What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - 30 years ago, from the makers of V.I. Warshawski (4 Viewers)

After sleeping on it, I want Nick gone but won't be devastated if he stays.

But I want Vrabel. He's the perfect fit. Fix the F'n defense. Hire an OC with experience, maybe a failed HC like Reich, Staley, etc.

Or hell, give me Harbaugh and then bring in Wink or another experienced DC to completely take it over and revamp our defense.

Staley for Offensive Coordinator?
Oops meant Smith.

Conversation with a good friend today.

He said:
I think the call to fire Sirianni is crazy, personally. It is insanely hard to land in the conference championship game and Super Bowl every single season.

I said,

Agreed. And I'm almost always in the "this is really hard, keep the coach" camp. For instance, I would have NEVER let Andy Reid get out of Philadelphia.

But in this case I think it's 2 things.

1. The relatively short track record of (huge) success.
2. The spectacular collapse. This team was 10-1. And looked completely lost and noncompetitive and, most importantly, apathetic for the last 6 weeks.

Last edited:
You're missing the point. When you hear that a team loses both coordinators and it hasn't happened in 30 years, how do you process that info? Because it's reads like you think the transition should be smooth because one guy should be able to overcome the jobs of 8-10 coaches.

So if your belief is that losing both coordinators makes it difficult for a coach to succeed, and you think that Sirianni should not be fired, you must be keeping Johnson or Patricia/Desai, right?

2005 Patriots played in (and won) the previous SB then lost both coordinators. They started shaky, barely getting to 4-4 before getting things turned around and finishing the season winning 6 of their last 8 games, won the AFC East, won their WC round playoff game, then lost to the 13-3 Broncos, who went to the SB.

1995 49'ers played in (and won) the previous SB then lost both coordinators. They won the NFC West for the 4th consecutive year, had the best scoring offense, and best overall defense in the NFL, then lost in the divisional round.

Not expecting Sirianni to be Belichick or Seifert, but a coach worth keeping and giving another chance to should have at least been able to show some ability to contribute to avoiding the unmitigated disaster this season turned into, even if the things he tried would have been met with mixed success. What's the point of a head coach that can't at least reach that bar? He tried one thing (moving Patricia up) and it failed miserably.

I'm not saying Sirianni won't be fired. I'm saying the issues we've seen this year are not on him. I've already said (I think to you?) that if you're parting with both coordinators the case can 100% be made to move on from Nick as well. To be clear, I don't think he should be fired while understanding there's a good chance he will be if you're cleaning house. The ONLY way he can stay and succeed is if you land a Reich as OC and a Martindale as DC. We will be in bad shape if either coordinator stays or we backfill with no names. It's a 50-50 to me he's fired.

I think we're getting somewhere now. Lets start with the 2005 patriots first. As I mentioned above that if a team is deficient in talent and coaching it will show like ours did this year. The 2006 Patriots clearly had the talent and they went on to replace their purged coordinators with who? Josh McDaniels and Dean Pees.

Same with SF, they obviously had the talent, lost both coordinators and replaced them with Marc Trestman and Pete Carrol.

So let me ask, do you think Brian Johnson and Sean Desai will have similar careers to Josh McDaniels, Dean Pees, Marc Trestmen and Pete Carrol?

Not expecting Sirianni to be Belichick or Seifert

It sure reads like you are but the key is that he can't be because the supporting casts are just not in the same realm.

Reactions: JAA
Name 1 big name linebacker Howie ever brought in. Unfortunately, in Howies Salary Cap world, which I subscribe to, LBs and RBs are after thoughts.
Yep and the one they brought in and developed (TJ Edwards) he lets walk at the old age of 26!

I have no idea of the true relationship between Sirianni and Lurie. My guess, and it's just a guess, is he's as annoying to work with as one would expect.

That's a big negative when he's steering the ship on one of the most spectacular collapses in recent memory.

It's the Bobby Knight principle: Winning covers up a lot of other stuff.

For instance, I would have NEVER let Andy Reid get out of Philadelphia.

@Joe Bryant but you would have. Andy went from 11-5 in 2009 to 10-6, 8-8 and 4-12 in a year where he made an OL coach his DC (you'll NEVER see this again) because our GM already had a DL coach on the team that was gonna run his system.

Really crappy ending to a season where we end up not doing one thing well. Among all the things we do badly this is what makes me the most angry.
The coaches stubborn refusal to never go run heavy even with aj brown not playing and hurts having a broken finger was criminal.
Not making excuses, but the Bucs deployed specific 6 man run heavy fronts to get Philly out of their run game. They were daring Hurts to throw.
I swear it was the same defensive gameplan from the 2021 playoffs. I don’t think Bowles respects Hurts at all.
They didn't have A.J. Brown in that game either.

Step 1- Fire Everybody
Step 2- Hmmmmmm, maybe we better not fire everyone just yet

I'm not sure I have seen a collapse quite like the Eagles from 10-1
Was it a mirage thru 11 weeks, what was going well that produced those wins?
Miami played you all this season and they crumbled in the 2nd Half but I thought we were good enough to be on the field with you guys.

I would allow the HC a Year 3 since he did make the Super Bowl and had them 10-1 but I would revamp the assistants, pretty sure you all lost a couple and a slew of players last off season, maybe expectations were too high this year.

You all have one of the better GMs in the NFL, that's a huge advantage in figuring out the problems and addressing them.

They were in trouble week 1 when they didn’t blow out NE and issues kept popping up. They won a few games just on sheer talent and a few on other teams mistakes (KC drop passes, dak stepping out of bounds, etc). This was one of those times when at 10-1 where the saying your record is who they are didn’t hold weight. I had concerns very early in the year. Playcalling was confusing, hurts looked slow/hurt, defense looked just as bad sometimes worse than last year. Many figured they would figure it out. I just had a bad guy feeling after the first few weeks they weren’t turning this around and eventually would hurt them. Then the injuries also played a factor where we were lucky on that last year. I figured it bite us in the *** during that rough stretch but it only happened after the SF game.

Just poor poor poor all around. No one seems to want to take any accountability either from coaching to players. This team lacks leadership veteran wise once the vets leave

For instance, I would have NEVER let Andy Reid get out of Philadelphia.

@Joe Bryant but you would have. Andy went from 11-5 in 2009 to 10-6, 8-8 and 4-12 in a year where he made an OL coach his DC (you'll NEVER see this again) because our GM already had a DL coach on the team that was gonna run his system.
Lets not forget Andy's son literally died on Eagles property from a drug overdose as well. There were a lot of signs pointing to the time was for Andy to move on.

Last edited:
How would any great HC handle inept coordinators? Nearly every great HC that I can think of couldn’t overcome them. Why are we expecting Sirianni to do something they couldn’t do?

On offense, Brian Johnson isn't left to his own devices. It's been made clear that, a former OC, Sirianni has a heavy influence on setting the gameplan on offense, the approach they take to running what is "his" offense, and that he has final say on what goes on the play sheet. If Johnson and the offensive staff bring him crappy plays or gameplans, that is exactly what a good (offensive) HC would shut down, tweak, or improve. So he's either on board with the bad stuff they are trying, or not willing to challenge it.

On gameday, Brian Johnson definitely was not good at deploying the plays at the right time or right situation, but Sirianni gave up doing that because he admitted he wasn't good at it, either. And the OC is limited to what they installed that week for that game, which Sirianni approved. If there's amazing plays wasting away on the play sheet that the OC isn't going to, again, that's on the head coach that approves the game plan to get bad plays out so they aren't even an option.

If I'm a former chef and now run a restaurant, hire a head chef, and stock his kitchen with weak or bad recipes (either on my own or by approving the bad orders the chef places) and no one wants to eat the resulting menu of dishes, isn't the person running the restaurant the most responsible if it goes out of business?

On defense, which isn't his forte, there can be more slack given but if you think about the problems the D was experiencing and how the HC chose to handle, his decision objectively made things worse. If Desai was truly inept, it's Sirianni that brought him in. If he wasn't and it was a panic move to replace him mid-season with another inept coordinator, that also reflects badly on him.

He didn't inherit 2 (3?) inept coordinators. He brought all of them in. That he couldn't overcome them being inept shouldn't be an indictment on them.
From everything I heard and read adesso was a panic jute as Gannon really ****ed them over. Fanhood was brought in, in case Gannon got a job and would replace Gannon but then Fangio was offered the DC position in Mia. By the time Howie company found out about Gannon it was too late on Fangio. There wasn’t much of a plan B. It was more if we need someone now who runs this system and it was slim Pickens

And this "Epic collapse" narrative is getting old and fast. Me and a few others highlighted how fortunate this team was early on. This team NEVER passed the eye test beginning in week 1! Week after week we were all "waiting for it to click" and it never did. I expect the inflated view of what they were from people who don't watch them. If you watched every game you knew they werent as good as national people made them out to be or what their record said.
I'm not sure making the case the team stunk the entire year, not just the last two months, is really a point in Sirianni's favor.
It’s not we were just winning some of those games by talent over the other side, sheer luck or not making as many mistakes as the other team. A worse talent team and we aren’t making the playoffs. Mediocre team picking in the middle

Maybe I'm just not able to think of one, but I don't think the "Give the coach one more year to try to turn things around" after a disastrous season has ever seen that coach turn things around enough to win (or make a serious run at) a SB.
The issue is, who wants to work for an owner/GM who has no patience? Like Tepper? They are career ruiners.
If the Eagles fire Siriani, that would also be the definition of no patience.

On 10/22/23 I sent a text that said "Hurts just came out of the half with a knee brace on I think". Didnt realize until today that they didnt call a single QB run yesterday and thought he looks SO SLOW last night. I fully expect to hear he's having surgery soon.
I said something when they announced a knee issue I wonder if he’s been hurt all year and giving an excuse ready

Maybe I am not on the same bandwagon, but I feel like Nick needs to go. He took over play calling for the offense while the defense collapsed. This team had zero motivation and i look at that as a HC problem. Personally, I would love to have someone hard charging.. maybe Vrabel. BTW, this article fired me up: https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/...tice-habits-miami-heat-golden-state-warriors/. If we are lazy in practice, we are lazy in games. Practice as you play IMO.
Agreed, the team did not respond to him at all down the stretch. No way you go into next season with him and that’s a positive situation.

Maybe I'm just not able to think of one, but I don't think the "Give the coach one more year to try to turn things around" after a disastrous season has ever seen that coach turn things around enough to win (or make a serious run at) a SB.
The issue is, who wants to work for an owner/GM who has no patience? Like Tepper? They are career ruiners.
Lurie cares it’s when the coach shows no signs of accountability after struggling like Doug and Chip where he gets mad.

On 10/22/23 I sent a text that said "Hurts just came out of the half with a knee brace on I think". Didnt realize until today that they didnt call a single QB run yesterday and thought he looks SO SLOW last night. I fully expect to hear he's having surgery soon.
I said something when they announced a knee issue I wonder if he’s been hurt all year and giving an excuse ready
Check out the video I posted earlier. He looks like a completely different player running last year versus this year.

Someone mentioned it on the previous thread and I think they are right ... Jalen Hurts lack of outward passion for the game rubbed off on this team. Kyler Murray often shows the same attitude. I'm sure they both care a lot. It just isn't in a motivating way.

And this "Epic collapse" narrative is getting old and fast. Me and a few others highlighted how fortunate this team was early on. This team NEVER passed the eye test beginning in week 1! Week after week we were all "waiting for it to click" and it never did. I expect the inflated view of what they were from people who don't watch them. If you watched every game you knew they werent as good as national people made them out to be or what their record said.
Again, while this is fair, it didn't mean they were BAD, it didn't mean they weren't a playoff caliber team that had no business losing to teams like the Giants and Cardinals with the division on the line. BAD teams don't beat four ten+ win playoff caliber teams in a row. NOBODY is that "lucky"

Someone mentioned it on the previous thread and I think they are right ... Jalen Hurts lack of outward passion for the game rubbed off on this team. Kyler Murray often shows the same attitude. I'm sure they both care a lot. It just isn't in a motivating way.
Meanwhile a guy like Baker who is probably less talented has teammates ready to commit crimes on the field for him. I wonder if there is anything to that.

Meanwhile a guy like Baker who is probably less talented has teammates ready to commit crimes on the field for him. I wonder if there is anything to that.

I wondered this too.

Hurts is always cool and calm. But he seemed to go way past that and looked disinterested at times.

This is pure speculation on my part but that feels like the biggest thing I'd worry about with Sirianni.

Again, while this is fair, it didn't mean they were BAD, it didn't mean they weren't a playoff caliber team that had no business losing to teams like the Giants and Cardinals with the division on the line. BAD teams don't beat four ten+ win playoff caliber teams in a row. NOBODY is that "lucky"
The team and talent won in spite of the coaching. I’m not ever saying they were bad. I’m saying while they sat at 10-1 they looked like a 6-5 or 7-4 team. Knowing what we know now and going back to watch older games you see all of the same things.

A 6-5 or 7-4 team doesn’t have an “Epic collapse”. We were in no way, shape or form ever 10-1 good. Anyone who watched games had to see this.

I wondered this too.

Hurts is always cool and calm. But he seemed to go way past that and looked disinterested at times.

This is pure speculation on my part but that feels like the biggest thing I'd worry about with Sirianni.
Watching Hurts in press conferences is like watching a cardboard cutout, he's got zero personality or charisma. He doesn't seem like the firey leader type.

Really crappy ending to a season where we end up not doing one thing well. Among all the things we do badly this is what makes me the most angry.
The coaches stubborn refusal to never go run heavy even with aj brown not playing and hurts having a broken finger was criminal.
Not making excuses, but the Bucs deployed specific 6 man run heavy fronts to get Philly out of their run game. They were daring Hurts to throw.
that's what I saw too. Much as we wanted the Eagles to run, the Bucs forced them to pass. For whatever reason, Eagles were unable to. I was angry that despite the blitz heavy scheme, Eagles rarely seemed to have outlet options. Would be easier to figure out on an all 22, but it felt more like a scheme/playcall issue, at least on offense. .Defense is a mixed bag, they just don't have many playmakers on that side of the ball.

Am I the only one who missed this? I don’t remember seeing or hearing about it ever.

I remember thinking this moment was super telling.

I wonder if Hurts is just tired of having to be the adult.

He looks around the league and sees great head coaches. He's played for coaches like Nick Saban and Lincoln Riley.

I'm sure going from them to a guy like Sirianni is a shock.
I don’t even remember seeing this but yeah, this is telling and not something a leader does at all.

Betting Odds of the next #Eagles Head Coach (*If not Sirianni*) :

Mike Vrabel (-150)
Bill Belichick (+400)
Bobby Slowik (+400)
Ben Johnson (+500)
Jim Harbaugh (+900)
Frank Smith (12/1)
Rex Ryan (16/1)
Mike Macdonald (16/1)
Dann Quinn (16/1)
Todd Monken (18/1)
Kellen Moore (18/1)
Pete Carroll (25/1)
Brian Callahan (28/1)
Jim Schwartz (28/1)
Mike Lafleur (33/1)
Aaron Glenn (33/1)
Jason Kelce (33/1)
Dave Canales (40/1)
Mike Kafka (40/1)
Raheem Morris (40/1)

via @betonline_ag

I wondered this too.

Watching Hurts in press conferences is like watching a cardboard cutout, he's got zero personality or charisma. He doesn't seem like the firey leader type.
No Rizz?

I have the luxury of watching games through All-22 in real time
what is this?

All-22 is the coaches tape you'll see later in the week after games
And how do you get it? And how do you share it with your closest friends here at FBG?

And how do you get it?

Yes. How are you seeing all 22 film live @Bigboy10182000 ?

I work for the NFL. We are responsible for player safety and All-22 is one of our many feeds on game day. It’s a DVR style system so I can watch plays, from every angle, over and over.

There was talk some of the players were getting annoyed by his quotes in the media of doing better and motivational quotes. How true that is I don’t know. Wentz has an issue with his Christianity here. It was more so he was a fake Christian or did more to look better for what he talked about type thing.

Maybe I’m reading things wrong but I think players can tell when a player is being a Phoney or not. Not saying either player is but players expect a QB to be a certain way. They’ll put up with a Tom Brady and his ******** as long as they are winning, but once things go south and stay there they want to punch the guy in the face and off the team.

Also with AJ Brown’s supposed tantrums, will be interesting to find out if that is an issue with coaches or what.
I think AJ is part of the problem. Hurts is a good guy and leader but when you have an alpha like AJ in the room it makes it much hard for a quite leader like Hurts to leave. I could see Brown here one more season and if things don’t work out he’s gone

The #Eagles offense -- final 7 games (with playoffs)

Offensive PPG -- 16.9 (26th in #NFL )
YPG -- 327.6 (19th)
YPP -- 5.3 (15th)
TOP -- 28:00 (29th)
Rush YPG -- 109.4 (18th)
Pass YPG -- 218.1 (16th)
3rd down % -- 44.2% (7th)
Red zone % -- 52.6% (21st)
Turnovers -- 12 (t-30th)

The #Eagles were 3rd in the #NFL in the last 7 games in yards before contact per rush (2.20).

They were 32nd in yards after contact per rush (2.15)

what is this?

And how do you get it? And how do you share it with your closest friends here at FBG?

And how do you get it?

I work for the NFL. We are responsible for player safety and All-22 is one of our many feeds on game day. It’s a DVR style system so I can watch plays, from every angle, over and over.
Question for you last game I think Det/LaR game it was stopped by one of your people to make sure Puka went through concussion protocol. Ref asked the Rams and then when he got there yes he went back in.

How can they determine if he was properly checked or not? Is that radioed to you guys or is that a different set of procedures? I mean if not kept track of teams and players could lie just to get their guy back in there for an important down/play.

what is this?

And how do you get it?

Question for you last game I think Det/LaR game it was stopped by one of your people to make sure Puka went through concussion protocol. Ref asked the Rams and then when he got there yes he went back in.

How can they determine if he was properly checked or not? Is that radioed to you guys or is that a different set of procedures? I mean if not kept track of teams and players could lie just to get their guy back in there for an important down/play.

So once you put them in the protocol one of the independent doctors has to evaluate him and clear him. If he’s cleared or not it has to be reported back to the ATC Spotter who put him in the protocol. What I think happened there was that he cleared but no one ever reported it back to the ATC. So when the ATC noticed him on the field they radioed to the ref to remove him.

Also with AJ Brown’s supposed tantrums, will be interesting to find out if that is an issue with coaches or what.
I think AJ is part of the problem. Hurts is a good guy and leader but when you have an alpha like AJ in the room it makes it much hard for a quite leader like Hurts to leave. I could see Brown here one more season and if things don’t work out he’s gone

What is it with the diva WRs?

Diggs, Jefferson & Brown are all very talented but all are cry babies and act like children.

When he loses his wheels he loses a major dimension of his game. Not good.

Didn't throw in the middle of the field. At all
And a couple years ago he was good at it!
It's on the coaches. What the hell were the coaches doing on either side of the ball the past 8 weeks? They all need to be canned IMO (including the head coach).

What is it with the diva WRs?

Diggs, Jefferson & Brown are all very talented but all are cry babies and act like children.
It's inherent to the position. As long as Brown is still on good terms with Hurts and isn't threatening to not play, I don't really care what he says or does.

Pain. All I know is pain.

This is a little dramatic. There are a lot of fan bases that have it worse.
Vikings fan checking in. What I would not give for a Super Bowl, and another Super Bowl appearance. I am a grandfather and the Vikings have never been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.
I do think the difference is the emotional roller coaster with the huge tease. 10-1 playing some of the top teams in the league after the close SB. The fall off the cliff is why most Eagles fans are kicking themselves. If they just were 9-8 or whatever would be lot easier to not have the huge letdown

Coordinators must go. Nick didn't hire the coordinators but surely didn't get the most out of them either. Whatever Jeff and Howie decide to do, I'm ok with.

With that said, Howie needs to take a look in the mirror. Signing old guys (again) to extensions didn't help out or work. Ignoring the S and LB positions again, did not work. These need to remedied immediately.

I expect a big FA/trade season from him.
Name 1 big name linebacker Howie ever brought in. Unfortunately, in Howies Salary Cap world, which I subscribe to, LBs and RBs are after thoughts.
Was Demeco Ryan’s still on his game when the Eagles signed him?

Users who are viewing this thread