What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

Ravens fan here - weather for Saturday pm is going to be cold rain with a good chance of turning to wet slushy snow during the game.

No way Left Tackle Ronnie Stanley, who is finally playing his way into shape after being hurt all season, plays on that kind of field. And I think Right Tackle Morgan Moses, who has similarly been banged up, will sit. In that scenario, no way you put Lamar out on that field, vs this pass rush with a JV O Line. Right Guard Kevin Zeitler sat out last week too, don't know why you'd rush him back.

On D, starting CB Marlon Humphrey got knocked out of the Miami game, starting CB Brandon Stephens and S Kyle Hamilton didn't even suit up. So they sit this week too, along with Patrick Queen and probably Roquan Smith. I know Harbaugh laments being rusty after the 2019 bye, but I think he's going to address the rust factor with how they practice, not in risking injuries to stars on a slop field in a meaningless game. He did say they'll be up front this week with what they decide and today is their first practice of the week, so maybe he'll reveal something this afternoon. My experience is that Harbaugh isn't up front about anything and actually lies a lot, so we'll see.

Have to give some credit to Tomlin for the Ravens' success this season. As Patrick Peterson said, before the Steelers faced Baltimore in Week 5, Tomlin told the team "When it's a dying moment, they will try to burn the house down." And sure enough, when the pressure was highest in that game, the Ravens went with Cover Zero and an all-out blitz that Pickens beat for the win. In the past he's said the Ravens don't like to play four quarters. I think the Ravens' coaches took that to heart and the team has played much tougher, and more conservatively on defense, ever since. Instead of going for a knockout punch that could leave them vulnerable, Baltimore has been embracing and winning the 60-minute game.

Hoping for no injuries on Saturday - maybe there will be a Steelers-Ravens rematch in the Divisional Round if Pittsburgh can get in, then pull an upset vs Miami in the Wild Card round. That's the script I'm banking on, followed by Flacco's Browns coming into Baltimore for the AFC Championship. Good luck!
The Ravens will be our biggest test in the last 3 weeks, even with their backups in. They will be fighting with everything they got, plus some. I think it'll be a close game and I hope that against backups our running game can have success.

I would expect 1-2 deep shots early to try and keep the safeties honest, and if Roquan doesn't play our chances go way up.

Ravens fan here - weather for Saturday pm is going to be cold rain with a good chance of turning to wet slushy snow during the game.

No way Left Tackle Ronnie Stanley, who is finally playing his way into shape after being hurt all season, plays on that kind of field. And I think Right Tackle Morgan Moses, who has similarly been banged up, will sit. In that scenario, no way you put Lamar out on that field, vs this pass rush with a JV O Line. Right Guard Kevin Zeitler sat out last week too, don't know why you'd rush him back.

On D, starting CB Marlon Humphrey got knocked out of the Miami game, starting CB Brandon Stephens and S Kyle Hamilton didn't even suit up. So they sit this week too, along with Patrick Queen and probably Roquan Smith. I know Harbaugh laments being rusty after the 2019 bye, but I think he's going to address the rust factor with how they practice, not in risking injuries to stars on a slop field in a meaningless game. He did say they'll be up front this week with what they decide and today is their first practice of the week, so maybe he'll reveal something this afternoon. My experience is that Harbaugh isn't up front about anything and actually lies a lot, so we'll see.

Have to give some credit to Tomlin for the Ravens' success this season. As Patrick Peterson said, before the Steelers faced Baltimore in Week 5, Tomlin told the team "When it's a dying moment, they will try to burn the house down." And sure enough, when the pressure was highest in that game, the Ravens went with Cover Zero and an all-out blitz that Pickens beat for the win. In the past he's said the Ravens don't like to play four quarters. I think the Ravens' coaches took that to heart and the team has played much tougher, and more conservatively on defense, ever since. Instead of going for a knockout punch that could leave them vulnerable, Baltimore has been embracing and winning the 60-minute game.

Hoping for no injuries on Saturday - maybe there will be a Steelers-Ravens rematch in the Divisional Round if Pittsburgh can get in, then pull an upset vs Miami in the Wild Card round. That's the script I'm banking on, followed by Flacco's Browns coming into Baltimore for the AFC Championship. Good luck!
The Ravens will be our biggest test in the last 3 weeks, even with their backups in. They will be fighting with everything they got, plus some. I think it'll be a close game and I hope that against backups our running game can have success.

I would expect 1-2 deep shots early to try and keep the safeties honest, and if Roquan doesn't play our chances go way up.
Ravens Run D has been uncharacteristically bad this year. 13th in total yardage allowed but 22nd in yards per carry at 4.5 - both of those stats are skewed somewhat, as teams rush less because they're generally trailing Baltimore, and break off more yards per carry because with the lead the Ravens are protecting more against the pass. But vs both the Rams and SF when the game was very much up in the air, both teams had a lot of success, particularly going wide left where Odafe Oweh has struggled to set the edge.

Gunner won special teams player of the week for the NFC. He still has the dumbest play I've ever seen in the NFL toe tapping that kickoff...

I hope you are right about all of the Ravens being rested. Even if they do go this route it won't be an easy game for the Steelers. It would be cool to see three teams from the AFC North make the playoffs.

Amazing that Tomlin has kept this team in contention. All you haters are crazy.

I'm late to this party, and this is probably "hippling" the thread, but just a few posts up from yours is this from @Steelers4Life So it's not totally unreasonable to have Tomlin on the hotseat.

In only 4 of 17 seasons have the Steelers won a playoff game coached by Tomlin.

It's disappointing that the bar has been lowered this much.

I'm late to this party, and this is probably "hippling" the thread, but just a few posts up from yours is this from @Steelers4Life So it's not totally unreasonable to have Tomlin on the hotseat.

Are we still doing this?

There's plenty of teams that get new coaches frequently. Jets, Giants, Raiders to name a few. Maybe one of these teams woyld be a better fit for your rooting interests.

Are we still doing this?

There's plenty of teams that get new coaches frequently. Jets, Giants, Raiders to name a few. Maybe one of these teams woyld be a better fit for your rooting interests.
What is this even supposed to mean? Because some teams are have been worse than the Steelers over the last 17 years I have to be satisfied with the Steelers win totals? That's kind of dumb.

...It would be cool to see three teams from the AFC North make the playoffs.
Steelers are better than any of the AFC teams vying for the final seed, and I think would have the 'best chance' to advance to the divisional round. Baltimore would sit the first round; Cleveland would play on the road against the winner of the AFC S and has beaten every team in that division so they 'could' advance as well. Unlikely, but possible that 3 of the 4 AFC N teams could be playing in the divisional playoff week.
-----------
Cam pondering retirement.
LINK

Are we still doing this?

What is this even supposed to mean? Because some teams are have been worse than the Steelers over the last 17 years I have to be satisfied with the Steelers win totals? That's kind of dumb.

Collectively, all teams have been worse than the Steelers since 1970 and that is because we have only had 3 coaches in that time span.

This Steelers team was in a very bad place a few weeks ago and had they lost the last 6 games of the season it would have been hard to justify a contract extension. Now it is an almost certainty and I find it ironic that Tomlin may owe that to Mason Rudolph.

This Steelers team was in a very bad place a few weeks ago and had they lost the last 6 games of the season it would have been hard to justify a contract extension. Now it is an almost certainty and I find it ironic that Tomlin may owe that to Mason Rudolph.
The most ironic part of that is that it's Tomlin's fault Rudolph didn't start earlier, and if he had, the team would have been able to cash in on their lucky early wins and already would have a playoff spot locked up. Tomlin's ego and his tendency to lose games they should win every year is the reason they need help.

He was dissmissive of Rudolph during the entire 3 game losing streak no matter how bad Trubisky looked. Now he gets credit for putting him in after 3 straight bad losses that either cost the team the playoffs or at minimum their seeding within them?

I struggle to understand how that works. Where's the accountability?

Tomlin was obviously wrong when he was starting Trubisky though I am glad he was smart enough to stick with the hot hand after the supposed QB of the future became healthy.

That said I do think the Steelers defensive coaching staff should get some credit for the past 2 games. The level of talent at MLB and S is low but they have been able to play well enough to scrape out wins.

Last edited:
...It would be cool to see three teams from the AFC North make the playoffs.
Steelers are better than any of the AFC teams vying for the final seed, and I think would have the 'best chance' to advance to the divisional round. Baltimore would sit the first round; Cleveland would play on the road against the winner of the AFC S and has beaten every team in that division so they 'could' advance as well. Unlikely, but possible that 3 of the 4 AFC N teams could be playing in the divisional playoff week.
-----------
Cam pondering retirement.
LINK
Crazy but realistic to think the final 4 in the AFC could be 3 from the North and Buffalo (if Miami wins the division)

Keep in mind that over the years Steelers brought in guys Like Haskins, TooRisky and Pickett to leapfrog Mason. Mason was pretty much left for dead after he threw 4 INT against Cleveland and was replaced by Lainey Wilson's husband during the 2019 season. There were various reports that Mason was the best QB in camp this season. Steelers lose 2 consecutive games to 2-win Cards & Pats teams. While getting smashed by the Colts TooRisky throws his 2nd TD and Tomlin replaces him with Mason. Calls for Mason had been growing. Makes you wonder if Tomlin actually thought he'd spark the offense. Otherwise, he'd have played him sooner. Now you have the offense helping out the defense by chewing up the clock and trying to keep the Steeler's D off the field as much as possible as they get healthier.

Mason Rudolph’s journey from undesirable to undeniable

I'm really hoping the Steeler's win this weekend. Regardless of who plays for the Ravens you know their guys will play hard with hopes of ending the Steeler's season.

Tomlin was obviously wrong when he was starting Trubisky though I am glad he was smart enough to stick with the hot hand after the supposed QB of the future became healthy.

That said I do think the Steelers defensive coaching staff should get some credit for the past 2 games. The level of talent at MLB and S is low but they have been able to play well enough to scrape out wins.
I still think we need to upgrade at DC and that Austin is not the guy for the job. I get that we're down lots of ILBs and were missing safeties, but we got dominated by Cardinals and Patriots right after both teams had major issues scoring points. The last 2 weeks we have done better, but I think the scheme and play calling could be better. I know we're only rushing 4 play after play because they can't trust the back end so they want more help back there, but if we didn't have an all-world OLB I'm pretty sure the defense would be crumbling even more.

The defense did well against backup QB Jake Browning and against Seattle missing their Center and 2 OTs.

If we win against the Ravens, I'm 100% sure Tomlin will be back next season. He's done a great job of winning while missing some crucial players.

That said, he's also part of the reason we're in this hole right now. There are 4 main criticisms I have of the job he's done this season specifically:
  1. He kept Matt Canada. His scheme and play calling were never NFL caliber.
  2. He started Mitch Trubisky. Every report from camp was that Rudolph looked like the best QB. It's kind of hard to argue now that we've seen all 3 QBs on the field. As the head coach its your job to start the best players that can help you win (unless you're eliminated from playoff contention).
  3. He's done a poor job of in-game decisions. There were a few games where we were down multiple scores late and we punted the ball away, essentially giving up on the game.
  4. He was too slow in transitioning to rookies when they were clearly better. Joey Porter Jr., Benton, and Broderick should have been getting more playing time much earlier in the season. They have been miles better than the players they displaced.
Honestly, I'm still hopeful that Tomlin can keep learning and improve as a coach. The mic'd up moment from the last game saying be aggressive and go for it, I loved that! I want that coach all the time, fired up and going for the win instead of playing not-to-lose.

If he's back next year I just hope its with 2 new coordinators that Omar/Andy hired.

Also, sometimes it's just time for teams/coaches to move on. They might still be a great coach (Reid) but a change might be needed. 7-9, 9-7, 9-7, 5-11, 8-7, 6-10, 7-9; Chuck Noll's final 7 seasons with 0 times being 1st place in the division. Cowher's first season, 11-5, won the division. He went on to win the division 5 of the next 6 years. Chuck Noll was a hall of fame coach, but it was time to retire.

Can Tomlin turn things around, find a way to re-engage with all his players and improve the quality of coaching? Of course. Will he? Remains to be seen.

The most ironic part of that is that it's Tomlin's fault Rudolph didn't start earlier, and if he had, the team would have been able to cash in on their lucky early wins and already would have a playoff spot locked up. Tomlin's ego and his tendency to lose games they should win every year is the reason they need help.

He was dissmissive of Rudolph during the entire 3 game losing streak no matter how bad Trubisky looked. Now he gets credit for putting him in after 3 straight bad losses that either cost the team the playoffs or at minimum their seeding within them?

I think Rudy got no practice reps other than scout team since August. Tomlin/Canada made that decision back then. They gave Trubisky a big contract for a backup, so that just the way it is/was.

Accountability goes up to the top. Unfortunately, the Rooney choice to select KP despite not having a 1st round grade set back the franchise at least 2 seasons. Rooney forced Pickett on Tomlin. Canada as well. When your boss tells you to make it work despite your concerns, then that's what you do. Injury gave coach a window to show what they can do with the backups.

As for going from QB 2 to 3, I don't fault Tomlin for giving the highest paid backup 2 games to try and make it work before making the change to Rudy. Especially when the first start was on a short week. Mitch has been working hard and deserved a shot to show the Steelers he earned his position for next year (or not).

Pertaining to KP being forced on Tomlin, I'm definitely not going to dispute that statement without any facts on my part. Mitch was signed on a 2-year contract for 8 million a year prior to 2022 season. Mason was signed to a 3 million contract for 2022. It was obvious to me that the Steeler's were going to kick the tires on Mitch. With the hopes that he'd be their starting QB. Then hope that he turns his career around and the Steeler's have a starting QB on the cheap. If you look at Mitch's stats his TD to int ratio wasn't even good in Chicago. Plus, if the plan was to go with Mitch and Rooney forces Pickett on Tomlin by having him overdraft him. Then yes more blame needs to be on Rooney. Last number of drafts prior to 2023 weren't that good.

If the Steelers win a playoff game, then let's get Tomlin the help, he needs a better DC/OC and someone in the booth who can help him manage the time clock and challenges. If he needs better analytics, then get him a better process and more people. Some of the bad analysis on players can't be all of Mike's fault. Your OC/DC position coach's need to be accountable as well.

Are we still doing this?

Collectively, all teams have been worse than the Steelers since 1970 and that is because we have only had 3 coaches in that time span.
I like the stability and agree it contributed to the team's success. However, that doesn't mean Tomlin should be the coach forever, and I think it's reasonable to point out his recent lack of success in the playoffs.

Last edited:
please, someone stab a Steelers voodoo doll so that they don't make the postseason so tired of this team with the pathetic QB and WRs lack of defense, etc.

Considering OBJ has already been ruled out for the game it would be pretty stupid to lay any props on him.

So far four starters for the Ravens, including OBJ, have been declared out for this game and a couple more are questionable. It certainly helps the Steelers chances but I doubt the Ravens playing in the game are going to just roll over for a division rival.

A weakened team that they should beat is exactly they type of game we are used to seeing them blow out their backsides. Tempered hopes for tomorrow.

I keep seeing different scenarios out there. Can we confirm how we get in?

Steeler win AND Bill Lose

or

Steelers win AND Jags Lose/Tie

or

Steelers win AND Texans/Colts Tie

or

Steelers Lose AND Texans/Colts DONT Tie AND Jags lose AND Denver Wins

Is that it/right?

I just assumed that IF the Steelers made the playoffs they would be the 7th seeded teams but there are a few scenarios where they would be seeded 6th.

I keep seeing different scenarios out there. Can we confirm how we get in?

Steeler win AND Bill Lose

or

Steelers win AND Jags Lose/Tie

or

Steelers win AND Texans/Colts Tie

or

Steelers Lose AND Texans/Colts DONT Tie AND Jags lose AND Denver Wins

Is that it/right?
  1. Steelers win; Colts/Texans tie
  2. Steelers win; Buffalo loses to Miami
  3. Steelers win; Jags lose or tie
  4. Steelers tie; Colts/Texans don't tie; Jags lose
  5. Steelers lose; Colts/Texans don't tie; Jags lose; Broncos win

So they say Watt has Grade 3 MCL sprain but was trying to go back in but that means it was a complete tear and likely done for 6 weeks.....

Users who are viewing this thread