What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (1 Viewer)

As a football fan I suppose I'm interested to see what he does but I've had the mindset going into this year that he's pretty much done.  The Cardinals are probably a better fit for him though.
I have only seen a couple of his carries this year, so I really don't know what to make of him as far as being done or not. But as a general rule of thumb, I wouldn't ever feel comfortable counting AP out. Plus, Frank Gore is still chugging along... 

It would be a pretty cool story if AP, Fitzgerald, and Palmer were able to string a nice season together. One last hurrah for some very good players past their prime.

I'm tempted to throw the FAAB house at him. 

Remember how bad AP looked behind the Vikings line last year? How much better is this year's Cardinals line?

He can't create on his own anymore. He's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
From 12/1/2015 on, Peterson has had 177 carries for 519 yards in 13 games across parts of 3 seasons (and a playoff game). That's a 2.9 ypc. I guess hope springs eternal for some folks. Good luck to those people who pick him up when (maybe) he gets 15 carries for 40 yards.

I also remember how awesome ADP looked the year before he got hurt. He got hurt, cam back to no touches now he gets a chance. But someone says he is done, so that makes it so. This is the type of player you wait for on the wire.

I agree with what many are saying in regards to Peterson being past his prime.

The move should give him more opportunities than he was getting with the Saints though. Just not sure what that will actually be worth.

Peterson should help the play action passing game for Palmer and their receivers I would think. Could be bad for Palmers health if they ask Peterson to pass block though.

Never made much sense for Peterson to go to the Saints.

Adrian Peterson was the league rushing champion in 2015 (1500yds, 11TDs), then only played 3 games last season behind an abysmal offensive line. The Saints were obviously a poor fit through four games, but now this is the chance for the old man to show he has some gas left. 

Just made an offer to the Adrian Peterson owner. Willing to gamble he has something left, he at least he should get between the 20s and goal line work.

My opinion: AP is the kinda back who needs 15-20 carries to get into the flow of the game and slowly break down the wall of the D-line. 

We can't really know what he can do at his age because he hasn't been afforded the opportunity. 

But now it looks like he has...

Like this very much. He's a FA in one of my leagues and we have Kamara. So it should clean up things for him and maybe get someone to bite on ADP on waivers tonight (giving us a better chance at someone we actually want)

In my brief Saints viewing this year, Peterson showed very little. The power is still there and he showed some ability to finish runs, but I didn't see any burst or shiftiness.

On KAMARA!!!!!

I own ADP and cant help but think the play is to offer him up for trade right this second.  Feels like his perceived value is highest right now.

Adrian Peterson was the league rushing champion in 2015 (1500yds, 11TDs), then only played 3 games last season behind an abysmal offensive line. The Saints were obviously a poor fit through four games, but now this is the chance for the old man to show he has some gas left. 

Just made an offer to the Adrian Peterson owner. Willing to gamble he has something left, he at least he should get between the 20s and goal line work.

My opinion: AP is the kinda back who needs 15-20 carries to get into the flow of the game and slowly break down the wall of the D-line. 

We can't really know what he can do at his age because he hasn't been afforded the opportunity. 

But now it looks like he has...

Confirmed expectation of value is there.

The guy barely got any snaps and touches lately. Not sure how much this helps the NO guys. A tiny bit maybe. Seems like Ingram and Kamara already had their roles set.

Arizona ranks dead last in yards per attempt so far this year at 2.6 ypc. That's 0.6 yards per attempt worse than Miami at #31. Of players with at least 50 carries between 2016 and 2017 combined, ADP ranks 95 out of 96 in ypc (2.39). Only James Starks (2.30) has been worse.

Arizona ranks dead last in yards per attempt so far this year at 2.6 ypc. That's 0.6 yards per attempt worse than Miami at #31. Of players with at least 50 carries between 2016 and 2017 combined, ADP ranks 95 out of 96 in ypc (2.39). Only James Starks (2.30) has been worse.
He might be done, but this logic isn't very convincing. First, you're saying 2016 and 2017 combined like we're looking at a lot of games, but he only played 3 games last year. More importantly, though, YPC is a fickle stat that really needs context. And when you take context into account for AP the YPC argument loses a lot of its weight. In the 3 games he played last year I'm guessing he faced stacked boxes without any OL help (their OL ranked poorly and nobody feared that passing attack). This year the Saints are pretty much broadcasting to the defense that it'll be a run play for the few snaps he plays per game. Maybe it'll be the same way in Arizona, but if he's on the field for 1st and 2nd down for just about every series, I think he's at least got a chance, whereas he hasn't really had a chance in MIN or NO in those 7 games he's played in the past 2 years. So I'm not saying he's still got it or he's lost it. To me, he's got an "incomplete" grade.

As for Arizona, the blocking is a concern, but I firmly believe CJ0.2k is currently the worst RB in the NFL to get more than 5 carries per game. So I think he's a solid contributor to that low number.

I don't really care that much about this from a fantasy standpoint. I'm pretty stacked at RB in the leagues in which he's available (and they're PPR - not the best format for him), but I'm still tempted to throw $$ at him just for old times' sake. But I'm really arguing his case just as a fan of watching him play. I think he's had bad situations for the past 7 games (or 2 years -  however you want to phrase it). I'd like to see him get a shot in Arizona to prove if he's lost it or not because his stints in MIN and NO have not legitimately given him that shot.

I also remember how awesome ADP looked the year before he got hurt. He got hurt, cam back to no touches now he gets a chance. But someone says he is done, so that makes it so. This is the type of player you wait for on the wire.
An over-the-hill has-been on a team with a horrible O-line. Yeah, the type you wait for all season.

This just seems so uninteresting, especially for fantasy football.  Just add more clutter to a backfield.
The Cardinals will cut Chris Johnson.

This news has me a bit more interested in ADP.  The oline is a bigger concern to me than what ADP has left in the tank.  He's got enough juice left to be a serviceable fantasy RB with some TD upside if that line can do anything.

The Cardinals will cut Chris Johnson.

This news has me a bit more interested in ADP.  The oline is a bigger concern to me than what ADP has left in the tank.  He's got enough juice left to be a serviceable fantasy RB with some TD upside if that line can do anything.
They already cut him.

I've been forced to use Ellington on two other teams and I'm not very happy there.
This may have a positive effect on Ellington. A mind bottling 75% of his utilization has come in the form of targets, he's essentially a slot receiver. AP is even less adept at pass catching than CJ. If it's PPR, at the worst I think this has no effect on Ellington.

Peterson is the type of back who runs for 2ypc 8 times and then rips off a 60 yarder so that makes sense. He was a horrible fit for Saints. 
Not sure ADP has the wheels or the moves to rip off a 60 yarder. Just for ha-ha's, I looked at his game logs. He's had 4 runs of 60 yards or more in his last 40 games played (regular season and playoffs) spanning 736 carries. Assuming he is still capable of producing at the same rate, that's 1 run 60 yard run every 10 games and 184 carries.

Peterson is the type of back who runs for 2ypc 8 times and then rips off a 60 yarder so that makes sense. He was a horrible fit for Saints. 
Not sure ADP has the wheels or the moves to rip off a 60 yarder. Just for ha-ha's, I looked at his game logs. He's had 4 runs of 60 yards or more in his last 40 games played (regular season and playoffs) spanning 736 carries. Assuming he is still capable of producing at the same rate, that's 1 run 60 yard run every 10 games and 184 carries.

I threw out an arbitrary number. Can you check some other intervals please sir? Maybe 20+

What resource are you using to find those statistics?

Like most, I am not expecting much from Peterson with this move to AZ, and am focusing my waiver claims elsewhere given the state of ARI's line and offense.

That said, ADP has definitely proven nay-sayers wrong in the past, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he proves us all wrong once again.

I'm happy I got to see one of the greats play in a Saints uniform, even if just for a little bit and in decrepit 2.0 ypc fashion. I enjoyed it. Best of luck to him, I hope he can show he's still got it.
If he DOES show he's still got it-let's say, for discussion, he comes out and he starts putting up 3.8-4.5ypc and cranks out a couple of wins, controls some clock for his team and the Cards win or stay competitive, does that sway Saints fans thinking or opinions about how the Saints are doing business on offense (especially considering some ball/clock control could help that defense out a lot, similar to how the Cowboys did a few years ago)?

Just curious to ask Saints fans.

If he DOES show he's still got it-let's say, for discussion, he comes out and he starts putting up 3.8-4.5ypc and cranks out a couple of wins, controls some clock for his team and the Cards win or stay competitive, does that sway Saints fans thinking or opinions about how the Saints are doing business on offense (especially considering some ball/clock control could help that defense out a lot, similar to how the Cowboys did a few years ago)?

I think the idea was look at what Hightower, Robinson & Ivory had done in the past. Yeah when they established the run game, it freed up Brees and helped the defense. They have done it before. - But there's something weird about the Saints' run blocking scheme, which is zone based, it's not that easy to get. Supposedly AP had run in a similar scheme in MIN, but he seemed to miss the gaps when he got his chances for the Saints. Brees is a crutch, it's an ace in the hole. If the run game doesn't work and the defense is a sieve and the team is suddenly down 2 scores, hell yeah turn to Brees. Fans just wonder why they can't ever figure this out, year after year.

Who ever is subscribed should check out Wadman's article on this situation.

Palmer and that offense like to operate with Palmer under center. Like to run that offense out of the I formation. 

AP could be done, but this is a better fit offense for him and they need somebody. Per Waldman, he doesn't see a ton of dropoff from AP...it's more of a) Will AZ commit to the run, and b) Will that O-line perform/get in a groove if they do indeed commit and give AP 15 carries.

I think it's worth a shot. 

kyoun1e said:
Who ever is subscribed should check out Wadman's article on this situation.

Palmer and that offense like to operate with Palmer under center. Like to run that offense out of the I formation. 

AP could be done, but this is a better fit offense for him and they need somebody. Per Waldman, he doesn't see a ton of dropoff from AP...it's more of a) Will AZ commit to the run, and b) Will that O-line perform/get in a groove if they do indeed commit and give AP 15 carries.

I think it's worth a shot. 
I missed on the rest of the waiver darlings but landed AP. Don’t have much hope, but at this point in the season a warm body getting carries holds value.

I think AP could surprise by years end.. he's not exactly DJ but I think he has some power run ability left, better than anyone else on the Cards roster

Why wouldn't they just be able to do that with Ingram if they wanted to?

Users who are viewing this thread