What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd Official Free For All Chess Tournament- Green & Gold= Champion (1 Viewer)

BoomBoom defeats cheese in a very even match where it could have gone either way several times.

GG cheese.

timschochet said:
Otis (,5) vs. Sand (.5) in progress

TimmyPG (.5) vs. wdcrop (.5) in progress
Hey Tim - Timmy and I did finish on time (I won). Could we update that?

Also, in my game Otis is running me ragged with one beserker rook who is rearranging my whole board. Can't seem to pin that little ####er down. So, so far, great game!

timschochet said:

Also, in my game Otis is running me ragged with one beserker rook who is rearranging my whole board. Can't seem to pin that little ####er down. So, so far, great game!
I hate to be a stickler but I posted the matchups for round 2 Saturday morning at 10:17 am. You didn't post your victory over Timmy until that evening, Saturday night at 7:13 pm. Therefore it doesn't count for round 1, and I have to give you each a half point for round 1. If you had been the winner, the matchups for round 2 would have been different. The reason you are paired with Otis is because you each have a half a point.

I managed to escape Otello's opening game onslaught (I have no idea how), traded pieces in the middle game, and now we're locked in an EXTREMELY difficult rook pawn endgame.

timschochet said:

I hate to be a stickler but I posted the matchups for round 2 Saturday morning at 10:17 am. You didn't post your victory over Timmy until that evening, Saturday night at 7:13 pm. Therefore it doesn't count for round 1, and I have to give you each a half point for round 1. If you had been the winner, the matchups for round 2 would have been different. The reason you are paired with Otis is because you each have a half a point.
Not a problem - I am enjoying playing. Though someone 1-0 and 0-1 would have to have played Otis and wdc, so the matchups the way they are would have been fine. See as this is a logic thread I figured I'd point that out. ;-)

Batteries and I are neck and neck.

MAKE YOUR MOVE, AAA! COME AT ME, BRO. :football:

I managed to escape Otello's opening game onslaught (I have no idea how), traded pieces in the middle game, and now we're locked in an EXTREMELY difficult rook pawn endgame.
I didn't see the win when you thought I had you. Maybe I missed something.

My game with Otello is ending. It was a fantastic game. I would like to post it here if Sacramento Bob will agree to analyze.

My game with Otello is ending. It was a fantastic game. I would like to post it here if Sacramento Bob will agree to analyze.
Seeing some other games would be cool. I'd post mine if there was interest. They sure aren't Capablanca, though!

So nobody wants to join the tournament? If nobody joins by tomorrow morning, I will enter the tourney a second time so that Unialias gets a game. Unialias, unless somebody signs up, I'll send you an invite tomorrow morning.

So nobody wants to join the tournament? If nobody joins by tomorrow morning, I will enter the tourney a second time so that Unialias gets a game. Unialias, unless somebody signs up, I'll send you an invite tomorrow morning.
No biggie. If it makes things less complicated I can drop out. I'm hopeful that by the time the third tournament begins I'll be much better.

Round 2- All Players listed FIRST are white:

Otello (1) vs. timschochet (1) (0-1)

kutta (1) vs. Joffer (1) in progress

Joe T (1) vs. Shader (1) (1-0)

Boomboom (1) vs. Cheese (1) (1-0)

Mister CIA (1) vs. Green and Gold (1) (0-1)

nysfl2 (1) vs. Steve Tasker (1) in progress

Brownsfan (1) vs. spOOfy (1) in progress

TimmyPG (.5) vs. wdcrop (.5) (0-1)

AAA Batteries vs. Psychopav in progress

AcerFC vs. rajinCajun (0-1)

Abraham vs. jamny (1-0)

rascal vs. Bogart in progress

Shotsup vs. Pizzatyme (0-1)

Witz vs. Ray Karpis (1-0)

UniAlias Pending

No biggie. If it makes things less complicated I can drop out. I'm hopeful that by the time the third tournament begins I'll be much better.
I don't think anyone should have to drop out. If nobody else joins up, I'll send you an invite.

OK my game with Otello. Otello was white. I played the center-counter defense, and played it very poorly. Early on in this game, Otello had a definite (I think winning) advantage:

1. e4 d5

2. exd5 Qxd5

3. Nc3 Qa5

4. d4 Nf6

5. Nf3 Bf5

I used to play Bg4 here, pinning the knight. Then I read than in a world championship match a few years back, Anand played Bf5. So I've started playing Bf5. Problem is, I've never been able to figure out what to do after Ne5. It always causes me lots of problems. Naturally, that's what Otello played.

6. Ne5 c6

7. Bc4 e6

8. g4 Bg6

g4 is a very nice aggressive move. Otello sensed a weakness here and wouldn't let me finish my development.

9. h4 Nbd7

I'm planning on taking the knight at e5 if plays h5. But...

10. Nxd7 Nxd7

11. h4 Be4

12. Rh3 h6

13. Bd2 Bh7

14. Qe2 Qc7

OK I am in real trouble here if he continues the attack right now, before I can castle. And of course he does...

15. d5 cxd5

16. Nxd5 Qb8

terrible. But I couldn't figure out where else to put the queen.

17. Bf4 Bd6

I didn't love Bf4 for White here. I was looking at g5 instead, which would have destroyed what was left of my position. Luckily Otello didn't see it. However, he's still winning.

18. Bxd6 Qxd6

19. 0-0-0 Qd8

Yikes!

20. Bb5! 0-0

Winning. I have no choice but to castle, losing my knight. Any other move and I'm completely lost. The only hope for me is that POSSIBLY I can gain back the piece, because after Ne7+ the black knight is trapped- maybe.

21. Ne7+ Kh8

22. Bxd7 Qf4+

Bxd7 was Otello's first real mistake IMO. If Rxd7, I am facing real problems. Not sure how I'm going to get that black knight. I was seriously considering resigning had he played Rxd7.

23. Kb1 Qf6

If 23. Qd2 Qf6 Qd6 then Rad8 creates big problems for White.

24. Nd5 exd5

25. Rxd5 Rad8

And somehow I survived this terrible opening. I am down a pawn, but it's not hopeless. My bishop in particular is in a good position and I'm still fighting.

Next up is the middlegame...

26. Rd1 Qb6

27. Bf5 Rxd1+

I didn't understand Bf5. It gives me my pawn back, gives white a weak pawn structure if it gets to an endgame. It gave me the advantage in the game for the first time.

28. Qxd1 Bxf5

29. gxf5 Qxf2

30. Rf3 Qf4

31. f6 gxf6

I think f6 was a good move, despite the fact that it gives up a pawn. I thought about playing Qxh5 but I was afraid. fxg7+ Kxg7 Rg3+ Kh6 Qd6+ and maybe he figures out a way to mate me.

32. Rf1 Re8

33. b3 Qg3

34. Kb2 Qe5

35. Ka3 Qe2

36. Qd7 Qe7+

White doesn't want to trade queens, but I'm forcing him. My hope is that even after giving the pawn up, my passed pawn on the f-file gives me the advantage in the rook pawn endgame. But it is very difficult.

37. Qxe7+ Rxe7

38. Rxf6 Kg7

And now we have reached the endgame. Black has the passed f pawn. White has a 3-2 advantage on the queenside. White also has a pawn on h5 which will create problems for me. I couldn't decide at this point whether to play for a win or a draw.

39. Rd6 f6

40. c4 Kf7

41. Kb4 Re5?

As will be seen, Re5 was an error. At the time I was going for a draw. I figured that after Rd7+ Re7 Rd6 Re5 we would have a draw. However, what I didn't see was that Rxe7 is actually winning for White. What I should have played was Rc7 allowing me to move my king to e7. (I also briefly considered f5?? Rxh6 f4. But the problem is that after trading rooks white's king can reach the f pawn in time and I am lost.)

42. Rd7+ Re7

43. Rxe7+! Ke7.

As I wrote, I never considered this. I didn't think that white would allow a king pawn endgame with the passed f pawn. But the key is white's h pawn. Black's king has time to capture both my h pawn and my f pawn while I'm trying to deal with his queenside pawn advantage. Then his h pawn wins the game before I can stop it. BUT white has to play exactly the right moves to accomplish this. Luckily for me he didn't.

44. Kc3 Ke6

Now at this point white needs to start advancing the queenside pawns RIGHT NOW. He needs to play b4, c5, b5, c6, and after I capture and he captures back, c7 and c8. That's 6 moves. I calculated this, and discovered I don't have time to capture white's h pawn and get back and capture that c pawn. And if I can't capture the h-pawn, white will eventually capture MY h pawn and win. However...

45. Kd4 Kf5

Kd4 was the error. Now after playing Kf5 I have time to get back: b4, Kg4, c5, Kxh5, b5, Kg6 and my king gets back in time, and the TWO passed pawns on the kingside are enough to occupy black's king while I finish off white's queenside pawns and win the game with my a pawn.

46. Ke3 Kg4

47. a4 a5

Otello felt a4 was an error, but a5 is also questionable. I force a situation where I will queen, but it allows white to queen as well, which may lead to a draw. Perhaps I should have just taken the h-pawn instead and then moved my king back to the queenside. But now I was worried after a4 that he might be able to create a protected passed pawn, which would cause me to lose the game.

48. c5 f5

49. b4 f4+

50. Kf2 axb4

51. c6 bxc6

52. a5 b3

53. a6 b2

54. a7 b1=Q

Now we have a queen pawn endgame. But I'm about to be 3 pawns up, so I SHOULD win this- eventually.

55. a8=Q Qb6+

56. Ke2 Qe3+

57. Kd1 Qd3+

58. Ke1 Qc3+

Hoping for Kf1 here, Kf3! wins

59. Kd1 Kxh5

Now the trick is to try and force a trade of queens. So long as I can do this with at least 2 of the pawns left, I win. But Otello makes it difficult, and if he hadn't blundered in a few moves, I'm not sure if I can accomplish this.

60. Qe8+ Kg5

61. Qe7+ Qf6

62. Qc5+ Kg6

63. Qc2+ Kf7

64. Qa2+ Qe6

65. Qa7+ Kf6

66. Qd4+ Ke7

The f pawn is poison here. After Qxf4 Qd6+ and white wins.

67. Qa7+? Qd7+

And the queens get traded, white wins. And I breathed a major sigh of relief. Otello played a great game. I was very lucky to win.

Alabama country bumpkin defeats high powered NYC uber lawyer in 38. Good game with two big mistakes. I saw his, he missed mine.

OK UniAlias, I am sending you a challenge. I will enter the tournament a second time as timschochet2. If anybody else decides to join, timschochet2 will drop out.

My game with batteries will likely take a while. He's in vegas and for some reason chess is not his number one priority. :loco:

He's moving when he can but I expect we'll be slow going for the next few days (not sure how long he'll be there). Just an FYI.

Joffer and I going slowly too. Which is OK with me because I can use the time to think things through. Though it's not doing me much good...

Joffer and I going slowly too. Which is OK with me because I can use the time to think things through. Though it's not doing me much good...
This is the GAME OF THE WEEK. I expected a pgn after this is over.
I made a couple small mistakes early and he has kept me on my heels ever since. I'm hanging in there though. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

brownsfan just beat me. i didn't see him make a single mistake. knew it was just a matter of time. very well played.

If I wanted to follow tim & Otello's game, could I copy/paste the moves somewhere (without tim's commentary) and watch it play out move by move?

:lazy:

Pav, Analyze This (android, not sure it is on ios ) will let you do that and has an engine to analyze moves and hypotheticals. I used it for my first game as a post game breakdown and found about a dozen mistakes.

Leaving Taiwan this morning, so I'm on planes for the next 20 hours or so. Should pick up after I get home.

In Tim's posted game, I think 24. N-c8 jumped out at me as a better move. White is up a solid exchange at that point, rather than giving the piece back for a pawn. I haven't finished going through it yet, though.

The only issue with that G&G is that my bishop on H7 becomes really powerful. Powerful enough to make up for the exchange? Not sure.

Otello (1) vs. timschochet (1) (0-1)

kutta (1) vs. Joffer (1) in progress

Joe T (1) vs. Shader (1) (1-0)

Boomboom (1) vs. Cheese (1) (1-0)

Mister CIA (1) vs. Green and Gold (1) (0-1)

nysfl2 (1) vs. Steve Tasker (1) in progress

Brownsfan (1) vs. spOOfy (1) (1-0)

Otis (,5) vs. Sand (.5) (0-1)

TimmyPG (.5) vs. wdcrop (.5) (0-1)

AAA Batteries vs. Psychopav in progress

AcerFC vs. rajinCajun (0-1)

Abraham vs. jamny (1-0)

rascal vs. Bogart in progress

Shotsup vs. Pizzatyme (0-1)

Witz vs. Ray Karpis (1-0)

timschochet2 vs. UniAlias in progress

Users who are viewing this thread