What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adam Shaheen, TE (MIA) (1 Viewer)

I like Shaheen but adding Burton it feels like this is a TE situation to avoid.  
I agree.

However right after Burton was signed I recall people ranking Burton as a top 10 TE for some reason.

Shaheen should be a nice buy in dynasty formats.

Let me get this straight, you're claiming that NFL team's perception of their own roster has no cause in their selection of free agents?

Would you argue that the 49ers signing Jerick McKinnon has no relevance on their view of Joe Williams or Matt Breida as a potential starting NFL running back? That the team thought they already had their starting RB on the roster but threw big money at McKinnon for depth?

It's fair to argue that you believe Shaheen will prove a better player than Burton, but it seems silly to suggest that the Bears paid starter's money for a free agent they don't plan to start.
No, I am claiming the signing of Burton is not an indicator of what they think of Shaheen.  It's simply that they like Burton enough to offer him that contract.  They might like Shaheen.  They might not.  Neither precludes them from signing Burton.  It's possible they like Shaheen just as much but just don't have to pay him that much yet because he's only in his 2nd season.

If they had a choice of which TE to give that contract to and gave it to Burton then yes, it would be appropriate to infer they liked Burton more or didn't like Shaheen.  But the signing of Burton alone is not enough information to determine anything about Shaheen.  It's most likely that they don't know what they have in Shaheen and since they have some money and there's a TE that needs some money they decided to give him some money and bring him on.  If Shaheen ends up the next Gronkoswki that's fine, they will be able to find a way to use them both. 

I'm thinking a lot of Shaheen's value is going to be dependent on how often Nagy utilizes 12 personnel packages. I think the combo of Burton and Shaheen kind of forces Nagy's hand plus Trubisky fared better in 12 personnel packages than he did 11 last year. Ultimately, however, it kind of feels like Shaheen is putting more of a damper on Burton's value.

Besides Burton, I see Anthony Miller robing Shaheen of any meaningful value.  I don't see how you could start Shaheen.

Bears coach Matt Nagy said Adam Shaheen will "be a big part of this offense."

With Dion Sims sidelined by a concussion, Shaheen got the start in the second preseason game and showed well, catching three passes for 53 yards. "We're trying to fine-tune some of his route-running skills and what he does versus specific coverages," Nagy said. "So for him to come out here and play well, that was good for him." It will be tough for Shaheen to earn fantasy value behind Trey Burton -- his production against the Bengals came with the second-team offense -- but he can still be a weapon for Chicago.

Source: Chicago Tribune 

Aug 13 - 11:33 AM

Bears coach Matt Nagy said Adam Shaheen will "be a big part of this offense."

With Dion Sims sidelined by a concussion, Shaheen got the start in the second preseason game and showed well, catching three passes for 53 yards. "We're trying to fine-tune some of his route-running skills and what he does versus specific coverages," Nagy said. "So for him to come out here and play well, that was good for him." It will be tough for Shaheen to earn fantasy value behind Trey Burton -- his production against the Bengals came with the second-team offense -- but he can still be a weapon for Chicago.

Source: Chicago Tribune 

Aug 13 - 11:33 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So glad I had the sense to go all-in on the 2017 TE class. Engram, Shaheen, Kittle and Butt. I honestly think when it's all said and done Shaheen might have the better career than Engram. In the right offense he will be downright beastly.

his limited blocking skills will keep him off the field more than anything. he's going to be a weapon/target in the red zone, imo. he's just too big, too viable a target to keep him off the field there. tremendous mismatch when he's on the field.

I picked him up cheaply (I thought so, at least) in two FFPC leagues recently, 1.5 PPR for TE. Dealing Tyrell Williams for him in one, and Kevin White for him in another. Upside is certainly there and I'm not too high on Burton long-term - feels like a transitional starter who got good money in a tight year for TE FAs. 

I picked him up cheaply (I thought so, at least) in two FFPC leagues recently, 1.5 PPR for TE. Dealing Tyrell Williams for him in one, and Kevin White for him in another. Upside is certainly there and I'm not too high on Burton long-term - feels like a transitional starter who got good money in a tight year for TE FAs. 
Tyrell could make you regret this, but those aren’t bad prices.

The combination of him looking lost last year and the signing of Trey Burton is severely depressing his ADP to the point he is looking like a bargain, especially in best ball leagues. One of the best things going for Shaheen is that there is no more Fox/Loggains this year. Nagy will utilize the TEs and is smart enough to see that Shaheen can be a match up nightmare. Even with Burton, I'm predicting a big leap in year 2 for him.

tombonneau said:
So glad I had the sense to go all-in on the 2017 TE class. Engram, Shaheen, Kittle and Butt.
Unless you have massive rosters and a bevy of picks to waste, this seems like a terrible use of draft capital. 

It just seems like you have to waste a roster slot for so long for young TEs to become viable, I’d rather pay slightly more after they start doing a little something. 

Unless you have massive rosters and a bevy of picks to waste, this seems like a terrible use of draft capital. 

It just seems like you have to waste a roster slot for so long for young TEs to become viable, I’d rather pay slightly more after they start doing a little something. 
Kittle and Butt were UDFA. Had Butt on IR and dealt him last season. Just dealt Kittle for Brate and early 2019 2nd.

And considering Engram was TE5 and Kittle was a TE2, Shaheen was now the only developmental spot I was gonna need to stick on taxi squad. Now seems like return might be earlier than expected. 

It was a gamble last season but I really liked this TE class.  Turns out I was right. It doesn't happen often. Allow the gloat. ?

The combination of him looking lost last year and the signing of Trey Burton is severely depressing his ADP to the point he is looking like a bargain, especially in best ball leagues. One of the best things going for Shaheen is that there is no more Fox/Loggains this year. Nagy will utilize the TEs and is smart enough to see that Shaheen can be a match up nightmare. Even with Burton, I'm predicting a big leap in year 2 for him.
Shhhh

I'm picking him up everywhere I can

Standard scoring.  Hurting at TE. Traded Cohen for Shaheen. 
Well that's just nuts imo.

I’m a big Shaheen believer but that is an overpay 
It's all relative. Nonppr league. I'm in 2nd year of a rebuild team I took over. Thin at TE. Cohen isn't going to overtake Howard at any point and I don't view him as a long term answer for me at RB. Shaheen is in the developmental stages still but I like his talent to have a shot at moving to the next level along with the young qb in Nagy's offense. I like Cohen, too. Big Bears fan. But a TE of the future is a big need for me. 

It's all relative. Nonppr league. I'm in 2nd year of a rebuild team I took over. Thin at TE. Cohen isn't going to overtake Howard at any point and I don't view him as a long term answer for me at RB. Shaheen is in the developmental stages still but I like his talent to have a shot at moving to the next level along with the young qb in Nagy's offense. I like Cohen, too. Big Bears fan. But a TE of the future is a big need for me. 
I think that's a fair trade in non-ppr. Cohen is RB3 in standard. Shaheen upside is top 3 dynasty TE if Nagy stays put. And that's independent of Mitch development. 

Bears TE Adam Shaheen was carted off the field with a right ankle injury in Saturday night's preseason game.

Shaheen made a short catch, then drew a helmet to the leg. He came off hobbling and was eventually carted to the locker room. Shaheen has been having a solid camp and preseason after turning in an underrated rookie campaign.

Aug 18 - 9:17 PM

Assuming it looked bad?
Just saw it while watching a replay on Game Pass, it didn't look all that bad at first blush, but his reaction to walking on it at all was pretty bad. His cleats stick in the turf while going down at an angle and you can see his foot snap straight after it gets out of the turf, no super extreme angle, but definitely a lot of sudden movement. Hopeful it is just an ankle sprain personally.

Just saw it while watching a replay on Game Pass, it didn't look all that bad at first blush, but his reaction to walking on it at all was pretty bad. His cleats stick in the turf while going down at an angle and you can see his foot snap straight after it gets out of the turf, no super extreme angle, but definitely a lot of sudden movement. Hopeful it is just an ankle sprain personally.
Looked like a bad sprain. Usually a month or so and lingers. We'll see

mcintyre1 said:
But his reaction immediately after it happened on the sideline was different than an ankle sprain. I've sprained my ankle often and it hurts like the dickens. He didn't react like that. He crawled along the ground. I hope I'm wrong and it is just an ankle sprain.

Bears coach Matt Nagy does not expect Adam Shaheen (foot) to end up on injured reserve.

Shaheen's injury was originally called a sprain, but an MRI revealed "additional damage." Avoiding injured reserve would be a good outcome, but it still seems unlikely Shaheen is ready for the start of the season.

Source: Adam Jahns on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 11:04 AM

Bears GM Ryan Pace said TE Adam Shaheen (ankle, foot) will be placed on injured reserve.

He's still recovering from injuries to his right foot and ankle. Shaheen will be sidelined through at least the first eight weeks of the regular season, though the Bears are hopeful he'll return at some point this year. Free-agent signing Trey Burton should be close to an every-down player during his absence.

Source: Brad Biggs on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 2:50 PM

Bears activated TE Adam Shaheen (foot) from injured reserve.

Chicago will reportedly move TE Dion Sims (concussion) to injured reserve in a corresponding move. Shaheen isn't a threat to Trey Burton directly, but could eventually steal targets down the stretch as he'll likely add another layer to the Bears' offense, especially in the red zone. His on-field usage will be worth monitoring in the coming weeks.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Nov 17 - 2:03 PM

What’s the story with this guy? I read a FG subscriber article this week and they made it sound like he will impact Burton more than people think 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears activate tight end Adam Shaheen from injured reserve ahead of Vikings game

The Bears activated Adam Shaheen from injured reserve Saturday, enabling him to play Sunday night against the Vikings at Soldier Field.

To make room on the active roster for the second-year tight end, the Bears put tight end Dion Sims (concussion) on injured reserve.

Shaheen suffered a right foot injury on Aug. 18 in an exhibition game against the Broncos. He remained on the active roster when it was cut down to 53 players, which made him eligible to return from injured reserve.

Before Shaheen got hurt, he demonstrated growth as a receiver and blocker in training camp. The Bears expect him to use his 6-foot-6 frame and strength to be a red-zone pass-catching threat, and that at least was the case during preseason practices.

As a rookie out of Division II Ashland University in Ohio, Shaheen caught only 12 passes for 127 yards. But his three touchdown receptions led the Bears.

This season, with Trey Burton entrenched as the “U” tight end — which is more of a receiving role in coach Matt Nagy’s offense — Shaheen projects as a “Y” (more traditional in-line) tight end.

Faust beat me to again (no surprise there).

I think its interesting that the Bears activated Shaheen and IR Sims because Sims having a concussion, he should be able to recover and play in another week or two. So this seems more like a permanent change in the lineup/depth chart now that Shaheen is healthy.

Does this effect Burton in any way?
Not likely.

I thought Shaheen had more of a shot to compete for the receiving TE role before he got injured (as discussed earlier in the thread) but I think Burton has established himself in the offense now so I don't see that changing.

As speculated in Fausts post above, Shaheen is expected to play more in line in a blocking role, while Burton plays unattached. So they are playing different positions in the offense.

Shaheen is a very good red zone target. Maybe you see some changes there.

Bears coach Matt Nagy believes Adam Shaheen improved as a blocker last season.

"I thought, as a ‘Y’ tight end, holding the end of the line of scrimmage and the point, he can do that, He’s a big guy," Nagy said. "Then route-running, he’s not going to give you the wiggle-wiggle that some of the ‘U’ tight ends do. But he’s a bigger-type person." After playing just 19 games in two seasons, health will be the most important thing for Shaheen, but it sounds like he will have a role as an in-line blocker, especially with Dion Sims out the door. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that role returns much fantasy value.

SOURCE: Chicago Sun-Times

Apr 11, 2019, 9:14 AM

Users who are viewing this thread