What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (1 Viewer)

true i guess when i read it yesterday they said he was the last but i see the stories now specifically reference the arizona i wonder if there are others out there from the entire attack take that to the bank brohans

lou conter who was the last survivor of the pearl harbor attack died yesterday at 102 years old and that is the end of an era
Splitting hairs - he was the last survivor of the USS Arizona.

true i guess when i read it yesterday they said he was the last but i see the stories now specifically reference the arizona i wonder if there are others out there from the entire attack take that to the bank brohans

As of Veterans Day last year (11/11/2023), there were 119,550 World War II veterans remaining of the 16.1 million Americans who fought in the war* - and we lose 131 every day.

Meaning we're probably down to just a smidge over 100K today.

*SOURCE - 2023 Department of Veteran Affairs Statistics

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
He may not have been recognized around the world but he was a LEGEND to me. At 12:44 am my father passed away 6 weeks short of his 91st birthday. I'm pretty devastated.
So sorry bro. 90 is a good long life but that doesn't make it any easier.
He may not have been recognized around the world but he was a LEGEND to me. At 12:44 am my father passed away 6 weeks short of his 91st birthday. I'm pretty devastated.
very sorry for your loss and i wish you and your family peace
Thanks guys. He's done and seen a lot. I have been blessed to have him in my life for so long.

back in the day i love loved SCTV late night on saturday on channel 9 in ny. growing up as a kid, it was humor that came right up my alley. so many greats from that show and people don’t even really know it existed. i still remember eugene levy, john candy, catherine o’hara, andrea martin and that small guy whose name escapes me. classic

back in the day i love loved SCTV late night on saturday on channel 9 in ny. growing up as a kid, it was humor that came right up my alley. so many greats from that show and people don’t even really know it existed. i still remember eugene levy, john candy, catherine o’hara, andrea martin and that small guy whose name escapes me. classic
Rick Moranis? You hoser

Rick Moranis? You hoser
In the original Ghostbusters Moranis played Louis.

Rick Moranis? You hoser
I support Moranis entire catalog - was just guessing which SCTV fella he was referencing while throwing out a SCTV joke.....

Rick Moranis? You hoser
I support Moranis entire catalog - was just guessing which SCTV fella he was referencing while throwing out a SCTV joke.....
yeah, moranis. i am way old now, but i remember the opening with the TVs being thrown out windows and crashing on the street. crap, i forgot dave thomas. the larry seigel show, yuri, basically anything john candy. i never see it on tv or in reruns anywhere and it is mostly forgotten imo but man, the sketches and talent were right up there with SNL.

Last edited:
Rick Moranis? You hoser
yeah, moranis. i am way old now, but i remember the opening with the TVs being thrown out windows and crashing on the street. crap, i forgot dave thomas. the larry seigel show, yuri, basically anything john candy. i never see it on tv or in reruns anywhere and it is mostly forgotten imo but man, the sketches and talent were right up there with SNL.
SCTV is available on DVD, if you care to partake.

crazy you had to watch these shows via diorama’s, you had to be so happy when television was invented….. :whistle:

crazy you had to watch these shows via diorama’s, you had to be so happy when television was invented….. :whistle:
lol.....this was when kids were remote controls. i remember watching tv with my dad and he'd tap me on the shoulder to get up. basically, what you were watching was it. and don't even get me started on rolling down car windows!

lol.....this was when kids were remote controls. i remember watching tv with my dad and he'd tap me on the shoulder to get up. basically, what you were watching was it. and don't even get me started on rolling down car windows!
Close your eyes and listen

Except we didn't have that many channels back then

2-4-5-7-9-11-13 and maybe lucha libre on UHF 47

SoCal? CBS, NBC, KTLA, KCAL, FOX, KCOP?

my
cbs, nbc, forgot 5, abc, wor (mets), wpix (yanks), pbs, uhf

my
cbs, nbc, forgot 5, abc, wor (mets), wpix (yanks), pbs, uhf
WNEW

It’s 10PM. Do you know where your children are?

I knew what it was .....it was the sctv tie in I was questioning
Questioning?
crushing your head was a skit that Mark McKinney did on Kids on the Hall. I don't know if that's belljr's confusion, but that was my confusion as to how it ties in to SCTV.
Holy hell. :bag:

Sorry bell and all.

NY and LA both had the same lineup on analog VHF (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13) because that was the "maximum" allotment in the olden days. You couldn't have channels numbered right next to each other on the dial because of cross-channel interference (if you lived in Fairfield County, CT, for example, you'd sometimes get WTNH-8 bleeding over onto WABC-7 if the weather was just right, so you'd see a ghost image and since both were ABC it'd be like seeing double). So the major cities got the "odds" and the cities in between got the "evens" to spread out the dial. There's an "invisible" channel between 4 and 5 reserved for non-TV use, so, you could put those two adjacent and get an extra station in the mix. :nerd:

No one had both a 3 and 4, though, being next to each other, so that's how the old video game tuners could be sure to have one or the other free.

NY and LA both had the same lineup on analog VHF (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13) because that was the "maximum" allotment in the olden days. You couldn't have channels numbered right next to each other on the dial because of cross-channel interference (if you lived in Fairfield County, CT, for example, you'd sometimes get WTNH-8 bleeding over onto WABC-7 if the weather was just right, so you'd see a ghost image and since both were ABC it'd be like seeing double). So the major cities got the "odds" and the cities in between got the "evens" to spread out the dial. There's an "invisible" channel between 4 and 5 reserved for non-TV use, so, you could put those two adjacent and get an extra station in the mix. :nerd:

No one had both a 3 and 4, though, being next to each other, so that's how the old video game tuners could be sure to have one or the other free.
Really good info here. In my area it was 2 4 7 9, with 11 and 13 sometimes coming in from the next city. The only time 5 came into play was later when HBO had house antennas to get HBO without cable, which the neighborhood had not been wired for yet. My neighbors each got one on their house, which allowed us to get a fuzzy but free version.

And Philly got what NY didn’t: 3, 6, 10, 12, 17, 29, 48

Yep far enough away to squeeze in between on the "evens", wouldn't interfere with anyone living in the middle

hmm i live in philly area and recall getting 9 and 11? I swear we used to watch morton downey and such on channel 9.

Really good info here. In my area it was 2 4 7 9, with 11 and 13 sometimes coming in from the next city. The only time 5 came into play was later when HBO had house antennas to get HBO without cable, which the neighborhood had not been wired for yet. My neighbors each got one on their house, which allowed us to get a fuzzy but free version.
we used channel 3 for Pong and Atari with the switch in the back of the set that was hooked up to the 2 vhf screws.

we used channel 3 for Pong and Atari with the switch in the back of the set that was hooked up to the 2 vhf screws.
When you knew you were a player

don't forget 57!

hmm i live in philly area and recall getting 9 and 11? I swear we used to watch morton downey and such on channel 9.
They were out of new york. They were definitely part of some cable systems in the philly area. I had them in the philly suburbs in PA.

9 had the Mets games and 11 had the Yankees.
I knew they were out of NY but I meant we definitely got the channels - I recally watching Stern on his show also.

Users who are viewing this thread