What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Aboard the Rainey Trainey (1 Viewer)

Drafted Martin in a redraft league and he isn't seeing my lineup until he proves something, much like Torrey Smith.

Could have something to do with starting 0-2 as well.

Screw it I'm starting Rainey...woo woo!!! :tfp:

- Martin has sucked this year, and most of last year

- Rainey did very well in relief

- Martin is essentially doubtful with the latest reports

- ATL is a great matchup

I don't think there's any way I can start Martin now and Rainey is my only other good option (AP owner as well and Rainey is all I could get off WW this week).

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Doug Martin is still the starter?

Why is he so low in the FBG rankings?
Unless my eyes are deceiving me Dodds has Martin off the projections now and Rainey just rocketed up to 12
Dodds, Bloom, and Tremblay all moved him to 10ish in my scoring system. Above my two starters E. Lacy and M. Ball.

I still don't think I'd make a move unless Martin is inactive.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I have been a Martin supporter in this thread but he seems like he's on the outs with thsi staff. If Rainey has a solid game tonight he may just take the job from Martin

As a Bucs fan who has watched every one of Rainey's (and Martin's, and James') snaps - be careful. He had a couple big games last year but only against mediocre run defences. Any time he played a good defence, he disappeared. And as bad as Martin was in week 1, Rainey was just as poor. The big defence in week 2 was the Bucs were playing a weaker run defence and the OL played much better (not in pass pro though). Rainey's value to my mind is capped by Martin (who is a superior player unless he's regressing). Worst case, could be a RBBC.
Completely disagree. The rams have a rather stingy run d.Carolina ranks 15th fewest for rb points given up. St. Louis ranks 9th fewest...If your theory is correct, and he beat up on cupcakes last year, and St. Louis is a cupcake, then why did he only rush for 37 yards on 20 carries (1.9 ypc) vs stl last year? Yet he had 3.7 ypc vs carolina last year.One of his best games was against buffalo... 127 yards at 5.8 ypc. Buffalo ranked 5th best against the run last year. Granted yes, one of his other good games was against atl, who are terrible vs the run, but he also had a high ypc against Miami who was in the upper middle (13). So, he did it against the worst, middle, and the best. It wasn't against a bunch of cupcakesRainey is the real deal. Martin... Something is wrong with him. Watch them try Martin again this week and then go to Rainey by the end of the game.
It's too early to rank defences (except teams at the margins) based on two games. Carolina being 15th and the Rams 9th is noise at this point. But to answer your question, so far the Rams have been gashed in two games so far, and I'm guessing they'll show that they are a much weaker run defence this year (perhaps losing Long hurts as well?). And yes, they were a strong run defence last year. I'm not sure where you're getting your ranking of Buffalo being 5th against the run - if we're looking at yards/game Buffalo gave up 128.9 yards/game last year and were ranked 28th in that stat. Atlanta was 31st with 135.8 yards/game. Miami was the toughest of his good games but they gave up 124.9 yards/game and were ranked 24th. -And more importantly, he had 8 runs for 45 yards. A nice stat line, but those are 8 carries. So in the 7 games he started last year, he had two very good games aginst bad rush defences. The rest of the games he didn't top 3.7 yards a game, and didn't top a 3.8/avg for the season. Further, you can evenlook at the Buffalo game you'll notice that he had an 80 yard run. He was NOT having a good game prior to that run. And the run was impressive. But without that run, he's averaging 2.2 yards a carry that game. Obviously you can't cherry pick and remove specific runs but I think it is another indicator of a (so far) mediocre back. Is it possible that changes this year? Sure, but I've only seen a little indication last week that maybe that's the case.
I admit its a small sample size, and im not talking about yards, I'm saying FP allowed to RBs, that's where stl and car fall right now (according to yahoo)Regarding buffalo, I was reading my rankings backwards...

And no, you can't take that one run out. I disagree when you imply that without that one run he was doing pretty bad, and that it shows a mediocre back. I personally would prefer a rb who gets pretty consistent yardage vs a rb who gets garbage and then busts one loose. A lot of RBs wear down defenses and then when they get an inch they take a mile. I think Rainey us one of those you pound with and when he gets a little space he can be dangerous.

He's not a lottery ticket by any means, but he looks better than Martin, and very well could be tbs best chance to win games. As far as fantasy goes, unless Martin does well the next two weeks I think its clear Rainey would be the better back to own.
The reason I'm using yards not FP allowed to RBs is because the data is distorted by touchdowns. As we see every week, a back can have a terrible game but a single 1-yard plunge at the goalline turns it into a good "fantasy" game. I think yards are much more telling because they give you a better indication of opportunities to score a back will have. Not to belabour the point, but if a back is average 2.5 yards a carry he's much less like to generate more fantasy points than a back average 4.5 yards/carry.

I agree that a consistent back is better than a boom-or-bust back (and Football Outsider's statistics back that up). I just don't see how you can argue Rainey is that back. Part of Rainey's problem is that he HASN'T got consistent yardage, other than in two games (and as I pointed out he WAS a boom or bust back in that game). The game against the Rams was the 3rd time in 8 games he'd put up a good average, and I bet he'll put up a good average tonight as well because of the opponent.

Martin is the more talented back, but he's injured and is more hurt by his poor pass pro in the 1st game than his inability to gain yards (Rainey was just as incapable).

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I have been a Martin supporter in this thread but he seems like he's on the outs with thsi staff. If Rainey has a solid game tonight he may just take the job from Martin
Remember the Sims threat in camp... I can agree with this

The problem is I'm not convinced Rainey is a long term everydown back.

Lovie and the coaches know what they have, and sure part of it comes from game time performance, but it's also what they see every day since beginning of camp.
Lovie and the coaches clearly don't know what they have.
Yup and I bet you know more than Lovie and the coaching team about who's a better RB. (sarcasm)
I was referring more to the other offensive weapons on the team they aren't currently using. Once Martin comes back this will be a RBBC.

I think best case scenario for Bobby Rainey is a 50/50 split with Doug Martin. I could buy more into a player like Sims taking Martin's role than Rainey.

Im not either but I (we) could be wrong. Falcons, Steelers and Saints are next and right now they look like very nice match-ups

I think best case scenario for Bobby Rainey is a 50/50 split with Doug Martin. I could buy more into a player like Sims taking Martin's role than Rainey.
I dont know. My first red flag was Lovie saying he could have went back in when they played in week 1...after that he was supposed to go last week and was a suprise inactive and now theyre saying Rainey may just start ahead of him anyway tonight. It doesnt sound like a 50-50 IMHO

Writing is clearly on the wall.....clearly IMO. Rainey is seizing this job with another solid performance.

Doug Martin....since that 50 plus point outburst his rookie season has done what since then...save for being hurt?

Not much.

Writing is clearly on the wall.....clearly IMO. Rainey is seizing this job with another solid performance.

Doug Martin....since that 50 plus point outburst his rookie season has done what since then...save for being hurt?

Not much.
That was not his only great game that year. I am not sure who started that rumor, but it is not factual.

I know nothing is certain but it looks as if Rainey will be huge esp in ppr... I could see 20-22 touches 4-6 catches over 100 yards from scrimmage and 1-2 tds.... He is gonna be a monster start him if you got him.

lol that's laughable. Rainey produces everytime he is out there... I remember last year I thought he was the best back on the team and filled in admirably. 144 yards last week agaist the Rams and another big night against the falcons and it may be 60-40 Rainey with Rainey getting all the catches and half the GL.

Argh. Not sure what to do. I got both Martin and Rainey and was trying to avoid the possible messy situation tonight. I originally decided to use Emanuel Sanders as my flex, but with Martin possibly/probably out, I'm tempted to go with Rainey over Sanders at Flex instead. Choo-choo?

Argh. Not sure what to do. I got both Martin and Rainey and was trying to avoid the possible messy situation tonight. I originally decided to use Emanuel Sanders as my flex, but with Martin possibly/probably out, I'm tempted to go with Rainey over Sanders at Flex instead. Choo-choo?
We dont have a flex but I do have both Rainey and Martin and I'm starting Rainey.

I'm starting Rainey in my flex. Currently Cruz, CJ2K, Decker, Pierce, Asiata are all on my bench. Choo choo!

Todem said:
Since that 50 point outburst...

24-138 5.8ypc

28-128 4.6ypc

28-142 5.1ypc

29-144 5.0ypc

20-88 4.4ypc

T with T said:
Rainey produces everytime he is out there...
Every time! Like, for instance...

18-35 1.9ypc

17-63 3.7ypc

11-25 2.5ypc

20-37 1.9ypc

11-35 3.2ypc

Every time! If by "every time" we mean he's done well in 3 of his 8 starts.

Thanks - for a second I thought I had the guys name wrong.

Doug Martin - is the guy in question.

But, I was a big fan of Curtis.

I think the job is Rainey's to lose and if he stacks up a couple of bad games (very possible in this O) he will lose it

If this isn't just about Martins injury, then Sims future looks pretty bright when he gets healthy. I have a few offers out for him in dynasty.

Todem said:
Since that 50 point outburst...

24-138 5.8ypc

28-128 4.6ypc

28-142 5.1ypc

29-144 5.0ypc

20-88 4.4ypc

T with T said:
Rainey produces everytime he is out there...
Every time! Like, for instance...

18-35 1.9ypc

17-63 3.7ypc

11-25 2.5ypc

20-37 1.9ypc

11-35 3.2ypc

Every time! If by "every time" we mean he's done well in 3 of his 8 starts.
Give me TD's and reception numbers after that 50 point game too.....please. I want to see it again.

Point being is...his stating gig is in serious jeopardy IMO. He has done nothing to gain the confidence of this coaching staff.

Rainey over Ridley.

Take my chances against Atlanta vs. dealing with BB's RB games.

Could easily bite me in the butt.

Looks like we'll be kicking this vs Martin conversation into next week.

Does a big night from Rainey make the starting role his with Martin likely back next week?

Does a big night from Rainey make the starting role his with Martin likely back next week?
I think it would turn it into a 50/50. If Martin doesn't take hold of the primary job, I think they'd stay in a split for the rest of the year and the Bucs may go with Rainey and Sims next year. Martin is in the 3rd year of a 4 year deal.

I'm glad Martin is out so I can start one of them with confidence.

But I don't think Martin loses his job unless he's broken. Or he's slept with someone's wife.

CHOO CHOO. Looks like a great start tonight vs a soft Atl defense. Have sjax going as well so hoping for ground and pound from both sides of the ball.

I'm starting Rainey over Bell in PPR. I'm a WKU grad, got to see him play for a couple seasons. Partially heart over head. Partially love the matchup vs the Falcons, hate Bell's vs Car

Users who are viewing this thread