What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (1 Viewer)

Not happy Raiders have to play vs Jeudy and Murray twice per year.  Jeudy at 12 and Murray at 19 would have been just about my ideal draft.

Because we trade down, someone else takes our guy, the Internet eviscerates them instead of us, and now we don't get "our guy".

Rule #1 about drafting is just be right.  If he's right no one is gonna care we didn't squeeze the last 4.5 ounces of value out of the draft order.

I was never all that high on Okudah and always felt Arnette was a better cover guy and boy does that guy put his helmet in and hit when he gets a chance.  I never expected him to go that early but this doesn't bother me much at all.
Thanks for the perspective on Arnette. In the end I have to believe that if that was their guy, Gruden and Mayock thought he wouldn't last until their next pick in the 3rd. Where was Arnette predicted to go, second or third?

Maybe they couldn't find a trade partner but hard to believe they hadn't had a few conversations to tee that up prior to tonight. Sometines that still doesn't pan out but man, I think we left a lot of value on the board.

In Mayock I trust. We have a WR and we have a corner, our biggest needs. Hopefully we look back this time next year to celebrate how awesome this turned out. Until then it's, it's us who are going to be eviscerated for those picks.

Holy Jesus. 

Gruden gonna gruden. He’s such an idiot.  the beginning this draft signifies the end of mayock,  as a true influence.  IMHO  

Could have traded down and still gotten ruggs. Or taken BPA, not a wr, at 12 and still have gotten ruggs.  Is AL really dead?  Speed over anything else?  Unreal  

Not having a round 2 pick, gruden, grossly over reaches for arnette. Trade out of that 12 and add a second round pick. Use that on arnette. 

Extremely disappointed. 

I'd have liked a trade down too, but teams do not seem to be willing to trade up.  What can you do if you don't have a trade partner?
The 49ers and patriots found trade partners. Gruden always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. He’s an idiot. 

Donkeys get juedy. Dolts get Murray. Unreal. 

Unfortunately, I think Mayock reached on Arnette, just like he reached on Ferrell last year.   
It’s gruden. Not mayock. Gruden is the 100,000,000  dollar man. Any decisions, that are reaches, will be his. Period.  There is no way on earth, that the egomaniac, that is gruden, will ever get talked into anything that isn’t his choice.  No. F’ing. Way. 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the Ruggs pick. He's more than just a speed guy. He can and will be a complete receiver. 

As for Arnette, I'm not going to try to defend or analyze a player I can honestly say I've never watched until tonight after the draft was over. Obviously, the pick was early, but it did start a run on the second tier CBs at the end of the round. Scratch our heads all we want, but Mayock is paid to study the film, he knows what he has in Arnette, way more than any of us. And it's a position of desperate need so I'm going to reserve judgment. Just because the kid wasn't on any of the hundreds of mocks by Mel Kiper and Daniel Jeremiah doesn't mean squat in my mind.

Have an Ohio State friend who emailed me to say "Toughest guy on the team.  Played with broken hand and played opposite the #3 pick, so he got challenged a lot...did a fantastic job.  You'll like him a lot.  Not afraid to hit either!!"

I’ll just go to bed late with that positive note in mind after this odd first round. 

Holy Jesus. 

Gruden gonna gruden. He’s such an idiot.  the beginning this draft signifies the end of mayock,  as a true influence.  IMHO  

Could have traded down and still gotten ruggs. Or taken BPA, not a wr, at 12 and still have gotten ruggs.  Is AL really dead?  Speed over anything else?  Unreal  

Not having a round 2 pick, gruden, grossly over reaches for arnette. Trade out of that 12 and add a second round pick. Use that on arnette. 

Extremely disappointed. 
There is absolutely no guarantee they still would have gotten Ruggs with a trade down or waiting.  He wasn't my first choice at WR, but he certainly could have been WR1 on other teams boards.

It was Lamb and Murray for me, along the same lines though.   
That would have been a great haul.   Ruggs is nice but he a WR that opens things up for other WRs.  Problem is, we don’t have the other WRs except for Waller.  Maybe Gruden wants the O to go through Walker.   

The reach at CB is the same dumb move Gruden made for Ferrell as pointed out by a previous poster.   

- Disappointed Raider fan.  

With 5 picks in the first round the last two years, seems like the Gruden/Mayock plan is to slap doubles to left center, rather than swing for the fences, and maybe strike out (In the 1st round, I mean).  All their 1st rounders have solid floors, but maybe not the ceiling. Jacobs has the ceiling, but positional value, blah blah blah. Ferrell has a high floor, Ruggs, at worst you have a sick deep threat. High floor. Not super exciting, and maybe the "upside" isn't there on some of their 1st rounders. Arnette fits that. 

Arnette a reach? I think so. 5th years senior, ran a 4.56.  I worry about a CB in our division without true speed.  I don't think he's an answer for Tyreek. I think he's an option for the slot in the nickel, and maybe Isaiah goes outside on passing downs. Not super exciting, but you don't SEE a slow CB when you watch the cutups. 

Arnette played early at OSU, I love that. Was supposedly immature at OSU, had a child, and matured and put it all together. Cris Carter is his dad, that's a plus. Didn't give up more than 1 TD in any SEASON at OSU.  

Jon Ledyard

@LedyardNFLDraft

On tape, Arnette was in the conversation to be my CB4. The peripheral stuff (arm length, age, 40, character) matters. It's a risky pick. But he was really good in 2019, he's scheme versatile, he plays very hard, he tackles and he found the football a lot in 2019.
Damon Arnette only allowed a completion % of 44.6% in his coverage in 2019 His passer rating when targeted in coverage was only 60.6 in 2019
I was happy we went WR/CB, and I also like the flexibility we have going into round 3.

Reason is, I cannot shake the feeling we come back at WR (and maybe CB) in the 3rd. I would love that. Take a weakness, make it a strength. And with Ruggs, a lot of players make sense in the 3rd, to pair with him, and Tyrell.  Can take a big dude, can take a slot. If we took Jeudy, really cannot take a slot guy.  We probably won't be taking a Tee Higgins, but a lot of other guys fit.  Really hoping we go WR.  

Gruden needs to scheme Ruggs so that teams have to account and adjust for him every play.  

Had a chance to sleep on it some more and I’m even more confident than I was yesterday. From what I’ve ready few teams had Ruggs as their #1, so if the Raiders wanted him, they had to go for it. I can envision a lot of slant and drag routes across the middle, since many say Carr can’t throw the deep ball (I disagree) and then Ruggs taking it to the house.

As for Arnett, he isn’t flashy but he is a football player. Exactly the type of player/man that they have been drafting the last two years. Pundits always say they should have traded down but that isn’t always possible. I hope the tried because I agree they could have moved down a little but after seeing all of those CBs going off the board at the end of the 1st, I really don’t think they could have moved down very much and still guaranteed that they got their man.

Ill trust Mayock and Gruden over a bunch of guys on the internet and some talking heads that have never had to run a draft before.

A lot of insightful posts as always. I always come away after extensive reading of this thread with my neck sore from nodding up and down.

My two cents:

* They filled two needs. None of us can (nor can any of the "experts") say they filled 'em with the wrong players. We'll see.

* I read a lot that Mayock "loved" Lamb. Either it was a terrific smokescreen or he got overruled. Thot for sure he was the guy. Him or Jeudy. How many of you can honestly say that if all three were available, Ruggs would have been the pick?

* Mayock confirmed they had a number of calls on both picks. My biggest thot is he really should have traded 19 and moved down. Read where last year Gruden wanted to move up to take Jacobs but Mayock persuaded him not to and of course it worked out. Maybe this time they could have traded down and gotten the player and a pick. That seems to be the consensus.

* I'm not real wild about OSU CBs in general. A quick internet search thru history didn't make me feel any better.

* Do they see Arnette as "Okudah Light"? Seems like a lot of similarities.

* Pete Prisco (I don't know how reliable he is) said Arnette does a lot of "grabbing." "Grabbing" and a Raider uniform is not a good combination.

* As Doc Holliday so eloquently put it, "We still need a No. 1." Still chuckling about that. But the Ruggs pick leaves the pro-Carr faction with an out. If Carr is mediocre or worse, his backers can say, "Well, they still haven't gotten him a 1." 😉 A good spot to be in!

* After yesterday, maybe the mantra should read, "In Mayock we trust...but maybe just a shade less." 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a flashback to the '60s and warmed some to Ruggs. Maybe he can provide the explosiveness that Warren Wells brought to the Raiders decades ago.

Ruggs: Of Ruggs' 98 career receptions with the Tide, 24 ended in touchdowns, a 24.5% clip that was the best in the SEC in the past 20 seasons (minimum 75 receptions). Some 35% of his catches went for at least 20 yards, the fourth-highest rate among wideouts in this year's draft class (minimum 40 receptions).

Wells: CAREER yards per reception rate was 23.1. Topped out at 26.8 in 1969 to go with 14 TD catches. Had 3 straight full seasons averaging 20+ yards per catch. He was a meteor and flamed out as quickly as he lit up the sky but Warren Wells was amazing.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WellWa00.htm

The only reason that people are poo-pooing these picks is because they don't match the lists of any of the talking heads.

The talking heads that collectively are employed by 0 NFL teams.

We don't know what actual NFL guys think of them (well except the Raiders, we know how THEY feel).  We don't know if SF would have taken Ruggs 13.  We don't know if someone else wouldn't have taken Arnette had we tried to get cute and trade down for him in the 2nd.  When Jordan Love was picked one of the guys said "I wonder if NEP are pissed they can't trade back up into late 1st for him now?  There's no way BB plays that game and gets stuck I told him, if he were their guy they would have just taken him at 23 but it illustrates the point exactly.  You never know who else has what plans or likes which guy.  You'd have made a killing if you'd have taken the Love/GB prop bet.

All they gotta be is right.  If they are, no one's gonna care that we didn't risk moving down 1/2 a round to pick up some mid-pick that's got his own bust potential.

I just had a flashback to the '60s and warmed some to Ruggs. Maybe he can provide the explosiveness that Warren Wells brought to the Raiders decades ago.

Ruggs: Of Ruggs' 98 career receptions with the Tide, 24 ended in touchdowns, a 24.5% clip that was the best in the SEC in the past 20 seasons (minimum 75 receptions). Some 35% of his catches went for at least 20 yards, the fourth-highest rate among wideouts in this year's draft class (minimum 40 receptions).

Wells: CAREER yards per reception rate was 23.1. Topped out at 26.8 in 1969 to go with 14 TD catches. Had 3 straight full seasons averaging 20+ yards per catch. He was a meteor and flamed out as quickly as he lit up the sky but Warren Wells was amazing.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WellWa00.htm
That's all important stuff, but there's another component too - what he's going to do for the rest of the field.  There's a lot of good similar talk in the Will Fuller thread but the short summary is that with all the threat a guy like Ruggs bring that takes a lot of attention to the deep 1/3 of the field he's in, which opens up a lot of the rest of the field.  Tyrell Williams was no slouch when healthy last year and getting #1 attention, so this is going to take a whole lot of coverage heat off of him.  Darren Waller won't be double-teamed.  Renfro can run all those slot breaks and sits under Ruggs and never sniff a safety coming in to thwhack him.  Gruden's loved using RB's in the passing game, this is going to open that up too.  The entire field opens up when a guy like this is on the field.

Plus he's a good WR.  Daniel Jeremiah had him as his WR1.  If the guy had run a 4.39 with his college tape no one would even be making a peep.  But because it's a 4.2x and it's the Raiders everyone jumps on the lawl-ghost-of-davis train.  Bad false positive.  This guy is a lot more Tim Brown than James Jett.  I'm fired up about it personally.

Slept on it as we all have and looking at this in the cold light of day, I'm still a little apprehensive.

Love that we filled our biggest needs, and in the end, they might not have been my picks, but it's Gruden and Mayock's jobs and rears on the line, not mine, and both have way more in depth experience and eyes for this than I do, and both know their system and what fits it better than I do.

I don't care about what our draft grade is or what talking heads or fans of other teams think of our guys. I care if they are able to produce for us and bring our team to the next level as a perennial playoff team.

And while the jury will be out until end of next season, with both these guys being slightly undersized, and the knock on Arnette's speed, I am not sure we got the guys that have the best combination of tools for success -- in the league, in our division, and for our team.

I wasn't thrilled to see that we had offers to trade down as I have a feeling we could have gotten Arnette with a mid-second. But if Mayock and Gruden love the guy and thought it was a risk to let him sit, that's their call. 

They got their guys. We got our guys in terms of positional need. Let's see if they pan out as amazingly as our last year's draft class.

We also don't know exactly how this offseason is going to play out. They will need a plug and play corner right away without much practice. Just a hunch, but they must feel Arnette can be that guy. 

tangfoot said:
It wasn't very long ago that the two guys running the Raiders organization were talking heads themselves.
Which has no bearing on my point.  They are blowing smoke.  They are playing likelihoods and statistics and trends and analytics.  They have zero facts to back any of it up.  "I had a 2nd round grade on him" is irrelevant.  All that matters is the grade the NFL team that took him had.  Now if Mayock comes out and says "yeah we had him at CB9 but took him over our other higher CB's" then sure, he's an idiot.  But I'd rather line up behind Mayock's talent evaluation all day long vs. the Social Collective's mock draft smokeshow.

I feel like the top 2 WRs ended up in the wrong spots. 

Lock's strength is arm strength, weakness intermediate accuracy. Jeudy is best in the intermediate routes getting open with precision and timing.

Carr's strength is a high completion % but his weakness is he likes to checkdown and doesn't want to take risks down field. So they draft a guy who's strength is going deep.

Which has no bearing on my point.  They are blowing smoke.  They are playing likelihoods and statistics and trends and analytics.  They have zero facts to back any of it up.  "I had a 2nd round grade on him" is irrelevant.  All that matters is the grade the NFL team that took him had.  Now if Mayock comes out and says "yeah we had him at CB9 but took him over our other higher CB's" then sure, he's an idiot.  But I'd rather line up behind Mayock's talent evaluation all day long vs. the Social Collective's mock draft smokeshow.
The difference now between Mayock and all the talking heads, it Mayock is paid to be right! No one cares if the TV folks are right or wrong. Theyre paid to give an opinion. Mayock's job and livelihood are on the line with every pick. Anyone who thinks Mayock and Gruden are sitting around their offices just guessing really needs to check themselves. They spend countless hours watching tape on guys we've never heard of. We should revisit this thread in 8 months and see how this all plays out. Everyone hated the Kolton Miller pick two years ago. And now we have a solid RT and no one even bats an eye at the pick anymore. Let's all just chill out and trust these guys for once.

Lock's strength is arm strength, weakness intermediate accuracy. Jeudy is best in the intermediate routes getting open with precision and timing.

Carr's strength is a high completion % but his weakness is he likes to checkdown and doesn't want to take risks down field. So they draft a guy who's strength is going deep.
Made sense to me too.

Mayock/Ruggs makes sense because Ruggs was supposedly the hardest worker and leader of THAT receiver room. That's the kind of **** that makes Mayock erect. Gruden was already there.

Lock with Ruggs sounded fun. 

My comp for Ruggs has been Terry Glenn. Both ha(d)(ve) so much speed they didn't get enough credit for their overall games and impact on the rest of the field.

ICON211 said:
There is absolutely no guarantee they still would have gotten Ruggs with a trade down or waiting.  He wasn't my first choice at WR, but he certainly could have been WR1 on other teams boards.
could have gotten one of ruggs/juedy/lamb   :shrug:   

could have gotten one of ruggs/juedy/lamb   :shrug:   
Perhaps an indication of how high they actually are on Ruggs, relative to the other two. He certainly has some unique characteristics that they don't share.

Same with Arnette comp'd to the mosh of CBs taken just behind him. Gruden's sons were high five'n like they'd just scored a huge TD after the Arnette pick. There was no sense in their immediate reaction of ugh, damn, wish we'd been able to trade down a few spots for this dude. More of whew and woohoo, we got BOTH our targets!! Implied to me that they maybe had some info that made them nervous about letting Arnette stay on the board any longer.

If Jaylon Johnson or Fulton goes at 45-50, we can throw that reach talk in the trash, because we will have proof that they WOULD HAVE been a reach.  So who cares what reach we took? 

Watched a short video that was from a few weeks ago on Ruggs. It basically was saying that thecwhole discussion has been who is best, Jeudy or Lamb but that Ruggs not only should be in the discussion but based on analytics PFF uses, is actually the best. (PFF Draft Profile found under Ruggs profile in NFL.com)

I will confess a prejudice I have on speed and the draft. It seems every year that guys who sre fast get rocketed up the draft boards and are picked much higher than the real football production. 

My thing against Ruggs was honestly the T. Hill comparisons. I didn't want a guy that is one dimensional like that, even if that one dimension is awesome and opens up the offense, but wanted a complete #1. After reading up on Ruggs more, I am thinking it was my prejudice against speed and not the player. 

I read he only had one drop of a catch able ball last year? So his hands seem there and it seems his route tree is more complete. 

A floor of Tyreek Hill and potential for more isn't bad at all. 

DA RAIDERS said:
The 49ers and patriots found trade partners. Gruden always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. He’s an idiot. 

Donkeys get juedy. Dolts get Murray. Unreal. 
First, I was on record saying that I liked Jeudy or Lamb at 12 more than Ruggs.  But I've come to learn that Ruggs is and was always the guy Gruden coveted at 12.  They liked the other guys, but Ruggs was their pick.  The more I think about it, I'm coming around on it.  Comparing him to a guy like Tyreek...how can you not be excited.  With Williams on the outside and Waller and Mourneau roaming the middle of the field, I like the look of our offense.  Anyway, Ruggs was their boy so I'm taking the leap of faith and staying positive.

As for 19, I have also been told that without a second round pick, there was a total dearth of trade partners.  And it was clear that Elway loved Ruggs so we didn't have much room to trade down if we still wanted our guy in Ruggs.  Anyway, with no trade partners at 19, we went need.  Did we reach for Arnette, yes, but maybe not as much as people think.  Fingers crossed.  

DocHolliday said:
That would have been a great haul.   Ruggs is nice but he a WR that opens things up for other WRs.  Problem is, we don’t have the other WRs except for Waller.  Maybe Gruden wants the O to go through Walker.   

The reach at CB is the same dumb move Gruden made for Ferrell as pointed out by a previous poster.   

- Disappointed Raider fan.  
Hey Doc.  I feel your frustration but let me just say, don't be so quick to judge or give up on Ferrell.  Kid was a rookie and not everyone comes out of the gate and lights the world on fire.  He looked much, much better the second half of the year and I think he still has a very good chance to be an excellent player and a good fit for our defense.  

Also, let's not forget we get a healthy (hopefully) Abrams back this year.  People are writing him off as a bust based on last year too.  If healtnhy, both of those guys can really pay dividends for us.  Try and stay positive brother, we needed a CB at 19 and took the guy they liked best

Watched a short video that was from a few weeks ago on Ruggs. It basically was saying that thecwhole discussion has been who is best, Jeudy or Lamb but that Ruggs not only should be in the discussion but based on analytics PFF uses, is actually the best. (PFF Draft Profile found under Ruggs profile in NFL.com)

I will confess a prejudice I have on speed and the draft. It seems every year that guys who sre fast get rocketed up the draft boards and are picked much higher than the real football production. 

My thing against Ruggs was honestly the T. Hill comparisons. I didn't want a guy that is one dimensional like that, even if that one dimension is awesome and opens up the offense, but wanted a complete #1. After reading up on Ruggs more, I am thinking it was my prejudice against speed and not the player. 

I read he only had one drop of a catch able ball last year? So his hands seem there and it seems his route tree is more complete. 

a floor of tyreek hill?   :lmao:   have you watched that dude play?  he's unreal.  it's not just speed.  his ability to high point the ball, especially for a little dude, is incredible.  if ruggs equals hill, it's a great pick.  there's a zillion, super fast dudes, that haven't really done squat.  hopefully, ruggs is more than that.  and as mentioned up thread, i'm not sure carr is the best fit for a burner.

I think a lot of people are a bit off on Ruggs.  His yards per reception were so high because he was taking short passes and turning them into long gains not because he was catching a ton of bombs down the field.

I think I have a similar bias against speed, but that is because of the many, hell the majority of players with top measured speed do not amount to anything. They have to be good at beating the jam and getting open in other ways too.

I mean we could go through the history of sub 4.4 speed WR at the combine, and plenty of WR selected in the 1st round who do not end up producing in the NFL well.

I don't think that is the case here. Ruggs was the 1st WR selected. Although it is more fun to crack jokes about the ghost of Al Davis I think they made a good decision, even though I like Lamb and Juedy more.

I haven't watched Ruggs as much as the other guys either. Whenever I try to watch that team I mostly end up focusing on Tua unintentionally.

I am willing to revisit this with a more open mind and I am interested in learning more about Ruggs in the weeks ahead. 

I actually agree with this assessment. Look, Ruggs may end up being as or more of a fantastic intermediate route runner given his speed to create separation and solid (and huge) hands. But seems to me for the past few years Carr's long ball isn't what it was and it's better for him -- and our WCO system -- to get a guy who would be an elite route runner with a traditional WR1 build for that first/second read that's so crucial in a WCO.

Ruggs may still be that guy, totally willing to see how he plays out in our offense. Guy hasn't played a down yet in a Silver and Black jersey, and he earned being in the Big 3 for a reason.

The bolded, to me though, is more an artifact of Carr not having reliable receivers these last few years (since Crabtree, really) who can rbattle for balls down field and get open as a play develops, as opposed to a weakness that's inherent in Carr.

I agree with this in that Ruggs is more complete than maybe I give him credit for. I read Mayock say we have to get faster because our division has offenses with guys like Hill. [ETA to add the actual quote I read: "When you’re in the division we’re in and you look at Kansas City and you look at what they have on offense and what their explosion looks like, we needed to get faster.”]

Instead of seemingly seem like he is trying to mold the Raiders into an offense like the Chiefs, would rather him have say that Ruggs fits our system and personnel and what we are trying to do the most. I naturally thought Jeudy and Lamb had more of a prototypical stature and game skill aligning to both a true WR1 and what we need.

I am willing to concede that Mayock and Gruden know that far better than I. I just hope we aren't being reactive and building to a trend we see as opposed to what we need to succeed with the personnel and scheme we have. I'd hate to think we got Ruggs just to build the next Kelce/Hill attack with Waller/Ruggs if that means we have a less effective system with our personnel overall.

I mean we could go through the history of sub 4.4 speed WR at the combine, and plenty of WR selected in the 1st round who do not end up producing in the NFL well.. 
Yep, admit this plays into my thinking.

We've gone after speed with guys like James Jett, Sam Grady, Ron Brown, Rocket Ismail, Jacoby Ford, DHB -- really did nothing for us. So I worry we're just chasing speed again when another direction would have provided us with a more well-rounded skill set.

I recognize Ruggs is more that just speed, though, and I am hoping he totally becomes that bona fide WR1 at the next level off the bat. Has some really gifted tools, so willing to see.

Ok... Moving on, with three 3rd rounds picks what do they do now? I see a need at guard maybe a speedy, twitchy little WR/PR like Hamler. Another corner would be nice. Maybe move up and grab Baun at LB. Looking forward to see how many fans they get upset on day 2.

Gimmie a red zone beast at WR.  Higgins won't drop but Edwards or Pittman might.  Tyler Johnson is a technician too.  Interior OL of any kind.  Interior DL - they rarely drop, especially if they can pass rush, but if they can maneuver into getting Ross Blaylock or Justin Madubuike that would be awesome.

Would be interesting to see if we try and move up to grab someone Mayock/Gruden love that fills a need -- hard to sit on the sidelines for 60 picks, and a lot of talent starts to go off boards.

I'm on DVR so don't crush me if this is behind, but Jeremy Chinn is a guy I wouldn't mind coming out with either.

edit:Aaaand I just go to the Panthers' pick haha. 

Users who are viewing this thread