What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AJ Green-potential breakout today? (1 Viewer)

bengalbuck

Footballguy
Partially out of necessity and partially due to a gut feeling he's due for a big day, I'm going with AJ Green today in a couple starting lineups. It appears to me that he has a nice matchup against the Broncos with Champ Bailey not likely to play. In addition, Dumervil is supposed to be out which should help the Bengals passing game in general.

If you watched the game last week, AJ was definitely a big part of the gameplan for the Bengals, but Joe Haden did a really good job on him (and got away with some obvious holding penalties that weren't called).

Anyone know anything about the Broncos' backup CBs?

Anyone else going with AJ this afternoon?

I like to see it, but will wait until he gets more than 4 targets and one catch in a game before starting him again. I get that he had tough coverage but need to see him do it first before feeling confident.

I have high hopes for him this year, but like the above poster, I want to see more than 4 targets first.

His breakout was last week and you missed it. He won't score 10 fantasy points again this season. :hophead:
:bs:I am considering him this week, at this point it's "money" Lloyd or him. $ Lloyd's been pretty injury prone and I would not put him in the category of 'elite' players whom you don't even look at the injury report. Especially since his deep ball ability is where much of his value derives from, save maybe in a PPR. I am still on the fence on this one. But absent a trip to the IR early, Joe Summer must be wake n blunting if he thinks AJ won't get north of 10 pts this season. I see more than one 20 pt game in his future this year. Dude is a baller with nice deep adjustment ability as well. Not only that they are the bungles. They'll be down in tons of games and means throw throw throw. You don't take a guy in the 1.6 position not to throw it to him a LOT.

Last edited by a moderator:
been goin back and forth with him and brandon gibson, if thats any indication of my regard for him aorn.

His breakout was last week and you missed it. He won't score 10 fantasy points again this season. :hophead:
:bs:I am considering him this week, at this point it's "money" Lloyd or him. $$ Lloyd's been pretty injury prone and I would not put him in the category of 'elite' players whom you don't even look at the injury report. Especially since his deep ball ability is where much of his value derives from, save maybe in a PPR. I am still on the fence on this one. But absent a trip to the IR early, Joe Summer must be wake n blunting if he thinks AJ won't get north of 10 pts this season. I see more than one 20 pt game in his future this year. Dude is a baller with nice deep adjustment ability.
great post - the earlier post is shocking . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
:bs:I am considering him this week, at this point it's "money" Lloyd or him. $ Lloyd's been pretty injury prone and I would not put him in the category of 'elite' players whom you don't even look at the injury report. Especially since his deep ball ability is where much of his value derives from, save maybe in a PPR. I am still on the fence on this one. But absent a trip to the IR early, Joe Summer must be wake n blunting if he thinks AJ won't get north of 10 pts this season. I see more than one 20 pt game in his future this year. Dude is a baller with nice deep adjustment ability.
great post - the earlier post is shocking . . .
Unless the hophead now means sarcasm :rolleyes: .come to think of it, wtf does the :hophead: mean? Your heads full of hops and you are as drunk as Joe Strummer before noon?

He was a blown coverage away from getting shutout last week by Haden, I would look to other options if you have them.
So when blanketed by one of top cover corners in the league as a rookie he put up 11 pts. Yeah, that's a reason not to play him...
It was on one play. I think most of us would feel better about his immediate chances had he caught more balls and had more targets. It's like when projecting numbers for two WRs, one of which had 40 catches and 10 TDs last year, and the other of which had 80 catches and 4 TDs; the one who had 80 and 4 is more likely to improve his TD total to 10 than the 40 and 10 guy is to improve his catch total to 80. Make sense? And I have A.J. Green on two teams (and started him one of them last week), but I want to see him become a bigger part of the offense before he becomes an automatic starter nearly every week.

:bs: I am considering him this week, at this point it's "money" Lloyd or him. $ Lloyd's been pretty injury prone and I would not put him in the category of 'elite' players whom you don't even look at the injury report. Especially since his deep ball ability is where much of his value derives from, save maybe in a PPR. I am still on the fence on this one. But absent a trip to the IR early, Joe Summer must be wake n blunting if he thinks AJ won't get north of 10 pts this season. I see more than one 20 pt game in his future this year. Dude is a baller with nice deep adjustment ability as well. Not only that they are the bungles. They'll be down in tons of games and means throw throw throw. You don't take a guy in the 1.6 position not to throw it to him a LOT.
:lmao: :lmao: Don't mind if I do.

Listen to Hipple. He knows things.

he's definitely not an automatic starter . . .

HOwever, you are talking about a guy that some experts have lauded as the best WR to come out since Calvin Johnson - you can't knock him based on one bad game against a very good corner . . .

he will breakout very soon . . .

He was a blown coverage away from getting shutout last week by Haden, I would look to other options if you have them.
So when blanketed by one of top cover corners in the league as a rookie he put up 11 pts. Yeah, that's a reason not to play him...
Being a rookie playing with a rookie QB is enough reason not to play him by itself. Haden wasn't always on Green and still Green's only catch was when the Browns failed to line up properly and literally nobody covered him. I'm a big believer that A.J. is going to be a NFL star, but relying on a rookie WR who didn't have OTAs in a redraft is always going to be a low percentage play.

I'm slotting him in over Mike Thomas as a WR3. Ghost Rider brings up good points about consistency, but A.J. Green has talent, and the matchup is there with Denver's pass D being pretty meh.

I think there is upside there for Green to do well with his targets, I just think that this may be a game where Benson gets 30 carries, given how Denver seems much more susceptible to the run.

It was on one play. I think most of us would feel better about his immediate chances had he caught more balls and had more targets. It's like when projecting numbers for two WRs, one of which had 40 catches and 10 TDs last year, and the other of which had 80 catches and 4 TDs; the one who had 80 and 4 is more likely to improve his TD total to 10 than the 40 and 10 guy is to improve his catch total to 80. Make sense? And I have A.J. Green on two teams (and started him one of them last week), but I want to see him become a bigger part of the offense before he becomes an automatic starter nearly every week.
Oh I agree. Thuse why I am wavering on putting him in at WR 3. But I think that The Browns D and gameplan (take the air out of the ball and grind) had a lot to do with the overall numbers of targets. That and that fact that somewhat in a shock to everyone, that Cincy was up in the game and then you had two teams kind of doing the same thing.

Hipple, I'm guessing you didn't see how he scored. The Browns were still huddled when The Bengals snapped it. There was literally no defensive backs playing his side of the field. That is the only reason he had any points. I would say that playing a rookie who couldn't get open in his first game is not the best move if you have any other decent options.

I'm slotting him in over Mike Thomas as a WR3. Ghost Rider brings up good points about consistency, but A.J. Green has talent, and the matchup is there with Denver's pass D being pretty meh. I think there is upside there for Green to do well with his targets, I just think that this may be a game where Benson gets 30 carries, given how Denver seems much more susceptible to the run.
The benson factor also prolly means a lot more single coverage on the physically gifted Mr. Green. But I agree that I usually like to have guys who get the targets,a s that usually leads to the opportunities. The bengals qb situation/flux also makes the possibility that Cincinatti isn't up and thus can't lean that much on Benson helps too.

Hipple, I'm guessing you didn't see how he scored. The Browns were still huddled when The Bengals snapped it. There was literally no defensive backs playing his side of the field. That is the only reason he had any points. I would say that playing a rookie who couldn't get open in his first game is not the best move if you have any other decent options.
I did not see that. But a nice sign that a rookie had the presence of mine to get lined up and catch them like that at least...

I did not see that. But a nice sign that a rookie had the presence of mine to get lined up and catch them like that at least...
I give. :banned:

I give. :banned:
:suds:

He came through big for me in a couple spots today where I really needed a big receiver game, almost 30 points in PPR leagues.

And he came very close to a couple other long catches that just missed or it would have been an even bigger week.

As a Bengals fan, I am loving what I am seeing out of him and Dalton. I expected to be really impressed with AJ but Dalton has really surprised.

He came through big for me in a couple spots today where I really needed a big receiver game, almost 30 points in PPR leagues. And he came very close to a couple other long catches that just missed or it would have been an even bigger week. As a Bengals fan, I am loving what I am seeing out of him and Dalton. I expected to be really impressed with AJ but Dalton has really surprised.
With the ability the Bengals young guys are showing it'd be nice to see them trade Palmer for some picks so they can expedite the teams rebuild.

Glad Dez was out or he wouldn't have been in my lineup.

Was a stud in college and looks like he could be in the NFL too. Liked what I saw of him in preseason.

He came through big for me in a couple spots today where I really needed a big receiver game, almost 30 points in PPR leagues. And he came very close to a couple other long catches that just missed or it would have been an even bigger week. As a Bengals fan, I am loving what I am seeing out of him and Dalton. I expected to be really impressed with AJ but Dalton has really surprised.
With the ability the Bengals young guys are showing it'd be nice to see them trade Palmer for some picks so they can expedite the teams rebuild.
Totally agree. They may have a pretty nice foundation on offense. LT Andrew Whitworth is great and signed longterm. And the light bulb seems to have gone on finally for RT Andre Smith who is in shape and playing well. With Dalton at QB, Gresham at TE and Green, Simpson and Shipley at WR, most of the pieces are in place.The 2 spots on offense that could use an upgrade would be RB and OG. I could see them going 5-11 or so this year which might put them right in the range where it would make sense to grab a guy like Trent Richardson in the 1st round. Then OG in the 2nd. Maybe trading Palmer nets them another early 2nd rounder to use on defense (safety would be nice)...

Users who are viewing this thread