What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (2 Viewers)

The only way I could see this being serious is if he seriously aggravated it in the 3rd quarter. The mere fact that he came out of the lockeroom, ready to play in a game where his team was up 27-0 makes me think that it couldn't have been that serious initially.
Agree. And I watched him walk back out to the field to go on set with nflnetwork, no limp or anything

The MRI would be the bad sign. 
Or just a confirmation that everything is OK. I would assume that they did some checks in the locker room and felt he was fine and let him go back out in the game. Note, he didn't look to have any issues in the second half. I'd be concerned if A) he never came out but looked gimpy after that play or B) he never came back in the game. The fact that they did check him after the play and he came back makes me a lot less concerned and thinking that they want to confirm everything is fine. Of course, there is a possibility of an issue, but with the 10 day layoff, I'm not really worried.

Or just a confirmation that everything is OK. I would assume that they did some checks in the locker room and felt he was fine and let him go back out in the game. Note, he didn't look to have any issues in the second half. I'd be concerned if A) he never came out but looked gimpy after that play or B) he never came back in the game. The fact that they did check him after the play and he came back makes me a lot less concerned and thinking that they want to confirm everything is fine. Of course, there is a possibility of an issue, but with the 10 day layoff, I'm not really worried.
Sounds like wishful thinking. Any MRI is a bad sign. Might check-out and nothing is wrong but you don't get an MRI if you feel a-okay. 

Sounds like wishful thinking. Any MRI is a bad sign. Might check-out and nothing is wrong but you don't get an MRI if you feel a-okay. 
An MRI is done quite often as a precautionary measure, especially to star players who leave the game. Usually they can receive an X-ray in the locker room to rule out bone damage, which is likely what he received at half time, and why he was late returning. But let's not start painting a picture that MRI is a bad sign, because it's no worse than Murray leaving the game in the first place. The fact he returned in a blow out (CJA stayed in a close game) is a good sign. 

http://www.atlantapainmanagementcenters.com/mri-imaging/nfl-players-injuries-often-call-for-an-mri/

Sounds scientific.  Have a link?
Link above sheds more light on it. 

"While most of the results from the MRIs performed in the above players came back negative, it is a valuable tool in determining the seriousness of the injury and what treatment to provide for the injured player going forward. The same holds true for any other athlete and is why your doctor will more often than not, order an MRI when they cannot determine the seriousness of any type of structural injury."

Link above sheds more light on it. 

"While most of the results from the MRIs performed in the above players came back negative, it is a valuable tool in determining the seriousness of the injury and what treatment to provide for the injured player going forward. The same holds true for any other athlete and is why your doctor will more often than not, order an MRI when they cannot determine the seriousness of any type of structural injury."
From that you get that 99% of players that go to the locker room and re-enter the game never miss any time?  

You guys are hilarious. Spin it however you want but the need for an MRI is not good news, precautionary or not. 

You guys are hilarious. Spin it however you want but the need for an MRI is not good news, precautionary or not. 
It isn't bad news as we saw. You are just as hilarious trying to paint it as a bad sign, which it wasn't. It was precautionary. He left the game and got checked, we knew that. We also knew that he re-entered a blow out so the team obviously didn't feel worried about it. That was my whole point. I wasn't worried because of all of that. If he never came back in, I would have been a lot more worried.

I just traded Quiz to grab Henry as a handcuff.. just hit the Booker lottery so if anyone has the opportunity to handcuff DeMarco.. I'd suggest doing the same

DeMarco Murray is on pace for a league-high 320 carries.
The Titans have used Murray as an every down workhorse despite having Derrick Henry. He had his first sign of breaking down with a toe injury Thursday night, but is expected to be fine. There’s some second-half risk to Murray at his current workloads. Murray has missed at least one game in 4-of-5 seasons.

Oct 29 - 6:37 PM

Hopefully this doesn't become a nagging injury that affects his performance like so many toe/foot injuries do.
Turf toe injuries are strained ligaments, correct? MRI coming back clean would say that isn't the case, plus 10 days off and he should be good.

It's nice not having to worry about a bye with him yet, but I'm starting to think that week 13 bye may be a really nice thing setting up weeks 14-16. Have to assume most Murray owners are in good shape getting the #2/#3 RB (if someone had the Williams/Bell combo) as their second RB and likely going WR early.

Coach Mike Mularkey said Wednesday the Titans will continue to view DeMarco Murray as "the guy" in their backfield for 2017.
Mularkey called sophomore Derrick Henry "an important part of our offense," but confirmed Murray will enter 2017 as Tennessee's workhorse. Now 29 years old, Murray averaged 4.39 yards per carry and logged 346 touches last season, although his effectiveness waned down the stretch due to a toe injury. While Henry will remain a threat for short-yardage and complementary carries, Murray's superior all-purpose ability keeps his feature back role secure.

Related: Derrick Henry

Source: Terry McMormick on Twitter 
Feb 22 - 9:08 PM

Well that was a crapfest.

Not only did he get massively out-touched and out-produced by Henry Not only did the Titans score three rushing TDs, none of which were by Murray. Not only was one of those a one-yard run BY THE $!@$!%^ TIGHT END! On top of all that, the NFL's stat service had to twist the knife by initially reporting Henry's TD run as being by Murray. I saw it on the ESPN Gametracker, got the Yahoo alert, saw my score updated, and then they quietly took it all back five minutes later.

Anyone else starting to think now is a good time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Murray missed practice today but there is optimism he will play this week. He seems like he is going to battle through this hamstring thing but I am not sure that is in his best longterm interest. I think we have a genuine platoon situation there now and Henry will be the closer.

Well that was a crapfest.

Not only did he get massively out-touched and out-produced by Henry Not only did the Titans score three rushing TDs, none of which were by Murray. Not only was one of those a one-yard run BY THE $!@$!%^ TIGHT END! On top of all that, the NFL's stat service had to twist the knife by initially reporting Henry's TD run as being by Murray. I saw it on the ESPN Gametracker, got the Yahoo alert, saw my score updated, and then they quietly took it all back five minutes later.

Anyone else starting to think now is a good time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?
LOL, that stat error pissed me off

Changing of the guard, Henry is becoming RB1 in TENN.
I'd attribute to cramming preseason into the first two weeks and playing injured.  Of course it could be he is no good anymore, but I think as poster above said there is also a changing of the guard evolving, Henry is good.

I have both of them.  I'm playing Henry this week for sure.  I'm just afraid when Murray is 100%,   it will be a full blown RBBC 

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt Murray plays. Mularkey said he's giving him a couple days to show he's ready, decide if he's ready, so we will know. Today I think it's unlikely.

David Fluellen is a fine backup. He's no NFL starter but he's fine. He averaged 6 ypc in late mopup and was solid in preseason after a couple years on the PS.

FB Jalston Fowler is a surprisingly good runner and excellent receiver. 

I highly doubt they call anyone up or make any moves.

All of them can pound the rock for a play here n there while Henry catches his breath. They also love the reverses to Taywan and Adoree has practiced them as well.

Henry is sitting while the D is on the field. Some are acting like he's playing a full game. Henry is more than capable and those guys can let him catch his breath too.

Mularkey has already said he wants to keep Wilson off the field as much as possible so ya know they're gonna run a lot. That's not a job for an injured back. It suits Henry's style perfectly. I can't see them rushing Murray here.

Anywho, today I'm guessing Murray sits this week

I have the choice of Henry or Gore.

If Murray is out, easy choice go with Henry.  But Gore actually has a good matchup this week, so if Murray plays I'm pretty torn.
Henry's pretty hot. I always get burned if I don't go with the hot hand in FF so that'd be my edge here

I doubt Murray plays. Mularkey said he's giving him a couple days to show he's ready, decide if he's ready, so we will know. Today I think it's unlikely.

David Fluellen is a fine backup. He's no NFL starter but he's fine. He averaged 6 ypc in late mopup and was solid in preseason after a couple years on the PS.

FB Jalston Fowler is a surprisingly good runner and excellent receiver. 

I highly doubt they call anyone up or make any moves.

All of them can pound the rock for a play here n there while Henry catches his breath. They also love the reverses to Taywan and Adoree has practiced them as well.

Henry is sitting while the D is on the field. Some are acting like he's playing a full game. Henry is more than capable and those guys can let him catch his breath too.

Mularkey has already said he wants to keep Wilson off the field as much as possible so ya know they're gonna run a lot. That's not a job for an injured back. It suits Henry's style perfectly. I can't see them rushing Murray here.

Anywho, today I'm guessing Murray sits this week
Nice breakdown. Did you also see that Mularkey said that one of his guys with hammy issues had an MRI but wouldn't say which? I believe both Murray and Corey Davis are dealing with hammies. And Corey Davis has already been ruled out for this week, so if it were him who had an MRI, why not just mention that? It would make sense. He had an MRI and now they're sitting him. 

My gut tells me Murray had an MRI on his hammy and they're not showing their cards just yet. 

Irrespective of the sounds included in my post, I'll assume he means why do I have Crowell in over Henry to start the week?  Well, 2 reasons:

1)  Should be guaranteed 20+ touches vs. arguably the worst team in the league.

2)  Squeaky wheel? Crowell discussed his workload with coach Hue Jackson after Sunday's 24-10 loss to the Ravens, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. "[Jackson] said he wants to get me the ball and stuff like that,'' said Crowell. "But we didn't really go into depth about it. I just told him I feel like I'm a big-time player and I can make plays for the team, and I just kept it at that."

Why what?
Why would you start Crowell over Henry if Murray starts?

Ok I see your answer above.

Crowell getting 20 touches per game hasn't happened yet, although it was close in week one with 19. I suppose the Colts match up does look a lot better than the Steelers and Ravens defenses. Crowell has not done very well with his touches though and Duke Johnson played more snaps than Crowell did in week two.

The Titans do play Seattle so a tougher challenge and Henry hasn't been targeted as a receiver yet in two games.

I guess it is a closer choice than I was thinking, just comparing the quality of the two players, Crowell vs Henry. I usually take the approach of starting the best players on my team and to me Henry is better than Crowell, but because of the match ups it is closer than what I was thinking.

Kind of strange that Henry doesn't have any targets in the passing game yet over two games. They targeted Murray 4 times so far.

ATB said:
Nice breakdown. Did you also see that Mularkey said that one of his guys with hammy issues had an MRI but wouldn't say which? I believe both Murray and Corey Davis are dealing with hammies. And Corey Davis has already been ruled out for this week, so if it were him who had an MRI, why not just mention that? It would make sense. He had an MRI and now they're sitting him. 

My gut tells me Murray had an MRI on his hammy and they're not showing their cards just yet. 
This is all new from Mularkey- as if JRob handed him a book named Belichick's way to deal with the press. Mularkey has always been forthcoming and I totally love that. Since about the middle of August he's been deceptive and left stuff out<-- that seems too harsh when worded, something common that coaches do for an advantage. It's frustrating for me.

It didn't play out like you said.

He said on Monday that whoever the trainer decides needs and MRI will get one (of Davis and Murray) and hopefully neither of them do. 

Since Davis was deemed out without even getting a chance to practice this week, it seems very safe to assume they saw an issue with his MRI and that he is the one. The opposite, that Murray got one and is working out doesn't make much sense

This is all new from Mularkey- as if JRob handed him a book named Belichick's way to deal with the press. Mularkey has always been forthcoming and I totally love that. Since about the middle of August he's been deceptive and left stuff out<-- that seems too harsh when worded, something common that coaches do for an advantage. It's frustrating for me.

It didn't play out like you said.

He said on Monday that whoever the trainer decides needs and MRI will get one (of Davis and Murray) and hopefully neither of them do. 

Since Davis was deemed out without even getting a chance to practice this week, it seems very safe to assume they saw an issue with his MRI and that he is the one. The opposite, that Murray got one and is working out doesn't make much sense
Good points. Thanks for the clarification. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
From Rotoworld, FWIW: 

DeMarco Murray (hamstring) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Murray was "inside on the treadmill." Two missed practices for a workhorse 29-year-old back do not guarantee he will sit — Murray is the kind of player who can suit up without practicing — but things certainly aren't looking good. Even if Murray does play, Derrick Henry seems likely to take the lead against the Seahawks.

Source: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Sep 21 - 3:44 p.m. 

Mularkey said DeMarco is doing better (with off to the side stuff) and is probably going to practice tomorrow to see how he looks. He expects him to practice. He won't make a decision on Murray til Sunday when he has to.

(a sign?)

He said he was very comfortable with David Fluellen playing more and how he had a great camp n all. (They use two RBs so, if Murray is out Fluellen becomes the #2 guy)

Looks like he's playing, but I don't see how you could start him. To many risk factors (Henry, injury, 4:00 start, tough matchup).

Rolling with Cohen.

I wish they’d sit him today so he can rest the hamstring & hopefully come back stronger...of course I’m a Demarco owner

I wish they’d sit him today so he can rest the hamstring & hopefully come back stronger...of course I’m a Demarco owner
I was saying that too, until my opponent subbed in Henry. Now I want him to play. Also wouldn't mind seeing him put up some numbers to reassure those of us who drafted him in the first

Users who are viewing this thread