What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arthur Smith’s Stone Age Offense 2023 (1 Viewer)

Tivoli

Footballguy
How many carries/snaps will Bijan see in 2023? You would think in this run offense a lot but if and when the Falcons have the lead mid 3rd quarter to early 4th quarter, I think you’re going to see a lot of Tyler Allegier.

I hope the superb Falcons offensive line stays healthy.

So, the title of this thread is what I believed, prior to reading Warren Sharps chapter about the Falcons. Suffice to say it was the single biggest surprise of the off-season to me.

As for Bijan, I think he will eat plenty.

I think he would’ve loved to pass more but Mariota was god awful. Not sure if Ridder will be an upgrade, but if he is I fully expect a more balanced offense. Bijan will be a workhorse either way

All I got to add here is that Atlanta is not an overly exciting team to watch but the way they have constructed their roster, most notably that they are easily at the forefront of paying top dollar and draft capital to non-premium positions and keep preaching "position-less" football makes them to me the most interesting team next season. I may not agree with their plan but Art and Fontenot strike me as highly football intelligent people and I'm very keen on seeing how their plan unfolds.

wh
How many carries/snaps will Bijan see in 2023? You would think in this run offense a lot but if and when the Falcons have the lead mid 3rd quarter to early 4th quarter, I think you’re going to see a lot of Tyler Allegier.

what was so surprising?

So, the title of this thread is what I believed, prior to reading Warren Sharps chapter about the Falcons. Suffice to say it was the single biggest surprise of the off-season to me.

As a Falcon fan, I’m likely more skeptical of how the Falcons are building their roster than Sharp, but I respect his opinion and he is fairly bullish on the them.

However…Ridder is likely to be more Marcus Mariota than Jalen Hurts. He may not be as bad…but his next game will be his 5th NFL game started and the history of Day 2 QB picks turning into something, at least this upcoming season, is sparse. Ridder is not the runner MM was, but I suspect those carries will be picked up by BiJan.

But I don’t know how much more upside there was to exploit in the Falcons run game. The Falcons were 4th in RB touches, 5th in YFS last year. And that doesn’t include the 101 rushes at the QB position. So are the Falcons going to really start putting points up on the board?

Also, for as ’easy’ a schedule the Falcons are forecasted to have, the QB’s they face in ‘23 are likely to be better. Here are 10 that started against them last year and they still finished 25th in points against.

PJ Walker (2)
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Tyler Huntley
David Blough
Taylor Heinicke
Kenny Pickett
Justin Fields
Jacoby Brissett

Ultimately, I think the Saints are a better team all around…and while JMO, too many people are sleeping on the Panthers.

Couuld see the Falcons in the 7-10/8-9 range and even long term, I just think this ‘rebuild’ is a March toward being very mid.

Also, for as ’easy’ a schedule the Falcons are forecasted to have, the QB’s they face in ‘23 are likely to be better. Here are 10 that started against them last year and they still finished 25th in points against.

PJ Walker (2)
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Tyler Huntley
David Blough
Taylor Heinicke
Kenny Pickett
Justin Fields
Jacoby Brissett
That is quite the list of bad QBs, wow.

I'm intrigued by how the Falcons do. Smith seems like a good coach in a lot of ways and their run game should be awesome. That defense and the Ridder are going to hold them back mightily though. They'll be a team competitive in a lot of games that they ultimately lose IMO

As a Falcon fan, I’m likely more skeptical of how the Falcons are building their roster than Sharp, but I respect his opinion and he is fairly bullish on the them.

However…Ridder is likely to be more Marcus Mariota than Jalen Hurts. He may not be as bad…but his next game will be his 5th NFL game started and the history of Day 2 QB picks turning into something, at least this upcoming season, is sparse. Ridder is not the runner MM was, but I suspect those carries will be picked up by BiJan.

But I don’t know how much more upside there was to exploit in the Falcons run game. The Falcons were 4th in RB touches, 5th in YFS last year. And that doesn’t include the 101 rushes at the QB position. So are the Falcons going to really start putting points up on the board?

PJ Walker (2)
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Tyler Huntley
David Blough
Taylor Heinicke
Kenny Pickett
Justin Fields
Jacoby Brissett

Ultimately, I think the Saints are a better team all around…and while JMO, too many people are sleeping on the Panthers.

Couuld see the Falcons in the 7-10/8-9 range and even long term, I just think this ‘rebuild’ is a March toward being very mid.
Ridder will be better than Mariota if he can limit the soul-crushing, critically timed turnovers. That was absolutely Mariota's undoing last season.

I think he'll be "this close" to running Bijan into the ground.
I don't expect a committee.
There might be, probably some resemblance of a committee early on as the rookie gets pulled to coach up a mistake, but I expect it to be the Bijan show soon enough.

I'd put Patterson in over Algeier if he's subbing for a back to punch one in.
You can disagree of course but if it's a debate, see he's not even the assured top backup spot.

I don't know where the 4th Q stuff comes from. Coughlin and Bradshaw?

PJ Walker (2)
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Tyler Huntley
David Blough
Taylor Heinicke
Kenny Pickett
Justin Fields
Jacoby Brissett

I'm intrigued by how the Falcons do. Smith seems like a good coach in a lot of ways and their run game should be awesome. That defense and the Ridder are going to hold them back mightily though. They'll be a team competitive in a lot of games that they ultimately lose IMO
They added a ton of new players to the D the last two years. I don't know who is washed up and who still has potential but they've finally got some depth too.
Love Pees and any coordinator change concerns me, but I'd guess they're a good D next year.
I've got them as the most improved team

PJ Walker (2)
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Tyler Huntley
David Blough
Taylor Heinicke
Kenny Pickett
Justin Fields
Jacoby Brissett

They added a ton of new players to the D the last two years. I don't know who is washed up and who still has potential but they've finally got some depth too.
Love Pees and any coordinator change concerns me, but I'd guess they're a good D next year.
Their big FA signings this off-season were Jessie Bates, Kaden Ellis and David Onyemata In terms of multiyear deals. They also signed Calais Campbell and Bud Dupree to 1 year deals. With the exception of Bates/Ellis, all will be 31 years old (or older) this season. Grady Jarrett, their best defensive player, also is on the wrong side of 30. Bates is certainly a good signing, but Ellis has essentially had one good half season as a pro.

While I’m someone who lamented the Falcons not drafting Justin Fields when they had the chance, going TE/WR in 21/22 instead of say Micah Parsons and Jordan Davis given the Falcons apparent desire to NOT pass the ball that frequently feels like an out of sync rebuild. Does this defense feel like it has enough core personnel to be a long term above average unit? I just don’t see it. Coupled with the prayer that seems to be the Falcons hope that Ridder can be an upper echelon QB…I’m bearish long term here.

PJ Walker (2)
Andy Dalton
Jameis Winston
Tyler Huntley
David Blough
Taylor Heinicke
Kenny Pickett
Justin Fields
Jacoby Brissett

Their big FA signings this off-season were Jessie Bates, Kaden Ellis and David Onyemata In terms of multiyear deals. They also signed Calais Campbell and Bud Dupree to 1 year deals. With the exception of Bates/Ellis, all will be 31 years old (or older) this season. Grady Jarrett, their best defensive player, also is on the wrong side of 30. Bates is certainly a good signing, but Ellis has essentially had one good half season as a pro.

While I’m someone who lamented the Falcons not drafting Justin Fields when they had the chance, going TE/WR in 21/22 instead of say Micah Parsons and Jordan Davis given the Falcons apparent desire to NOT pass the ball that frequently feels like an out of sync rebuild. Does this defense feel like it has enough core personnel to be a long term above average unit? I just don’t see it. Coupled with the prayer that seems to be the Falcons hope that Ridder can be an upper echelon QB…I’m bearish long term here.
And Okudah. I can definitely imagine someone not being a fan or thinks he'll turn it around.

Last year a stud athlete MLB/ILB that used to be a QB. He looked questionable early then came in, so typical rookie progression.

I like one year veteran deals. Can't fill every spot in the draft, plug someone in to buy time. Dupree is a prove it deal while Campbell is probably "what's left in the tank."

Bates is going to be Byard I'm sure- Outfielder and helping when the CBs fail but if an offense isn't keeping him busy he may freelance and create a big play.

They have had their DT beast. They needed more pieces that can play off that. I think they did that well. Name ten other Rams DL since Aaron Donald came into the league? Other Titans DL since Simmons? It's been a long time decent DL build theory- start with the gem.

All the one year vets can be replaced next draft/fa if necessary but at least now they've been able to fill the starting spots and some depth spots with solid players. Instead of constantly compensating and covering weaknesses, they can just play ball.

Users who are viewing this thread