What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (4 Viewers)

So... here is the question... do we take a look at one of the second tier QB's with our 2nd?

No.

Rattler in rd 3, maybe, IF they like him. Otherwise Joe Milton rd 5, 6, 7+. Rest of them are jaggy AF, with the upside to be the next Minchew, at least on paper.

Cost for a Penix or McCarthy was Bowers + multiple other premium picks. Raiders passed, so we move on with the reality of AOC and Minch show in 2024.

So... here is the question... do we take a look at one of the second tier QB's with our 2nd?

No.

Rattler in rd 3, maybe, IF they like him. Otherwise Joe Milton rd 5, 6, 7+. Rest of them are jaggy AF, with the upside to be the next Minchew, at least on paper.

Cost for a Penix or McCarthy was Bowers + multiple other premium picks. Raiders passed, so we move on with the reality of AOC and Minch show in 2024.
Michael Pratt is a guy I could see in round 4.

'Twas a busy night but after some contemplation, the one player available I continue to feel may have been more of a BPA was Fuaga. That said, while elite OT is a superbly premium position, arguably right behind QB, that is less true for RT (for righty QBs).

And if we are talking standard RT then, is that position more premium than elite receiving TE? I don't know/think so. An elite playmaking TE is a true unicorn, in both fantasy and real football. If Brock is that, even if Fuaga is an uber-stud RT for the Saints, BB is worth more. If either becomes a stud and the other doesn't, then the Raiders should have taken the stud. But if they both become studs... Elite receiving TE is the more premium/rare position; and it doesn't hurt at all that Brock is also known to be a very good blocker as well, when needed and called.

Fugg it, let's go. Now get some value OL, CB and RB next few rds, and then round off with Cannon Joe Milton late!

Watch Bowers highlights if you haven't yet. Super-sized slot WR (6'3" 235 lbs) with elite burst, quickness, hands and a clutch, tough mofo to boot. Dude looks more explosive with the ball in his hands than the vast majority of NFL RBs. Perhaps he is not Travis Kelce. But he is definitely not Michael Mayer. MM will be blocking in line most times forward, while BB is terrorizing DBs.

Never thought bowers would be the pick. Really didn’t see him dropping to the raiders. I was all in on OL but now we wait and see. Hope they sign van rotten tomorrow. If only for depth.

Never thought bowers would be the pick.

I did. I said a couple months ago that whoever took him would have me as an instant fan. He is my favorite player in this draft. If I did a big board, he's first, before Caleb, before Harrison. I've been visiting this thread, the Chargers and Bears threads cuz a thought they were the most likely to take him. So congrats on the steal of the draft and thanks a ton. I was starting to worry I might be a Colts fan.

Not in Rd 2, but there are several uber explosive RBs I'd like to see the Raiders target for a mid and/or round pick...

Mid: Wright, Benson, Estime
Late: Vidal, Guerendo

Four of these five have rec'd hype already. Check out Vidal's burst and power at 5'8' 220... https://youtu.be/G_lpVYif3QE?si=8VNTeb4J01ffWhcw ... This is a 5-6th round pick?

Vidal has a bit of hype on the nerd circuit. Waldman loves him. I think he's RB6 in this class and could go in the 3rd to some team that gets it. He's also amazing in pass protection.

There are plenty of OL we could draft at 44 I'd be happy with, but the one I think I want most is Kingsley Suamataia. Extremely athletic OT and could end up at RT or LT. Won't throw anyone out of the club like Fuaga but that's not a necessity to be a good OT, just don't let anyone kill your QB and you have my vote.

Getting Cooper DeJean in any fashion would work for me as well. He's a king sized Honey Badger and Graham could plug him in all over the field. I think there might be health concerns and that's why he's still here, not sure how his knee checked out after a late season ACL, but long term shouldn't be an issue and drafting is more for 2025-2028 than 2024.

CB is still loaded and I wouldn't hate a trade-up to land DeJean or McKinstry. Maybe BUF is still giving out draft position for free and we can jump on that train. Sitting tight could yield Rakestraw or Lassiter.

Wildcard pick would be Edgerrin Cooper. Deablo and Spillane are both UFA next year and while I'd prefer to bring them back if cheap, Cooper would leave them both in the dust watching the pile as Cooper gets there first all day long. Draft Cooper, play Deable, let him walk for a comp pick, plug Cooper in in 2025.

The one thing I don't want at 44 is a QB. Too big a reach for Rattler or Pratt. I like both, but reaching in the 2nd is such a waste. Neither looks to be clearly better than AOC so we may as well ride the bargain train with AOC and shoot for the moon in 2025 if not. If we wanna spin the wheel in the 4th then fine but day 2 picks are for building a foundation. AOC nearly took us to the playoffs last year with no proper pre-season preparation and Minshew nearly did the same plugging in for Indy, let's put some tools in the toolbox for those guys first.

Watch Bowers highlights if you haven't yet. Super-sized slot WR (6'3" 235 lbs) with elite burst, quickness, hands and a clutch, tough mofo to boot. Dude looks more explosive with the ball in his hands than the vast majority of NFL RBs. Perhaps he is not Travis Kelce. But he is definitely not Michael Mayer. MM will be blocking in line most times forward, while BB is terrorizing DBs.
I agree with all except you crapping on Mayer. Bowers is on another level but Mayer isn't just a blocking TE. Everyone has to remember that TE is one of the hardest positions for rookies to come in and play in the NFL. I saw so many comments reacting to people being excited with the pick that were "that is what we daid about Mayer and he was a bust". That is no where near the case.

I like the pick. I didn't expect it but beyond Bowers himself, it shows that they are going to go BPA. The fact that we took a TE last year with a high pick and the position is clearly a much lower need than some other positions. Instead of filling need, they clearly took the top player on their draft board. For the first pick of the Telesco/AP and Co era, it tells me a lot and a lot of what it tells me is exciting.

I do believe that Bowers has the potential to be on the Gonzo/Gronk/Kelce/Kittles level of TE's. The only way I won't like this pick is if they don't find ways to get both Mayer and Bowers on the field at the same time... a lot.

find ways to get both Mayer and Bowers on the field at the same time... a lot.
That's what I really like about this, they are way different guys and this should be easy to do. We're going to very quickly find out if Getsy was the issue in CHI or the scapegoat. Mayer is the typical in-line TE think Jason Witten. Lined up next to the tackle, bull blocker in the run game, might even be held in to block on some pickup packages. Bowers will be in the slot, the the H, in the U, hell I'd make him our 3rd down RB. You wanna see a blitz pickup? How about I head fake, slide into the flat, and let the QB lob one up to me while my assignment is flailing around like a fish out of water?

Top 5 favorite Raider draft picks.

This guy hits, we have a 1 of 1. The only one in the NFL.
I also love offenses that run 12 personnel. Defenses run nickel to stop 3 WR. They don't run it to stop 2 TE.

After the Vikings drafted, my friends (bunch of Eagles f**kers) asked me what I wanted. I said in a dream world the Broncos took Nix, and Raiders take Bowers, but I thought it was gonna be an OT. The room went crazy when the Raiders took Bowers. :lol:

Anyone who has ever whinged about reaching and BPA and drafting for need, if they don't like the pick, has clearly been lying for years.

This hurts Mayer more than Bowers long term. That much I do know. However, neither will be start-able in fantasy for the foreseeable future given their QB situation, unless Bowers makes it impossible not to make him a major part of the offense, which is possible.

Do you disagree? You left off the part where I said " unless Bowers makes it impossible not to make him a major part of the offense, which is possible.". Perhaps I was editing my post.
I disagree with the stipulation. Our QB's should be just fine with any semblance of competence from the OC. AOC was borderline fine last year with getting thrown into the fire with zero pre-season prep, the HC/OC getting whacked, and a QB coach in way over his head calling plays. Minshew was perfectly solid last year getting the ball where it needed to go. We're not going to be an offensive juggernaut but there are 250+ catches left over after Adams and those will mostly be split amongst Meyers, Mayer, and Brock Party health permitting.

This hurts Mayer more than Bowers long term. That much I do know. However, neither will be start-able in fantasy for the foreseeable future given their QB situation, unless Bowers makes it impossible not to make him a major part of the offense, which is possible.
Fantasy wise, it is a hit to Mayer. This caps his fantasy production but real football wise, they, as a duo, can present real problems for defenses. Key in on Bowers? Ok, well, who you putting on Mayer. Now we are going to run it and both of these guys are like extra tackles- good luck! I don't think there is any team in the NFL who has the personnel to match up against that. If we don't do a good amount of damage, it will be because we are not using them correctly and/or some dang good schemes.

Top 5 favorite Raider draft picks.

This guy hits, we have a 1 of 1. The only one in the NFL.
I also love offenses that run 12 personnel. Defenses run nickel to stop 3 WR. They don't run it to stop 2 TE.

After the Vikings drafted, my friends (bunch of Eagles f**kers) asked me what I wanted. I said in a dream world the Broncos took Nix, and Raiders take Bowers, but I thought it was gonna be an OT. The room went crazy when the Raiders took Bowers. :lol:

Anyone who has ever whinged about reaching and BPA and drafting for need, if they don't like the pick, has clearly been lying for years.
I think it was you who was talking Bowers up way back in this thread , i didnt even know who he was , so i went and watched his highlights and was blown away .

He`s going to be fun to watch for sure . Line up Adams .... Meyers...Tucker...Bower and mayer....look at the Defense and say ''Stop us ''
People ragging on the QBs forget these 2 guys we have can win in the NFL , as they have both proven . I for one am excited about Brock .

Fantasy wise, it is a hit to Mayer. This caps his fantasy production but real football wise, they, as a duo, can present real problems for defenses. Key in on Bowers? Ok, well, who you putting on Mayer. Now we are going to run it and both of these guys are like extra tackles- good luck! I don't think there is any team in the NFL who has the personnel to match up against that. If we don't do a good amount of damage, it will be because we are not using them correctly and/or some dang good schemes.
Add in that AP has clearly stated that every job is up for grabs , you wanna start you gotta earn it. I see that making competition between Bowers and Mayer intense ,and each making the other that much better.

Do you disagree? You left off the part where I said " unless Bowers makes it impossible not to make him a major part of the offense, which is possible.". Perhaps I was editing my post
Oh no, I didn't mean, oh noooooo he's actually gonna be a fantasy stud in LV, I mean oh noooooo I don't care and the Brock Bowers thread is two doors down

I don't understand how Anthony Richardson was drafted top 5 last year and Joe Milton is being projected as a 5th rounder this year.

Final two years at Tennessee:

2022: Played in 9 games with 2 starts for the injured Hendon Hooker (53-82-64.6, 971 yards, 10 TDs passing; 18-77-4.3 rushing). Orange Bowl MVP (19-28, 251 yards, 3 TDs) in win over Clemson.
2023: Started 12 games (229-354-64.7, 2,813 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs passing; 78-299-3.8, 7 TDs rushing).

That's 37 Tds (30 passing) against 5 Ints (and 2 FL) last two years,

Along with this eye test... https://youtu.be/Mn-CkUDA4lM?si=AJkSQpY0DEdBmri4

Last edited:
I don't understand how Anthony Richardson was drafted top 5 last year and Joe Milton is being projected as a 5th rounder this year.

2022: Played in 9 games with 2 starts for the injured Hendon Hooker (53-82-64.6, 971 yards, 10 TDs passing; 18-77-4.3 rushing). Orange Bowl MVP (19-28, 251 yards, 3 TDs) in win over Clemson.
2023: Started 12 games (229-354-64.7, 2,813 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs passing; 78-299-3.8, 7 TDs rushing).

That's 40 Tds against 5 Ints (and 2 FL) last two years,

Because of that offense.

In terms of projecting him to the offense the Raiders run, it's like projecting a cricket player to MLB. :lol:

We should be doing cartwheels this morning. The Raiders didn’t reach, they actually did the opposite. They got a value pick. In 2026 when Bowers is being considered one of the best young TEs in the NFL; no one will care if he was a need at the time he was picked. All I can say is after watching some highlights, everyone needs one of those guys.

I’m not the biggest Nix guy, but it just annoys the **** outta me that he fell right in Denver’s lap.

That's 40 Tds against 5 Ints (and 2 FL) last two years,

Because of that offense.

In terms of projecting him to the offense the Raiders run, it's like projecting a cricket player to MLB. :lol:

Watch his highlight reel. Richardson-lite. At minimum, the Colts or Ravens should draft him well before rd 5.

This hurts Mayer more than Bowers long term. That much I do know. However, neither will be start-able in fantasy for the foreseeable future
Oh noooooooo
Do you disagree? You left off the part where I said " unless Bowers makes it impossible not to make him a major part of the offense, which is possible.". Perhaps I was editing my post.
We are raider fans in here. My raider FF players and their stats can wallow in misery if it means the actual team is doing well. We’ve been over this before in here with you. Yes this is a FF website/forum. But in this thread we are raider fans first.

We should be doing cartwheels this morning. The Raiders didn’t reach, they actually did the opposite. They got a value pick. In 2026 when Bowers is being considered one of the best young TEs in the NFL; no one will care if he was a need at the time he was picked. All I can say is after watching some highlights, everyone needs one of those guys.

I’m not the biggest Nix guy, but it just annoys the **** outta me that he fell right in Denver’s lap.
Right into Denvers lap? They reached. Let 'em.

This hurts Mayer more than Bowers long term. That much I do know. However, neither will be start-able in fantasy for the foreseeable future
Oh noooooooo
We are raider fans in here. My raider FF players and their stats can wallow in misery if it means the actual team is doing well. We’ve been over this before in here with you. Yes this is a FF website/forum. But in this thread we are raider fans first.
I think I have Mayer in two of my three dynasty leagues.... don't care.

Raiders pick 12th in rd 2. Here are the 12 best available from The Athletic... I am hoping they land one of the two C/G prospects, but wouldn't mind a bunch of these names...

*23. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon (6-3, 328)*
Powers-Johnson’s inexperience is reflected in his technique, but he offers a fantastic combination of size, athleticism and toughness, with the skill set that translates to both center and guard. His game reminds me of Ryan Kelly, who won the Rimington Award at Alabama before becoming a first-round pick in 2016.

27. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa (6-0, 202)
DeJean is one of the best tackling defensive backs in the class and shows playmaking skills in coverage, because of his athletic instincts and competitive makeup. Along with an immediate special-teams role (as a returner and gunner), his NFL starter-quality skill set fits interchangeably at cornerback, safety or nickel.

28. Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois (6-1, 304)
Newton’s undersized, compact frame will be a turnoff for some teams. But he is tough to block one-on-one, because of his gap quickness, natural power and nose for the ball. He projects as a dependable starting three-technique in the NFL.

30. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama (5-11, 196)
McKinstry doesn’t play with high-level speed or aggression, but he is a long, smooth athlete with the football IQ that should translate quickly to an NFL field. His game reminds me of James Bradberry’s, and he will compete for starting reps as a rookie.

31. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia (5-11, 186)
McConkey’s size and vulnerability to injuries aren’t ideal, but he is a sudden, skilled route runner and uses synchronized shake to tie defensive backs in knots. He is a quarterback-friendly target with the inside-outside versatility to be a quality No. 2 option for an NFL offense.

32. Marshawn Kneeland, Edge, Western Michigan (6-3, 267)
Kneeland is still taking classes in the art of the pass rush, but he is charged up into contact and displays twitch throughout his frame, which allows him to defeat blockers in different ways. He projects as a starting base end whose best football is yet to come.

33. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas (6-2, 205)
Mitchell needs to become a more detail-focused receiver to fully unlock his talent, but he has the body length, loose athleticism and catch-point skills to be a chain-moving weapon. He projects as a rangy, outside-the-numbers target with the lean, limber body type reminiscent of the late Chris Henry.

*34. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia (6-2, 315)*
Frazier might not boast elite athleticism or length, but he is good enough in those areas and will win over NFL teams with his core strength, football IQ, competitive toughness and understanding of leverage. He projects as a quality NFL starting center the moment he is drafted.

36. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan (6-2, 299)
Jenkins might never be a high-production interior player, but he is light on his feet and heavy with his hands with the “do my job” mentality that NFL defensive coordinators appreciate. He projects as an NFL starter as a one-gapping tackle on the interior or two-gapping strongside defensive end.

37. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State (6-3, 213)
Coleman must develop more nuance in his route running, but his big-man twitch, physicality and ball-winning adjustment skills allow him to be a difference maker. With continued refinement, he has the talent to be an NFL starter (similar in ways to Courtland Sutton).

38. Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State (6-3, 322)
Beebe doesn’t have ideal arm length that most teams desire, but he is stout, controlled and plays with power at contact. He will fit both gap and zone schemes in the NFL and projects as a high-floor starting guard.

39. Jaden Hicks, S, Washington State (6-1, 215)
Hicks is a rangy, intimidating presence, both downhill and on the back end, and he offers the multi-dimensional traits to develop into an NFL starter. He projects as a scheme-friendly safety who should also contribute immediately on special teams.

Now that we locked up the TE position as we were all expecting ;) I would love either of those 2 CBs listed above or the top remaining player on OL.

I think Bowers was an excellent pick for the Raiders. One of the best first round picks Telesco has made in his 12 drafts IMO. I'm not thrilled that the Chargers will have to face him at least twice per year for the foreseeable future.

Now that we locked up the TE position as we were all expecting ;) I would love either of those 2 CBs listed above or the top remaining player on OL.
Agreed. No wrs

I wouldn't mind a WR later due to the depth of this class, but not in Rd 2. If we remove the three WRs above from the top 12 remaining, here are the next three non-WRs on that list, plus some additional bonus OL and a sleeper CB that I think could start right away...

JPJ, Frazier, Suamataia, Melton are the four I would covet most in Rd 2 for the Raiders. Or a trade down to take Guard Christian Haynes later in the round.

*40. Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU (6-4, 326)*
Suamataia is still very young and lacks refinement in several areas, but his blend of size, mobility and core power are the foundation of a scheme-diverse NFL starter. He will require a patient coaching staff who can ease his transition to the pro level.

42. Junior Colson, LB, Michigan (6-2, 238)
Colson checks a lot of boxes for the next level with his physicality downhill, athleticism in space and iron-man toughness that he brings to work every day. He projects as an NFL starting MIKE early in his career and a more complete version of the Detroit Lions’ Derrick Barnes.

43. Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan (5-9, 182)
Sainristil has obvious size limitations that will remove him from some team’s draft boards, but other teams will be more than happy to bet on his outstanding toughness, instincts and ball skills. He will compete for immediate starting reps as a rookie nickel.

*47. Christian Haynes, G, UConn (6-2, 317)*
Haynes doesn’t always play up to his testing numbers, but his play strength, football IQ and finishing mentality make him equipped for battle against NFL fronts. He has the floor of a high-level backup but should compete for starting reps at guard during his rookie season (similar to Kevin Dotson).

56. Dominick Puni, G, Kansas (6-5, 313)
Puni will get himself in trouble bending at the waist or letting his pads rise, but he plays big, powerful and sends a harsh message with his hands while staying controlled through contact. He can play tackle, if needed, but projects best as an NFL starting guard or center.

59. Patrick Paul, OT, Houston (6-7, 331)
Paul has the size and length to keep defenders occupied, but his rhythm breaks down quickly, and opponents will find success until he improves his rudimentary recovery technique and hand usage. Similar in ways to Chukwuma Okorafor, he has the tools to develop into a functional NFL starter, but he might require a redshirt year.

*63. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers (5-11, 187)*
Melton brings explosive speed and attitude to his coverage, which will interest press-man teams. His experience inside and outside (and on special teams) will help him see the field right away in the NFL.

Caught a bit of Telesco conference in between clients calls...

He did talk about there "isn't a law that says they can't both be on the field at the same time" and continued pointing out Mayer split out wide at times at ND and Bowers was moved all over the place.

They should be creative with these guys... if not then Getsy just isn't creative.

I Am not worried about Denver and Nix. KC is still the team to beat in the AFC.

FWIW, the Hondo says league exec sources have told him AOC would be a 1st round pick this year based on what he showed last year as a rookie. Hmm...

ETA: not just a 1st rounder, but a top-ten pick. Whoa.

Last edited:
Mentioned in the draft thread but obviously super happy to land Bowers, although with everyone spewing on QBs before we could, we could have taken any of half a dozen players and not messed it up

No argument that Bowers is a great prospect. That said, this pick was a real head-scratcher. They used a 2nd rd pick LY on the position, so it really wasn't a need. I would have preferred Murphy at that pick because the Chiefs are now loaded with speed at WR and the best counter is a great pass rush. An offensive tackle was also a much bigger need, as most posters have previously stated prior to the draft. Or a CB.

It is the Raiders.

We now enter the rose-colored glasses phase of the season.

They used a 2nd rd pick LY on the position, so it really wasn't a need
PFF did a mock based on team needs. Before they started they stated, we know drafting based on needs is the worst possible approach.

I can quote all of the best personnel guys in the league talking about the importance of drafting the best player available. LV may have just drafted the best football player in the draft. Period.

No argument that Bowers is a great prospect. That said, this pick was a real head-scratcher. They used a 2nd rd pick LY on the position, so it really wasn't a need. I would have preferred Murphy at that pick because the Chiefs are now loaded with speed at WR and the best counter is a great pass rush. An offensive tackle was also a much bigger need, as most posters have previously stated prior to the draft. Or a CB.

It is the Raiders.

We now enter the rose-colored glasses phase of the season.
A wr? No way. OT and maybe CB would have made sense. But bowers is really highly rated. We’ll just have to wait and see. Dude just might be deebo light

FWIW, the Hondo says league exec sources have told him AOC would be a 1st round pick this year based on what he showed last year as a rookie. Hmm...

ETA: not just a 1st rounder, but a top-ten pick. Whoa.
I saw that... didn't bring it in here because I didn't want to hear the "yea, but he has concrete boots" circles again.

People tend to think that every rookie has to come in and perform as an pro bowler or they are a bust. Reality is that sure some guys come in and light it up.... others.... MOST.... need time to learn and develop.

Me personally, I don't think lack of mobility is an NFL job killer though everyone wants the sexiness of a guy who can run away if in trouble. How much did we see Manning (either) or Brady run? Almost never and when they did everyone would be amazed and laugh about it. I saw enough in the kid to be hopeful of continued future development. He is one heck of an accurate thrower which is a huge plus in this league.

Is he a franchise QB? I don't know.... but I also don't know that he isn't. You know who I knew wasn't a franchise QB from day 0? Jimmy "Linguine" Garoppolo. Replacing that waste of a roster spot with Minchew means we are already better off at QB than we were last year.

I Am not worried about Denver and Nix. KC is still the team to beat in the AFC.
Not happy they landed Worthy. Even if he can't get off the line.... Reid will figure out a way to get him loose and we all know what Mahomes can do with a burner.

Users who are viewing this thread