What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are the DUI laws a joke? (3 Viewers)

KCitons said:
pittstownkiller said:
KCitons said:
pittstownkiller said:
KCitons said:
And there you have it. If I point out the problems with people failing to follow laws and expect a stricter penalty for repeat offenders, then I must be in favor of a police state. How about just a state where people take the well being of others into consideration instead their own selfish desires?

I know it's completely impossible, I'm delusional and it would never happen. But, I could argue, why do we have laws at all? If people did the right thing every time, we wouldn't need them.

But since you mentioned it. Why do cars go 100 miles an hour? No state has a speed limit above 75? Is it necessary? Does it serve any purpose other than tempting someone with no self control to speed?

It's the same as putting a plate of cookies in front of a 3 year old. If you tell him he can have "some" and then walk away, the kid will eat all but one. If you tell him he can have two, then he knows the limits that he needs to stay within. Why can't adults understand limits and rules if a 3 year old can?
If your desire is to create a society where it is nearly impossible to transgress upon it, then I think you are firmly inside the definition of a "police state". I think the consideration of others should take into account their desires, not just yours.
I think it is everyone's desire to live a long and prosperous life. So how is living in an unselfish world a police state? I could turn this back on you and say that you want to eliminate all laws and live in country/state were people are free to do as they please without penalty. You also keep ignoring the point about the severity of the penalty being increase for second offenses? Your statement about a society where being impossible to transgress upon, is incorrect. People make mistakes, if it happens a second time, it's no longer a mistake. I would call it intentional. Or perhaps it should be each person decides their own laws. As I already mentioned, if your spouse cheats on you once, you may try to work things out. But if he/she cheats a second time, the gloves are off. Why is this acceptable behavior between two people, but we don't expect the same between repeat offenders within our justice system?

The other thread about the teacher kissing girls on the forehead at camp discusses vigilante justice. Some suggest that the father kick the teachers ###. Strange how we choose to go overboard in punishment without the guidance of the legal system. But when we have an ability to inform, rehabilitate or discipline through the legal system, everyone becomes offended.
This is where my simplistic/simpleton comment comes in to play. Who said there should be no laws or punishments; I said trying to force a "civilized" society is akin to a police state. Why not have monitors everywhere to keep you in line by your thinking? I am glad that you are so open to inspection of your conduct, that you do not mind any sort of limitations on intrusive government, but what is so "unselfish" about that when you want to dictate it to others?
Gotcha, I misunderstood what you were saying. I can't argue with you on the fact that I am a simpleton. I was raised with the belief in helping other people, just for the sake of helping other people. Oddly, those qualities are believed to be a sign of weakness or "simple" using your word.

Would the world be a better place if everyone did the right thing all the time? I'm sure some would argue that it wouldn't be a very fun place. But all to often, the fun comes at the expense of other people.

The thing that you keep forgetting, is that we are not discussing whether or not there should be laws for DUI, or speeding, or texting and driving. What we are discussing is the penalties for those people that refuse to follow the laws that are already established. I'm not being selfish to expect second offenders to learn from their prior mistakes.
no, it means you're dumb
That would be your opinion. And I can't change that.

But, I would much rather be a dumb simpleton, than a bully.

Have another nice day Larry.

Just wanted to give an update to this story. I can confirm that DUI laws are in fact, a joke. (at least in my state)

FIL went to court this morning. Received 5 months in the county jail, $1000 fine and license suspension for 15 years. The judge told him he evidently has a drinking problem, but failed to court order any alcohol assistance program. Judge also made reference to this technically being his 4th offense in the state of Nebraska. (3 within the 15 year window)

If a person is willing to drive while double the legal limit, then he will have no problem driving with a suspended license.

When do we start filing lawsuits against judges when a multiple dui convicted driver kills someone? Someone needs to take responsibility.
Another Update, according to my MIL, my FIL will be released on Sept 9th, due to good behavior. If so, he will serve less than 90 days.

Again, the only penalty with longevity for this 3rd offense is 15 years license suspension. With him being over 70, I doubt he will live long enough to serve that entire term either.

Just wanted to give an update to this story. I can confirm that DUI laws are in fact, a joke. (at least in my state)

FIL went to court this morning. Received 5 months in the county jail, $1000 fine and license suspension for 15 years. The judge told him he evidently has a drinking problem, but failed to court order any alcohol assistance program. Judge also made reference to this technically being his 4th offense in the state of Nebraska. (3 within the 15 year window)

If a person is willing to drive while double the legal limit, then he will have no problem driving with a suspended license.

When do we start filing lawsuits against judges when a multiple dui convicted driver kills someone? Someone needs to take responsibility.
Another Update, according to my MIL, my FIL will be released on Sept 9th, due to good behavior. If so, he will serve less than 90 days.

Again, the only penalty with longevity for this 3rd offense is 15 years license suspension. With him being over 70, I doubt he will live long enough to serve that entire term either.
So, he's been in jail for 3 months, without actually hurting anyone, and you think this is a light sentence?

So, he's been in jail for 3 months, without actually hurting anyone, and you think this is a light sentence?
Yes, considering that he served 90 days for his second offense.

Would you consider 90 days and a 15 year suspended license for a 3rd speeding offense to be light? After all, both being intoxicated and speeding increase the risk to other drivers and both are traffic violations.

Would you consider 90 days and a 15 year suspended license for a 3rd speeding offense to be light? After all, both being intoxicated and speeding increase the risk to other drivers and both are traffic violations.
I've posted my considerations through this entire thread. Not much more to say. Just wanted to update my FIL's status. The only difference between his second offense and third offense was the suspended license.

Another update to the frustration.

FIL gets out tomorrow morning (a day earlier than I thought) Seems odd that they release people on a Sunday. Anyway, he calls my MIL yesterday and tells her that he gets released about 9AM. They have a customer appreciation brunch to attend for a local business (of which they are friends). He instructs my MIL to pack a cooler with a six pack and pick up a pack of cigarettes. I know my MIL is an enabler in this situation. However, she had a stroke a few years ago, and she does everything she can to avoid confrontation and only wants to please people.

Wish the state could have forced him into some type of long term program. The guy needs help. It will only be a matter of time before he feels it's necessary to drive.

What I have seen happen here in MA is a much, much stiffer prison sentence... then the offender is given an option of serving the jail time or going to what is basically a state-sponsored recovery boot camp that lasts something like 2 years, full-time, live-in. Wash out of the recovery program, and off to jail you go... and the recovery program is no walk in the park, either, but it's better than jail.

FIL gets out tomorrow morning (a day earlier than I thought) Seems odd that they release people on a Sunday. Anyway, he calls my MIL yesterday and tells her that he gets released about 9AM. They have a customer appreciation brunch to attend for a local business (of which they are friends). He instructs my MIL to pack a cooler with a six pack and pick up a pack of cigarettes. I know my MIL is an enabler in this situation. However, she had a stroke a few years ago, and she does everything she can to avoid confrontation and only wants to please people.

Wish the state could have forced him into some type of long term program. The guy needs help. It will only be a matter of time before he feels it's necessary to drive.
Why?

Why?
Every other state and federal entity is closed on Sundays. I wouldn't be able to go to the court house on Sunday to pull a construction permit, or go to the DMV to license a vehicle. I'm sure there is some amount of processing that needs to be done to release a prisoner.

Why?
Every other state and federal entity is closed on Sundays. I wouldn't be able to go to the court house on Sunday to pull a construction permit, or go to the DMV to license a vehicle. I'm sure there is some amount of processing that needs to be done to release a prisoner.
Prisons don't close on Sunday.

Why?
Prisons don't close on Sunday.
Nope, they are closed every day.

Would you want a much harsher sentence if this individual was your actual father and not just your FIL?

Would you want a much harsher sentence if this individual was your actual father and not just your FIL?
I know it's a long thread and some people may not go back to read all of it. Without hesitation, yes. If it was my father, mother, wife, or kid. It does not matter to me. A third offense DUI (actually 4 in the past 20 years), at 2 o'clock in the afternoon and being double the limit, has no excuses in my book. It's either a cry for help, or someone that has zero regard for other people.

I would hope that my kid would listen to me after the 1st offense. At the point of the second offense, I would give the option of having me in their life, along with some assistance for their alcohol problem. Or, they can proceed alone.

If it was my wife, I would let her know that her decisions are effecting us emotionally, as well as financially. After the second offense, I would give her the option of me or alcohol.

With my father, I would assume that there would be a different dynamic. Being, my elder and a person that is suppose to garner my respect, I would assume he doesn't care what I have to say. (the same reaction that I received from my FIL) I would explain to my father that his 16 and 17 year old grandchildren are driving on the same streets as him. It's time to think about other people. I would also push to have him join some type of program to help himself. After the second offense, I would walk away and not look back.

For those that want to point out that you should always be there for your family. How has my FIL been there for my MIL these last three months?

someone that has zero regard for other people.
You've stated that your FIL has not harmed anyone on the road. So this statement just doesn't hold. You obviously think the risks he's taking are much larger than he does, and his lack of accidents harming others supports his position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get the google automated driver thing installed in your car. Turn it on when you are too drunk to drive home.

dparker713 said:
KCitons said:
You've stated that your FIL has not harmed anyone on the road. So this statement just doesn't hold. You obviously think the risks he's taking are much larger than he does, and his lack of accidents harming others supports his position.
I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread (I don't fault you for not ready all of it). But, what do you suppose would happen if I set a target up on one side of a playground (or park) and stood on the other side with my a rifle and took target practice? I'm a pretty good shot and could probably make quite a few shots without hitting any of the kids. What if I was an expert marksman, or a marine sniper? Do you think the law would take into account that I was able to successfully shoot a rifle through a playground and not hit anyone?

What do you suppose would happen to me when I get caught doing this for the 3rd time? It's obvious that I'm not going to stop on my own.

Same people who want stiffer penalties for DDs are the same ones who talk and text and kill more people than DDs, but they get off scott free. While a DD goes to jail for getting pulled over under the influence. Makes sense to me :bs: :2cents:

dparker713 said:
KCitons said:
I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread (I don't fault you for not ready all of it). But, what do you suppose would happen if I set a target up on one side of a playground (or park) and stood on the other side with my a rifle and took target practice? I'm a pretty good shot and could probably make quite a few shots without hitting any of the kids. What if I was an expert marksman, or a marine sniper? Do you think the law would take into account that I was able to successfully shoot a rifle through a playground and not hit anyone?

What do you suppose would happen to me when I get caught doing this for the 3rd time? It's obvious that I'm not going to stop on my own.
This is a ridiculous analogy that has so many flaws that I'd need to write several paragraphs on why its inadequate. I've no intention of doing that however, so I'll dismiss it out of hand.

My original point stands however, your belief that your FIL driving drunk is so dangerous that he can only do it if he no regard for others is contrary to the available evidence.

dparker713 said:
KCitons said:

This is a ridiculous analogy that has so many flaws that I'd need to write several paragraphs on why its inadequate. I've no intention of doing that however, so I'll dismiss it out of hand.

My original point stands however, your belief that your FIL driving drunk is so dangerous that he can only do it if he no regard for others is contrary to the available evidence.
Do you understand how a conversation works?

Based on your argument, we should change all laws to allow for punishment only when the crime effects someone. Therefor we should do away with punishing people for:

Drive by shootings, unless the bullet doesn't impact person or property

Speeding, unless it results in an accident. (actually all traffic laws should be this way. Driving on sidewalks will become the new norm)

Prostitution, unless it leads to someone gets an STD, rolled, or killed.

Seat belt and helmet laws, unless the person is injured or killed. They could pin the ticket to corpse.

dparker713 said:
KCitons said:

Based on your argument, we should change all laws to allow for punishment only when the crime effects someone. Therefor we should do away with punishing people for:

Speeding, unless it results in an accident. (actually all traffic laws should be this way. Driving on sidewalks will become the new norm)

Seat belt and helmet laws, unless the person is injured or killed. They could pin the ticket to corpse.
Way to completely misstate my viewpoint while also ignoring my post. Try again.

dparker713 said:
KCitons said:

Way to completely misstate my viewpoint while also ignoring my post. Try again.
Way to completely ignore my viewpoint. Sorry, but If I wanted to hold both sides of the conversation, I would save myself the typing. Either refute or run along.

KCitons said:
Why don't we just install IID/breathalyzers into every car?
Because you can't punish the innocent.
Consider it a safety feature like seatbelts, air bags, or the computer chips that help you steer or brake in emergencies.

If you don't try to drink and drive.... you're innocent and you get to start your car. How many deaths/accidents would we prevent if every car on the road had this safety feature?

Wouldn't most of you sleep better at night with your children or spouse on the road, knowing the chances of a drunk driver killing them is very very slim if every car had one installed?

Why?
Prisons/jails are open 24/7/365. It's pretty much a necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why?
Perhaps in a county jail setting. But have you ever seen a person sentenced on a Saturday or Sunday and get carted off?

Why?
Perhaps in a county jail setting. But have you ever seen a person sentenced on a Saturday or Sunday and get carted off?
Have you never heard of weekend release?

Yes I have heard of it. No, I don't agree with it. Again, if I can't get my drivers license renewed on a Saturday, why should a criminal get released?

We should do away with anything that makes a criminals stay more pleasant. It appears that a stay in jail may be more enjoyable then living in their own homes.

Yes I have heard of it. No, I don't agree with it. Again, if I can't get my drivers license renewed on a Saturday, why should a criminal get released?

We should do away with anything that makes a criminals stay more pleasant. It appears that a stay in jail may be more enjoyable then living in their own homes.
:lmao:

Well, Whitey Bulger doesn't agree with this. "Jail and prisons are a dead end" he says in his most recent letter from behind bars. I doubt Aaron Hernandez is quite a comfy in his 48sf home as he was in his 4800sf home.

Why?
I have clients that begin their jail or prison sentences on a weekend day all the time. The courts don't need to be open for that. And, in actuality, the courts usually are open for court on the weekends.

So have the guys with the DUIs pay for the installation in their car(s).
:lmao:

For every licensed person? Standard install of these things is about 200 bucks in my jurisdiction, plus 75/month maintenance and monitoring. They are also a pretty legitimate potential civil liability because they can distract a driver. So insurance would be needed

So.... we're probably looking at about 2k/licensed driver/year. So we're gonna fine a person convicted of DUI, oh, a 100k? And you think we could collect that? Presently courts are struggling to collect the 5kish fine lots of DUI defendants get now.

You're insane.

Consider it a safety feature like seatbelts, air bags, or the computer chips that help you steer or brake in emergencies.

If you don't try to drink and drive.... you're innocent and you get to start your car. How many deaths/accidents would we prevent if every car on the road had this safety feature?

Wouldn't most of you sleep better at night with your children or spouse on the road, knowing the chances of a drunk driver killing them is very very slim if every car had one installed?
Would I sleep better? Sure. Is that worth as much as it'd cost me to install and keep maintained? Hell no.

Would I sleep better? Sure. Is that worth as much as it'd cost me to install and keep maintained? Hell no.
I can't speak for him, but I imagine he was referring to having it installed as standard equipment on all new cars being produced. Economies of scale could drastically reduce the overall cost of initial installation. As for maintenance... :shrug:

That said, I would not support the idea.

You're insane.
How so? I didn't say prison, I said jail. My FIL was able to watch the football game last night while in the pokey. Some dirt bags can't afford cable. Or air conditioning. Or a decent meal.

Sounds pretty crazy to me.

You're insane.
How so? I didn't say prison, I said jail. My FIL was able to watch the football game last night while in the pokey. Some dirt bags can't afford cable. Or air conditioning. Or a decent meal.

:sigh:

First off, most inmates strongly prefer prison to jail. I'd say about 95%. I'm sure it sounds weird, but there's actually more "freedoms" in prison and the inmates' mentality in prison vs. jail is just so much more calm and stagnant that it makes the time easier. But that's neither here nor there.

Second, is it possible that someone would choose/prefer to be in jail? Sure. There are a couple homeless people out there in cold climates who may "choose" to prolong their stays in jail to literally weather a run of crappy weather. But that may make up less than .01% of the inmates. So again, that's irrelevant an is the exception to the rule.

What makes me call you insane is your complete lack of disregard or understanding for the mental anguish of having no choices and your movement restricted. You're never alone. You walk around with guards who control your every move. There's a certain etiquette you must follow. You cannot call whenever you like or whomever you like. Your meals may be hot, but they'll taste like #### and meet only a minimum caloric amount. Sure, you may get to catch a game on a ####ty little TV with 30 guys watching it with you who may beat you up for cheering for the wrong team. Even if you get a controlled climate, some food, and a glimpse of the game, I assure you there is nothing "enjoyable" about this.

When you think about it, there is already a crude invention that can help a drunk driver. It allows them to sit back while the car travels from point A to point B safely. It's cheap, doesn't require retrofitting your current vehicle and it can be used only when the person needs it.

It's called a Taxi Cab.

You're insane.

First off, most inmates strongly prefer prison to jail. I'd say about 95%. I'm sure it sounds weird, but there's actually more "freedoms" in prison and the inmates' mentality in prison vs. jail is just so much more calm and stagnant that it makes the time easier. But that's neither here nor there.

Second, is it possible that someone would choose/prefer to be in jail? Sure. There are a couple homeless people out there in cold climates who may "choose" to prolong their stays in jail to literally weather a run of crappy weather. But that may make up less than .01% of the inmates. So again, that's irrelevant an is the exception to the rule.

What makes me call you insane is your complete lack of disregard or understanding for the mental anguish of having no choices and your movement restricted. You're never alone. You walk around with guards who control your every move. There's a certain etiquette you must follow. You cannot call whenever you like or whomever you like. Your meals may be hot, but they'll taste like #### and meet only a minimum caloric amount. Sure, you may get to catch a game on a ####ty little TV with 30 guys watching it with you who may beat you up for cheering for the wrong team. Even if you get a controlled climate, some food, and a glimpse of the game, I assure you there is nothing "enjoyable" about this.
I know, we don't agree on this and you see my opinions as completely off base. I'm ok with that, I don't need your approval to make it through the day.

This thread is seven pages of how I feel about the problem of drinking and driving. And, on how it has effected our family through my FIL's addiction. If you believe that anything you say is going to change how I feel, then you are wasting time. It won't change.

Not sure what else I can say on this, so I will just hang up and listen. Hopefully, I won't have to update with any further news.

KCitons said:
Zow said:
KCitons said:
Zow said:

You're insane.

I know, we don't agree on this and you see my opinions as completely off base. I'm ok with that, I don't need your approval to make it through the day.

This thread is seven pages of how I feel about the problem of drinking and driving. And, on how it has effected our family through my FIL's addiction. If you believe that anything you say is going to change how I feel, then you are wasting time. It won't change.

Not sure what else I can say on this, so I will just hang up and listen. Hopefully, I won't have to update with any further news.
Fair enough. But you understand what I'm coming from, right? While I don't make the laws, DUI practice is a large part of my career. I probably work on a DUI case in some form or fashion every single work day. I get to experience them from the vantage point of a wide variety of defendants (from the one-time stupid mistake otherwise rockstar college student to the lifetime drunk), get to see firsthand some of the horrible damages it causes (think cross-examining a victim injured in the DUI my client has alleged to have committed is fun or trying to explain to someone that his friend didn't make it in their roll-over accident is a hoot?), and spend a large portion of my time essentially trying to work out a resolution to a bunch of similar yet unique cases with a prosecutor and a judge? Through all this I'd like to think that a good amount of justice and fairness is done.

So, when you create a thread and consistently assert opinions which are just completely baseless, can you understand how I may take that as an affront and correct you? And I'm not doing it so much as to try to change your mind but instead to counter any goofy claim or assertion you may have so others can understand its context.

Trust me though when I say your feelings are not uncommon. Most people, when given the chance to give their opinions, think the criminal laws are too lenient, especially when applied to someone they don't like (like you clearly dislike your FIL). However, not coincidentally, those people always think the laws when applied to them or a loved one are way too harsh and unfair.

In short, I get and respect where you're coming from, but you gotta understand too where I'm coming from and realize you've created an entire thread to rant about a subject you simply don't know anything about. It's like when someone creates a thread about hating going to the dentist, and then a dentist comes in and explains things, yet the OP won't listen and stubbornly pushes forward.

Users who are viewing this thread