What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 3m

Right now on ESPN, Todd McShay says Blake Bortles is now his top QB in the draft over watching him live over Teddy. Jaws agrees.
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 55m

Bortles pro day is over. Solid performance early. He got gassed late. It's hot in here. Missed some deep balls at the end. Overall, decent.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 1h

Velocity really dipped from 2012 to 2013. Might be pt of focus RT @McClain_on_NFL: Two scouts tell me they like Bortles arm strength & touch
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 28m

Mayock on Bortles after "solid" pro day: Potentially franchise QB, but needs time to develop. http://on.nfl.com/1gHBwEB

Mayock: UCF's Blake Bortles has a good pro-day workout

By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

UCF quarterback Blake Bortles' pro-day workout Wednesday was a success, especially when compared to Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's. Both are in play to be the No. 1 overall pick in May's draft.

Bortles ran a 65-pass workout supervised by NFL quarterback Jordan Palmer, who has worked with Bortles for the past two months. NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock said the workout "looked like it was supposed to look."

"He's potentially a franchise quarterback," Mayock said, noting that Bortles is somewhat raw and "needs some time" to reach his full potential.

The workout came in front of numerous front-office personnel from teams that pick in the top eight, including quarterback-needy teams Houston (picks first), Jacksonville (third), Cleveland (fourth), Oakland (fifth) and Minnesota (eighth). Tampa Bay, which picks seventh, also was well-represented.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien told the Houston Chronicle that "it was a good workout. He made all the throws, shows good footwork. I was impressed." Bucs coach Lovie Smith told the Tampa Bay Times that team personnel spent time with Bortles before his workout.

Mayock said Bortles looked good throwing short, intermediate and long routes, and "was really solid from every perspective." He said he thought Bortles showed "really good arm strength," though not elite.

Bortles said he was pleased with his workout: "I thought it was good; I thought it went well."

NFL Media draft analyst Charles Davis agreed with Bortles and Mayock: "I think he had a very nice workout overall." Davis said he was impressed with Bortles' footwork, saying it looked "easy and fluid," and that Bortles looked equally comfortable when rolling out to either side.

Bortles measured 6-foot-5 and 229 pounds, three fewer pounds than at last month's NFL Scouting Combine, and Davis said that when you look at quarterbacks who are Bortles' size, "you're thinking 'cannon' " for an arm. That's not the case with Bortles, though Davis did say Bortles has "a good-enough arm to make all the throws."

Davis also said possessing a huge arm "is not a prerequisite to be a great quarterback."

UCF coach George O'Leary told NFL Network after the workout that in situations like these, "you get great exposure or you get exposed." He said he thought Bortles - - whom he praised for his great poise - - showed well.

"Is anybody truly ready" to be an NFL quarterback, O'Leary asked rhetorically, then answered "no." But O'Leary, who is a former NFL assistant, also said Bortles "does a lot of the things you need to do in the pros."

Before Bortles' workout, Mayock said "things he doesn't do well don't show up in pro days," specifically mentioning reading defenses and staring down receivers.

Mayock described Brigdewater's pro day as "average, at best," and viewed it as a red flag. He didn't see any red flags Wednesday in Bortles' workout.

Davis cautioned against reading too much into pro day workouts. He brought up Bridgewater's lackluster workout and said he had talked to an NFL offensive coordinator who said Bridgewater's issues Monday could be fixed "with a couple of days' worth of work."

The next big quarterback workout comes Thursday, when Fresno State's Derek Carr has his pro day. Carr generally is considered the fourth-best quarterback prospect, and there are some analysts who think he could go in the first round.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro Days: Blake Bortles "solid" in scripted session

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

March 19, 2014 4:10 pm ET

Blake Bortles' startling ascent from relative unknown to potential No. 1 overall NFL Draft pick stayed on course with one long-time NFL scout at Central Florida's pro day Wednesday characterizing the quarterback's workout as a "very solid performance overall."

The question now is whether the relatively raw Bortles has shown enough to leap past NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated passer, Teddy Bridgewater, in the minds of NFL teams. Bridgewater is coming off an inconsistent showing at his pro day Monday.

Another high-ranking scout at Bortles' workout gave the throwing session a "B" on a typical A-F scale, acknowledging Bortles' "good" accuracy on underneath passes but also questioning his deep ball accuracy after several of the quarterback's final throws sailed over the head of his intended targets.

The majority of his misses during the scripted throwing routine were either drops from his receivers or overthrows on deep balls.

Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley, whose team is thought likely to select a quarterback with the No. 3 overall pick, was complimentary of Bortles' performance.

"I thought it was a good day for him," Bradley told Jaguars.com, which streamed the workout online.

"There are always things, for him, I'm sure he'd like to do better, but I thought it was a good workout."

Bortles began stretching his right arm at approximately 2 p.m. ET and started actually throwing approximately 30 minutes later.

The majority of his early throws were touch passes, a few of which hung in the air and forced receivers to wait on the ball. Most were thrown accurately, allowing receivers to run after the catch easily. Receivers occasionally had to reach high outside of their frame to make tough grabs.

Rather than build momentum as he did in UCF's thrilling comeback win over Bridgewater's Louisville team in October, Bortles' workout finished with several of his deep throws sailing too far over the head of his intended targets.

The inability to connect on long throws won't necessarily hurt the quarterback's stock with scouts, as he showed good touch and trajectory on the passes.

It was clear that Bortles wanted to demonstrate his comfort in moving about the pocket, slipping past a coach directing the action as well as avoiding objects thrown toward his feet. He did not take snaps from an actual center but took three-, five- and seven-step drops as well as mimicking the shotgun before throwing passes.

Because his footwork is considered an area of concern for the young quarterback, the improvement shown in this area is significant.

A few passes to his right were thrown low, one of which (a quick comeback) was the first incompletion of the day.

Two of Bortles' best throws on the day were actually dropped by his receivers. One came after play-action and a brief rollout to his left in which a well-thrown 20-yard pass that hit his receiver in hands was simply dropped. The next play, Bortles attempted to hit a running back on a wheel route down the right sideline. This pass also bounced off the hands of his intended target.

Velocity was not an issue for Bortles. The ball doesn't necessarily explode out of his hand but when Bortles decided to let it rip, the ball sizzled through the air. Several of Bortles' best throws on the day were intermediate targets down the seam and to the sidelines.

Due to a blend of size, athleticism and arm talent, Bortles is widely regarded as the quarterback with the highest upside in the 2014 class, and he is projected as the No. 1 overall pick to the Houston Texans by NFLDraftScout.com analyst Dane Brugler.

Bortles officially measured in at 6-feet-4 and 3/4, 229 pounds on Wednesday, apparently shrinking slightly since the ombine, where he was listed at 6-5 even and 232 pounds.

Scouts won't quibble over fractions of an inch. Instead, they'll focus on how well Bortles uses his unique traits. In addition to his height, Bortles possesses the well-built frame to handle the pounding of the NFL. He is also more athletic than his 4.93-second 40-yard dash at the combine might lead you to believe. Further, he possesses plenty of arm strength to make every throw, as well as developing accuracy to all levels of the field.

Most important, he uses these gifts well. Bortles stands strong in the pocket, showing poise and vision to exhaust all of his passing opportunities downfield rather than dropping his eyes as the rush intensifies. When he does run, Bortles shows some agility, power and surprising acceleration for a man of his size.

Despite his obvious talents, Bortles is considered a risky selection in large part due to inconsistent accuracy from the pocket. Throughout his collegiate career, Bortles showed a tendency to throw off-balance, sapping some of the velocity from his passes and impacting ball-placement.

He appeared much more under control during Wednesday's scripted workout.

Because much of the concern over Bortles is based on his technique, Wednesday's improvement after a solid (but unspectacular) combine workout could be enough to win over some of his critics.

Among those attending Wednesday's workout was a large contingent from the Texans, including general manager Rick Smith, head coach Bill O'Brien and quarterback coach George Godsey. The Vikings, owners of the No. 8 overall pick, were similarly invested, sending general manager Rick Spielman, head coach Mike Zimmer and offensive coordinator Norv Turner to the workout.

The Texans and Vikings were among four franchises which met "extensively" with Bortles the day before his workout, according to respected draft analyst Tony Pauline. The Jaguars (who own the No. 3 overall pick) and Oakland Raiders (No. 5) also reportedly met with the quarterback on Tuesday.

Decision-makers for each of these clubs were represented at Wednesday's pro day, including Jacksonville's Bradley and general manager David Caldwell and Raiders head coach Dennis Allen. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also sent a strong contingent with head coach Lovie Smith and general manager Jason Licht on hand.

According to a live video stream, there were 27 teams represented at the workout in all.

Bridgewater's 'unimpressive' Pro Day - Completed 57 of 65 passes.

Bortles 'solid' Pro Day - Completed 38 of 47 passes.
4 of Bortles in incompletions were drops, how many for Bridgewater? I do not know off hand.

Bridgewaters incompletions were all over the place, Bortles did not have many bad throws from what I saw.

Bridgewater's 'unimpressive' Pro Day - Completed 57 of 65 passes.

Bortles 'solid' Pro Day - Completed 38 of 47 passes.
4 of Bortles in incompletions were drops, how many for Bridgewater? I do not know off hand.

Bridgewaters incompletions were all over the place, Bortles did not have many bad throws from what I saw.
What was the difference in their bad throws on saturdays vs live defense?

So with Fitzpatrick signing in Houston and them likely dumping Schaub today. Are they still taking a rookie that needs to develop (per Mayock)?

So with Fitzpatrick signing in Houston and them likely dumping Schaub today. Are they still taking a rookie that needs to develop (per Mayock)?
I would presume so. Most likely, it's going to be Bortles. Fitzpatrick just accelerates Schaub out of town, and likely lowers his trading value as teams can sit and wait for him to be outright cut. You'd like to think Bortles can outshine Fitzmagic in preseason and take the ball and run with it in early Septemeber, but many analysts are saying him and every other QB in the draft will need some seasoning before they are ready to be called starters.

UCF coach George O'Leary hasn't spoken to the BrownsBy Bryan Fischer

While it is Johnny Manziel week around the NFL with the Texas A&M quarterback's pro day coming up on Thursday, there's still enough buzz around UCF's Blake Bortles to keep him on the back page.

On Tuesday, Browns coach Mike Pettine told reporters at the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando that if the team fell in love with a quarterback, they wouldn't hesitate to grab him at No. 4 overall. One candidate for the club is Bortles, and the team likely will end up bringing him in for a workout in the near future.

But it appears that the team hasn't dug into Mike Mayock's third-ranked quarterback just yet based on what Bortles college coach told Cleveland.com.

"I have not spoken to anybody from the Cleveland Browns, but I'm sure I will be," O'Leary said on a recent podcast for the site.

General manager Ray Farmer was reportedly at Bortles' pro day, but a few of the team's offensive staff members were noticeably absent from the workout. Maybe it's a misdirection play, maybe it isn't. Bortles remains a possibility at either of the club's two first-round picks if still on the board with a significant need at the quarterback position, however.

While the signal-callers in the draft have generally seen their stock drop the past two weeks, Bortles may be one of the exceptions after his impressive showing in front of scouts last week.

"I think the month and a half or two months that Blake spent out in California working on techniques he needed to work on showed off drastically as far as improvement at his pro day," O'Leary added. "He helped himself, there's no question, in terms of ball delivery, foot speed and just the tightness of everything that he worked at."

Cleveland.com's Glenn Moore, the host of the podcast that spoke with O'Leary, brought up a similarity many are making with the 6-foot-5, 232-pound Bortles by saying he plays a bit like the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger. There was not much disagreement on O'Leary's end with that comparison based on what he's seen in practice and during games.

"I think that's fair. All the good ones have to have the ability to keep a play alive," he said. "Blake has that ability and he showed it this past year. He's very aware of what's going on around him."

One of the knocks on Bortles is that he might need some time to develop early in his NFL career despite having the makeup scouts want in a franchise quarterback. O'Leary conceded his former player needs to continue to refine his accuracy and anticipation but teams will be getting a guy who can win games right from the beginning.

"I think anybody that drafts Blake early needs him to play. I think basically that he'll accept that challenge," O'Leary said. "Some guys just have it. He has it. I've been in the NFL and coached there, and he has all the skills you're looking for. It all depends on how you nurture things when you add the playbook and all those things.

"I do think he's a quick study as far as learning. He's a guy that's going to do whatever he has to do to play and will be competitive."

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Pro Days are so completely worthless for QBs. So dumb that so many analysts are making any type of decisions based on them.

UCF QB Blake Bortles draws praise from Jon GrudenBy Mike Huguenin

UCF quarterback Blake Bortles recently spent time with Jon Gruden for the ESPN analyst's "quarterback camp", and he seemingly made a big impression.

"Houston needs the 'Golden Knight,' " Gruden said, making a play on UCF's "Knights" nickname and also on the idea that the Texans need a quarterback savior.

"Can he learn and does he want to learn? Those are the two things I want to find out right away," Gruden said. "Clearly he has that going for him. Not a lot of quarterbacks are 6-5 and 235 and can run like that. He has the football pedigree; he is very fortunate to have played under George O'Leary at Central Florida. He has a heck of an upside, he really does."

At one point in the video from the camp, Gruden points out that Texans coach Bill O'Brien has a long personal history with O'Leary and Bortles wryly smiles. When asked by Gruden what he thought O'Leary would tell O'Brien, Bortles said, "I think he's telling him what everybody else would: The guy works hard, loves being in here, loves preparing, loves winning football games, is a leader, enjoys being a football player and has a ton of fun doing it."

Gruden also said Bortles reminds him of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger because of his size and relatively anonymous football background. As with Bortles, Roethlisberger played outside the college mainstream, starring at Miami (Ohio).

Bortles is No. 3 on NFL Media draft analyst Bucky Brooks' list of the best quarterbacks, with Brooks saying Bortles is "not as polished as (Teddy) Bridgewater and (Johnny) Manziel, but he offers tremendous upside as a developmental prospect." Bortles also is No. 3 on analyst Mike Mayock's quarterback list.

Still, Bortles definitely is in play to be the No. 1 pick. His prototypical size for a dropback passer fits nicely with what O'Brien wants to do with the Texans' offense. Bortles has experience in a pro-style offense, has worked under center and in the shotgun and was allowed to freely audible. O'Brien saw him up close when Bortles led UCF past O'Brien's Penn State team in 2013. In addition, O'Brien certainly will get an unvarnished scouting report on Bortles because of his relationship with O'Leary.

Houston recently signed veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, but he seems more likely to be a place-holder than anything else. Houston also has Case Keenum and T.J. Yates, but if any of those three are anything more than a short-term starter, it would be a surprise. Houston going with a quarterback No. 1 overall wouldn't be that big a surprise. And Bortles might be the best fit for the Texans -- their "Golden Knight," if you will.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

I saw Bortles with Gruden. I wasn't awfully high on him but I have to admit after that segment that I've rethought my position and am taking another look at him and moving him up.

Lots of charts/graph data that didn't transfer so head to the link for the full read.

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/ranking-top-three-qbs-2014-nfl-draft-blake-bortles

Ranking the Top Three QBs in the 2014 NFL Draft: Blake BortlesBy Lance Zierlein
March 31, 2014

Toughness and Poise

Blake Bortles has very good size by NFL standards (6’5/232) and he more than plays to his size from a toughness standpoint. Bortles has played in every game over the last two seasons and is a physical runner on called running plays or when he scrambles.

Defenses tended to blitz Bortles at a higher frequency of pass attempts (31.9%) than they did against Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater (29%). His completion percentage when blitzed was 64.8% which was higher than Manziel but lower than Bridgewater. Bortles’ 9.1 YPA, 7 TDs and 2 INTs when blitzed is good, but I found something more impressive. When games were “close and late” in the 4th quarter (score range between +7 & -7), Bortles completed 64.2% with 10 YPA, 4 TDs and 1 INT.

Bortles was especially poised when defenses brought 6+ rushers completing 65.2% of his passes which was substantially better than Manziel (52.6%) and Bridgewater (53.8%) with the highest YPA (12.5) of the three QBs. Bortles is a physical player who doesn’t appear to rattle easily. Coming out of high school, most teams wanted him to play TE in college and he wasn’t even listed in the top 137 QBs on recruiting lists his senior season. UCF took a chance with him at QB and he continues to talk about playing with a chip on his shoulder to this day.

Accuracy (including on the move)

The tape tells you that Blake Bortles is behind Manziel and Bridgewater at this current time as a QB prospect and the data tends to confirm this - especially when studying his short to intermediate accuracy.

Bortles intermediate accuracy was solid at 66%, but he only connected on 62% of his passes from 0-5 yards and completed 59% of his sideline throws from 0-15 yards which isn’t as high as it should be. On 3rd downs, Bortles completed 54.3% which is over 10% lower than the other two QBs. On 3rd downs with between 4 and 7 yards for a first down, Bortles really struggled at just 55.3% while Manziel (76%) and Bridgewater (79.1%) tortured defenses.

A big plus, however, was Bortles ability to make throws on the move. When asked to rollout, Bortles was 15 of 19 for 154 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs and he did a really nice job of squaring up to deliver his passes. While Manziel had 9 TDs to 1 INT when throwing from outside of the pocket, Bortles was equally impressive striking for 7 passing TDs and 0 INTs while outside of the pocket. From the pocket, Bortles was accurate for the most part but his 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio was disappointing.

Makes NFL Throws

With Bortles, you have to do some projecting when watching the tape and grinding on data. Bortles has enough arm to throw the deep digs and outs and I see enough zip on his passes between the CB and S, but right now he has a tendency to sail some of those passes and his accuracy is still a work in progress on some of those throws.
Despite the fact that less than 10% of his snaps came under center, Bortles is really strong at throwing the ball on rollouts and as he shows good technique and a willingness to keep his eyes down the field. The same can be said for his scrambles as he is generally decisive about whether he is going to run or just buy more time so he can make a throw.

Bortles had a higher percentage of throws behind the line of scrimmage (21.5%) than Manziel (20.3%) and Bridgewater (10.1%) of his throws in that area, but I wouldn’t get too hung up on that facet of his throws because it doesn’t really speak to his ability.

Bortles worked out of 3 or 4 WR sets 92.7% of the time which won’t be the norm in the NFL, but it did allow him to show that he could make the deep middle and seam throws with good ball placement and solid velocity. It might surprise you to know that Bortles had a better completion percentage and YPA (52.2%/17.2) on deep sideline throws than Manziel (51.4%/15.6) and Bridgewater (42.1%/12.1).

Mobility

To be honest, I was surprised at Blake Bortles relatively pedestrian forty yard dash time at the combine because he seems to play faster than that in games. Bortles is a decisive runner when flushed from the pocket and was also called on in zone read packages to get yards with his feet.

If you look at “rushing” stats for college QBs, you are making a mistake because their sack yardage is included. However, according to STATS Ice, Bortles scrambled 64 times for 442 yards and 6 TDs. He’s no Manziel, but he is clearly a threat with his feet when it comes to extending drives and making plays in the red area.

Final Analysis

Blake Bortles isn’t ready to be an NFL QB just yet and could have definitely benefitted from another year at UCF. However, when I watch him play, I see a QB who has areas that are “improvable”. While Manziel and Bridgewater can get better at certain aspects, I don’t see as much growth potential in their games as I see in Bortles’ game. Then again, that also means Bortles is clearly behind them as a QB at this point.

If you argue against Manziel because he played in a “system”, then you would have to do the same with Blake Bortles since 21% of his throws this year were behind the line of scrimmage and over 46% of his passing attempts came out of 4 WR sets which he won’t be utilizing in the NFL. I don’t buy into the “system” argument with Manziel or with Bortles because both guys proved they could make NFL throws and extend drives with their feet.

Bortles showed an ability to roll out and throw with accuracy. It is also worth noting that he didn’t show any recognizable tendencies for defenses to key on as his numbers were nearly identical when he threw to the left side of the field as when he threw to the right side of the field. The days of the “pocket sloth” QB is over and I’m sure teams will be excited by the fact that Bortles held up in the face of 6-man pressure and when he was pressured, he had the grit to tuck the ball and pick up unplanned yardage. It also helps that his size will make teams feel at least a little bit better about Bortles leaving the pocket.

While his interception total wasn’t ridiculously high at 9, a few of them had absolutely no business coming out of Bortles hand and the questions about what he was looking at and whether those mistakes are avoidable on the next level will have to be answered by teams who were able to interview him and take him through the film to get answers. I see the arm, however, to make the all of the NFL throws, but it is clear that he wasn’t generating enough of his power from his lower body. While that issue has been corrected since the season ended, we have to see if the corrections are repeatable.

If I had to guess, I think most teams who need a QB will have Bortles rated in the top two at that position thanks to his size, mobility and obvious ability to grow as a prospect. With Manziel, you have to let him do what he does best rather than harness him. With Bridgewater, he is more polished than the other two QBs but I don’t see much room for significant growth within the position. Bortles can play in multiple schemes,but it will take him longer to adapt to the NFL than the other two so he needs to land with a team who has some patience.

The SI 64, No. 15: QB Blake Bortles

Chris Burke

Excerpt:

No. 15: Blake Bortles, QB, UCFBio: It’s hard to say when the “Aha!” moment came for NFL scouts regarding Blake Bortles. Maybe when he fired three touchdown passes to help UCF win at Penn State last September. Maybe when Bortles fired a late touchdown pass to lead the Knights past Teddy Bridgewater’s Louisville team on the road. Or, perhaps, it hit with authority during the Fiesta Bowl, where Bortles rolled up 300 yards and three TDs in an upset of Baylor.

Bortles himself would argue that the victory over the Nittany Lions, then led by new Texans coach Bill O’Brien, was a turning point — both for his college career and for the ascending UCF program.

“When you have success of that magnitude, beating a school like Penn State, that’s kind of been a perennial powerhouse for however many years … and we’re UCF, who hasn’t been around very long and just got out of Conference USA, and you go up and beat Penn State in Penn State, that’s a huge task,” Bortles said. “That’s a huge accomplishment, so it definitely drew some attention, and we were able to keep that rolling throughout the year.”

The 6-foot-5, Ben Roethlisberger-esque Bortles finished the season with 3,581 yards passing, 25 touchdowns and just nine interceptions. Those numbers actually were not far off from what Bortles posted as a sophomore in 2012: 3,059 yards, 25 touchdowns, seven interceptions.

That UCF team, though, scored its biggest wins over the likes of East Carolina and SMU, while suffering two losses to Tulsa before winning a very low-profile Beef O’Brady’s Bowl game over Ball State.

Separating out team success from a quarterback’s abilities is one of the tougher assignments for NFL scouts, who will do their best to look beyond Bortles’ wins and losses. Still, his rise just so happened to correlate with a breakthrough season for the young UCF program. Bortles’ impact on that improvement cannot be understated.

“I wasn’t very highly recruited,” Bortles said. “I had four offers. Two were to play tight end, two were to play quarterback. So I was very grateful to Coach [George] O’Leary and UCF for giving me that opportunity. I wanted to repay him every way I could.”

For all his collegiate success, Bortles is very much viewed as a work in progress. The prospect of molding him into the next great NFL quarterback is one of the driving factors behind his rising draft stock over the past few months. Conversely, even O’Leary said in February that he does not see Bortles in the same class as an Andrew Luck — that Bortles, and every other QB in this year’s draft class, will need time to ease into a starting job.

“I think a franchise quarterback comes out once every 10 years, and he came out last year in Luck,” O’Leary told MaD Radio. “Blake has all the things you’re looking for in a quarterback as far as size and mental capacity to handle a lot of things. But that first year is tough because those guys are moving a lot faster than the college guys.”

Of course, a year ago no one viewed Bortles as a contender for the No. 1 overall pick. He did not waste any time altering that perception.

Strengths: Almost every pro-Bortles argument you hear will start with his size. Even though the Seahawks just won a Super Bowl with the comparatively diminutive Russell Wilson running the show, many teams still want QBs who fit Bortles’ 6-5, 232-pound build. He takes advantage of that height, keeping his eyes downfield and using a steady release to avoid having passes swatted at the line. Bortles also moves better than one might expect, both inside and outside the pocket.

Touch is there, especially in intermediate windows and to the sideline. Bortles really has no issues stepping up and resetting to throw, or sliding to his left or right and throwing with zip. Intangibles all are there, at least if his interviews and comments by his former teammates/coaches are to be believed — all of the latter speak glowingly of Bortles. He was not rattled by any situation, from road games at Ohio State and Penn State to the BCS bowl stage against Baylor.

Weaknesses: Decision-making needs to improve, as his INT numbers (16 total over the past two years) easily could have been higher. Sometimes drifts into a gunslinger-style approach, attempting to thread the needle, and he does not necessarily possess the arm strength to pull off all of those gambles. Can float some deep balls, too, a problem most noticeable when a pass rush rattles him. UCF’s offense will slow his adjustment to the NFL; it did not require him to make a ton of progression reads.

O’Leary’s comments about Bortles as a pro QB will be taken with a grain of salt, but we cannot dismiss completely Bortles’ college coach doubting his abilities to start as a rookie: remember, O’Brien (whose team has the No. 1 pick) has worked with O’Leary, so he is likely to pick the UCF coach’s brain.

Conclusion: There is an understandable and clear priority placed on quarterbacks in the draft. Is Bortles the best overall prospect? No. Is he worthy of the No. 1 pick, if Houston believes he’s the best QB and the best fit for their scheme? Probably.

Such is the dilemma with Bortles, who has the physical attributes, skill and upside to warrant a top-20 selection — hence his spot at No. 15 overall in our SI64 — but who is not as NFL-ready as Teddy Bridgewater and may not be as exciting a prospect as Johnny Manziel. The team that drafts Bortles can count on him to help lead a playoff push in 2016, ’17 and beyond … but might need someone else to do the job in 2014.

NFL player comparison: Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (1st round, 2004; Miami, Ohio)

2014 NFL draft: Blake Bortles ‘took over the room’ when meeting with JaguarsBryan Rose

Many have suggested that Blake Bortles will be the first quarterback selected during the 2014 NFL draft, and it appears as if the Jacksonville Jaguars are big fans of the UCF product.

According to Florida Times-Union Jaguars beat writer Ryan O’Halloran (via Jaguars blog Big Cat Country), Bortles “took over the room” during a meeting with team officials at the combine, and head coach Gus Bradley seemed to be quite fond of Bortles.

Big Cat Country @BigCatCountry

"[blake Bortles] took over the room when the #Jaguars met him in Indianapolis. Gus really liked him." -- @ryanohalloran on #JaguarsToday

With Jacksonville selecting third overall, the Jaguars would need the Houston Texans and St. Louis Rams to pass on Bortles, though we haven’t received much indication that either of those teams are eager to draft him. It’s within reason to believe he’ll be available come the third pick.

On the other end of Jacksonville’s search for quarterback help, the Jags don’t appear to be big fans of former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, according to O’Halloran (again, via Big Cat Country).

Big Cat Country @BigCatCountry

.@ryanohalloran said he'd be "shocked" if the #Jaguars took Johnny Manziel.

O’Halloran also suggested during the same radio interview on 1010XL/92.5 FM in Jacksonville that taking Sammy Watkins with the third selection would be a “no-brainer,” so Bortles is far from a lock even if he falls out of the top two selections.

Rotoworld:

An anonymous scout believes UCF QB Blake Bortles "has some of the same problems Blaine Gabbert had."
"(I) worry about the pinpoint accuracy," the scout said. "I see some passes on the back shoulder, some on the back hip, some thrown back to the inside on an out route. Can those things be coached up? Some people say they can, others say they can't." Comparing a QB prospect to Gabbert is as low as you can go in 2014, but is not the consensus view on Bortles. Bortles is undoubtedly raw, but has a far-more attractive overall game than Gabbert did coming out of Mizzou.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Rotoworld:

An anonymous scout believes UCF QB Blake Bortles "has some of the same problems Blaine Gabbert had."
"(I) worry about the pinpoint accuracy," the scout said. "I see some passes on the back shoulder, some on the back hip, some thrown back to the inside on an out route. Can those things be coached up? Some people say they can, others say they can't." Comparing a QB prospect to Gabbert is as low as you can go in 2014, but is not the consensus view on Bortles. Bortles is undoubtedly raw, but has a far-more attractive overall game than Gabbert did coming out of Mizzou.

I can't see that comparison unless you wanted him to fall... He might not set the world on fire, but he isn't Blaine Gabbert.

Rotoworld:

I can't see that comparison unless you wanted him to fall... He might not set the world on fire, but he isn't Blaine Gabbert.
He did say "some of the same problems". He didn't mention panicking at the slightest hint of pressure, real or imagined.

NFL Draft Under the Microscope: Central Florida QB Blake Bortles

Frank Schwab

Leading up to the NFL draft on May 8-10, Shutdown Corner will examine some of the most interesting prospects in the class, breaking down their strengths and weaknesses.

Blake Bortles

Quarterback

Central Florida

6-foot-5, 232 pounds

2013 stats: 259-of-382 (67.8 percent), 3,581 yards, 25 touchdowns, 9 interceptions, 272 rushing yards and 6 rushing touchdowns

40-yard dash: 4.93 seconds (official time at combine)

The good: You'd think that the success of Russell Wilson and Drew Brees would make folks less enamored with size at quarterback, but then there's Blake Bortles. Bortles' size will come up in the first few words of just about any scouting report on him. And while that's the first thing that stands out, he does bring a lot more to the table than just being 6-5. He moves extremely well for a man his size, which is why he ran 87 times each of his last two UCF seasons and did some read option. In fact it's a bit startling to see a quarterback of his size run so well, kind of like another UCF quarterback, Daunte Culpepper. UCF's second play of the Fiesta Bowl this past January was a read option that Bortles kept for a 29-yard gain. He rushed for 93 yards in that game, and won MVP honors. He's not being drafted as a runner, of course, and he can throw the ball too. He had 301 yards passing in that Fiesta Bowl, and 3,581 passing yards and 25 touchdowns on the season.

The bad: There seems to be some work to be done with Bortles, and now that quarterbacks like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Wilson have stepped right in and been stars from Week 1 of their rookie seasons on, NFL teams aren't going to be patient enough to wait for Bortles to sit and learn. He played in a shotgun, spread offense and made a lot of one-read throws, and he'll need to develop to be an all-around NFL quarterback. Bortles was asked at the combine about the perception that he needed some refinement to his game and will need more coaching than the other top quarterback prospects.

"I have no problem with that," Bortles said. "There’s no doubt I need coaching, I need help. I think everybody in the game does. There’s reasons why all these greats out there are continuing to play and continuing to work in the offseason and get coached. 100 percent, I need coaching, I need help and I’m going to work my butt off to do everything I can to be the best that I can be to help a team be the best that they can be."

Bortles has very good but not special arm strength. Just because he's built like a Jay Cutler doesn't mean he throws like him. Bortles came out of nowhere (two of his four FBS offers out of high school were to play tight end, and he didn't really start getting a lot of draft buzz until a few months ago) and in an ideal world he'd sit and learn for a while. That's probably not going to happen.

The verdict: Bortles, and not Johnny Manziel, is the biggest boom-or-bust quarterback who might go in the first round. Bortles might end up being the first quarterback taken, and could very well be the best of the group because he has tremendous physical skill. He looked very good last season in wins against Penn State, Louisville and Baylor and threw for 358 yards in a near-upset of South Carolina, so he has shown he can play well against good competition. However, the questions about him could prove to be very real. We don't know a ton about Bortles and how he'll develop. It's a riddle that some general manager is going to stake his job on later this week.

Rotoworld:

The MMQB's Peter King mocked UCF QB Blake Bortles to the Browns at No. 26, noting "I couldn't find a Bortles lover" when making calls around the league.
"One may be in hiding. We’ll see," King added. Bortles has frequently been mentioned as the top quarterback prospect in this class, as he fulfills the NFL's fantasy at the position. He and Johnny Manziel will likely duke it for the top pick at the position, but both might fall out of the top 10.

Source: The MMQB

Rotoworld:

Citing league sources, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Tuesday's On the Clock that the Titans have "a pretty good grade" on UCF QB Blake Bortles.
Mortensen conceded it's "really quiet with Blake Bortles" around the league, and indicated he doesn't expect the Vikings to pull the trigger at No. 8. If Minnesota passes, Mort pinpointed Tennessee at No. 11 overall as the next-likeliest destination. Bortles would presumably compete with incumbent Jake Locker for the Titans' starting job in training camp. Bortles and Locker are similar players at this stage of their respective careers, so we're not sure drafting Bortles would offer much of an upgrade for Tennessee's 2014 offense.

Related: Titans

Rotoworld:

Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports the Browns and Cardinals are interested in UCF QB Blake Bortles.
King had Bortles going to the Browns at No. 26 overall in his latest mock draft this week but tweeted out that the Browns and Cardinals are "interested higher than I had him." Cleveland also holds the No. 4 overall pick on Thursday night, while Arizona is in the No. 20 slot. Fourth would seem to be a bit high for Bortles at this point in the process, but this is one of the least predictable drafts in recent memory. The QB-to-Arizona hype has been picking up steam.

Related: Cardinals, Browns

Source: Peter King on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder stated on "On the Clock" Wednesday that his "sense is" Blake Bortles would be a more likely quarterback target for the Texans if they traded out of the No. 1 overall pick.
Werder seems to believe Houston has a legitimate chance of trading down, ostensibly with the Falcons. Atlanta would take Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1. Werder says Johnny Manziel and Bortles could both be in play for the Texans at No. 6, with Bortles as the likelier target. Coach Bill O'Brien has been reported to prefer a more prototypical-looking quarterback, as opposed to a sub-6-footer like Johnny Football. Bortles fits that mold at 6-foot-5 and 232 pounds.

Related: Texans, Falcons

Rotoworld:

Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports that if UCF QB Blake Bortles slips past the Vikings at No.8 the Cardinals would "attempt to move up."
"Speaking of Bortles, if he slides past the Minnesota Vikings at the eight spot look for the Arizona Cardinals to work the phones in an attempt to move up for a chance to select the quarterback," Pauline wrote. The Cardinals do need a quarterback of the future, but moving up in such a deep draft may not make sense with other immediate needs. Carson Palmer could be serviceable for the next two years, but if Arians feels Bortles could be his future signal caller and he's on the top of their board, than drafting the UCF prospect makes sense. If the Cardinals could stay put and have Bortles fall to them, it would be the ideal situation.

Source: TFY Draftinsider

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, UCF's Blake Bortles is the top quarterback on the Cowboys' draft board.
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler -- who is known to have Cowboys connections -- essentially confirmed RapSheet's assertion. Todd McShay's report that Johnny Manziel is the No. 1 player on Dallas' draft board has now been disputed by multiple media outlets. Manziel isn't even the team's top-rated quarterback. Per Adam Caplan, Bortles is also "believed to be" the top QB on the Raiders' board.

Related: Raiders, Cowboys

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Citing Peter King's mention of teams with QBs in their 30s possibly trading up for Blake Bortles, The MMQB's Greg A Bedard suggested the Broncos make some sense.
"Would be perfect Aaron Rodgers-like situation. Gives Bortles one, probably two years to get the work he needs to be a starter," Bedard tweeted. Our own Josh Norris mock the Broncos moving up with Miami at No. 19 to leapfrog the Cardinals to select Bortles. We have not forgotten about Brock Osweiler (contract is up after 2015), and understand the team's window to win might be short, but the fifth-year option and possible build similarities to Elway make it intriguing.

Source: Greg A Bedard on Twitter

Rotoworld;

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, UCF QB Blake Bortles "wouldn't be surprised" if the Browns selected him at No. 4.
Per sources "close to the quarterback," Bortles believes he "made a great connection with the Browns during the pre-draft process." SI's Peter King reported Tuesday that the Browns were interested in the UFC product. We'd guess the Browns are more interested in Bortles at No. 26 than No. 4, but he's unlikely to fall that far on Thursday evening.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Users who are viewing this thread