What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Jarwin, TE, Dallas Cowboys - Dynasty and Redraft Value (1 Viewer)

I really like what Blake Jarwin brings to the Cowboys' offense, but I worry how much work he will get.  Zeke will obviously command his usual share of the offense, Amari Cooper will be a huge part of the attack, and Gallup proved he deserves a role.  Factor in CeeDee Lamb, and I find myself a little less excited about the opportunities that will be coming Jarwin's way.  I am buying his upside in dynasty, but I fear Jarwin will disappoint in redraft. 

I really like what Blake Jarwin brings to the Cowboys' offense, but I worry how much work he will get.  Zeke will obviously command his usual share of the offense, Amari Cooper will be a huge part of the attack, and Gallup proved he deserves a role.  Factor in CeeDee Lamb, and I find myself a little less excited about the opportunities that will be coming Jarwin's way.  I am buying his upside in dynasty, but I fear Jarwin will disappoint in redraft. 
There's a lot of available targets between the Cobb and Witten departures. 

There's a lot of available targets between the Cobb and Witten departures. 
Sure, but they added Lamb, which seems to cancel out a lot of that. Jarwin had 41 targets last season... if he plays well and stays healthy, I expect a big increase, but who knows if he can handle 100 targets?

Sure, but they added Lamb, which seems to cancel out a lot of that. Jarwin had 41 targets last season... if he plays well and stays healthy, I expect a big increase, but who knows if he can handle 100 targets?
Add Jarwin's targets to those 2 and there are theoretically more than 200 up for grabs. A TE does not need 100 to be viable. And the unknown of his ability to handle the workload is baked into his price. 

I'd rather draft Gallup or Lamb, but if I miss both and still need a TE then Jarwin is a very attractive target. 

Cobb had 83 targets,  Witten had 83 and Jarwin 41. That's 207 combined available targets for Jarwin,  Lamb and TE 2. And their offense should be even better in 2020

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a very short list of teams with 3 players over 100 targets and one of those being a tight end. I don’t see 100 targets possible at all just based off statistics if we think Cooper and Gallup get 100 targets, but as said above, he doesn’t need 100 to be fantasy relevant. 70-80 would be plenty. 

I’d be more worried about McCathys tendency to not use his TE more than anything 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobb had 83 targets,  Witten had 83 and Jarwin 41. That's 207 combined available targets for Jarwin,  Lamb and TE 2. And their offense should be even better in 2020
And? That does not address my comment that we don't know if Jarwin can handle 100 targets... maybe he can. If so, he will be great value. If not, not so much. :shrug:  

There is a very short list of teams with 3 players over 100 targets and one of those being a tight end. I don’t see 100 targets possible at all just based off statistics if we think Cooper and Gallup get 100 targets, but as said above, he doesn’t need 100 to be fantasy relevant. 70-80 would be plenty. 

I’d be more worried about McCathys tendency to not use his TE more than anything 
Good point on McCarthy. I wasn't really advocating for Jarwin to get 100 targets as much as pointing out that we don't even know that he can handle that workload, since it is more than double his career high to date. I think Jarwin is a legit breakout candidate, just saying he is no sure thing.

But was that tendency his own or was it attributed to Rodgers consistently doing his own thing?

Just worry about total targets. Max is probably 100 but that's absolute ceiling. Anything over 80ish and he's a low end TE1 in FF. 

Cowboys beat writers said TE Blake Jarwin's blocking struggles could affect his playing time and usage. 

Cowboys beat writer Nick Eatman, who works for the team, said his "only worry" about Jarwin is "how well he holds up as a blocker." Eatman added that Jarwin's shortcomings as a blocker "just hurts the team's versatility and flexibility because you know what they're going to do when they're out there." Of course, fantasy managers aren't drafting Jarwin for his blocking ability, but if the team feels they're telegraphing plays when Jarwin is on the field, he could see his snaps limited. In a potent Dallas offense in which he'll see favorable matchups, Jarwin is still worth drafting at his 13th round ADP. 

SOURCE: DalasCowboys.com 

Sep 3, 2020, 11:02 AM ET

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys believe Blake Jarwin may have a torn ACL.

Jarwin will get an MRI, but it's looking like his season is over. Hyped as a fourth-year breakout, Jarwin didn't make it through the first half of Week 1 before getting injured. The Cowboys will move forward with Dalton Schultz and Blake Bell for now. If there's any good news it's that Jarwin should be ready for Week 1 next season. 

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News

Sep 13, 2020, 10:24 PM ET

Cowboys TE Blake Jarwin suffered a torn ACL in Week 1 against the Rams.

Jarwin hit the ground with a non-contact injury while running a route in the first half. It's a massive blow for the organization after it rewarded the 26-year-old with a three-year extension and every-down role this offseason. Jarwin's absence opens up Dallas' target tree for rookie CeeDee Lamb to be even more involved down the stretch. The former is expected to make a full recovery ahead of the 2021 season.

SOURCE: Calvin Watkins on Twitter

Sep 14, 2020, 1:22 PM ET

Cowboys TE Blake Jarwin (knee) got in limited reps at OTAs.

Jarwin is working his way back from a September torn ACL. Getting in any offseason reps is a great sign for his recovery. Talked up by the Cowboys before going down in the season opener, there’s potential for a post-hype Jarwin breakout, but he’ll have a low target ceiling behind Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, and Michael Gallup.

May 30, 2021, 10:22 AM ET

Cowboys TE Blake Jarwin (knee) said he "anticipates" being "ready to roll" at the start of the team's training camp in July. 

Jarwin missed almost the entire 2020 season after tearing his ACL in Week 1. Dalton Schultz served as the team's starter, running the third most pass routes among tight ends and seeing the ninth most targets (85). Jarwin, should he get back to full health before Week 1, should be an every-week fantasy starter in 12-team leagues in Dallas' high-octane passing attack. Any setbacks for Jarwin this summer would position Schultz as a sneaky late-round pick for fantasy managers who fade tight end. 

RELATED: 

Dalton Schultz

SOURCE: DallasCowboys.com 

Jun 2, 2021, 8:59 AM ET

Cowboys TE Blake Jarwin (knee) is practicing with the team at training camp. 

There was some question whether Jarwin -- after tearing his ACL in Week 1 last season -- would get the green light for training camp. He's out there, running routes against defenders, per beat writers. Last year, with Jarwin out, Dalton Schultz served as the team's starter, running the third most pass routes among tight ends and seeing the ninth most targets (85). Jarwin, should he once again become Dallas' primary pass-catching tight end, should be considered a high-upside late-round pick. 

RELATED: 

Dalton Schultz

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Jul 22, 2021, 3:23 PM ET

Blake Jarwin caught 3-of-4 targets for 20 yards in the Cowboys' Week 1 loss to the Bucs. 

Jarwin got doubled up in the catches department by Dalton Schultz, though Schultz's snap advantage was a modest 57-48. The duo is in a timeshare, and it would not be surprising to see Jarwin eventually get the better of it. That is not a guarantee, however, after Schultz turned in a solid 2020 as a compiler. Jarwin doesn't have much TE2 juice right now.

Missed a very key block on a linebacker in that third and goal short yardage option pitch to Elliot. Wonder if that factored into his snaps after that? 

Missed a very key block on a linebacker in that third and goal short yardage option pitch to Elliot. Wonder if that factored into his snaps after that? 
Yeah, looked like Zeke would have waltzed into the end zone if Jarwin had made that block.  He's going to need to pick it up in that area to have a chance at increased fantasy relevance. 

The Dallas Morning News reports Blake Jarwin has undergone "surgery for a hip injury that is considered very uncommon for an active NFL player," and that he is not expected to be ready for Week 1. 

Beat writer Michael Gehlken goes as far as to say Jarwin's Cowboys future is in question. Limited to one game by a torn ACL in 2020, Jarwin then missed half of 2021 with a hip issue. Obviously, it has not gotten better. Jarwin is signed through 2023, but going on 28, the Cowboys won't be putting many eggs in his future basket. Jarwin's latest health question mark comes as Dalton Schultz readies for free agency. This undoubtedly increases the odds Schultz will be re-signed. As sad as it is to say, Jarwin's once-promising Dynasty league future is bleak. 

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Mar 3, 2022, 2:45 PM ET

Cowboys waived/injured TE Blake Jarwin.

Jarwin underwent a surgery for a hip injury that is "considered very uncommon" for an active NFL player, as reported in March, and was considered unlikely to be ready for Week 1. Dallas saves a little under $4 million in cap space with the move. Dalton Schultz took over as the main Cowboys tight end this season and was franchise tagged. This move will likely create more snaps for last year's No. 3 tight end, Sean McKeon. 

RELATED: 

Sean McKeon

, Dalton Schultz

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Mar 11, 2022, 4:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread