What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

>>There was no such place as Margaritaville," Buffett told the Arizona Republic in 2021. “It was a made-up place in my mind, basically made up about my experiences in Key West and having to leave Key West and go on the road to work and then come back and spend time by the beach.”

The song soon inspired restaurants and resorts, turning Buffett’s alleged desire for the simplicity of island life into a multimillion brand. He landed at No. 18 in Forbes’ list of the Richest Celebrities of All Time with a net worth of $1 billion.

“It’s pure escapism is all it is,” he told the Republic. “I’m not the first one to do it, nor shall I probably be the last. But I think it’s really a part of the human condition that you’ve got to have some fun. You’ve got to get away from whatever you do to make a living or other parts of life that stress you out. I try to make it at least 50/50 fun to work and so far it’s worked out.”
His special Gulf Coast mix of country, pop, folk and rock added instruments and tonalities more commonly found in the Caribbean, like steel drums. It was a stew of steelpans, trombones and pedal steel guitar. Buffett’s incredible ear for hooks and light grooves were often overshadowed by his lyrics about fish tacos and sunsets.

Rolling Stone, in a review of Buffett’s 2020 album “Life on the Flip Side,” gave grudging props. “He continues mapping out his surfy, sandy corner of pop music utopia with the chill, friendly warmth of a multi-millionaire you wouldn’t mind sharing a tropically-themed 3 p.m. IPA with, especially if his gold card was on the bar when the last round came.”<<

Jimmy Buffett was a really nice reminder that a LOT of music can be completely awesome if you don't take it so seriously all the time.
Amen.

Wasn't a huge Buffet fan but certainly appreciated his music and following and definitely can say a legend was lost. RIP

Went to college in San Diego and Margaritaville was a very present state of mind and lifestyle. many fun trips to ensenada and rosa rita with Jimmy on.

Played a lof of JB over the weekend

😢

:gang2:

Last edited:
Standup comic Geechy Guy died at 59

Funny guy, especially if you prefer your jokes short and stupid.

McCallum was on the main cast of NCIS from 2003-15, and recurring after that. Tonight, they aired Episode One, Season One. Gotta figure it was for him.

Sweet.

McCallum was on the main cast of NCIS from 2003-15, and recurring after that. Tonight, they aired Episode One, Season One. Gotta figure it was for him.

Sweet.
It actually was not for him. They were celebrating the 20th anniversary and running a mini-marathon. It ended up being a perfect tribute.

Brooks Robinson, the best third baseman of all time, at age 86. I'm biased since I named my son after him. Sad day.
You don't live in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, do you?

I posted about this at the time in a different thread, but my son got to play in a high school all-star game named after him, at Camden Yards. Was the Offensive MVP for his team, only one to get more than one hit, scored their only run. Like Brooks, he wore #5 his entire playing career. Glad they got to meet.

Brooks Robinson, the best third baseman of all time, at age 86. I'm biased since I named my son after him. Sad day.

The Human Vacuum Cleaner

The 1970 World Series shouldn't have been very memorable as it only went 5 games, except every game Brooks Robinson did something amazing. Usually several things.

(all these clips are one minute or less)
  • Game 1 - the famous Lee May groundout, hard hit ball down the line, Brooks stabs it and in one motion makes a one-hop throw to Boog Powell. Later hits a HR to give the Orioles a 4-3 lead.
  • Game 2 - round the horn double play off a sharp grounder kills a rally. (not shown: game tying RBI after the Reds jumped out to a 4-0 lead)
  • Game 3 - hits a bases loaded 2-run double into the gap to give the Orioles the lead, later robs Johnny Bench on a diving catch to his left in which he fully extends - a gem that was his third extraordinary defensive play of the game. It was the Orioles 17th straight win (last 11 of the regular season + ALCS sweep.)
  • Game 4 - line drive homer to left to tie the game.
  • Game 5 was a 9-3 rout to clinch Earl Weaver's only WS title as manager of the Orioles, and Baltimore's second in five years.
Robinson hit .417 with a record 17 total bases, 2 homers, 6 RBis, and a 4-hit game. That WS will always be remembered for his incredible defensive plays. One of the most dominating WS performances ever by one man. It was the last World Series which was played entirely in the daytime (1971 was the first night WS game.)

Low key, humble guy from Arkansas, a lot like the Tigers legend from Baltimore, Al Kaline. When I was growing up every 3B who came along would be compared to him. Totally unfair, nobody was as good as Brooks, but that was the standard - is he anything close to Robinson? Because Brooks was just about perfect at playing the position.

You don't live in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, do you?

I posted about this at the time in a different thread, but my son got to play in a high school all-star game named after him, at Camden Yards. Was the Offensive MVP for his team, only one to get more than one hit, scored their only run. Like Brooks, he wore #5 his entire playing career. Glad they got to meet.
Actually, no, not even close. In fact I've never lived in the Eastern or even Central time zone. He was my favorite player when growing up. I wore #5 on every sports jersey I've ever had. I met him twice, once with my son when he was about two. I had my son tell him, "I'm Brooks too." Robinson said, "I'm honored." Such a class guy. Funny thing, last Friday my boss authorized all of the employees to wear their favorite sports gear. I wore my autographed 1966 Cooperstown Collection Brooks Robinson jersey. Now I'm superglad I did. RIP my idol.

Chris Snow, 42 - asst GM of the Calgary Flames.. Died from ALS. There is a pretty moving feature on Real Sports about his fight. He was taking experimental treatments, which may help in fighting the disease.
I think when he was diagnosed they gave him a year to live. He lived 4 years, so those experimental treatments must have done something.

This is a name that few (if any) will know here, but I was saddened to hear that RB George Reed passed away today, one day before his 84th birthday.
He played for my favorite team the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL. He was my favorite player when I was a young boy. I first met him when I was 7 years old at an event when he was signing mini footballs. They ran out of footballs and Mr. Reed told the organizers to find something else for him to sign because he wasn't leaving until every person still in the lineup got an autograph.
He was the definition of humility and class.
I met him a few more times over the years. Once or twice before his playing career ended in 1975 and a few more times after he was done playing. The conversations always started the same with me telling him "Mr. Reed, what a honor to meet you again". He always asked my name and then told me the pleasure was all his to meet one of his fans and "please call me George".

Tim Wakefield, 57, brain cancer
Not sure why this one's hittin' me today. Not a Sox fan, not really even a huge baseball fan. Maybe just 'cuz he was just 57, maybe 'cuz of his unique pitching style will be something I'll remember. Heard that he was super active in the community and sounded like a genuinely nice guy. Sucks to lose people far too early.

Bears LB Butkus - 80
Not sure why but this one kind of hit me. Maybe because he's close to my dad's age and I remember my dad talking about him? One of those "invincibles" that honestly I didn't even realize was still with us. Now just waiting on the inevitable text from my dad about hos own mortality in 3...2...1...

Users who are viewing this thread