What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Brown (1 Yr Wonder I guess?) (1 Viewer)

I think too many FGB subscribers here are over thinking a post like this. I'm asking for your opinion on whether its time to sell on Antonio Brown as he is the most targetting WR for the Steelers and on the heels of a pretty good year last year? Or in Dynasty be patient and he will still have some WR2 value? If you don't have an opinion on that then DON'T POST ANYTHING HERE. Go elsewhere with your snide and rude comments. They have no place here. Sheesh. :rant:
Long term hold on Brown. Kid is the real mccoy. He had a down game...he like many really good WR's will throw up a few stinkers. But there is nothing fundamentaly wrong with him and his game. He is a real NFL talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your opinion that is exactly the kind of response I'm looking for in this post. :blackdot:

'Todem said:
'jacobo_moses said:
I think too many FGB subscribers here are over thinking a post like this. I'm asking for your opinion on whether its time to sell on Antonio Brown as he is the most targetting WR for the Steelers and on the heels of a pretty good year last year? Or in Dynasty be patient and he will still have some WR2 value? If you don't have an opinion on that then DON'T POST ANYTHING HERE. Go elsewhere with your snide and rude comments. They have no place here. Sheesh. :rant:
Long term hold on Brown. Kid is the real mccoy. He had a down game...he like many really good WR's will throw up a few stinkers. But there is nothing fundamentaly wrong with him and his game. He is a real NFL talent.

This is directed to the OP. Don't you think your expectations for this guy are a little high?

Brown was the FBG consnesus WR25. WR25 last year went for 950/6. Isn't Brown doing fine for his draft position?

He is doing ok I guess. IN my 32 team NON PPR Return Yrdge Lg. He sitting at 34 for WR's on a Fantasy Points Per Game basis. I was hoping he would be a low end WR1 in a 32 team league. And he is just outside of that. And seeing that he is dropping more passes this year. (33 yrd TD Dropped last week, and fumbled a TD chance at like the 2 yd line a few weeks ago, and while he did recover it, still frustrating) I was just hopeful he would not drop as many passes like he is right now, and get into the EZ a little more then last year.

But I guess I was a little too optimistic.

:(

He's a solid WR, but I don't think he's ever going to take that net step like people had hoped. I read about this stat and found it interesting, in his last 22 games(including the playoffs), he has just 3 100+ yard games and just 3 TD's. This is why I think it's extremely important for Pittsburgh to keep Wallace around or the offense will have some serious issues.

Lost in the shuffle is the fact that Brown has drawn 2 Pass Interference penalties in the endzone, both on plays that would've been easy short TDs if he wasn't manhandled. He also dropped a sure TD 2 weeks ago, also in the endzone. So he is getting redzone looks, and more than Wallace. Brown is among the league leaders in targets.

I agree, it sucks that he can't seem to score, but the bad luck can't continue forever and better days are coming.

Lost in the shuffle is the fact that Brown has drawn 2 Pass Interference penalties in the endzone, both on plays that would've been easy short TDs if he wasn't manhandled. He also dropped a sure TD 2 weeks ago, also in the endzone. So he is getting redzone looks, and more than Wallace. Brown is among the league leaders in targets.I agree, it sucks that he can't seem to score, but the bad luck can't continue forever and better days are coming.
:goodposting: The reason us Brown owners hang onto him are because of his obscene target numbers. He looks really good when he's out there playing - his hands are great, he's fast, and he gets really good separation. He's just a few unfortunate happenings away from having 3-4 TDs this year and (in that case) top 5 numbers, at which point I'm sure everyone would be singing a different tune for him. If anything, he's a good player to pickup if you can get him cheap since Roeth has been very solid this year and he's been giving Brown a great number of chances to get yards/TDs.

'Todem said:
Don't be the typical fantasy owner that over reacts to a few bad games. There are guys who start the season that over produce and there are guys who start the season under producing--but by the end of the season--they usually end up putting up their solid numbers. It's called either progression or regression to the mean. Look at the number of targets that Brown is getting. He's getting the most targets on one of the strongest passing offenses in the league--this will pay off. Brown is an amazing buy low in my opinion. Wallace is a great WR---but his numbers are a bit scary. Look at his game yesterday---2 receptions--and one of them was a fairly fortunate 82 yard touchdown (it was horrid d). Outside of that catch--wallace had 1 reception for 12 yards the entire rest of the game. Hang with Brown.
No matter how you twist it you're reminded that FF is mostly luck. Discount Wallace's "fortunate" 82 yard TD, I'm sure Wallace owners are fine with your criticism. As much importance as you put on Brown's targets, why do you not give Wallace props for his explosiveness? Truth may be that Wallace is a playmaker who doesn't need a lot of targets to make big things happen while Brown is a chains mover who is a really good possession WR.
With all due respect....Wallace is a great WR...no question. But Brown also has plenty of speed and wiggle to break big plays. His role may be more of the chain mover....but this kid can get deep as well as turn a WR hitch into an 80 yarder as well.
What did I say that was incorrect? He's a very good possession WR. That doesn't mean he can't make things happen.
Not saying you said anything wrong per se but Brown can take one target to the house just like Wallace. He has that big play ability as well.
I agree but I also think that in Haley's system as long as Mike Wallace is around they don't send Brown on those routes. We saw in the preseason when Wallace was out that Brown was a scoring machine with 204 yards & 3 TDs in 5 quarters of work.

'Todem said:
Don't be the typical fantasy owner that over reacts to a few bad games. There are guys who start the season that over produce and there are guys who start the season under producing--but by the end of the season--they usually end up putting up their solid numbers. It's called either progression or regression to the mean. Look at the number of targets that Brown is getting. He's getting the most targets on one of the strongest passing offenses in the league--this will pay off. Brown is an amazing buy low in my opinion. Wallace is a great WR---but his numbers are a bit scary. Look at his game yesterday---2 receptions--and one of them was a fairly fortunate 82 yard touchdown (it was horrid d). Outside of that catch--wallace had 1 reception for 12 yards the entire rest of the game. Hang with Brown.
No matter how you twist it you're reminded that FF is mostly luck. Discount Wallace's "fortunate" 82 yard TD, I'm sure Wallace owners are fine with your criticism. As much importance as you put on Brown's targets, why do you not give Wallace props for his explosiveness? Truth may be that Wallace is a playmaker who doesn't need a lot of targets to make big things happen while Brown is a chains mover who is a really good possession WR.
With all due respect....Wallace is a great WR...no question. But Brown also has plenty of speed and wiggle to break big plays. His role may be more of the chain mover....but this kid can get deep as well as turn a WR hitch into an 80 yarder as well.
What did I say that was incorrect? He's a very good possession WR. That doesn't mean he can't make things happen.
Not saying you said anything wrong per se but Brown can take one target to the house just like Wallace. He has that big play ability as well.
You're wrong. He does NOT have Wallace's big play ability.

'Todem said:
To this I say. Watch Antonio Brown holding his own vs Joe Haden (Who many would say is a pretty good CB) And take this all the way to the house. I'd have to say your wrong there.

Watch at 2:26 on burning the Browns.

'Todem said:
they are different receivers - Wallace can take the top off a defense and beat guys deep, while Brown is more of an intermediate guy with short area burst and great YAC ability. Wallace is the bigger theat as far as big plays go, but Brown isn't bad in that area either.

'Todem said:
they are different receivers - Wallace can take the top off a defense and beat guys deep, while Brown is more of an intermediate guy with short area burst and great YAC ability. Wallace is the bigger theat as far as big plays go, but Brown isn't bad in that area either.
this is what I meant. Sure brown can do it just like Wallace can catch 6-9 balls a game, it's just not their roles.

All you can ask for is opportunities and A.Brown is among the top in the league for opportunity.

My point wasn't that I was dogging Wallace by praising Brown. If you read a lot of the anti-Brown posts in this thread--a lot of them argue that Brown is over hyped and Wallace is the guy to own. Yes--Wallace is a great playmaker--and is a fine WR--both in reality and in fantasy. My point was that although Brown had a bad game--he's still getting lots of targets--he is a major part of the offense. Yes--Wallace made the most of his two catches in last night's game--but this thread is about if Brown is a bust. There are weeks where Wallace owners are frustrated because he has slow games too--and if somebody started a thread about if he was a bust--I'd say to stick with Wallace too. There is plenty of fantasy value in both of those guys. In PPR leagues--I'd personally prefer to own Brown--and in non-PPR--I'd rather own Wallace--however, I'd be happy with either of them in any format.

I'm looking to buy him big time. The Steelers offensive line is in shambles, their RB's are in shambles, probs on the defense but Big Ben is a stud and will pass, pass, pass. He's the #1 wr on the team...they locked him up NOT Wallace. If you can get him cheap do it.

The whole reason why I targeted Brown and not Wallace in drafts this year was because I didn't see as big of a gap between Wallace and Brown as their ADP's would indicate. Through this point in the season my prediction isn't looking too great (non-PPR), but even with Wallace's huge game last night and Brown's stinker, I still like owning Brown. I see Brown as the ideal guy to own in a 3 WR league if you can pair him with 2 great WR's who are more of the boom-or-bust guys. Rely on Brown for the steady production due to his high targets...let your other wideouts put up the big points. At least that's my strategy.

The whole reason why I targeted Brown and not Wallace in drafts this year was because I didn't see as big of a gap between Wallace and Brown as their ADP's would indicate. Through this point in the season my prediction isn't looking too great (non-PPR), but even with Wallace's huge game last night and Brown's stinker, I still like owning Brown. I see Brown as the ideal guy to own in a 3 WR league if you can pair him with 2 great WR's who are more of the boom-or-bust guys. Rely on Brown for the steady production due to his high targets...let your other wideouts put up the big points. At least that's my strategy.
That's sort of mine, too. I have him on a team where I also have Cruz, Julio and Decker; I start all four every week (3 WRs plus a flex). Brown is usually my reliable guy I count on for 12-15 pts a week, while Cruz and Julio are my big play guys, and Decker is very solid as a WR3. I can't complain about Brown thus far, despite the lack of TDs, although last night was obviously disappointing. But I didn't expect him to be a big TD guy this year.

Seems like he was way more effective last year.
2011 Stats: 69/1108/2Pace for 2012: 93/1107/3

:confused:
Bunch of you are missing a point. Sure Brown is on pace for similar production, but what about his WR FF ranking?2011: #11 WR in non-PPR

2012: #33 WR in non-PPR, so far, thru week 6.

So...... with that said. It's early. I like Antonio's potential to finish in as a top 15 WR.
Why don't you see where Brown was through 6 weeks last year. I bet it's way below WR 33

Bunch of you are missing a point. Sure Brown is on pace for similar production, but what about his WR FF ranking?2011: #11 WR in non-PPR

So...... with that said. It's early. I like Antonio's potential to finish in as a top 15 WR.
Why don't you see where Brown was through 6 weeks last year. I bet it's way below WR 33
Thru Wk62012 - 7.8 ppg, rank #33 WR

2011 - 6.8 ppg, rank #43 WR

My point still stands. OP drafted Brown thinking he would pick up where he left off with Top 15 WR production and he hasn't. He's disappointed so far. Any thought of "should I dump him?" is certainly being way too impatient as others have pointed out the things that indicate better production is coming... # of receptions, # of targets, etc.

Remaining Schedule: Cincy x2, Washington, NYG, KC, Cle x2, Balt x2, SD, Dal....looks pretty promising

So far he's done well against some pretty solid pass defenses (Den, NYJ pre Revis injury, Philly). I chalk the Tenn game up to it being a Thursday night, which seem to have an effect on fantasy production.

he is fine - new OC loves to throw it and Brown has great short/intermediate skills

top 15 is pushing it - but I think he's top 24.

he is fine - new OC loves to throw it and Brown has great short/intermediate skillstop 15 is pushing it - but I think he's top 24.
ya, they threw it to him a couple times last game right on the LOS and were using the pass almost like a run. I'd be buying him if you can get him at a decent price.

My point still stands. OP drafted Brown thinking he would pick up where he left off with Top 15 WR production and he hasn't. He's disappointed so far. Any thought of "should I dump him?" is certainly being way too impatient as others have pointed out the things that indicate better production is coming... # of receptions, # of targets, etc.
I think you're both missing out on some of the basics of FF here.Brown is on pace to score MORE points than he did last year when he was a top 15 WR, yet he's WR33. Why is that? Because he played 16 games last year.

Brown was WR30 last year on a ppg basis. He finished as WR11 because a bunch of other WRs missed games to injury. We're only in week 6 of this year, so most of those guys haven't missed time yet. If Brown keeps up the pace he's on now and plays 16 games again, he'll once again finish in the top 15.

I'm sorry, but this thread is just very offbase. If someone wants to argue that he didn't take the next step and become an elite WR based off the promise he showed last year, then that's one thing. But the point that he's not playing as well as last year or has regressed as a fantasy option is just dead wrong. He's scoring more points this year and doing it at a more consistent rate.

These guys that finish around the WR15 spot while playing in 16 games do it through mediocre PPG combined with volume of games played. If the OP didn't realize that then that's on him, not on Brown, who is giving him exactly what should have been expected when drafting him.

I think you're both missing out on some of the basics of FF here.Brown is on pace to score MORE points than he did last year when he was a top 15 WR, yet he's WR33. Why is that? Because he played 16 games last year.

Brown was WR30 last year on a ppg basis. He finished as WR11 because a bunch of other WRs missed games to injury. We're only in week 6 of this year, so most of those guys haven't missed time yet. If Brown keeps up the pace he's on now and plays 16 games again, he'll once again finish in the top 15.

I'm sorry, but this thread is just very offbase. If someone wants to argue that he didn't take the next step and become an elite WR based off the promise he showed last year, then that's one thing. But the point that he's not playing as well as last year or has regressed as a fantasy option is just dead wrong. He's scoring more points this year and doing it at a more consistent rate.

These guys that finish around the WR15 spot while playing in 16 games do it through mediocre PPG combined with volume of games played. If the OP didn't realize that then that's on him, not on Brown, who is giving him exactly what should have been expected when drafting him.
That was the most ######ed response I've ever read. Thank you, I am insulted.IN 2011 ANTONIO BROWN AVERAGED 10.0 POINTS PER GAME (NON-PPR), and was ranked #11 WR based on PPG.

IN 2012 ANTONIO BROWN HAS AVERAGED SO FAR, 7.8 POINTS PER GAME (NON-PPR), and is ranked #34 WR based on PPG.

Please let me know which is better. Thanks!

Jesus Christ close this ######ed thread.

That was the most ######ed response I've ever read. Thank you, I am insulted.IN 2011 ANTONIO BROWN AVERAGED 10.0 POINTS PER GAME (NON-PPR), and was ranked #11 WR based on PPG.

IN 2012 ANTONIO BROWN HAS AVERAGED SO FAR, 7.8 POINTS PER GAME (NON-PPR), and is ranked #34 WR based on PPG.

Please let me know which is better. Thanks!

Jesus Christ close this ######ed thread.
Actually, he averaged...wait for it...just under 8 points per game in non PPR last season. Do the math--115 from yardage (rushing and receiving) and 12 from a pair of TDs, and divide by 16. Can you figure out the mistake you made?Answer: your league scores return yards. This year, Antonio Brown doesn't return kicks. Know your scoring system before you draft.

WR11 with 1100 and 2TDs?

In my standard non PPR, he was WR24 last year.....which is where he was drafted this year...which is roughly how he is performing this year...

I'm failing to see the disappointment

WR11 with 1100 and 2TDs? In my standard non PPR, he was WR24 last year.....which is where he was drafted this year...which is roughly how he is performing this year...I'm failing to see the disappointment
....exactly. No clue what you guys are talking about with that WR11 mess.He's doing okay so far, although I did think he would be better. I guess I should have put more weight on the fact that he only had 2 TDs last year.

It's kick return yards. The people complaining aren't remembering that their leagues gave him the equivalent of an extra 300 or so yards receiving last year. He's still shagging punts, but not kicks. See my post above.

I'm guessing he finishes with around 4 or 5 more TDs, at least. He's getting way too many downfield and endzone looks not to put a few in.

WR11 with 1100 and 2TDs? In my standard non PPR, he was WR24 last year.....which is where he was drafted this year...which is roughly how he is performing this year...I'm failing to see the disappointment
....exactly. No clue what you guys are talking about with that WR11 mess.He's doing okay so far, although I did think he would be better. I guess I should have put more weight on the fact that he only had 2 TDs last year.
I don't think he's disappointing, but I do think he is capable of more. So far he's played against some tough D's, had a bye, and a thursday night game....with that in mind, for him to have 29/346/1 through the first 6 weeks of the season is not bad...he's averaging 10 targets per game, including occasional carries and punt returns...we just need to be a little more patient...i'm still optimistic that he will be a top 10-15 WR this season.

Oh, look, his fourth 7-catch stat line in 6 games. 109 yards once you count the rush. Can we drop the whining yet?

His first down schtick is getting old. The ref is right beside you asking for the ball and yet you have to give your first down taunt and drop the ball every time. Maybe score a TD every so often and celebrate then.

The dudes clutch and skilled, he can do whatever he wants. The steelers paid the man pushing the chains on 3rd down. TD's will come.

His first down schtick is getting old. The ref is right beside you asking for the ball and yet you have to give your first down taunt and drop the ball every time. Maybe score a TD every so often and celebrate then.
Lol its getting old cause he gets so many catches and 1st downsYeah he sucks

The dudes clutch and skilled, he can do whatever he wants. The steelers paid the man pushing the chains on 3rd down. TD's will come.
Yeah, he can do whatever he wants. You know who also does whatever they want? Drunks and frat boys. It's a bag move and he's getting known for it. Every week you see a guy run up to him and knock the ball out of his hand before he celebrates the first down. It's just a first down dude. Hand the ball to the ref who is asking for it instead of Brown doing the refs job for him and then making the ref fetch the ball.I've got him on a few teams so i like him moving the chains but the man needs to realize that it's just a very small play in a big game. He is not bigger than everyone else. Save it for big plays or TD's.

Man, he had a good game and all, but damn, all that for just 10 fantasy points? This is his best game all season too. 10 points in your best game isn't impressive at all. Aside from is consistency and the hope that he takes a punt to the house, there's not much to really get excited for with him.

Tough crowd, what was everyone expecting from a guy with a 5th round ADP? He is what he is, I don't expect him to suddenly become a TD machine. Solid in PPR leagues, and obviously not worth as much in non-ppr.

the tough TD luck seems to follow this guy. He should have had another last night. That throw he made was a sure TD for any nfl caliber player. Unfortunately he was throwing to a stiff.

Again, this guy is solid in PPR, but he does not score touchdowns. 3 TD catches on 105 catches since the start of last season says it all.

At what point does this guy not get ranked so high every week? And at what point does Denarius Moore get any respect in the weekly rankings. Every week i start this bum and watch Moore explode on my bench. Never again.

At what point does this guy not get ranked so high every week? And at what point does Denarius Moore get any respect in the weekly rankings. Every week i start this bum and watch Moore explode on my bench. Never again.
so, let me get this straight -- you've got one guy who sux and you know is way overrated in the rankings, and another guy who you know should be ranked a lot higher because he's good, and you start the suck every week?my advice would be to start the good receiver.

so, let me get this straight -- you've got one guy who sux and you know is way overrated in the rankings, and another guy who you know should be ranked a lot higher because he's good, and you start the suck every week?my advice would be to start the good receiver.
it can be tough to ignore a top 10 ranking as well as touting the matchup as "excellent". On the flip side, the other guy has been consistently rated in the high 20's and 30's. I won't make the mistake again but I don't understand why one guy has been ranked so high (the clear #2 guy on his own team) and the other has been ranked so low (the clear #1 on his team). I figured someone must know something I don't. I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread