What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Buffalo Bills (2 Viewers)

To be fair the guy who fumbled fumbled AGAIN and was just lucky it bounced up and hit his hands in stride. He’s likely still in the doghouse
Both fumbles came on really good opportunistic plays by the defense. That happens. You don’t bench one of your best playmakers for that. Allen threw 2 picks and fumbled himself. You benching him? Davis let the ball go through his hands on that pick. You benching him too? There are certain guys that have been prone to fumbling due to poor technique. Cook isn’t one of those guys. But hey, team with all that talent is 5-5 cause McDumbass knows best.

McDermott is definitely coaching for his job now. 12 men on the field is inexcusable. It would have been bad enough to lose to Denver if the kicker had simply made his kick against 11 men. But to give them a do over after a miss is mind boggling.

If they don't make the playoffs, I would fire him. If they do make the playoffs, they have to win at least one playoff game, or I would fire him.

Agreed. The 12-men was inexcusable because both teams knew the FG attempt was coming for several plays. They should have made sure that everyone knew who was supposed to be on the field.

To be fair the guy who fumbled fumbled AGAIN and was just lucky it bounced up and hit his hands in stride. He’s likely still in the doghouse
Both fumbles came on really good opportunistic plays by the defense. That happens. You don’t bench one of your best playmakers for that. Allen threw 2 picks and fumbled himself. You benching him? Davis let the ball go through his hands on that pick. You benching him too? There are certain guys that have been prone to fumbling due to poor technique. Cook isn’t one of those guys. But hey, team with all that talent is 5-5 cause McDumbass knows best.
You're comparing Allen to Cook? Or, comparing a QB throwing a pick to an RB fumbling?

RBs get benched all the time. And, when you aren't elite, and your backup comes in and runs for 9 YPC, you are going to ride the pine a little longer than if the backup is not producing.

The Bills have been a sloppy and underwhelming team for much of the season. I had high hopes for them, but they just don’t look right. The coaching has been sloppy, Allen seems to have regressed into a turnover machine, and the defense seems to have devolved. I’d love to see them somehow turn things around—but they are just not playing in a manner that would make anybody super confident in them.

Too little too late. This should not keep McDermott off the hot seat. IMO, Dorsey was not very good, but I do think that McDermott also shares some responsibility as I believe he absolutely meddled in what he wanted from the offense.

The Bills have been a sloppy and underwhelming team for much of the season. I had high hopes for them, but they just don’t look right. The coaching has been sloppy, Allen seems to have regressed into a turnover machine, and the defense seems to have devolved. I’d love to see them somehow turn things around—but they are just not playing in a manner that would make anybody super confident in them.
Hard to blame the defense when they lost Matt Milano, Tre White, DaQuan Jones, Rousseau is playing through a foot injury, Micah Hyde was out, Christian Benford was out.

That’s both starting CBs out, starting FS out, starting OLB out, starting DT out, starting DE playing gimpy. Honestly, they haven’t been great, but they’ve done more than could realistically be expected of them with as many injuries as they’ve had.

One of the worst coached teams in all of football. The lack of use of Cook all season for a 33 year old stiff, benching Cook for his 1st fumble all year when Allen turns the ball over 3 times a game for 2 years, not using Kincaid in the first half of the season, I can go on and on.

I was trying to think of who might be able to fill in for Dorsey, and wondering if a lack of a replacement might save his job.

Joe Brady has a couple years of experience with Carolina. They weren't the most productive offense, but maybe with much more talent he could do a good job.
Let’s hope Brady can turn this around.

couldn't be more disappointed by my "second" team. just flat out awful this season. the potential is off the charts...

didn't think id be focusing more on what CLE might do at this point of the season than the bills... but here we are

I was trying to think of who might be able to fill in for Dorsey, and wondering if a lack of a replacement might save his job.

Joe Brady has a couple years of experience with Carolina. They weren't the most productive offense, but maybe with much more talent he could do a good job.
Let’s hope Brady can turn this around.
Is there anything in Brady’s history that should make us think that’s possible?

Kincaid and Davis BOTH with more targets than WR1 Diggs? That ain't right. Sounds like something ATL would do.
Some teams are consistently bracketing Diggs and Dorsey isn’t a good enough coordinator to scheme him open.

What I saw was Diggs wide open on a crosser and watched the target go to/thru Kincaid (or maybe it was Davis) and into the waiting hands of a DEN DB.

Can't happen. Gotta feed the diva... every chance you get.

One of the worst coached teams in all of football. The lack of use of Cook all season for a 33 year old stiff, benching Cook for his 1st fumble all year when Allen turns the ball over 3 times a game for 2 years, not using Kincaid in the first half of the season, I can go on and on.

Somebody going into the furnace today for having 12 men on the field while having 3 consecutive downs of kneel-downs to count to 11.

Somebody going into the furnace today for having 12 men on the field while having 3 consecutive downs of kneel-downs to count to 11.
The offensive coordinator lol

You're comparing Allen to Cook? Or, comparing a QB throwing a pick to an RB fumbling?

RBs get benched all the time. And, when you aren't elite, and your backup comes in and runs for 9 YPC, you are going to ride the pine a little longer than if the backup is not producing.
He’s not elite yet he’s averaging 5.1 YPC (good for 4th among RBs), and 2nd among RBs with 100+ attempts). And if you believe in PFF, 8th best rated among RBs with 100+ carries. But yeah, a 34 year old Murray that couldn’t get past a DE on a screen pass in the flat last night is the answer. Lol.

Cook fumbled his 1st ever carry in the NFL. Since then he didnt have a fumble until 1st play of game last night. HE got benched a whole quarter for that meanwhile, their QB leads the NFL in turnovers and throws at least one HORRIBLE hero ball INT a game and there is no accountability whatsoever there.

Bad coaching 101

McDermott is 67-40 as Head Coach
1st yr 9-7 then went 6-10

10, 13, 11, 13 wins the last 4 seasons and you all want to fire McD?
I think he might not even make the parking lot before he would be scooped up.
2 AFC Championship appearances, is that right?

4 seasons in a row with double digit wins, Mike McDaniel hasn't done it once yet.

10, 13, 11, 13 wins the last 4 seasons and you all want to fire McD?
Not the sane ones. Just the ones who forgot what a nightmare we lived through for 20 years rolling out a new HC every year or two.
I almost posted, "Didn't you all suffer thru 2 decades?"
But you answered my question

-I think the injuries sustained on defense would destroy a lot of teams.
Something does need to change on offense, they just don't look as explosive as they did early in the season
They had 3-4 game run where they ripped everyone including Miami.

Something does need to change on offense, they just don't look as explosive as they did early in the season
That sums it up perfectly, IMO.

Unless McDermott was meddling with the offense (I don't believe he was) Dorsey should have been let go sooner. I still believe Diggs' blow up last year was because of Dorsey.

What percent of the offensive problems do you all think are on Josh Allen?
I say 30% Allen, 60% coaching and 10% “other”

The main problems as I see it.

- crappy passing schemes - then Allen makes poor decisions in those bad schemes. Change the plays and make things easier.

- Allen doesn’t take off anymore. I assume this has been instructed to him. Lots of examples all year where drives ended with an incompletion when a run gave them a shot at a first down. His rushing also opens up the pass.

- Not playing under centre despite ALL of the data showing they are way better under centre. 4/4 with a TD last night.

The reason? “Allen prefers shotgun”. WTF?! Grow some balls coach and TELL your player what the team is going to do.

As a non Bills fan, but Kincaid owner, I hope a new scheme doesn't alter the targets he is getting. Keep him at 8 targets a game but maybe look for ways to get him open down field more. Ha ha

I'm glad that Dorsey is gone. That change needed to be made, and it seems pointless to wait until the end of the season.

We know that we're going to have a decent amount of roster turnover over the course of the next couple of seasons. That makes this offseason an opportune time to make a HC change if ownership thinks that McDermott has taken this team as far as he can. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I think it's pretty obvious that Allen needs a coach who is willing and able to get in his face and provide some hard coaching. Daboll wasn't averse to that, but Dorsey seems to be. So I guess that's on Allen, in the sense that he needs a little more direction that we'd ideally like.

Other than that, it's kind of hard to see how any of this is Allen's "fault." The reason why there's a sense of urgency around this team is because we only have so many years of Prime Josh Allen.

I mean, you think this team would be more promising with a replacement-level QB under center?

Unless McDermott was meddling with the offense (I don't believe he was) Dorsey should have been let go sooner. I still believe Diggs' blow up last year was because of Dorsey.
I think Diggs' blow up was a combo of Dorsey and Allen. Allen had started to make mistakes forcing the ball into coverage. So the coaches (probably including both Dorsey and McDermott) told him to stop doing that and take the progressions as designed in the play. So Diggs would make some kind of crazy move to get open, and Allen wasn't looking at him, because he wasn't the first or second read. And Diggs didn't get the ball and the Bills lost badly.

I don't think it's fair to call Diggs a Diva, at least not as bad of one as many wide outs. If the Bills win and he doesn't get a target, I don't think that upsets him. But if the Bills lose and he's not getting a target, then he flies off the handle.

Honestly, pretty close to 0%. Not saying he's perfect, no player is, but he's easily one of the NFL's best players. I would however say at least 75% of the success is on him. He and Diggs have carried this offense all season, and it blows my mind that people think Allen is the problem in any way. Even the turnovers aren't really his fault or that bad. He's had some of the worst luck I've seen this year, where his WRs keep tipping catchable balls to the defense. Of his 11 INT's, I'd say 5 are Allen's fault. Bills offense in general has had awful luck, they've fumbled 8 times and lost 7 of them (Cook's dribble last night being the exception) league average is roughly 50%.

Replace Josh Allen with a league average starter, and change nothing else, and this team is picking in the top-3. Defensive injuries have hurt a ton, the time of possession has been mind blowing these last few weeks, as the defense simply can't get off the field.

The play calling has been generally uncreative, and some of the usage of certain players (Cook is the obvious one, but I'd throw Shakir in there too) has been less than ideal. Will firijg Dorsey help? Maybe/maybe not.

@minakimes
Bills offense thru week 10:

3rd in DVOA
1st in success rate
3rd in EPA/play
4th in QBR
3rd in yds/play
2nd in 3rd down conversion %
3rd in red zone efficiency

Scapegoat Dorsey

Honestly, pretty close to 0%. Not saying he's perfect, no player is, but he's easily one of the NFL's best players. I would however say at least 75% of the success is on him. He and Diggs have carried this offense all season, and it blows my mind that people think Allen is the problem in any way. Even the turnovers aren't really his fault or that bad. He's had some of the worst luck I've seen this year, where his WRs keep tipping catchable balls to the defense. Of his 11 INT's, I'd say 5 are Allen's fault. Bills offense in general has had awful luck, they've fumbled 8 times and lost 7 of them (Cook's dribble last night being the exception) league average is roughly 50%.

Replace Josh Allen with a league average starter, and change nothing else, and this team is picking in the top-3. Defensive injuries have hurt a ton, the time of possession has been mind blowing these last few weeks, as the defense simply can't get off the field.

The play calling has been generally uncreative, and some of the usage of certain players (Cook is the obvious one, but I'd throw Shakir in there too) has been less than ideal. Will firijg Dorsey help? Maybe/maybe not.
Disagree with a couple of these points. Allen has made some bad reads and bad throws. A decent portion of this is on him.
And no way would we be picking on the top 3. Without Allen we would just run more and the offense would do enough to help out the D that is more than holding its own despite all the injuries. This team is loaded with talent and it’s not just Josh.

@minakimes

3rd in DVOA
1st in success rate
3rd in EPA/play
4th in QBR
3rd in yds/play

Scapegoat Dorsey
10th in the AFC (5-5 record tied with the Raiders and the Colts).

One can point at stats all day but what matters are the Ws and Ls. The Bills simply were not producing on offense like they should have been.

I think Diggs' blow up was a combo of Dorsey and Allen. Allen had started to make mistakes forcing the ball into coverage. So the coaches (probably including both Dorsey and McDermott) told him to stop doing that and take the progressions as designed in the play. So Diggs would make some kind of crazy move to get open, and Allen wasn't looking at him, because he wasn't the first or second read. And Diggs didn't get the ball and the Bills lost badly.

I don't think it's fair to call Diggs a Diva, at least not as bad of one as many wide outs. If the Bills win and he doesn't get a target, I don't think that upsets him. But if the Bills lose and he's not getting a target, then he flies off the handle.
Terell Owens was like that in his time with the 49ers. He was called selfish but he never complained when they were winning about not getting the ball but frustrated when they lost and throwing the ball to inferior WRs. I get that.

One can point at stats all day but what matters are the Ws and Ls. The Bills simply were not producing on offense like they should have been.
Then fire everyone. it's everyone's job to win games. Maybe the guys who don't have stats that show they are doing a decent job.

Unless, of course, it was Dorsey's decision to drop passes, throw picks, and have too many men on the field.

@minakimes

3rd in DVOA
1st in success rate
3rd in EPA/play
4th in QBR
3rd in yds/play

Scapegoat Dorsey
10th in the AFC (5-5 record tied with the Raiders and the Colts).

Give some credit to defenses getting better. Scoring is down. Should Mahomes produce more than 19 and 9 points versus the Broncos? This is not the same DEN defense that gave up 70 points to Miami. And matchups matter. Dorsey is an easy scapegoat, maybe Allen and everyone play better, less unlucky TOs or better playcallying, but it's a logical move without downside since McDermott is coach of the defense. Firing the ST coach would also put people on notice

Head’s fall when things go wrong. People love to place the blame on one thing because it is convenient to just point a finger in one direction. Defense is not the same due to injuries. New pay caller struggled to find rhythm in the offense. So many times something was working and then they seemed to go away from it. Allen does not seem to have the same killer instinct. This may be to injury (my guess…something seems off with him) or just losing confidence (whether it with system or just with the compiling errors). Turnovers, some random and some in which could have been prevented. The little things add up to the big thing. Not too late for a turnaround as it is a team full of talent, but the offense will need to carry them this year. The pieces are there to to do it, maybe Dorsey leaving will be the springboard.

Terell Owens was like that in his time with the 49ers. He was called selfish but he never complained when they were winning about not getting the ball but frustrated when they lost and throwing the ball to inferior WRs. I get that.
Love me some TO

Users who are viewing this thread