What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

It's the same game plan as for when KP was playing. They're still running the ball most of the time, very often on both 1st and 2nd downs. What's the difference, Mason has been making big throws down field when he gets the opportunity. KP instead is too timid to step up in the pocket to make a throw, nor is he willing to give his receivers a chance to make a play, or is just too slow in his processing to get them the ball.
Best example was that George Pickens catch in the second half. Pocket collapsing, and Rudy steps up and then just fires one deep that was basically all arm.

He isn’t an amazing qb or anything, but he is the best of these 3 right now. Despite KP’s preseason performance, Rudy was best qb all summer. Not sure why Canada hated him.

Trubisky got the starts because Rudy got no reps since August.

Local Pittsburgh radio speculates that KP was healthy enough to dress Vs Seattle but obviously didn’t.

The conclusion is KP either didn’t want to dress bc didn’t want to be the backup or obviously a decision in the organization was made not to dress.

All speculation but I buy into the “KP was healthy enough” thought.

I think if the Steelers win Saturday, they are in, with no other help, but if Miami beats Buffalo, they can be the 6-seed. If Buffalo wins, Pittsburgh is the 7-seed.

I could be totally wrong, but that is the way it looks.
No they still need help I believe. Easiest path is a win and either a Bills or Jags loss. Believe it or not they still have a slim shot even with a loss. I expect both the Bills and Jags to win unfortunately.
Yeah, after I sent that, I saw the ESPN predictor and saw they need Bills to lose mostly, but can get in with a Jags loss and I believe a Colts loss.

That said, I think Miami will beat Buffalo. Miami plays so different at home, and I am not sold on Buffalo the last 2 weeks.
If the Jags lose, they don’t even need a Colts loss. In that instance, the winner of the Colts/Texans game wins the division and we would have the better record than the Jags and the loser of the Texans/Colts game. No tiebreaker to worry about.
Burn it down remember!!!! Lol
It’s amazing. Living in Philly and watching the play of the Eagles right now I feel that the Steelers would beat them with Rudolph if they played today. I never would have thought that 3-4 weeks ago. The Steelers have established dominance in the running game and have competent QB play. The defense if ever healthy would be good enough for this team to be a top 4-5 AFC team. But alas that wasn’t in the cards this year.
I forgot we are twinsies...I too live in the area but I think root for the same teams lol Steelers and the other Philly teams

I’m sorry but the Ravens would be foolish to start any of their key players. They are far and away the best team in football and will only need to beat 2 teams to get to the dance.
I expect them to start for a half at least. Foolish to sit everyone and have the team go stale heading into the playoffs. They will be rested for 2 weeks as is awaiting the first round winners.

I think the Ravens would be foolish to play Lamar and some of their banged up secondary.

I’m sorry but the Ravens would be foolish to start any of their key players. They are far and away the best team in football and will only need to beat 2 teams to get to the dance.
I expect them to start for a half at least. Foolish to sit everyone and have the team go stale heading into the playoffs. They will be rested for 2 weeks as is awaiting the first round winners.

I think the Ravens would be foolish to play Lamar and some of their banged up secondary.
Some of the guys banged up starters I agree, but Lamar won't sit for 3 entire weeks if I'm guessing. Last time Harbaugh did that in 2019, the Titans came to town 2 weeks later and spanked them. He hasn't forgotten it.

Some of the guys banged up starters I agree, but Lamar won't sit for 3 entire weeks if I'm guessing. Last time Harbaugh did that in 2019, the Titans came to town 2 weeks later and spanked them. He hasn't forgotten it.

You might be right but if I’m Harbaugh I bench Lamar. No way I risk him getting hurt with the #1 seed locked up.

I think Ravens play their starters for at least a half too.. They be foolish to not play them and then have a bye, that is 2 weeks and that can be a disaster.

Wouldn't shock me if they played the whole game.

I think if the Steelers win Saturday, they are in, with no other help, but if Miami beats Buffalo, they can be the 6-seed. If Buffalo wins, Pittsburgh is the 7-seed.

No they still need help I believe. Easiest path is a win and either a Bills or Jags loss. Believe it or not they still have a slim shot even with a loss. I expect both the Bills and Jags to win unfortunately.
Yeah, after I sent that, I saw the ESPN predictor and saw they need Bills to lose mostly, but can get in with a Jags loss and I believe a Colts loss.

That said, I think Miami will beat Buffalo. Miami plays so different at home, and I am not sold on Buffalo the last 2 weeks.
If the Jags lose, they don’t even need a Colts loss. In that instance, the winner of the Colts/Texans game wins the division and we would have the better record than the Jags and the loser of the Texans/Colts game. No tiebreaker to worry about.
It’s amazing. Living in Philly and watching the play of the Eagles right now I feel that the Steelers would beat them with Rudolph if they played today. I never would have thought that 3-4 weeks ago. The Steelers have established dominance in the running game and have competent QB play. The defense if ever healthy would be good enough for this team to be a top 4-5 AFC team. But alas that wasn’t in the cards this year.
I forgot we are twinsies...I too live in the area but I think root for the same teams lol Steelers and the other Philly teams
I’m an all Pittsburgh sports fan. I don’t root for the Phillies or Flyers but I do want the Sixers to win.

There Is also a scenario I guess, if Steelers lose to Baltimore, and Houston/Indy don't tie, and Denver beats LV, and Tennessee beats Jacksonville, the Steelers get in.

I would have cut Pickens or at the very least benched him rest of the season. What does Tomlin do.... nothing. Apparently he's starting from what I hear.
This already aged poorly. Turns out having a QB able to throw past 5 yards down field cures a lot of woes.

All possible scenarios:
  1. Steelers win; Colts/Texans tie
  2. Steelers win; Buffalo loses to Miami
  3. Steelers win; Jags lose or tie
  4. Steelers tie; Colts/Texans don't tie; Jags lose
  5. Steelers lose; Colts/Texans don't tie; Jags lose; Broncos win
I don't think it's super likely because Miami hasn't been as good recently and the Titans looked horrible this week, but I'm still hopeful! Miami is playing for the chance to host a game instead of head into the playoffs on the road.

The most likely scenario based on this insane season:
  • Steelers win on last second Rudolph magic against backups (Watt sacks Lamar in the 1st so he gets pulled for safety)
    • Steelers Ravens game is the first game next week, so we'll know Saturday night what we need from the rest of the league
  • Jags beat the Titans in a blowout
  • Miami and Buffalo goes to the final seconds and Miami wins on a walk-off Tyreek Hill TD
Then, in the playoffs:
  1. Steelers destroy the Dolphins, 35 to 14. Kazee takes out Hill on the first snap and is ejected again.
  2. Steelers beat the Ravens after sacking Lamar 5+ times.
  3. Steelers beat Joe Flacco and the Browns in the AFC Championship as Nick Herbig has a Polamalu flying chop to cause a late fumble.
  4. Steelers face off with the Lions in the Super Bowl, everyone and their mother is rooting for the Lions. Steelers beat them 42 - 7 as Rudolph dismantles them. Pickens has 3 TDs and Warren has 2 TDs.

Or we win and the Jags and Buffalo both win and we're outside looking in again, but it's enough for Tomlin to keep his job and he hires Faulkner and Sullivan full time, no change at Defensive Coordinator, and we're a 9 or 10 win team again next year.

Lamar mentioned that he felt the reason they lost in the playoffs a few years ago was because they sat the starters in the final regular season game. I think he and the others play a few series.

I’m an all Pittsburgh sports fan. I don’t root for the Phillies or Flyers but I do want the Sixers to win.
Screw you then lol 😆

Add me to that list. Though I still hope the Pirates come around. I cheer pens in the playoffs but don’t follow hockey — yet can never root for the Flyers. I actively cheer for the Sixers, and generally want the Eagles and Phils to do well except when playing steelers and I guess pirates.

Or we win and the Jags and Buffalo both win and we're outside looking in again, but it's enough for Tomlin to keep his job and he hires Faulkner and Sullivan full time, no change at Defensive Coordinator, and we're a 9 or 10 win team again next year.

This is the most likely scenario.

Being reported Tomlin's already said it ain't gonna be Pickett next weekend: https://sports.yahoo.com/mason-rudo...to-leave-the-ball-in-his-hands-175827194.html

FWIW, I don't think there's any way in hell Harbaugh rests all of the Raven starters for the whole game. Will that mean anything? No idea. But I don't believe he's going to be "sending in the freshmen", at least. (Upon reflection, Huntley's the exact sort of guy that has taken Tomlin teams to the proverbial woodshed time and again, so benching Jackson fully may not even matter much).

Local Pittsburgh radio speculates that KP was healthy enough to dress Vs Seattle but obviously didn’t.

The conclusion is KP either didn’t want to dress bc didn’t want to be the backup or obviously a decision in the organization was made not to dress.

I'm really glad you brought this up. Yes, was listening as well. Early last week KP mentioned to the press that he wanted to play. Mason had already been mentioned as the starter. If KP didn't want to be the backup. Then that's a bigger story and to me knocks him down a bit as not being a team player and selfish. I'm hoping it's not true. Because in my mind his conduct is detrimental to the team and there should be consideration for suspension and/or fine. But then that's just my opinion and honestly KP is wearing thin on me. Anyways here's a link that may interest you.

I'm really glad you brought this up. Yes, was listening as well. Early last week KP mentioned to the press that he wanted to play. Mason had already been mentioned as the starter. If KP didn't want to be the backup. Then that's a bigger story and to me knocks him down a bit as not being a team player and selfish. I'm hoping it's not true. Because in my mind his conduct is detrimental to the team and there should be consideration for suspension and/or fine. But then that's just my opinion and honestly KP is wearing thin on me. Anyways here's a link that may interest you.
There are no consequences for conduct detrimental on the Steelers. That's an ongoing proven fact.

Mark Kaboly brought up a really good point.

KP didn’t dress because of his health yesterday but 12 hours later he’s fine and health is not an issue.

Its Madden. Unless Pickett was talking about suplexes(or food), I doubt Madden would even pay attention.

I take Madden’s tweet to mean he was told by a source that Pickett didn’t want to backup Mason. And that Madden wasn’t talking to KP directly.
Yeah. I get it, but I was making a "Mark Madden is fat/loves wrasslin'!" joke.

Add me to that list. Though I still hope the Pirates come around. I cheer pens in the playoffs but don’t follow hockey — yet can never root for the Flyers. I actively cheer for the Sixers, and generally want the Eagles and Phils to do well except when playing steelers and I guess pirates.
I'm all Philly minus the eaglets.....

I don't know if the KP story is true or not but Mark Madden is not a trusted source of information on the Steelers. Never has been, never will be.

He'll say anything to stir up a controversy, especially if it concerns the Steelers or Pirates.
Also, Madden has hated him since Pitt.

It was the right move by Tomlin to announce Rudolph as the starter. They have a shot to make the playoffs and he gives them the best chance to win. I have to think Baltimore won’t let their key starters go more than a half. Even if they play, I suspect it would be a vanilla game plan to minimize risk of injury. This is the type of game that Tomlin needs to show that his team is prepared for. Don’t hold anything back. Very, very winnable and put the pressure on Jax and Buffalo.

The KP injury really was great timing. My source told me that Tomlin wanted to bench KP instead of firing Canada. But Rooney intervened. Now instead of getting a half measure (whether Tomlin or Rooney's), we got to see Kenny do much of the same with the new OC, and Rudy come in and put up back to back 30s and playing clearly better in all aspects of the position.

Penix has injury concerns, but holy hell he has an arm on him. That football was on a rope last night and hit tight windows. I know that 1-2 of his WRs are probably going to be drafted high in the 2024 draft, but if he can repeat against the Wolverines I'd be tempted with a late 1st.

The KP injury really was great timing. My source told me that Tomlin wanted to bench KP instead of firing Canada. But Rooney intervened. Now instead of getting a half measure (whether Tomlin or Rooney's), we got to see Kenny do much of the same with the new OC, and Rudy come in and put up back to back 30s and playing clearly better in all aspects of the position.
Rudolph is still making mistakes, but it just shows what an OK QB can do with the offensive talent we have (pun intended).

Rudolph is still making mistakes, but it just shows what an OK QB can do with the offensive talent we have (pun intended).
I still don't get these type of posts.. Nobody is on here claiming Rudolph is Manning or Marino, but the two games he is coming off of, to nit pick a few mistakes he has made is pretty petty IMO.

Let us just enjoy, the best time we have had with a QB since what, 2021?

I still don't get these type of posts.. Nobody is on here claiming Rudolph is Manning or Marino, but the two games he is coming off of, to nit pick a few mistakes he has made is pretty petty IMO.

What upset you about his post? I don’t think he was condemning Rudolph in any way. Of course Rudolph is making some mistakes (which QB doesn’t) but he still gives this team the best chance to win right now. I think every Steelers fan on this planet realizes that. Fortunately so do the coaches.

Penix has injury concerns, but holy hell he has an arm on him. That football was on a rope last night and hit tight windows. I know that 1-2 of his WRs are probably going to be drafted high in the 2024 draft, but if he can repeat against the Wolverines I'd be tempted with a late 1st.
I’m always leery of high-pick QBs who’ve had high-pick WRs to throw to.

...I have to think Baltimore won’t let their key starters go more than a half. Even if they play, I suspect it would be a vanilla game plan to minimize risk of injury...
I was thinking the same thing and then I remembered Harbs and the Ravens preseason record where he seemed to go out of his way to win meaningless games and this is a Steeler/Raven game so I could see him 'trying' to win especially since he's wrapped up the bye week.

...I have to think Baltimore won’t let their key starters go more than a half. Even if they play, I suspect it would be a vanilla game plan to minimize risk of injury...
I was thinking the same thing and then I remembered Harbs and the Ravens preseason record where he seemed to go out of his way to win meaningless games and this is a Steeler/Raven game so I could see him 'trying' to win especially since he's wrapped up the bye week.
Yeah I’m just trying to make myself feel good about this Saturday. We don’t really know what Harbaugh is planning to do. Every coach has a different philosophy when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah I’m just trying to make myself feel good about this Saturday. We don’t really know what Harbaugh is planning to do. Every coach has a different philosophy when it comes to this sort of thing.
I’m not concerned with Baltimore plans. All about the Black n Gold.

Can the Steelers show up and play with as much effort as they did last week?

TJ Watt might not win defensive player of the year if the Steelers don’t make the playoffs.

Rudy Rudy Rudy.. I’m not ready for the season to end. Can he prove the Steelers offense can win games?

Will Mason Cole single handily lose another game with erratic shotgun snaps?

Put a few D starters back on the field and it works against most of the NFL

Disagree strongly. Seahawks are epically weak against the run. You should consider this game an outlier. I wouldn’t consider most of the NFL in any way similar to the Seattle defense.
Bummer, I didn’’t really look but assumed the Seattle D was decent and then at home with the crowd kind of thought we made some progress.

Minkah was a DNP yesterday. Early I know but it would be really nice to get him back this week. I don't think Elandon Roberts practiced either.

Put a few D starters back on the field and it works against most of the NFL

Disagree strongly. Seahawks are epically weak against the run. You should consider this game an outlier. I wouldn’t consider most of the NFL in any way similar to the Seattle defense.
Bummer, I didn’’t really look but assumed the Seattle D was decent and then at home with the crowd kind of thought we made some progress.
The Ravens have one of the best run defenses in the league, if we use the same game plan it will not be pretty. Hopefully we utilize the passing game to open things up.

Would love to host you all down here at Hard Rock and South Beach next week, think you might have a solid chance at knocking off the Ravens with 1-seed locked up
No reason for them to expose Lamar Jackson or anyone else they really care about in their starting 22.

-Jags need to beat the Titans, and then of course Miami has to be a motivated Bills team without most of our starting roster and not because we are resting them
Good Luck

I'm not sure what you read in my tone, but I wasn't ragging on Rudolph. I am thoroughly enjoying Rudolph's play compared with what we had, while just acknowledging that he's not a top 10 QB. My main point was that we don't seem to need an allstar at QB to be very successful.

Ravens fan here - weather for Saturday pm is going to be cold rain with a good chance of turning to wet slushy snow during the game.

No way Left Tackle Ronnie Stanley, who is finally playing his way into shape after being hurt all season, plays on that kind of field. And I think Right Tackle Morgan Moses, who has similarly been banged up, will sit. In that scenario, no way you put Lamar out on that field, vs this pass rush with a JV O Line. Right Guard Kevin Zeitler sat out last week too, don't know why you'd rush him back.

On D, starting CB Marlon Humphrey got knocked out of the Miami game, starting CB Brandon Stephens and S Kyle Hamilton didn't even suit up. So they sit this week too, along with Patrick Queen and probably Roquan Smith. I know Harbaugh laments being rusty after the 2019 bye, but I think he's going to address the rust factor with how they practice, not in risking injuries to stars on a slop field in a meaningless game. He did say they'll be up front this week with what they decide and today is their first practice of the week, so maybe he'll reveal something this afternoon. My experience is that Harbaugh isn't up front about anything and actually lies a lot, so we'll see.

Have to give some credit to Tomlin for the Ravens' success this season. As Patrick Peterson said, before the Steelers faced Baltimore in Week 5, Tomlin told the team "When it's a dying moment, they will try to burn the house down." And sure enough, when the pressure was highest in that game, the Ravens went with Cover Zero and an all-out blitz that Pickens beat for the win. In the past he's said the Ravens don't like to play four quarters. I think the Ravens' coaches took that to heart and the team has played much tougher, and more conservatively on defense, ever since. Instead of going for a knockout punch that could leave them vulnerable, Baltimore has been embracing and winning the 60-minute game.

Hoping for no injuries on Saturday - maybe there will be a Steelers-Ravens rematch in the Divisional Round if Pittsburgh can get in, then pull an upset vs Miami in the Wild Card round. That's the script I'm banking on, followed by Flacco's Browns coming into Baltimore for the AFC Championship. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread