What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (1 Viewer)

Gino Mäder, 26

Swiss rider for Bahrain Victorious. Stage winner at the 2021 Giro d' Italia, won the Young Rider Classification at he 2021 Vuelta a España where he finished 5th overall.

Crashed yesterday doing a high speed descent on the 5th stage of the Tour de Suisse. At an estimated speed of 100 kph on the highest stage of the event, he missed a turn and tumbled into a deep ravine. He was found by the tour MD two minutes later, unconscious and submerged in water. He was was given CPR, resuscitated, and airlifted to a hospital. Sadly he passed away from the injuries he sustained in the crash this morning.
Holy crow

Gino Mäder, 26

Swiss rider for Bahrain Victorious. Stage winner at the 2021 Giro d' Italia, won the Young Rider Classification at he 2021 Vuelta a España where he finished 5th overall.

Crashed yesterday doing a high speed descent on the 5th stage of the Tour de Suisse. At an estimated speed of 100 kph on the highest stage of the event, he missed a turn and tumbled into a deep ravine. He was found by the tour MD two minutes later, unconscious and submerged in water. He was was given CPR, resuscitated, and airlifted to a hospital. Sadly he passed away from the injuries he sustained in the crash this morning.
Holy crow

They rode a neutralized stage yesterday in tribute to Mäder, and today the race continued (final stage TT is tomorrow.) Seems odd to me but same way they handled a fatal crash in 2019 - neutralized stage the next day, then back to normal racing.

Three teams and several individual riders DNS. IDK why they didn't just cancel the remainder of the Tour but if it were me I would have abandoned. That's a lot of trauma to process.

Fun fact.....you guys ever hear of a fella names Luis Palau? I live in his old house. Pretty sure that's how I'm getting to heaven. :nod:
A former coworker used to work for Luis Palau. I remember the guy telling me "He's just like Billy Graham, but Hispanic." And it took every fiber in my being to keep from saying, "Oh, so does he have a son who is a fraud, too?"

Per the BBC, the five men on the Titan sub have been declared dead. The sub is believed now to have imploded; death would've be instantaneous.
I just read that in the debris field they located the rear tail cover as well as the landing frame. RIP.

I'm seriously impressed that they were able to locate anything this fast given the environment

Fun fact.....you guys ever hear of a fella names Luis Palau? I live in his old house. Pretty sure that's how I'm getting to heaven. :nod:
A former coworker used to work for Luis Palau. I remember the guy telling me "He's just like Billy Graham, but Hispanic." And it took every fiber in my being to keep from saying, "Oh, so does he have a son who is a fraud, too?"

Lol.....

One of his sons lives in our neighborhood and teaches 4th grade at our kids' school. Nice guy!

Very sad. Remember his career well.

Apparently 11 people in the last two weeks alone in the Gulf.
This has been an unprecedented summer in that area with drownings due to the rip current. From the articles I’ve seen, many have occurred while Double-Red flags are flying.
People really do not respect the ocean as much as they should-

Sad all around

My favorite cousin died this morning, two days after her 60th birthday. I spent every Thanksgiving and Christmas with her family, and we alternated weeklong stays at each other's summer cottages - freshwater lake for us, cabin on a river for her family.

Been texting with my three siblings and several cousins all day. Told a few stories to cheer each other up. But it's tough losing childhood friends who have always been part of your life.

Actor Alan Arkin, dead at 89.
Long, brilliant career. The In-Laws is still one of my favorite movies.
Yeah. Just watched it Sunday.
Serpentine, Shelly! Serpentine!
One of my favorite scenes and I thought to use it here too... But that's Peter Falk's line
Yes it is. Refers to Alan's character(who is also in the scene) though. You're right though, I should have used a quote from his character.

There's no reason to shoot at me, I'm a DENTIST!

He got fired in the 1960's for saying, "if girls skirts get any shorter they will have to powder more cheeks and comb more hair."
He was way before my time until he wasn't. I started delivering pizzas in 1987 and Magic 104 was my go to station while driving around town. Man I know so many oldies. I wonder what happened to their music library...

It is with mixed emotions that I share with you that my mother passed away in her sleep last night, aged 87 years. She wasn't in the greatest of health, but nor were there indications she was about to go.

I say 'mixed emotions' because for the last 6+ months, she wasn't herself anymore, due to dementia. Her hearing was all but gone and her vision was going, so she was finding it harder and harder to follow/maintain conversations. She had forgotten she had a daughter, and a few weeks ago, she didn't recognize me.

This last point has had the most impact on me. I realized that all any of us has at the end of the day is our memories, and they're such fragile things. I started a 'storytellers' thread a while back but it didn't catch on. Nevertheless, I encourage you all to safeguard your memories as best you can. Tell your stories so that they're out there in the world and not just in your head. Write them. Record them. Don't keep them to yourself, no matter how uninteresting, boring or embarrassing you think they are.

In that vein, I'll share just a little of my mother, things that won't get said at her funeral...

She had to drop out of college before getting her degree, though whether it was simply because she was pregnant, or because her first husband made her to. I never asked about that last part, and she never offered any details. Her first husband is the father to my brother and sister, but he was a drunk and probably very much of his time, in that he expected things to be a certain way and felt he had certain 'privileges' that went with being her husband and the father of her kids. He was violent enough that she left him and moved back in with her parents, but not before he had raped her and made her pregnant with my brother. When he found out she was re-marrying and was pregnant, he made not very thinly veiled threats to her about her unborn child (me). As a result, she was extra vigilant over me, not wanting to let me out of her sight, anywhere or at any time. Additionally, my father had the type of job that took him out of town for stretches of time, so she had to care for the three of us kids by herself. With the threat of an angry, violent ex-husband lurking, I can't imagine how scared and anxious she was, and I have to give her credit for not turning to alcohol or pills. Instead, she had some unknown reserve of silent bravery to get her through--that and her retired cop father just a few blocks away.

She really endured that and other pains a mother shouldn't suffer, yet did it so silently that if you didn't know her backstory, you'd have no idea.

I'm glad her end was peaceful; she had such little real peace while she was alive.

Godspeed Mom. You were great.

It is with mixed emotions that I share with you that my mother passed away in her sleep last night, aged 87 years. She wasn't in the greatest of health, but nor were there indications she was about to go.

I say 'mixed emotions' because for the last 6+ months, she wasn't herself anymore, due to dementia. Her hearing was all but gone and her vision was going, so she was finding it harder and harder to follow/maintain conversations. She had forgotten she had a daughter, and a few weeks ago, she didn't recognize me.

This last point has had the most impact on me. I realized that all any of us has at the end of the day is our memories, and they're such fragile things. I started a 'storytellers' thread a while back but it didn't catch on. Nevertheless, I encourage you all to safeguard your memories as best you can. Tell your stories so that they're out there in the world and not just in your head. Write them. Record them. Don't keep them to yourself, no matter how uninteresting, boring or embarrassing you think they are.

In that vein, I'll share just a little of my mother, things that won't get said at her funeral...

She had to drop out of college before getting her degree, though whether it was simply because she was pregnant, or because her first husband made her to. I never asked about that last part, and she never offered any details. Her first husband is the father to my brother and sister, but he was a drunk and probably very much of his time, in that he expected things to be a certain way and felt he had certain 'privileges' that went with being her husband and the father of her kids. He was violent enough that she left him and moved back in with her parents, but not before he had raped her and made her pregnant with my brother. When he found out she was re-marrying and was pregnant, he made not very thinly veiled threats to her about her unborn child (me). As a result, she was extra vigilant over me, not wanting to let me out of her sight, anywhere or at any time. Additionally, my father had the type of job that took him out of town for stretches of time, so she had to care for the three of us kids by herself. With the threat of an angry, violent ex-husband lurking, I can't imagine how scared and anxious she was, and I have to give her credit for not turning to alcohol or pills. Instead, she had some unknown reserve of silent bravery to get her through--that and her retired cop father just a few blocks away.

She really endured that and other pains a mother shouldn't suffer, yet did it so silently that if you didn't know her backstory, you'd have no idea.

I'm glad her end was peaceful; she had such little real peace while she was alive.

I'm so sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers are headed your way for you and your family.

i am so sorry for your loss charlie and that is a tough story about your mom but also an awesome one and it shows the depths of her resiliency and strength i wish you and yours peace be well brother

sorry

Users who are viewing this thread