What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (8 Viewers)

Feels like we need an OL discussion to bring us all together prior to the Draft, seems to be on most folks minds and for good reason.
-First of all, Miami did sign a free agent for the IOL, Aaron Brewer and his run blocking highlights are eye-opening, his weakness is more pass protection...that might be a problem.
6 sacks allowed and 34 QB pressures from his spot on the OL, last year it was Center. Year before he allowed 31 QB pressures and 4 sacks. He's no Connor Williams
Brewer started 15 games at LG in '22 and 17 at Center in '23, 5 at RG in '21, he was an UDFA in 2020 and just stuck to the practice squad until his number was called.

-Miami also has Robert Jones, signed a 1 yr deal to return for less than $2M, Lester Cotton is still on this team and only is costing about $1M and then you have Liam Eichenberg and he currently is costing $4M+ and would cost less than $1M to part ways with, he's fighting to make the team right now I would say, 42nd overall pick in '21.
Cotton and Jones are both UDFA, if either one of them could actually start at RG/LG, would be a huge lift for Miami and also allow them more freedom in the Draft

-I'm still not done discussing the IOL of this football team, we have a couple more names believe it or not. Isaiah Wynn was resigned a little while back very quietly. Wynn was the 18th overall pick in 2018, he's only 27 yrs old right now and was starting at LG, doing a solid job early last season and then he went down with an injury and was lost for the season IIRC...he's IN the MIX! And if that doesn't interest you, let me welcome Jack Driscoll, former 4th round pick by the Eagles and played all 4 of his rookie contract years in Philly, mostly a back up. But Miami did give him a signing bonus of $400k, close to $1M guaranteed, Driscoll might only be a back up but he also might be the reason we part ways with Liam before the season even starts.

So I just went over about 5 names to fill up those 3 spots along the IOL, I have faith that at least 1-2 of them can be played at a pretty high level for what we need on Offense.

-As for the 2 Tackle spots, they're spoken for with Armstead and AJax, if those 2 are standing upright, then you won't see Kendall Lamm ($2.5M) play much on his final year in the NFL.
Miami could surely use a better long term solution than Lamm but he filled in admirably last year and Miami's next Tackle will likely push Armstead to retirement or looking for a new team.

What does all this mean for the Draft? If they want to get some instant production, it would be wise to look long and hard at JPJ or Zach Frasier at Center although I imagine they could both start at either Guard position, and then Graham Barton from Duke - projects more as an inside force vs playing RT/LT
I also think it means they're not as desperate on the OL as some would think they are vs that Front 6-7 on Defense, I hear Weaver is not sleeping so well right now.

JPJ-Braswell, JPJ-Wilson(Dream), Frasier-Jenkins-3rd pick,
Dejean-Jenkins/Fiske, Dejean-Frasier, DeJean-Amegadjie
Newton-Amegadjie, Newton-Wilson, these are the kind of combos I am expecting at 21-55, something close to these

And keep an eye on Zak Zinter, starting RG for Michigan for like 4 years, he's pretty good IMHO. 4th-5th round type pick and can be used to plug things inside.
I do not see Miami going OL with both 21 and 55, that would be a terrible plan IMHO

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

I think Butch Barry has definitely coached up some of these OL guys that previously looked like busts.
I went over just about everybody we have competing on OL, Butch arrived in 2023
-Armstead was already pretty good, Connor Williams was great in '22 before he arrived, Austin Jackson finally started and finished a season at 1 spot-RT.
Isaiah Wynn was a 1st round pick by the Patriots in 2018, Robert Hunt was already a Pro Bowl level RG before Barry got here.
I'm not saying he hasn't been a strong force as OL coach, just not sure I give him as much credit as you all, to the point I would forgive Grier for reaching at 55.

I do appreciate you pointing him out and maybe he can do great work again in '24, Miami is going to need it.

Grier took Edge & LT - the two high profile, high expense positions where we had an obvious long term need.
This is always the defense of these project picks though. I think Armando has been using this spin from the front office for well over a decade.

Fans have a right to be skeptical because they have whiffed so often on these. I don’t think Grier is good at evaluating these positions.

I don’t understand taking such projects with these picks. Grier has such an awful track record with it.

Agreed - there’s Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt & Laremy Tunsil - not much after that.

Mike McDaniel to Patrick Paul:

“You’re going to be in a locked up dungeon with Butch for the next couple of months.”

Grier took Edge & LT - the two high profile, high expense positions where we had an obvious long term need.
This is always the defense of these project picks though. I think Armando has been using this spin from the front office for well over a decade.

Fans have a right to be skeptical because they have whiffed so often on these. I don’t think Grier is good at evaluating these positions.

Understood - but after Armstead/Lamm - who have both hinted at retirement after next year who do the Dolphins have at LT?

Feels like we need an OL discussion to bring us all together prior to the Draft, seems to be on most folks minds and for good reason.
-First of all, Miami did sign a free agent for the IOL, Aaron Brewer and his run blocking highlights are eye-opening, his weakness is more pass protection...that might be a problem.
6 sacks allowed and 34 QB pressures from his spot on the OL, last year it was Center. Year before he allowed 31 QB pressures and 4 sacks. He's no Connor Williams
Brewer started 15 games at LG in '22 and 17 at Center in '23, 5 at RG in '21, he was an UDFA in 2020 and just stuck to the practice squad until his number was called.

-Miami also has Robert Jones, signed a 1 yr deal to return for less than $2M, Lester Cotton is still on this team and only is costing about $1M and then you have Liam Eichenberg and he currently is costing $4M+ and would cost less than $1M to part ways with, he's fighting to make the team right now I would say, 42nd overall pick in '21.
Cotton and Jones are both UDFA, if either one of them could actually start at RG/LG, would be a huge lift for Miami and also allow them more freedom in the Draft

-I'm still not done discussing the IOL of this football team, we have a couple more names believe it or not. Isaiah Wynn was resigned a little while back very quietly. Wynn was the 18th overall pick in 2018, he's only 27 yrs old right now and was starting at LG, doing a solid job early last season and then he went down with an injury and was lost for the season IIRC...he's IN the MIX! And if that doesn't interest you, let me welcome Jack Driscoll, former 4th round pick by the Eagles and played all 4 of his rookie contract years in Philly, mostly a back up. But Miami did give him a signing bonus of $400k, close to $1M guaranteed, Driscoll might only be a back up but he also might be the reason we part ways with Liam before the season even starts.

So I just went over about 5 names to fill up those 3 spots along the IOL, I have faith that at least 1-2 of them can be played at a pretty high level for what we need on Offense.

-As for the 2 Tackle spots, they're spoken for with Armstead and AJax, if those 2 are standing upright, then you won't see Kendall Lamm ($2.5M) play much on his final year in the NFL.
Miami could surely use a better long term solution than Lamm but he filled in admirably last year and Miami's next Tackle will likely push Armstead to retirement or looking for a new team.

What does all this mean for the Draft? If they want to get some instant production, it would be wise to look long and hard at JPJ or Zach Frasier at Center although I imagine they could both start at either Guard position, and then Graham Barton from Duke - projects more as an inside force vs playing RT/LT
I also think it means they're not as desperate on the OL as some would think they are vs that Front 6-7 on Defense, I hear Weaver is not sleeping so well right now.

Newton-Amegadjie, Newton-Wilson, these are the kind of combos I am expecting at 21-55, something close to these

And keep an eye on Zak Zinter, starting RG for Michigan for like 4 years, he's pretty good IMHO. 4th-5th round type pick and can be used to plug things inside.
I do not see Miami going OL with both 21 and 55, that would be a terrible plan IMHO

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

I think Butch Barry has definitely coached up some of these OL guys that previously looked like busts.
-Armstead was already pretty good, Connor Williams was great in '22 before he arrived, Austin Jackson finally started and finished a season at 1 spot-RT.
Isaiah Wynn was a 1st round pick by the Patriots in 2018, Robert Hunt was already a Pro Bowl level RG before Barry got here.
I'm not saying he hasn't been a strong force as OL coach, just not sure I give him as much credit as you all, to the point I would forgive Grier for reaching at 55.

I do appreciate you pointing him out and maybe he can do great work again in '24, Miami is going to need it.
Fair points. I forget the stats and am posting from my phone in Munich, but they also had a ridiculous amount of different lineups too with all of the injuries.

Not saying it is a good pick just think he is a good position group coach so I can see the potential upside. Hard to know whether a player’s bad technique can be fixed from the sofa.

There are real holes in the middle of this defense. TE is still a need.

Understood - but after Armstead/Lamm - who have both hinted at retirement after next year who do the Dolphins have at LT?
Good point too. Armstead himself was a project coming out.

Just concerned with the amount of holes on this team.

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

Fair points. I forget the stats and am posting from my phone in Munich, but they also had a ridiculous amount of different lineups too with all of the injuries.

Not saying it is a good pick just think he is a good position group coach so I can see the potential upside. Hard to know whether a player’s bad technique can be fixed from the sofa.

Munich-Style Lagers, sometimes Marzan can be referred to as well.
I'm jealous you're in Germany, just visiting or do you reside there?

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

Munich-Style Lagers, sometimes Marzan can be referred to as well.
I'm jealous you're in Germany, just visiting or do you reside there?
We’ve done Berlin-Prague-Munich in this trip. Head back home on Tuesday.

About to head to a Bayern Munich match. Enjoyed reading the takes in here!

I don’t understand taking such projects with these picks. Grier has such an awful track record with it.

Agreed - there’s Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt & Laremy Tunsil - not much after that.

Mike McDaniel to Patrick Paul:

“You’re going to be in a locked up dungeon with Butch for the next couple of months.”
Please tell me that is a real quote 😆
100% real - here is the link . . .

Again, guy with all the tools that needs coaching. McDaniels specialty
Why do you keep beating this drum?
McDaniel helped with the '22 and '23 Drafts, now the '24 Draft...
Name 1 guy Miami/Grier/McD has drafted since he arrived that the team has coached up.
Channing Tindall, Cam Smith...I was pretty high when they drafted Achane but I don't think of that as coaching up, that's talent and speed speed speed.
We have a lot of guys on the back of milk cartons around here.
Ok, look, to be fair other than the year we had 3 picks in the first round I don't do a lot of "draft study" and with NIL I pay less attention to college football than ever before. I do read a lot of sports commentary from guys I like, kind of the way I approach FF.

So...

We had a need at edge and along the offensive line. We addressed those positions, maybe not with "plug and play" guys, but I think Chop has no choice but to be in the lineup in some form or another from day 1, and The Tackle we will need "at least" in a year.

What did Miami draft: Freaks at those positions who need coaching, who seem like the types that want to be coached.

For chop: He is fast but lacks a "second move" but look at the tape. He forced Michigan to change their game plan vs penn state bc he was owning their right tackle. He's going to a room where both Chubb and Phillips have already reached out to him and he wants to be great. I'll take that. He can also move inside on passing downs, so a line of Chubb Seiler Phillips and chop on third and long is nothing to sneeze at.

For the Tackle: Long arms, nible, and all the size in the world. Knock on him is he gets too "upright" in coverage at times and he's a better pass blocker than run blocker. He wanted to be here according to all the reports, and he was slotted as high as 24 to the cowboys or late third depending on the source. He also wants to be coached, and that is what we do here now.

Drafts are what they are. Are their "names I recognize" that I may have preferred? yes. Do I trust Grier and this coaching staff? More than MOP does.

On a completely different note, I am not sure what the AFCE is thinking in general:

The Bills seem to be taking a muligan year. Let a lot of good players go bc of their cap situation, and not really backfillling the roster with guys I trust. Their offense is going to be Whatever magic Allen can concoct and James Cook can conjure along with Kincaid and Shakir with less defense than before. Don't see how they compete with KC with this roster.

Miami had some similar cap casualties but seems to have filled those holes with bodies at least that can compete. The skill positions are still loaded and the O line while being rebuit still has 3/5 starters from last year. Defense is taking a step backwards and a new coordinator. However, if McDaniel continues to mature and evolve as a coach and a playcaller, I think the team is is decent shape. We need a year where the injury bug is more of a mosquito than a swarm of bees.

Both Miami and the Bills seem to be less than a year ago, but KC, Cincy, and Houston are improving in FA and the draft.

The Jets are pinning their hopes to Rodgers. I am considering putting a bet down on the Jets to win the AFCE mainly bc assuming Rodgers plays they are the most improved team in the AFCE this year.

The Pats are rebuilding. 5 wins is my expectation but 7 would not surprise me.

I like the pick. Watch a lot of Penn State games and this kid can play. You don't wear the #11 as a LB in Happy Valley unless you are special. Given the injuries at the position best case scenario he allows us to move on from Chubb after this season and re-sign Phillips if he comes back fully. If Phillips just isn't the same then you have another legit talent in place if you move on.

Hey @Ministry of Pain the Falcons and Arthur Blank are making Steven Ross look like owner of the year. I mean you tamper to bring in Cousins and give him $100 million guaranteed which should likely end up costing you next years first round pick. Then you reach for a 24 year old QB instead of getting someone that can contribute now. So basically you traded next years 1st round pick to get Cousins assuming the tampering, which seems like a given, and then you draft a guy this you who likely won't play until he is 27. I felt the Patriots reached for Maye (I'm not impressed by him) but this one takes the cake.
I thought the Arthur Blank joke was hilarious....you know I had Penix on a short list of guys I hoped Miami might surprise the media and take

Defensive Tackle - Big names still on the board, Newton is a total steal at this point. You also have Fiske, Kris Jenkins who I like a lot
Cooper Dejean is silly good here in the 2nd, doubt he is going to fall to 55, not sure Miami would even take him when they went for Chop over Cooper
I also like Sainristil from Michigan at Cornerback.
Wilson the LB from NC State still on the board.

I like Braswell at Edge as much or more than Chop and Braswell was a 2nd round projection, played on Bama.
Would Miami take another Edge rusher? Can you ever have enough of them?

OL - JPJ and Frazier are both still on the board, Miami could address an area of need
Depends on how you view a potential Wynn-Brewer-Jones or Wynn-Brewer-Eichenberg as the starting IOL

"Chop Chop" is also pretty damn funny
Penix is Tua with a better arm. A guy who had not one, but two ACL injuries, and brutal shoulder injury, no mobility…..bust written all over him.

You kidding me?

Anyway….I like Chop. Huge upside. And yeah we reached on our second rounder but the massive physicality he brings….he can hopefully be developed and in a year or two when we say goodbye to the oft injured Armstead.

9 wins max this upcoming season folks. We are not a better football team then last season.

We are stuck with Tua for the foreseeable future.

Same ****….different era.

Ho hum.

Go Panthers (Florida Panthers that is).

Last edited:
Draft in total is looking pretty solid. One pick left then the usual UDFA run. D line gonna be young and raw to start the season that’s for sure.

DT is the last “glaring” hole.

How does this team come out of the draft faster than before. Crazy.

Jaylen Wright-RB and Malik Washington-WR

MoP likes these 2 picks, 4th and 5th round? No problem since most late round picks won't make it.
This might surprise a few of you that I have anything nice to say
But anytime you add 4.35 speed at RB and then grab a WR that had 110/1,400/9Td...that's not a misprint and he accumulated that in just one season at Virginia?
Malik spent 4 years at Northwestern, enters the transfer portal and gets 1 more year to prove it at Virginia, what else could you want?

The dude is like 5-9, 200 lbs, thick frame and could actually be a potential weapon out of the backfield, he could be a lot more than a slot guy in this offense.
And Miami added more speed at RB, Jeff Wilson and Ahmed are fighting for a roster spot at this point. Also Mostert is closer to 35 than 25, he's the Miami starting RB
This was a good spot to spend a 4th, cheap investment for the next few years, I like the pick.

You're not going to replace Wilkins or Hunt in the 4th, 5th, 6th round, great spot to invest in skill position guys that will have to be very good in order to leap frog or get snaps.
Can never have enough speed at RB/WR, beyond just the starting spots.

There are times where I like what Miami does, I just dislike their 21 and 55 picks...but I'm trying to warm up to Chop

Last edited:
On paper this looks like a good draft.

Fingers crossed.
I'm going to need to more detail than that.
21 and 55, the floor is yours...except for my monologue forthcoming :lol:

Need I remind everyone we didn't have a 3rd round pick and we traded something to get that pick at 120...
-And oh boy, I just saw what we traded...so we FORFEITED via Ross the 3rd round pick this year, then traded next year's 3rd round pick, but we might have more than 1 of them
Still, we traded our 3rd to go get a RB to work in behind Mostert-Achane and the rest of the pack...OK, Mostert can't keep going forever, Achane-Wright in '25, yeah I get it.
Honestly I like Wright, he wasn't abused much in college, lot of tread on them tires right now. Way more upside than Myles Gaskins who ate up a roster spot for far too long here.

59-1,082-8TDs as a Senior...50/785/6 season before, ladies and gentlemen please join me in welcoming Tahj Washignton to the Miami Dolphins, 4th round grade, 7th round pick
Southern Cal...transfer portal which several of the Phins selections were and this guy named Caleb was the QB at USC last year.
Tahj might not make the team but Miami brought in some nice depth
Should be a very entertaining training camp now with Berrios/Cracraft already slotted 3/4, that could change and EzE or whatever might not make the roster.

Yeah I guess I'm talking myself into liking parts of this Draft.
If Paul were to advance enough to compete inside at RG immediately, that would change this Draft a lot.
Chop is going to play a lot early in the season and even as Chubb and Phillips work their way back, they aren't likely to be overused in '24. Miami will want to rotate that heavily
So it's likely Chop is on the field all season, I have no doubt he moves ahead of a fading Shaq Barrett quickly.

We traded next year's 3rd so we could slide into the 4th and grab a RB, Wright is going to see the field, Mostert might see his share peeled back significantly.

Last edited:

Miami Dolphins Undrafted Free Agents​

• QB – Gavin Hardison, UTEP
  • WR – Je’Quan Burton, FAU
  • TE- Hayden Rucci, Wisconsin
  • OT – Andrew Meyer, UTEP (unconfirmed)
  • OT – Bayron Matos, USF
  • OG – Matthew Jones, Ohio State
  • EDGE – Grayson Murphy, UCLA
  • DT – Leonard Payne, Colorado
  • CB – Mikey Victor, Alabama State
  • CB – Storm Duck, Louisville
  • DB – Isaiah Johnson, Syracuse
  • S – Mark Perry, TCU

Many of these guys don't even crack the Top 300 but Grayson Murphy is a decent find, he was a Top 200 level prospect, transfer portal, last 2 years at UCLA...

Last edited:

MoP likes these 2 picks, 4th and 5th round? No problem since most late round picks won't make it.
I like those picks and 5th rounder Mo Kamara, who will compete for a job as 3rd down sack specialist. He's short, 6'1", will be 25 next month, a 5th year grad student senior. He has speed & strength and has lots of pass rush moves - maybe he can help Chop. 13.5 & 8 sacks the last 2 years. Lots of tackkes for loss in the run game. A chip on his shoulder too:

>>I’m excited, but I’m very angry going the round I did. The lovely team of Miami picked me up and I’m going to give them that burning desire. All 31 other teams, look out.

The way I’m about to play against these guys, you should have picked me before. I’m grateful for Miami for picking me up. I know what I’m going to bring to the field. Every other team has to see me. I’m going to roast the whole NFL; that’s how I look at things.”

Everything people know me for, I use as fuel. If you want to call me short, watch out. If you didn’t believe in me, watch out. That’s the type of person I am, what keeps me going every day. I’m never going to be satisfied.”<<

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article287635070.html#storylink=cpy

Malik Washington Appreciation Post: PFF's #2 receiving grade after the other Malik, and just above MJH. A serious challenge to Barrios for the slot WR job. Only 5'8.5", but 191 lbs. Forty, 4.47, and 42.5 vertical! 19 reps on the bench, 2nd best at the combine. Great hands, seems to understand how to find soft spots in the zone. Only negative, height. Baby Deebo?

I thought a 3rd WR was actually a big need so like the pick there. Kamara another solid pick.

Little concerned that they are leaning into the speed/finesse aspect too much though. The lack of physicality and ability to beat press coverage is a real problem against the top defenses

I thought a 3rd WR was actually a big need so like the pick there. Kamara another solid pick.

Little concerned that they are leaning into the speed/finesse aspect too much though. The lack of physicality and ability to beat press coverage is a real problem against the top defenses
They could've chosen Johnny Wilson, selected next by the Eagles after we picked Malik, who beats coverage with his size and would've been our best blocker of all WRs. Malik is more polished as a receiver, great hands, decent at contested balls due to his elite vertical. He's compact, not sure how good he'll be with better corners in the slot at the NFL level. I think he's good at picking soft spots in the zone. As posted above, Malik was PFF's #2 rated WR after the other Malik and just before MHJ.

The biggest surprise of the draft is no help on the oline this year. Paul will sit until 2025. Aaron Brewer is an upgrade at C over Liam, especially as a run blocker, but isn't great at pass blocking. They had a chance to get a young guard who could develop as a guard or center, and compete with multiple players on the roster. Like Mahogany of BC or Limmer of Arkansas, who were much higher rated than their 6th rounder, S Patrick McMorris of CAL, and 7th rounder Tahj Washington. McMorris was unrated by almost everyone and would've been available in the 7th or as an UDFA. Tahj has good WR skills, good hands, settles into zones, elusive but will not break any tackles at 5'10" 174 lbs, he looks even skinnier. Malik had bad QB play and might be even better than on UV video, while Tahj benefited from Caleb extending plays.

They're betting on a big FA oline signing after June 1, supposedly Dalton Risner or Lucas Patrick.

The competition for #3, 4, 5 WR will be intense, Easy E, Cracraft, Barrios, Malik, Tahj, A Schwartz. Tahj has kick return experience. Ezukanma has been cleared to play and could our 3rd best WR based on his 2022 & 2023 preseasons, he's 6'2" 206 lbs. But there must be some doubt about his availability, given the talk with OBJ and drafted 2 slot WRs late.

They are also getting on a DT coming available too I guess.
Dolphins are not really afraid to trade for need, so if they find that some of these guys aren't solving their issues they may be looking hard at the waiver wire or trade depending. Interior D line is an issue, and I am unsure how they will deploy the second round tackle in this scheme (they may put him right next to Armstead at Guard, who knows)

They are also getting on a DT coming available too I guess.
Dolphins are not really afraid to trade for need, so if they find that some of these guys aren't solving their issues they may be looking hard at the waiver wire or trade depending. Interior D line is an issue, and I am unsure how they will deploy the second round tackle in this scheme (they may put him right next to Armstead at Guard, who knows)
Yes. Grier is very adept at trading for someone that Ross wants to pay top of market for. Probably his best trait as GM.

Just pointing out they still need more bodies there.

Storm Duck ?
From the Raleigh News and Observer back in 2019 when he was a freshman. BTW, he had a decent freshman season, then had injuries the next two years. Grier is betting on his athleticism, a 9.53 RAS score.

>>Phyllis Duck loved soap operas. When she was in her 20’s, one of her favorites was ‘The Bold and the Beautiful.’

One of the show’s main characters was Storm Logan. Duck said she was fascinated by the name.

“I said if ‘I ever have a son, I’m going to name him Storm,’” Phyllis Duck recalled in a recent interview.

About 13 years later, she was married and pregnant with her second child. And it was a boy. She told her husband, Todd, her plan.

Todd Duck said he wasn’t immediately on board.

“Why don’t we name him Chandler Storm Duck?” he asked her.

Nope, Storm Chandler Duck,” she replied. “I like the name, Storm.”

And so, when her son was born on Dec. 15, 2000, they named him Storm Chandler Duck.<<

From another source:

>>Storm has a sister named Tempest, who's named after actress Tempestt Bledsoe from "The Cosby Show," per the Charlotte newspaper.<<

-This I agree with 100%, I wouldn't assume they are completely done molding the 2024 team.
And I do think the late additions at the skill positions was wise.
Mostert has been blessed to extend his career here, a couple more of these seasons and they might have to put him up in the ring of honor.
I'm assuming this is Mostert's last year and we will see a lot more Achane and Wright throughout the season, save some gas in the tank with Mostert for Nov/Dec when weather changes.
I do not feel that Berrios and Cracraft were a liability in the slot but I sure don't mind the addition of Malik and Tahj when you have an OC for a HC

Draft Grades from a variety of sites...
Bleacher Report: C
ProFootballFocus: B-
Columbia Broadcast: B-
NatFootballLeague: B-
YahooYahooYahoo: B+
FoxFoxFoxFoxFox: A-
RingerRingerRinger: B+
SharpFootball: A

All over the place how different folks feel about their work this past weekend...I like Day 3 a lot more than I liked the first couple of nights.

Time feels like now for Miami. Bill’s seemingly took a few steps back, Jet’s are the Jet’s (hate to say that but it has been proven to be true). What truly is in the way of Miami to take this division this year (barring major injury scenarios)?

@Todem
-Have you looked at the schedule yet? I know the announcement of dates and times is next month in May but...let's set the division rivals aside for a second

Home
Arizona, Jacksonville, Las Vegas...I understand all of those teams are improved, some at our expense but look at the starting QBs we face there.
San Fran and Tennessee, sure the Niners are a loss but at least the game is here and maybe it will be a 1:00 game if we're lucky.

Away
Cleveland, Green Bay, Houston...all Playoff teams sure but the Browns aren't that scary, Packers game is tough and I think Miami can compete with the Texans
Indy, LARams and Seattle...we better beat Richardson or I'll be disappointed. Rams are still working their way back and lost Aaron Donald to retirement.

And here's the names I don't see...Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Dallas, Cincinnati...teams with superior QBs and/or pretty loaded elsewhere.
It might be another year where we beat the easier teams and then get spanked early in the 1st round, could happen again with this schedule.

Yeah they could win 8-9 games if they get swept by the Bills and Jets but I don't see that happening right now.
The Bills did not get better in the off season, not by anything I've seen. The Jets will automatically be better if Rodgers is upright
I would expect them to go at least 3-3 in the division games and then they are going to be competitive in almost all of their other games outside of maybe 1 or 2.

We might have to rethink this a little

Last edited:

But anytime you add 4.35 speed at RB and then grab a WR that had 110/1,400/9Td...that's not a misprint and he accumulated that in just one season at Virginia?
Malik spent 4 years at Northwestern, enters the transfer portal and gets 1 more year to prove it at Virginia, what else could you want?

The dude is like 5-9, 200 lbs, thick frame and could actually be a potential weapon out of the backfield, he could be a lot more than a slot guy in this offense.
And Miami added more speed at RB, Jeff Wilson and Ahmed are fighting for a roster spot at this point. Also Mostert is closer to 35 than 25, he's the Miami starting RB
This was a good spot to spend a 4th, cheap investment for the next few years, I like the pick.

You're not going to replace Wilkins or Hunt in the 4th, 5th, 6th round, great spot to invest in skill position guys that will have to be very good in order to leap frog or get snaps.

There are times where I like what Miami does, I just dislike their 21 and 55 picks...but I'm trying to warm up to Chop
I was surprised you had anything good to say! ha!

Seriously though that is some value MIA got with Wright and Washington. Mostert is old and while I like him his body can't hold up long term. Wright and Achane can hold down the fort long term. I also hope Brooks gets some run this year. Tons of talent but plays a different style. Almost feel he might be a better fit on a team like the Chargers or BAL.

As for Washington he's a very smart guy. Got his degree and then transferred to start his graduate program while also playing football and exceling at both. "In the classroom, Washington posted a 4.0 GPA working towards his graduate degree in higher education after transferring from Northwestern. He was voted a first-team Academic All-American by the College Sports Communicators. As an undergrad at Northwestern, he finished with a 3.73 GPA and was listed on the Academic All-Big Ten team three times. He was named a 2021-22 Big Ten Distinguished Scholar." Had good measurables including a 42" vertical and 19 reps on bench. Guy is built while still managing a 4.47 - 40.

I'm really pulling for Washington and was a great value in the 6th round - I think MIA is a good fit for a guy like him.

I was surprised you had anything good to say! ha!

Seriously though that is some value MIA got with Wright and Washington. Mostert is old and while I like him his body can't hold up long term. Wright and Achane can hold down the fort long term. I also hope Brooks gets some run this year. Tons of talent but plays a different style. Almost feel he might be a better fit on a team like the Chargers or BAL.

As for Washington he's a very smart guy. Got his degree and then transferred to start his graduate program while also playing football and exceling at both. "In the classroom, Washington posted a 4.0 GPA working towards his graduate degree in higher education after transferring from Northwestern. He was voted a first-team Academic All-American by the College Sports Communicators. As an undergrad at Northwestern, he finished with a 3.73 GPA and was listed on the Academic All-Big Ten team three times. He was named a 2021-22 Big Ten Distinguished Scholar." Had good measurables including a 42" vertical and 19 reps on bench. Guy is built while still managing a 4.47 - 40.

I'm really pulling for Washington and was a great value in the 6th round - I think MIA is a good fit for a guy like him.
Top 100 prospect or very close to it
Would seem like he has a very high football IQ and that might allow him to use Hill and Waddle to find holes underneath, that's an area we have not exploited.

Thaj Washington was drafted in the 7th round for a reason, Miami didn't want to try and fight getting him as UDFA
I think we see him on special teams to start and I don't know if he ever makes the team as a true WR but he was a favorite target of Caleb Williams
I think both WRs will easily make the roster

5th round edge rusher Mo Kamara, who will be 25 in May, a 5th year senior, might be our best pass rusher. He was also dominating in college when he was younger. Undersized at 6'1", let's see how he does vs bigger and better NFL linemen. Elite 40, 10, and broad jump, great motor, good repertoire of moves. Was a spy at times vs Sanders' son.

Thaj Washington was drafted in the 7th round for a reason, Miami didn't want to try and fight getting him as UDFA
I think we see him on special teams to start and I don't know if he ever makes the team as a true WR but he was a favorite target of Caleb Williams
I think both WRs will easily make the roster
Malik reduces the need to sign OBJ or another older pricey WR. So we can spend funds on one of the FA guards like Risner.

Kid is a big time nerd doing the commentating but the information is good and all I care about
The games vs Iowa and Michigan, Chop made several good impact plays on defense, those are the better teams.
Might have been misused a bit at Penn State, too much hand down in the dirt vs standing upright, could have something to with him needing work on run defense
Head up, he might be able to diagnose the play quicker.

"Disruptive" seems to be his calling card, Joe Rose on the local radio said there isn't a lot of sack numbers to back it all up
I think Weaver will know how to use him, unfortunately the DC for Miami stay 1 season and are usually done here.

Same kid doing the breakdown on film but I think we need to take Kamara seriously making this team
Phillips-Chubb, injuries to both so we might not see them for at least September and perhaps longer. I'd rather they heal and get close to 100% before we see them.
Chop-Kamara, both rookies could see significant snaps early in the year
Miami has Shaq as well early in the season, think we will see less and less of Shaq as the season wears on, that's a good thing.
Miami also has an UDFA Grayson Murphy from UCLA that should be fun to see in camp.
That's the look of where Miami is at on Edge rushers post draft.

Miami still has big questions along the DL and didn't do anything to solve that in the draft.

Last edited:

Of course I like his analysis on Malik Washington
Seems like he is going to be a slot guy all the way.
Not sure how often Hill or Waddle rotate into the slot
I heard someone talking about the WR sets MIA uses and most of the time they run 2 WRs (Waddle and Hill). Maybe this year they will use more 3 WR sets but this could also just be depth and a longer term play once Hill is gone. There were also times where they would pull Waddle for a larger WR in past years to block on running plays.

I really like the addition of Washington but it might not be fantasy relevant in year one right out of the gates. I do think he has the ability to eventually climb to being WR3 on the depth chart but he does have some work to do.

Users who are viewing this thread