the last 3 games, Tebow did NOTHING to show that he's willing to, or capable of doing that. Maybe he will, but I am not hopeful.I also think... if Tebow plays the first half with a ton of 3-and-outs, and we're down by less than 16, it's a good time to try something else. It's not so far gone that you need to abandon the run, but it's too much for a 3-and-out Tebow to overcome. Maybe they just sub them for series, but he'll need to go in. This is win or go home time, and they don't want to go home without trying everything. I don't think Denver will win, but it would be a nice surprise, and I think to do so they'll need to be creative, not necessarily play their best ball offensively.

You know what's funny? Tebow's career passing stats are actually better than Quinn's on the exact same number of attempts.
You know what's not funny?Aaron Rodgers: 2005 NFL Draft, 24th overall

Brady Quinn: 2007 NFL Draft, 22nd overall

:cry:
worse for us as a Vikings fan - We not only passed on Rodgers once but twice...
Culpepper had broke the record for the most passing yards in a season in 2004. No one can balme the Vikings for passing on a QB in 2005.

Didn't realize Steelers hit harder than other teams. :confused:

This report appears to be true: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/source-broncos-have-specific-packages-for-quinn/
We’ve reported — and we stand by those reports despite denials from the man at the center of the action — that Broncos quarterback Brady Quinn has received roughly half the reps with the first-team offense in practice this week. It previously wasn’t known why Quinn received the extra reps.

Now, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Broncos have installed specific packages for Quinn premised on second-and-long and third-and-long situations. Whether and to what extent Quinn actually plays remains unknown. But despite anything said by Quinn or reported elsewhere, the Broncos are getting Quinn ready for something.
If the Broncos are behind 17-0 at halftime with 2 complete passes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Quinn. Having a young QB like Tebow take his lumps while learning during regular season games is one thing --- lots of teams do that. Playoff games are different; you don't get to lose and then play again next week. Maybe Tebow "needs the reps", but it's a team sport and the Broncos need to win.

This report appears to be true: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/source-broncos-have-specific-packages-for-quinn/
We’ve reported — and we stand by those reports despite denials from the man at the center of the action — that Broncos quarterback Brady Quinn has received roughly half the reps with the first-team offense in practice this week. It previously wasn’t known why Quinn received the extra reps.

Now, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Broncos have installed specific packages for Quinn premised on second-and-long and third-and-long situations. Whether and to what extent Quinn actually plays remains unknown. But despite anything said by Quinn or reported elsewhere, the Broncos are getting Quinn ready for something.
If the Broncos are behind 17-0 at halftime with 2 complete passes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Quinn. Having a young QB like Tebow take his lumps while learning during regular season games is one thing --- lots of teams do that. Playoff games are different; you don't get to lose and then play again next week. Maybe Tebow "needs the reps", but it's a team sport and the Broncos need to win.
I think I know their Source

Quinn will see some snaps no matter what the score. Probably in several pure passing situation. It will be used kind of like the wildcat, except in long yardage situations instead of short yardage.

Broncos are prepared to yank Tebow, if he struggles against Steelers

Now, multiple sources tell PFT that coach John Fox is prepared to bench Tebow, if he struggles once again. As one source explained it, Broncos players don’t regard the development as a big deal. It’s no surprise that Tebow hasn’t been the same guy lately, with as many turnovers in the last two games (six) as he had in all of the prior 10 games combined. Indeed, it’s smart coaching by Fox to be ready to do whatever needs to be done to win.

IMO it'd be a disaster if this decision was made if the game is in striking distance. If Quinn came in after the 1-4 start, they'd of finished 1-15. This guy is terrible. Do they really think that Quinn can 3 road games and get to bowl? C'mon, let the man who got you there do what he does.

Quin has zero leadership as well. He's a head hanger.

First the Broncos brass tells Tebow to quit playing timid and let it rip while at the same time they are prepping Quinn. Seems like a strange way to get a guy to play with confidence. Maybe they are just playing to Tebow's competitive nature.

I dont see it as a big deal. If you are gonna beat pittsburgh, you need more than a gimmick offense.

'jon_mx said:
Quinn will see some snaps no matter what the score. Probably in several pure passing situation. It will be used kind of like the wildcat, except in long yardage situations instead of short yardage.
Because long yardage is where Quinn has always thrived. Nobody can turn 3rd and 10 into 4th and 8 better than Brady Quinn.

And I thought the Bears were stupid. This would be the most moronic thing I've seen in years. Besides Elway and Fox, who puts this type of thing out there right before your QBs first playoff game. Amazing. :loco:

And I thought the Bears were stupid. This would be the most moronic thing I've seen in years. Besides Elway and Fox, who puts this type of thing out there right before your QBs first playoff game. Amazing. :loco:
To be fair, it's all coming from PFT.
Jay Glazer on twitter this morning...
Plan today for Denver is if tebow struggles w bad decisions they plan to use Brady Quinn at least on 3rd downs.

Because long yardage is where Quinn has always thrived. Nobody can turn 3rd and 10 into 4th and 8 better than Brady Quinn.
:lmao: Reminds me of that baseball quote about Hector Lopez.

Now, it is not necessary for me to declare that Hector Lopez was the worst fielding third baseman in the history of baseball. Everyone knows that. It is more or less a matter of public record. But I do feel called upon somehow to try to indicate, if only for the historical archivists among us, the sheer depths of his innovative barbarousness. Hector Lopez was a butcher. Pure and Simple. A butcher. His range was about one step to either side, his hands seemed to be made of concrete and his defensive attitude was so cavalier and arbitrary as to hardly constitute an attitude at all. Hector did not simply field a groundball, he attacked it. Like a farmer trying to kill a snake with a stick. And his mishandling of routine infield flies was the sort of which legends are made. Hector Lopez was not just a bad fielder for a third baseman. In fact, Hector Lopez was not just a bad fielder for a baseball player. Hector Lopez was, when every factor has been taken into consideration, a bad fielder for a human being. The stands are full of obnoxious leather-lunged cretins who insist they can play better than most major leaguers. Well, in Hector's case they could have been right. I would like to go on record right here and now as declaring Hector Lopez the all-time worst fielding major league ballplayer. That's quite a responsibility there, Hector, but I have every confidence you'll be able to live up to it.

'Rodeojones said:
To be fair, it's all coming from PFT.
Jay Glazer on twitter this morning...
Plan today for Denver is if tebow struggles w bad decisions they plan to use Brady Quinn at least on 3rd downs.
:lmao:

Tom Jackson said it best: John Fox wants to win this game, not soothe the ego of Tim Tebow by continuing to play him if he struggles badly.

Playing Brady Quinn isn't helping anyone win, except the Steelers. There's a reason Fox is a retread.
Belichick is also a retread. And Tom Coughlin. And Mike Shanahan. etc. Quinn isn't good, but if Tebow looks as miserable throwing the ball today as he did last week, Quinn might actually give them a better shot on 3rd downs today, sad as that is to say.

Glazer reporting the Broncos will use Quinn today on third down, and could bench Tebow altogether if he struggles. These guys just don't get it.

The CBS broadcast crew (Jim Nantz and Phil Simms) mentioned this at the end of the game. They said that whoever gave the reports that Quinn took first-string snaps didn't see the practices they saw.

Users who are viewing this thread