What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Carolina Panthers: Biggest Story from Draft Weekend: Hot Head Owner Visits Deli (2 Viewers)

When I watch Young, in my opinion, he just doesn't do anything above average. Most NFL QBs have strengths and weaknesses. Maybe they stand in the pocket great or have strong arm strength. His skill set just seems average across the board. Doesn't do anything really bad, but doesn't really do anything really well.

When I watch Young, in my opinion, he just doesn't do anything above average. Most NFL QBs have strengths and weaknesses. Maybe they stand in the pocket great or have strong arm strength. His skill set just seems average across the board. Doesn't do anything really bad, but doesn't really do anything really well.
I was never wowed by him at Alabama. That said, I would never have picked Brady or Purdy to excel so I'll defer to the guys who do this for a living.

Also Manning was 56.7%, for 6.5 average with 28 INTs his first year. Brady took 7 years to get to 65% completion percentage. I'm fine giving him 3 years to see what we have.

I was never wowed by him at Alabama. That said, I would never have picked Brady or Purdy to excel so I'll defer to the guys who do this for a living.

Also Manning was 56.7%, for 6.5 average with 28 INTs his first year. Brady took 7 years to get to 65% completion percentage. I'm fine giving him 3 years to see what we have.
At his draft capital your gonna give him 3 years. The leash is long here. Has a good storyline so heres hoping the light switch flips for him.

His above average skills are supposed to be accuracy and ability to read the game (football IQ). I think he is doing a much better job than in Week 1 in putting the ball in places where the defenders can't get to them. It is an open question whether that will be enough given his other limitations, but we've seen it work before if he can get to an outlier enough level there or a system is built around him.

The trait that sticks out the most to me is just how calm he is. He is just not rattled at all by his mistakes or the constant pressure.

Definitely not seeing enough to justify the #1 pick for now, but it is early.

His above average skills are supposed to be accuracy and ability to read the game (football IQ). I think he is doing a much better job than in Week 1 in putting the ball in places where the defenders can't get to them. It is an open question whether that will be enough given his other limitations, but we've seen it work before if he can get to an outlier enough level there or a system is built around him.

The trait that sticks out the most to me is just how calm he is. He is just not rattled at all by his mistakes or the constant pressure.

Definitely not seeing enough to justify the #1 pick for now, but it is early.
Good post.

Apparently they are going to transition to Thomas Brown as a play caller. Hopefully they figure out the awful clock management stuff.

3-11-1 his last 15 games a a head coach
0-6 start in Carolina
Has relieved himself of OC duties or calling plays

Does Reich have to win any games to get a 2nd season as Head Coach?
Houston, Indy and Chicago are the next 3 opponents for Carolina
What if he doesn't win one of those 3?

Guess we should have taken Stroud... :kicksrock:

I feel for Bryce and keep hearing all this talk about family and love in the locker room. It's not good enough. How did this team get so bad in such little time? There are no impact players on offense. Defense held a poor Colts team to less than 200 yds and this game should have been a win.

I feel for Bryce and keep hearing all this talk about family and love in the locker room. It's not good enough. How did this team get so bad in such little time? There are no impact players on offense. Defense held a poor Colts team to less than 200 yds and this game should have been a win.
He can be the smartest and still not succeed. I really liked him in college... But he is now facing a whole different breed of DL every week and the Chicago trade looks worse and worse compared to Houston's move at #2 & #3.
I hope the Panthers get him the tools to succeed, since they failed miserably so far.

I wanted CJ Stroud at 1.01 all along, but my voice fell on deaf ears.

He can be the smartest and still not succeed. I really liked him in college... But he is now facing a whole different breed of DL every week and the Chicago trade looks worse and worse compared to Houston's move at #2 & #3.
I hope the Panthers get him the tools to succeed, since they failed miserably so far.

I wanted CJ Stroud at 1.01 all along, but my voice fell on deaf ears.
I was torn on those two and would be happy either way they chose. Of course hindsight, it looks like Stroud was the pick. Time will tell though. And Stroud may have struggled with this offense too and they'd be calling him a bust.

Decisions Fitterer has made have really gone sour... or was it Tepper? The trades involving Darnold were a disaster too. And didn't Fitterer turn down two first rounders for Burns? And they may not even re-sign him. Terrible. We have a QB on a rookie salary for a few years and because of botched moves, we have no cap space or draft picks to find better talent to surround Young?

I'd be for letting Dalton take the reigns for the second half of the season and try to squeeze out a few more wins, if for nothing else, just to keep the bears from having the top pick... to try and keep salt out of that wound.

We should have just let Dalton QB this year, keep the 9th pick and drafted Jalen Carter, then picked a top QB next April.

Maybe Tepper should go after John Lynch this off season. Then get out of the way and let him build the team.

Decisions Fitterer has made have really gone sour... or was it Tepper? The trades involving Darnold were a disaster too. And didn't Fitterer turn down two first rounders for Burns? And they may not even re-sign him. Terrible. We have a QB on a rookie salary for a few years and because of botched moves, we have no cap space or draft picks to find better talent to surround Young?
Absolutely agree... turning that down was a poor "Pride or Ego" decision ... The capital they lost in moving up would have been erased in 1 move if they completed this deal. If they don't resign Burns it would look worse than just rejecting the trade. I can only believe this was a Tepper Ego move.

Maybe Tepper should go after John Lynch this off season. Then get out of the way and let him build the team.
Now that would be a move in the right direction. Watch, Panthers will get Tom Brady for the GM role.... :ROFLMAO:

How did this team get so bad in such little time?
They gave up McCaffery and Moore. I'm not sure what was expected when they did that, but it wasn't wise. They've doubled down and given up picks in the next two drafts for Young behind a busted *** line.....we should be shocked if they were GOOD.

Maybe Tepper should go after John Lynch this off season.

He won't be available for a while.

The 49ers gave John Lynch a new title as part of the multiyear contract extension the team announced in September, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports.

Lynch now doubles as president of football operations.

He retains all of his General Manager duties and heads the organization’s personnel department.

The offense can't run the ball and the Oline can't pass protect. There are no impact players at any skill position except an aging Thielen who is a good possession receiver but can't stretch the defense. Young is constantly pressured from a 4 man front, then they bring a blitz and he is smothered.

One good pass down the field, otherwise it's dink and dunk the entire game. Or he manages to escape the pocket and run for a few yards.

Why would they let Foreman go but then sign Miles Sanders to a 4 year $25M contract? $13M guaranteed. Foreman signed for $3M with the bears. Sanders is invisible on the field and Foreman is scoring TDs.

If they can't beat the bears and a 4th string rookie QB, I don't see another win on the schedule.

1-16

I actually went out to that Cowboys infested game today. Defense played really well in spots, but kept making penalties to extend drives (some questionable ones). Young doesn't look good at all right now, not sure they should have him out there. He's under near constant pressure.

I actually went out to that Cowboys infested game today. Defense played really well in spots, but kept making penalties to extend drives (some questionable ones). Young doesn't look good at all right now, not sure they should have him out there. He's under near constant pressure.
He's constantly under pressure but even when he had a little time he was off target (a few times). His eyes appear to be on where the rush is coming instead of down field. He just looks overwhelmed right now. Keeping him out there can't be good for his confidence.

The defense did look good for much of the game. The score wasn't surprising in the end, but they were within 7 pts in the second half. Offense just can't put it together.

IMO, Young's start isn't too much different than Tua's first couple of years in Miami where he threw plenty of INTs and looked like he may be too small. Miami built the current offense around Tua's strengths. He got faster weapons and he doesn't spend as much time standing back in the pocket waiting for plays to develop. It's quick routes and quicker release times and he hasn't been sacked as much, or at least it seems that way. And he's been successful the last couple of years.

I heard the Panthers were looking at Alabama's playbook for some plays he's comfortable with, etc., to add. Seems like the wrong approach. I mean, if Reich's offense isn't good enough, what's the next step?

Maybe they should be looking at what Miami is doing with Tua instead. Pederson did something similar with Lawrence in Jax. Quick routes, quick releases. Tua's WR are a tier faster than Carolina's and can separate which is a problem in Carolina. That's just one of many problems, though. How patient will Tepper be?

He's constantly under pressure but even when he had a little time he was off target (a few times). His eyes appear to be on where the rush is coming instead of down field. He just looks overwhelmed right now. Keeping him out there can't be good for his confidence.

The defense did look good for much of the game. The score wasn't surprising in the end, but they were within 7 pts in the second half. Offense just can't put it together.
The bold is exactly what I've started to notice. The Dallas DL is one of the best in the NFL this is starting to damage him.

IMO, Young's start isn't too much different than Tua's first couple of years in Miami where he threw plenty of INTs and looked like he may be too small. Miami built the current offense around Tua's strengths. He got faster weapons and he doesn't spend as much time standing back in the pocket waiting for plays to develop. It's quick routes and quicker release times and he hasn't been sacked as much, or at least it seems that way. And he's been successful the last couple of years.

I heard the Panthers were looking at Alabama's playbook for some plays he's comfortable with, etc., to add. Seems like the wrong approach. I mean, if Reich's offense isn't good enough, what's the next step?

Maybe they should be looking at what Miami is doing with Tua instead. Pederson did something similar with Lawrence in Jax. Quick routes, quick releases. Tua's WR are a tier faster than Carolina's and can separate which is a problem in Carolina. That's just one of many problems, though. How patient will Tepper be?
It's a great comparison as they are similar players in a lot of ways. Ross is a very impatient owner as well, but one of the pluses is that he is always ready to throw real cash at players that was key to adding Tyreek.

Another piece of what McDaniel did for Tua is evident in this clip too.

Tepper is upset because they picked the QB he wanted and can't seem to make it work, Reich is feeling the heat, and the nightmare continues.

The hottest seat should be the one Fitter is sitting in. He's been firing blanks since his hire with moves that may handicap this franchise for years.

At least the defense is playing well.

Tepper is upset because they picked the QB he wanted and can't seem to make it work, Reich is feeling the heat, and the nightmare continues.

The hottest seat should be the one Fitter is sitting in. He's been firing blanks since his hire with moves that may handicap this franchise for years.

and into the fire today

What a trainwreck this has become. It was pretty obvious the org was off the tracks when they decided to sell the future the way they did. Chicago took Tepper and company for a ride. We see what happens to teams where the owners meddle. Just a disaster all around, but rather predictable. I wasn't a big fan of Jerry, but I REALLY didn't like Tepper even from the beginning.

Tepper is like an angry Dan Snyder. Not sure why any coach would want to step into this crap-fest of a situation right now. It's a hole that's going to take years to climb out of... and obviously the owner doesn't have patience enough to give anyone a fair chance.

Special teams coordinator Chris Tabor as interim HC... Why not Caldwell? Or Evero, he's done a nice job with the defense so far.

Where's Wilks? :lmao:

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2023 first-round pick (OT Darnell Wright)
  • 2023 second-round pick (CB Tyrique Stevens)
  • 2024 first-round pick (currently No. 1 overall pick)
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:
  • 2023 No. 1 pick (Bryce Young)

That's an all-timer. Franchise defining.

and into the fire today
Reich will be a good OC next year I’d think.

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:

Could have been Jalen Carter :oldunsure:

This should be the perfect landing spot for Ben Johnson as he’s a Carolina guy
Oof. I think he'd be too smart to go there. Terrible ownership. Toxic organization. Over-matched QB. No 1st round pick for two years? No, thanks, Dave.. I'll wait.
He’s gotta be in more demand than to take the panthers gig. Chargers maybe?
Exactly what I mean. That Panther's job is for a re-tread like Raheem Morris. Their DC is a rising star. I'm sure he's gone as soon as he gets an offer.

This should be the perfect landing spot for Ben Johnson as he’s a Carolina guy
Oof. I think he'd be too smart to go there. Terrible ownership. Toxic organization. Over-matched QB. No 1st round pick for two years? No, thanks, Dave.. I'll wait.
He’s gotta be in more demand than to take the panthers gig. Chargers maybe?
Exactly what I mean. That Panther's job is for a re-tread like Raheem Morris. Their DC is a rising star. I'm sure he's gone as soon as he gets an offer.
Belichick needs a new challenge. :stirspot:

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:

Was that's the price to move up from 9 to 1? The DJ Moore throw-in would've been a huge asset for Young, but I think was needed based on the draft value chart.

When SF traded with Miami for Lance going from 1.12 to 1.03 in 2021, Miami received a 2022 & 2023 1st and a 2022 3rd. But SF's future first round picks were expected to be mid to late 1st rounders, not top 5-10. Ditto for the CAR 2nd round picks.

OTOH, if CAR had drafted Stroud... They're only #13 in CAP space for 2024.

Special teams coordinator Chris Tabor as interim HC... Why not Caldwell? Or Evero, he's done a nice job with the defense so far.
Perhaps it is the same reason as he wouldn't keep Wilks? The Rooney Rule stuff is generally overblown IMO, but there is a pretty clear trend here. Caldwell has done the HC job decently before and Evero is going to start getting offers after what he is doing with this very injured defense.

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:

This is the latest of the trifecta of oof decisions from the Panthers GM.

He also traded a 2nd, 4th and a 6th round pick for Sam Darnold. good grief

And traded the best RB in the league to SF for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a 5th round pick. Not too terrible until you realize he flipped the 2nd rounder in the Bears haul, and sent the 3rd and 4th round picks to move up and draft DJ Johnson (oof).

So essentially Fitterer traded DJ Moore, Christian McCaffrey, the #9 pick overall along with the other picks to the bears, including the probable #1 overall pick next year, for Sam Darnold and DJ Johnson.

Now that's some high quality wheelin' and dealin' there. Yet he still has a job in Charlotte. Maybe he'll trade B. Young to a team that can develop him for a sack of waffle batter.

While I get the sentiment that Tepper is impatient and firing coaches a lot, I think both Rhule and Reich deserved to be fired even earlier. The problem is that he is terrible at hiring the right coaches.

An arguably bigger problem (with both franchises) is that the GMs/scouts have been allowed to stay.

Perhaps it is the same reason as he wouldn't keep Wilks? The Rooney Rule stuff is generally overblown IMO, but there is a pretty clear trend here. Caldwell has done the HC job decently before and Evero is going to start getting offers after what he is doing with this very injured defense.
I'm sure Evero is going to greener pastures as soon as he can.

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:

I'm gonna take the position that Carolina may still win (or at least not lose) that deal. As bad as Young has played, Eli, Alex Smith, and Goff were all MUCH worse as rookies. I think Stroud's unprecedented success is coloring people's expectations for a rookie QB a bit.

As a Bears fan, I'll say Stevenson is a #3 CB talent, and Wright is a solid RT (which was probably a reach in the top-10) so the real important parts are the 2024 1st, which could result in the Bears making a similar trade next spring, and DJ Moore, who is a very good, though not elite WR.

If Young becomes Jared Goff or Alex Smith, do the Panthers hate this trade? If he becomes Eli they certainly don't. I guess I still think its possible this deal was a win-win is all. I do think Caleb Williams is a better prospect than Young was, but I don't think its reasonable to think when trading a future 1st round pick that its gonna be #1 overall.

I wonder if Tepper is going to do another press conference about the firing like last year. Maybe he can make more claims like about being responsible for bringing live music to Charlotte.

While I get the sentiment that Tepper is impatient and firing coaches a lot, I think both Rhule and Reich deserved to be fired even earlier. The problem is that he is terrible at hiring the right coaches.

An arguably bigger problem (with both franchises) is that the GMs/scouts have been allowed to stay.
He never should have hired Reich. Many on this board said so at the time.
I wasn’t one of them. :bag:

Was that's the price to move up from 9 to 1? The DJ Moore throw-in would've been a huge asset for Young, but I think was needed based on the draft value chart.
Probably so. But you only make those moves when you can afford them.

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:

I'm gonna take the position that Carolina may still win (or at least not lose) that deal. As bad as Young has played, Eli, Alex Smith, and Goff were all MUCH worse as rookies. I think Stroud's unprecedented success is coloring people's expectations for a rookie QB a bit.

As a Bears fan, I'll say Stevenson is a #3 CB talent, and Wright is a solid RT (which was probably a reach in the top-10) so the real important parts are the 2024 1st, which could result in the Bears making a similar trade next spring, and DJ Moore, who is a very good, though not elite WR.

If Young becomes Jared Goff or Alex Smith, do the Panthers hate this trade? If he becomes Eli they certainly don't. I guess I still think its possible this deal was a win-win is all. I do think Caleb Williams is a better prospect than Young was, but I don't think its reasonable to think when trading a future 1st round pick that its gonna be #1 overall.
If "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts... Every day would be Christmas.

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:

If "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts... Every day would be Christmas.
Agreed, just saying if we closed the book on guys 10 games into their careers, a lot of HOFers would have been missed out on. Not saying Young will be that obviously (maybe he ends up going down the David Carr route?) but he was a consensus top-2 pick, and its very possible (likely?) that this is just a blip and a better HC/supporting cast makes us all forget this season, ala Trevor Lawrence.

He never should have hired Reich. Many on this board said so at the time.
I wasn’t one of them. :bag:
I wanted Wilks but thought Reich was at least a sound decision.

At least he didn't wait longer. There is nothing good coming out of the way this team is losing games outside of some defensive players they didn't want to pay really balling out. Bryce Young has started to regress.

Users who are viewing this thread