What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson breaks collarbone (1 Viewer)

I realize this is the NFL forum, but this is huge in the world of football.

Hope he's alright, he's a phenomenal player and from what I can tell, a good guy.

Jinx:

Peterson's dad watches son score touchdown

By JEFF LATZKE, AP Sports Writer

October 14, 2006

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Playing in front of his father for the first time in college, Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson scored a touchdown on his third carry Saturday against Iowa State.

On his first carry, Peterson took a handoff to the left, then cut back to the right for a 40-yard gain to set up the No. 23 Sooners with first-and-goal at the 9. After a 3-yard pickup, he ran left and dodged three diving Cyclones to score from 6 yards out.

He had no special celebration for his father, who was in the stands wearing a white turtleneck with an OU logo. He simply tossed the ball to the nearest official, then headed to his usual spot on Oklahoma's bench.

Peterson's dad missed out on his son's impressive high school career and his record-setting freshman season, in which he finished second in voting for the Heisman Trophy. He was released from an Oklahoma City halfway house last week, and Saturday was the first time since Little League he was able to see one of his son's games in person.

Nelson Peterson had been locked up for about eight years for a federal money laundering conviction but had been able to keep in touch with Adrian. He even met with Sooners coach Bob Stoops during the recruiting process.

I realize this is the NFL forum, but this is huge in the world of football. Hope he's alright, he's a phenomenal player and from what I can tell, a good guy.
This is huge news for dynasty leagues, and football in general.Not much info out on the injury yet, but he is definitely out for season with broken collarbone.

Out

JEFF LATZKE

Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. - Heisman Trophy hopeful Adrian Peterson broke his collarbone on a dive into the end zone Saturday, and the Oklahoma star running back will miss the rest of the regular season.

Peterson was injured on his last carry of the game - a 53-yard scoring run with about 6:40 remaining that completed the 23rd-ranked Sooners' 34-9 win over Iowa State.

Peterson ran for 183 yards and two touchdowns.

Peterson, a junior, who has 1,030 yards this season and entered the weekend as the nation's fourth-leading rusher, was second in Heisman voting as a freshman. He was playing for the first time in years before his father, who had spent about eight years in federal prison for money laundering.

"Just diving into the end zone and when he landed, he landed wrong," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "At this point it looks like the best thing, the earliest he would be ready to play, would be a bowl game."

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, given the number of carries that Oklahoma gives Peterson I would almost rather him not play another 6 games. I belive that anyone scouting him has seen enough and from a long term NFL career and fantasy football standpoint really he has nothing new to prove. IMO, he is still the number 1 RB on your fantasy board.

Honestly, given the number of carries that Oklahoma gives Peterson I would almost rather him not play another 6 games. I belive that anyone scouting him has seen enough and from a long term NFL career and fantasy football standpoint really he has nothing new to prove. IMO, he is still the number RB on your fantasy board.
I still think he's the #1 RB if he comes out for the draft. Does anyone know of other RB's that have had broken collarbones and if it had a long-term affect?

Sorry if :Honda: Here is the news from a local paper:

http://www.newsok.com/article/2956172/?template=sports/ou

Peterson injured, out indefinitely

NORMAN — Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson is out indefinitely with a broken left collarbone, OU coach Bob Stoops reported after Saturday’s 34-9 victory over Iowa State.

Peterson suffered the injury when he dove into the end zone at the end of a 53-yard touchdown run with 6:35 left to play.

Stoops said early reports indicate that the earliest Peterson could return would be for a potential OU bowl game.

"Just diving into the end zone and when he landed, he landed wrong," Stoops said. "At this point it looks like the best thing, the earliest he would be ready to play, would be a bowl game."

Oklahoma was well in control of the game when the injury happened.

Ahead 27-9, the Sooners forced Iowa State to punt, taking over at their own 47-yard line. On first-and-10, quarterback Paul Thompson handed off to Peterson, who squirted up the middle through a gaping hole. Peterson spun off two Iowa State defenders and headed toward the endzone.

As he approached the 10-yard line, Cyclone cornerback Chris Singleton dove at Peterson’s ankle, tripping him up slightly. Peterson maintained his footing long enough to dive into the endzone. But he landed hard on his left shoulder.

Peterson didn’t seem to be injured as he left the field after the play. By the time Oklahoma regained possession, the game was in garbage time. Allen Patrick played OU’s final series.

Peterson had 130 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries before the long run. He finished with 228 total yards and two scores with his father watching from the stands for the first time.

Nelson Peterson was released from an Oklahoma City halfway house nine days ago. He was in jail for nearly eight years on a federal money laundering conviction and missed his son's high school career at Palestine, Texas and all of Adrian's first two seasons at OU.

Peterson entered the game as the nation’s fourth-leading rusher and one of the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy. Peterson has 1,030 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns on the season.

Honestly, given the number of carries that Oklahoma gives Peterson I would almost rather him not play another 6 games. I belive that anyone scouting him has seen enough and from a long term NFL career and fantasy football standpoint really he has nothing new to prove. IMO, he is still the number RB on your fantasy board.
I still think he's the #1 RB if he comes out for the draft. Does anyone know of other RB's that have had broken collarbones and if it had a long-term affect?
Julius Jones in his first season in the NFL. He came back around Thanksgiving getting 30+ carries and 100+ yards per game.

it looked like the broke his collarbone because he was extending his arms to set up for the dive into the goal move and then landed ackwardly.

As an owner that plays with a college roster this is even bigger. It has HUGE implications in my league.

I pulled an article on fractured collarbones (clavicles) from our med school library. After reading it, there are a few different types: the clavicle can bend (plastic deformation), bend and fracture partially (greenstick fracture), or bend and fracture completely. Most clavicle fractures involve the middle part of the bone because this is where it turns upwards and the physics of most blows make this the weak spot.

Treatment for clavicle fractures focuses on pain control and limiting painful motion. A sling or a sling and swath can support the arm and prevent a patient from excessive and/or painful movements.

Depending on the age of the patient and the degree of deformity, clavicles can sufficiently heal to return to sports within 6 to 12 weeks. It may take longer to return to contact and collision sports or sports that place high demands on the shoulder than sports that use primarily the lower extremity. So a football player would be worse off than say a soccer player.

I would say that this isn't that big of a deal. Unless your a Sooner fan. AD has plenty of time to heal.

I don't see how this is anything but a good thing. There's no point in him risking a serious knee injury and wear and tear in college and the sooner he gets to the NFL the better. A broken collarbone is a fluke injury and shouldn't affect him long-term.

I saw the play when it happened. Knowing a pat and commercials were coming I changed channels to another game not knowing he was hurt. Now ESPN shows the play every 20 minutes, and you know what? I can't figure out how that fall broke his collar bone. This dude is fragile.

cstu said:
I don't see how this is anything but a good thing. There's no point in him risking a serious knee injury and wear and tear in college and the sooner he gets to the NFL the better.
Maybe he wanted to win the Heisman?

Gandalf said:
As an owner that plays with a college roster this is even bigger. It has HUGE implications in my league.

I pulled and article on fractured collarbones (clavicles) from our med school library. After reading it, there are a few different types: the clavicle can bend (plastic deformation), bend and fracture partially (greenstick fracture), or bend and fracture completely. Most clavicle fractures involve the middle part of the bone because this is where it turns upwards and the physics of most blows make this the weak spot.

Treatment for clavicle fractures focuses on pain control and limiting painful motion. A sling or a sling and swath can support the arm and prevent a patient from excessive and/or painful movements.

Depending on the age of the patient and the degree of deformity, clavicles can sufficiently heal to return to sports within 6 to 12 weeks. It may take longer to return to contact and collision sports or sports that place high demands on the shoulder than sports that use primarily the lower extremity. So a football player would be worse off than say a soccer player.

I would say that this isn't that big of a deal. Unless your a Sooner fan. AD has plenty of time to heal.
:goodposting: Rarely, clavicle fractures are severe enough (non-union fractures -- where the two ends of the bone are displaced and overlap) where the natural healing process is insufficient and surgery is required. Charles Rogers had issues with this. Also, fractures near the sternum or AC joint are more likely to require additional intervention or be associated with other important injuries.

Assuming the injury is to the middle of the bone, this injury shouldn't limit his pre-draft prep much assuming he doesn't return for a bowl game and re-injure the bone. The concern here, as CC and others have said, is that his running style puts him at risk for injury -- any injury.

Chaos Commish said:
I saw the play when it happened. Knowing a pat and commercials were coming I changed channels to another game not knowing he was hurt. Now ESPN shows the play every 20 minutes, and you know what? I can't figure out how that fall broke his collar bone. This dude is fragile.
I think a freak injury to being fragile is a pretty big logical leap. edit: grammar

this is crazy first bush now peterson...the draft is really gonna be effected by this...kenny irons now can really prove himself.

this is crazy first bush now peterson...the draft is really gonna be effected by this...kenny irons now can really prove himself.
Peterson's injury won't affect his draft status.
Of course it will - the NFL draft will def. be affected.FF dynasty drafts, maybe not so much.
Why do you see it affecting his draft status, Marc? Medical concern? Inability to prepare for pre-draft workouts? Too worrisome to NFL front offices that he's injury prone?I'm not sure I agree, but I'm not enough of a college guy to know where he was already expected to go in the 07 draft.

I think a freak injury to being fragile is a pretty big logical leap.
I don't know if I'd go with fragile, perhaps brittle to break it on that fall - drink a glass of milk AD - but his durability has been a problem. Shoulder surgery, sprained ankle, now this. That said, I don't see it preventing him from still being the first back chosen and possibly first player overall. He has the crazy talent worth the risk.

As I said, I don't think this will hurt Peterson's draft value, but if it did, it helps Marshawn Lynch more than Kenny Irons, since he will go before him.

I don't know if I'd go with fragile, perhaps brittle to break it on that fall - drink a glass of milk AD - but his durability has been a problem. Shoulder surgery, sprained ankle, now this. That said, I don't see it preventing him from still being the first back chosen and possibly first player overall. He has the crazy talent worth the risk.
My biggest issue with him is that his style leads to increasing the chances of injury. He is an all out player with an upright style and definately does not avoid hits, so some concern is warranted, but the types of injury (sprained ankle and freak collar bone in particular) are not the type generally associated with a player whose body is unable to hold up.

My biggest issue with him is that his style leads to increasing the chances of injury. He is an all out player with an upright style and definately does not avoid hits, so some concern is warranted, but the types of injury (sprained ankle and freak collar bone in particular) are not the type generally associated with a player whose body is unable to hold up.
I definitely agree with concerns over his running style. His combination of balance and power are unbelievable. You know who else I said that about way back? Fred Taylor. You know who had a broken collar bone and ankle/shoulder issues in college. DeShaun Foster. Foster also has superb balance to go with nice power. These guys don't know when to go down. And that's where style gets them hurt. Look no further than Foster keeping his feet a tick too long and breaking his leg last year. Peterson is better than Foster at just about everything Foster is good at, including staying up when he should go down.Mix this freak/brittle collar bone in and I think worrying about his career being marred by injury is warranted. Btw, I am no hater. I am on record with nothing but crazy high praise for Peterson.

Of course it will - the NFL draft will def. be affected.
How so?
I understand there are differences, but if McGahee dropped from top 3 to #23, this could drop Peterson some. Not as much, but top 3 (maybe #1) to 10-15 range is possible. In other words, from Oakland to the Jets. Then again, maybe Al Davis takes him anyway?

How so?
I understand there are differences, but if McGahee dropped from top 3 to #23, this could drop Peterson some. Not as much, but top 3 (maybe #1) to 10-15 range is possible. In other words, from Oakland to the Jets. Then again, maybe Al Davis takes him anyway?
Problem is there's no HONEST way of knowing when Peterson would have gone without the injury. I have seem him anywhere from #1 to #8 in very early mocks. Considering RBs are always hyped early and a few DBs always sneak ahead of them, I think it IS possible Peterson would have barely made the top 10 before the injury, and I agree with those who doubt this changes anything. A lot will depend on who has the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. pick in the draft. He should still be #1 in rookie drafts.

How so?
McGahee suffered a drastically more severe injury.Peterson, as far as we currently know given that some are speculating he may return for a bowl game, has an uncomplicated clavicle fracture. It's more than 6 months to draft day and even the most conservative estimates would place full recovery from this injury at 12 weeks. Assuming there's no unusual circumstances with the original injury and no complications during the healing process, I can't see any long-term medical concern with this particular injury.

How so?
McGahee suffered a drastically more severe injury.Peterson, as far as we currently know given that some are speculating he may return for a bowl game, has an uncomplicated clavicle fracture. It's more than 6 months to draft day and even the most conservative estimates would place full recovery from this injury at 12 weeks. Assuming there's no unusual circumstances with the original injury and no complications during the healing process, I can't see any long-term medical concern with this particular injury.
No, you're most likely right. I still think it's reasonable to see him dropping some in the draft. If he totally dominates the bowl game (if it's a good bowl) or sets the combine on fire, I can see him top 5, but I highly doubt he'd go #1 at this point. He had that chance before.

How so?
Problem is there's no HONEST way of knowing when Peterson would have gone without the injury. I have seem him anywhere from #1 to #8 in very early mocks. Considering RBs are always hyped early and a few DBs always sneak ahead of them, I think it IS possible Peterson would have barely made the top 10 before the injury, and I agree with those who doubt this changes anything. A lot will depend on who has the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. pick in the draft. He should still be #1 in rookie drafts.
Yeah, well, I said it clearly affects the draft b/c now there is no way he's number one. Slightly more likely he's #2-#4, and it is most likely he falls to #5 or lower.If he played the year out with a Bowl game, I'm confident we'd be talking about him or Quinn #1 overall. And, with Bush getting injured, Peterson had an EXCELLENT chance to be the clear #1 overall pick.

Now, I don't think he'll go higher than #5.

No, you're most likely right. I still think it's reasonable to see him dropping some in the draft. If he totally dominates the bowl game (if it's a good bowl) or sets the combine on fire, I can see him top 5, but I highly doubt he'd go #1 at this point. He had that chance before.
That's pure speculation, OZ. He has a chance to go #1 right now if he misses the rest of the season. I don't think anyone can realistically make these kind of statements with any accuracy. No sense sensationalizing a clavicle. It doesn't change his value to an NFL team, imo.

Yeah, well, I said it clearly affects the draft b/c now there is no way he's number one. Slightly more likely he's #2-#4, and it is most likely he falls to #5 or lower.If he played the year out with a Bowl game, I'm confident we'd be talking about him or Quinn #1 overall. And, with Bush getting injured, Peterson had an EXCELLENT chance to be the clear #1 overall pick.Now, I don't think he'll go higher than #5.
I find this post incredibly presumptuous. A clavicle doesn't change his value to an NFL team and to suggest is does seems silly to me.

Yeah, well, I said it clearly affects the draft b/c now there is no way he's number one. Slightly more likely he's #2-#4, and it is most likely he falls to #5 or lower.If he played the year out with a Bowl game, I'm confident we'd be talking about him or Quinn #1 overall. And, with Bush getting injured, Peterson had an EXCELLENT chance to be the clear #1 overall pick.Now, I don't think he'll go higher than #5.
I find this post incredibly presumptuous. A clavicle doesn't change his value to an NFL team and to suggest is does seems silly to me.
But add to it his other minor injuries and a reputation could start developing.

I definitely agree with concerns over his running style. His combination of balance and power are unbelievable. You know who else I said that about way back? Fred Taylor. You know who had a broken collar bone and ankle/shoulder issues in college. DeShaun Foster. Foster also has superb balance to go with nice power. These guys don't know when to go down. And that's where style gets them hurt. Look no further than Foster keeping his feet a tick too long and breaking his leg last year. Peterson is better than Foster at just about everything Foster is good at, including staying up when he should go down.Mix this freak/brittle collar bone in and I think worrying about his career being marred by injury is warranted. Btw, I am no hater. I am on record with nothing but crazy high praise for Peterson.
I really forgot about Fred in college. Foster is an outstanding example as none of his injuries have been the his body can't hold up nagging things, but have been seemingly freakish he broke a bone type. The question if you are an NFL team then becomes do you think he can give the organization Earl Campbell/Eddie George type five years before he totally breaks down or doea he give up the hair pulling out experience of Taylor/Foster.

Users who are viewing this thread