What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Battery Powered Lawn Gear (1 Viewer)

glvsav37

Footballguy
Anyone using battery powered lawn gear? I need a new weed whacker and I'm getting tired of the oil/gas mix, dirty equipment, winterizing, etc. Got about 1/3rd of an acre of lawn to trim. 

Points to consider:

• Power: of course, what are power tools with no power? 
• Scalability: No real pans to expand past this, but you never know. So having a wide range of good tools is cool. I already have 20v Dewalt screw gun, so thats an option. 
• Battery life: Dont want to have buy and charge multiple batteries
• Sexyness: how many granola chicks I can pull in by not using fossil fuels to keep my lawn trimmed (and theirs not) 

I'll turn in my man card now. 

I have a small yard, and found a battery powered weed whacker did just fine.  Plug it in after use, it's good to go for as long as I needed it.  And as you say, a lot less hassle than gas or corded.

Battery has held up for several summers now.

Have a battery powered weed walker, trimmer, and lawn mower.

Lawn mower and the weed wacker are decent enough. Get the job done. Would recommend both. 

The trimmer is absolute ####. Would not buy again or recommend. Doesn’t have the juice to cut anything, gets stuck a lot. Stopped using it.

I have an just over an acre. I’ve always been a bit of a snob when it came to battery powered lawn tools. 

Last year I bought a 40V blower and it has been one of my best purchases. I recently bought a 40V chainsaw to go with it. The chainsaw does most everything I need (less than 8”), but it doesn’t compare to the gas powered ones. 

I'm slowly shifting over to the battery powered.  I'm done with the gas stuff.    I've gone with the ryobi brand to be able to reuse the batteries between the different pieces.  Right now, I have the weed wacker, blower and just got a 10 inch chain saw.   Its just the 18v stuff and not the 40v, but it seems to be good enough.  I still have a gas blower and chainsaw for the bigger jobs, but if those go I'll probably go 40v for replacements and eventually just have everything be that.

I previously had the B&D 18V weed whacker and it's not very good. I just got the Ryobi 40V for $120 and does a great job. It's not as powerful as a gas version but the difference is small and worth it to me. It also is attachment capable so you can add a blower, pole saw, and others. I have about 1/4 acre and it has juice left when I'm done.

Battery powered lawnmower for a small yard....works great.   Probably getting a blower next....that’s all I need.   

Have this Ryobi trimmer - it does the job, but we have a very small yard now.  It also does a decent job of edging.

Have this blower and it's a beast (came with a power tool kit.) IF I had a larger yard I'd go with the Milwaukee trimmer.

I went with the Ego string trimmer and the Ego Hedge Trimmer.  Batteries interchange.  I typically get about 20 minutes per battery for the string trimmer.  Takes about 35 minutes for all of my yard trimming.  Hedge trimmer is decent, wife was cutting cords with the corded hedge trimmer.

I went thru 2 motors on the Black and Decker 24V string trimmer.

I have a Ryobi weed wacker and bought a chain saw last year.  Love them.  I hate the gas mixing rubish, and have zero small engine knowledge to do the little maintenance to keep them going.  I look at the battery powered stuff as recyclable and once they go, get rid of them.

I have a moderate sized yard, and the weed wacker holds up doing the whole yard.  The chain saw does the small stuff I need one for.  I'm not felling any 100 foot trees with it or anything though.

I got a black and decker lithium drill, and have bought a few other tools that work with the battery.  The sawzall & the blower.  The blower isn't too powerful, but it works good enough for me to not get my gas/oil blower running or replaced.

I'm still hesitant to buy a battery trimmer, or mower.  

I went with the Ego string trimmer and the Ego Hedge Trimmer.  Batteries interchange.  I typically get about 20 minutes per battery for the string trimmer.  Takes about 35 minutes for all of my yard trimming.  Hedge trimmer is decent, wife was cutting cords with the corded hedge trimmer.

I went thru 2 motors on the Black and Decker 24V string trimmer.
Have an Ego string trimmer & blower. Love them. More than enough power. No yanking the pull cord to start, no gas, no engine maintenance - so easy.

They sell pre-mix now that is much easier to deal with.  All of my equipment runs fantastic on it.
Well, it's not that mixing the gas is all that hard.  But, going out to the garage, seeing you are low and needing to run to the gas station (or hardware store in this case) to get more just adds another task on to the job.  Grabbing the battery off the charger and clicking it in place is infinitely easier.  Turning it on in the spring is no different than turning it on for the 10th time in the summer.  No winterizing needing. Etc etc.

I have used a homelite battery operated lawn mower for 6 years now and am hoping to get a seventh year out of it.  The nice thing about it is that it is quiet, relative to a gas mower.  this allows me to mow at times I previously would not have for worry about disturbing my neighbors.  I like that.  the downsides are that it is only 20 inches so it takes more passes.  also the batteries need replacing every two or three years, depending on care taken.  also this brand is not well made, the plastic lever on it easily breaks.  I have a postage stamp sized yard so it works.  I get about 45 minutes to an hour out of a charge which handles my lawn.  I probably only have about 2000 sq. ft. of grass, the rest of my place is otherwise landscaped. The remainder of my yard tools are corded electric.  I do not find the cords on them the same inconvenience I found on a mower. 

The Homelite was Home Depot house brand.  My next one may be something a bit higher end than this very minimal mower, but maybe not.  At my Mountain property I go with the vigor of gas powered equipment.

I bought a battery trimmer/edger a few years back and I love it.  It's a Toro similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-51484-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Electric/dp/B007M8LKKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526061037&sr=8-2&keywords=toro+cordless+trimmer

I have a decent size yard and I drain the battery every once in awhile if I weedeat and edge everything.  But that is less of an inconvenience to me that dealing with the gas/oil crap and not sometimes not starting stuff that I previously dealt with.

I am still using a gas powered mower (Honda) because it's rock solid and I'll run that until it dies.

I've got a big 2.5 acre yard.  It's ALL yard (no woods) and a lot of landscaping - I'd love to try a battery powered string trimmer, but just haven't had the guts to try.

With that said, and having no woods, I did get an Echo Battery Powered Chainsaw last year.  It's FANTASTIC.  Plenty of power, and runs a long time.  It'll usually cut longer than I have stamina for.  I have 75 15' white pines around my back property line - the deer ate all the branches up to about 5', so I had to go back and trim them.  Easily a dumpster full of branches.  The battery saw worked perfectly.  Best part, as soon as you take your finger off, it stops.  Pull the trigger, it starts again.  No more sputtering or re-starting.

Just bought this guy at HD for $175. Thanks for the suggestion. My only issue is that its is fixed unit and some other units let you change out heads w/o having to buy the whole motor side. But it got great reviews so i figure it was a 1-1- with my current trimmer so no biggie. The Ego universal is big enough for me to expand it later on.  

I've got a big 2.5 acre yard.  It's ALL yard (no woods) and a lot of landscaping - I'd love to try a battery powered string trimmer, but just haven't had the guts to try.

With that said, and having no woods, I did get an Echo Battery Powered Chainsaw last year.  It's FANTASTIC.  Plenty of power, and runs a long time.  It'll usually cut longer than I have stamina for.  I have 75 15' white pines around my back property line - the deer ate all the branches up to about 5', so I had to go back and trim them.  Easily a dumpster full of branches.  The battery saw worked perfectly.  Best part, as soon as you take your finger off, it stops.  Pull the trigger, it starts again.  No more sputtering or re-starting.
one of the reasons I wanted to start going the electric/battery route. My wife is off in the summer and will sometimes do the lawn, and I'm always get calls from her asking "how the hell do i start this thing??!!!" 

one of the reasons I wanted to start going the electric/battery route. My wife is off in the summer and will sometimes do the lawn, and I'm always get calls from her asking "how the hell do i start this thing??!!!" 
So my wife won't ever be in the yard using power equipment.  Consider yourself lucky there.

My issue was my almost-4-year-old LOVES yard work and always wants to be out when I'm working.  I previously wouldn't use a chainsaw with him around because I was afraid to set it down idling.  I feel safer with the electric, especially since it has a safety trigger.

So my wife won't ever be in the yard using power equipment.  Consider yourself lucky there.

My issue was my almost-4-year-old LOVES yard work and always wants to be out when I'm working.  I previously wouldn't use a chainsaw with him around because I was afraid to set it down idling.  I feel safer with the electric, especially since it has a safety trigger.
yea, cant complain about that, oldest of 2 girls so she was sort of dads helper growing up and has a small tom boy streak in her. 

plus, i figure if I make it even easier, she might do it more often.  :brush:

I had a gas-powered trimmer and a plug-in trimmer.  I was sick of dealing with the gas/oil mixture, it would leak if not propped up in the correct way, and at times would get finicky starting up.  The plug-in works way better.  Granted my yard is of the size that I can run an extension cord but this wouldn't work at all on acreage.  

I also have a plug-in mower that works okay (was sitting on the sidewalk with a free sign on it, so I can't complain).  The power output is definitely less than my old gas mower, but as long as my lawn is mowed regularly it's way easier to use.  My gas mower was 30 years old and was a pain to start and keep running.  The electric is a breeze, just pull the lever and it starts right up regardless of how cold it is outside.

The plug-in looks goofy AF, but is way easier to use and maintain than the gas counterparts.

Took the Ego weed trimmer out for a spin when I got home from work Friday night and was very impressed. I only had about 1/2 of a charge on the battery but this puppy made quick work of my high grass...and it was high. Because of a recent new addition to our house, our front lawn is ripped up through the middle. Only grass is mainly on one side with a small patch on the other. It's not worth bringing my mower over there, so I used the Ego and it cleaned it all nicely. Love the easy start and stop. No noise or idle when not using it. 

So far very happy with this purchase. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Walked into HD today for some concrete patch and walked out with an Ego 21' self propelled lawn mower that was a floor model on sale for 50% off. Was orig $550 and got it for $275 with everything included. Only prob is they couldn't seem to find the 7.5Ah battery so they gave me the 5.0ah. one. I'm gonna just sell that and buy the bigger one. My old mower was really on its way out. Now I have 2 Ego units. 

Users who are viewing this thread