What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

i remember this show, i assumed this guy died ages ago. thought they were like 50, 50 years ago.
One of the few reasons I wish I was born a few years older than I was.

He pulled off one of the greatest, if not the greatest, coups in TV history when his show replaced Jack Benny. CBS execs probably thought they were getting a like-for-like replacement but instead got one of the most politically charged shows of all time, with one of the greatest writing teams of all time.

with one of the greatest writing teams of all time.
Shooting from the hip here, so I know I'll forget someone: Albert Brooks, Pat Paulson, Steve Martin, Rob Reiner, plus the Brothers themselves. Who am I forgetting?

I was really young when the show originally aired, so most of their stuff went way over my head. But they had enough goofiness that even a 5-7 year-old could laugh.

Shooting from the hip here, so I know I'll forget someone: Albert Brooks, Pat Paulson, Steve Martin, Rob Reiner, plus the Brothers themselves. Who am I forgetting?

I was really young when the show originally aired, so most of their stuff went way over my head. But they had enough goofiness that even a 5-7 year-old could laugh.
Bob Einstein, aka Super Dave Osborne

Others given writing credits for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour include:

• Mason Williams, also known for writing, recording and charting with the song 'Classical Gas.'
  • Alan Blye, who also won writing Emmys for his work on The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, Van Dyke and Company, as well as a relatively little-known in the U.S. Canadian sketch comedy show Bizarre, which also starred Super Dave and John Byner.
  • Murray Roman, a Lenny Bruce wannabe whose life was cut short in an auto accident.
  • Carl Gottlieb, who also has writing credits on The Bob Newhart Show, All in the Family and The Odd Couple. He also appeared on screen the movie version of M*A*S*H* and Clueless. His most under-the-radar contribution is probably reworking the original script of Jaws (in which he also appeared), and he received co-writing credits for Steve Martin's The Jerk.
  • Paul Wayne, a writer/musician who also wrote for The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, Van Dyke and Company, plus writing credits for episodes of All in the Family and Three's Company.
  • Hal Goldman, who also won Emmys as a director.
  • Ernest Chambers, who also has writing credits for the Dennis the Menace movie (1993).
  • Al Gordon, who also wrote for the Jack Benny Show, The Carol Burnett Show, The Tony Orlando show, Three's Company and 227.
  • Ron Clark, whose writing credits also include The Danny Kaye Show, That Girl, Silver Spoons, Moonlighting, and more impressively, co-writer credits on the movies High Anxiety, Silent Movie, Revenge of the Pink Panther and Life Stinks.
  • Lorenzo Music, whose name may be familiar as the voice of Carlton the Doorman from the Bob Newhart Show (which he co-created) and the original voice of Garfield (as well as a laundry list of other voice work). He also wrote for The Mary Tyler Moore Show and its spin-off, Rhoda.
  • Stan Bobrick, whose TV writing credits include Captain Kangaroo, The Andy Griffith Show, Bewitched, The Flintstones, Get Smart and Saved by the Bell. He also wrote over 40 stage plays and won an Edgar Award for one in 2011.
  • Gene Farmer, who also wrote for Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in and Sanford and Son.
This is not the complete list; there are a few others who either only ever wrote for this show and/or made their mark in radio. Nevertheless, with Steve Martin still at least in the periphery of the zeitgeist, traces of Tommy's eye for talent and his bravery to trust his instincts are still affecting the comedy world 55 years later.

Albert Brooks brother I believe.

His father was in show business too.

True. So Albert Brooks' real name is Albert Einstein.

Herb Kohl, co-founder of the department store chain, former owner of the Milwaukee Bucks and former senator from Wisconsin, died at age 88 after a brief illness. RIP.

Big fan of his milk house at the Wisconsin State Fair. The root beer flavor was tops.
I went to summer camp in WI with his grandson. Met Herb a few times and he was a very down-to-earth nice guy.

Last edited:
Former DePaul coach Joey Meyer passed away.

oh man, I still think of him as young guy with glasses taking over for his dad ...

saw the recent pic - wouldn't have recognized him
He looked like he was 25 when he was 45. I haven't seen any pictures of him after he retired, though.

Chicks founding member Laura Lynch died in a head-on crash on Friday.
The Dixie Chicks spent 6+ years toiling on the outskirts of the country music world in their formative days (1989-95), releasing 3 well-crafted indie albums featuring a musical style that emphasized bluegrass and old-time western swing at its core. They developed a regional following, but the mainstream world didn't take interest. They were initially a foursome (with 2 of the ladies sharing lead vocals), then down to a trio with Laura Lynch as lead singer. I hate to say that Lynch's departure was inevitable, but the unfortunate reality of the situation was that she was 10+ years older than the other two members of the group, and she was trying to balance her personal life (she was a single mother) with the band's attempts to chase a career in the music biz. Eventually, the two younger Chicks decided to go in an even younger direction, replacing Lynch with the 20-year-old daughter of one of their musical collaborators. Lynch subsequently quit the business and never sang professionally again.

Anyway, those first 3 albums are great and well-worth seeking out if you're a fan of traditional country, Americana-style music. This band really had nothing to do with the namesake which found mainstream superstardom in the early 2000s, at least on a musical level. Some highlights:

"West Texas Wind"
"You Send Me" (Sam Cooke cover)
"A Heart That Can"
"Desire"
"I've Only Got Myself To Blame"

The Dixie Chicks spent 6+ years toiling on the outskirts of the country music world in their formative days (1989-95), releasing 3 well-crafted indie albums featuring a musical style that emphasized bluegrass and old-time western swing at its core. They developed a regional following, but the mainstream world didn't take interest. They were initially a foursome (with 2 of the ladies sharing lead vocals), then down to a trio with Laura Lynch as lead singer. I hate to say that Lynch's departure was inevitable, but the unfortunate reality of the situation was that she was 10+ years older than the other two members of the group, and she was trying to balance her personal life (she was a single mother) with the band's attempts to chase a career in the music biz. Eventually, the two younger Chicks decided to go in an even younger direction, replacing Lynch with the 20-year-old daughter of one of their musical collaborators. Lynch subsequently quit the business and never sang professionally again.

Anyway, those first 3 albums are great and well-worth seeking out if you're a fan of traditional country, Americana-style music. This band really had nothing to do with the namesake which found mainstream superstardom in the early 2000s, at least on a musical level. Some highlights:

"West Texas Wind"
"A Heart That Can"
"Desire"

I didn't know any of this so thanks for the education and the musical backdrop for me tonight.

Tom Wilkinson

I remember him in The Full Monty, but the first role I think of when I hear his name is in the film "In The Bedroom" with Sissy Spacek.

:goodposting: "In the Bedroom" was when I stood up and took notice of him, and I sought out his every role since then. To @Uruk-Hai 's point, one of the best performances I've ever seen in a movie I otherwise didn't love was his in Michael Clayton. Truly this was one of the best actors I've ever seen. He's on par with Robert Duvall and few others in my opinion.

"West Texas Wind"
"A Heart That Can"
"Desire"
Probably should take it to a new thread but I do you have opinions on Lloyd Maines the musical collaborator?

"West Texas Wind"
"A Heart That Can"
"Desire"
Probably should take it to a new thread but I do you have opinions on Lloyd Maines the musical collaborator?
Don't know much about Lloyd except that he's super talented and he's one of those session guys who have a knack for making a record sound better than it should have been. (He's playing the steel guitar parts on the above tracks, btw.) I've heard rumors that he was a bit of a Svengali to the Erwin sisters, whispering into their ear that Laura Lynch was too old and that they would be wise to replace her with his daughter Natalie. But I don't know how much credence to give to the rumor, since it seems in retrospect that the Erwin sisters were already highly driven to break through to stardom, and the music world is filled with stories of original members left in the dust because they weren't on the same page as the leaders of the band.

Three-time NASCAR Cup series champion Cale Yarborough died at age 84. He won the Daytona 500 four times but is probably just as well known for a time he didn't win.

The 1979 500 ended with Yarborough brawling in the infield after being crashed out of the race on the last lap by the brother of the eventual winner. It was the first Daytona 500 to be broadcast live and the crazy finish was a milestone in the growth of the sport.

Three-time NASCAR Cup series champion Cale Yarborough died at age 84. He won the Daytona 500 four times but is probably just as well known for a time he didn't win.

The 1979 500 ended with Yarborough brawling in the infield after being crashed out of the race on the last lap by the brother of the eventual winner. It was the first Daytona 500 to be broadcast live and the crazy finish was a milestone in the growth of the sport.

Feel like this post requires a :drive:

I emcee our firm xmas get together(white elephant interludes/keep things moving) and am jokingly referred to as Shecky Greene for my style. I too thought he was entombed decades ago. oops

He was the first racer I took notice of as a little kid. Being from New England, (and six) I had never seen or heard a name like that. I assumed he had to be some sort of super hero. I watched him race and quickly became bored watching them go in circles. That's when I gave up on racing until a few years later when Senna came along.

Users who are viewing this thread