What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

Nice to see Pickett attempt passes dowfield and use the area between the hashes. He was low on a few crosses, DJ bailed him out on one.

Warren needs more touches.

400+ yards and a win is nice. Winning by more than 6 against a Bengals team without Burrow, Higgins, and some defensive starters would have been too, but baby steps....
Well one td got taken off the board. First play of the game was a thing of beauty. Pickett actually had some zip on passes today too.

Nice to see Pickett attempt passes dowfield and use the area between the hashes. He was low on a few crosses, DJ bailed him out on one.

Warren needs more touches.

400+ yards and a win is nice. Winning by more than 6 against a Bengals team without Burrow, Higgins, and some defensive starters would have been too, but baby steps....
Well one td got taken off the board. First play of the game was a thing of beauty. Pickett actually had some zip on passes today too.

Yeah I thought he played very well. Lots of nice throws.

of course I was driving and missed almost all of the game today.
Worth watching unlike last weeks mess. The offense played much better than the 16 points show. Had a TD if Tomlin would have challenged the call early. Time of possession was fantastic. Steelers were the better team on both Defense and Offense.

Nice win, major improvement on offense but must keep in mind the defense they were playing.

Can anyone please tell me why there was no challenge on the Diontae Johnson TD pass?

Nice win, major improvement on offense but must keep in mind the defense they were playing.

Can anyone please tell me why there was no challenge on the Diontae Johnson TD pass?

I heard Charlie Batch on post game say the replay was not played on the Cinci Jumbotron (common by the home team) and the on the field and booth coaches can’t see the replay until the network plays it which is delayed and typically is too late at that point.

Take that with a grain of salt.

It's baffling, the plays he challenges and the ones he doesn't is a mystery.
I think emotions factor into it. It's silly but I feel like when the crowd gets angry with a call, Tomlin will throw that challenge flag. I know I'll get torched for this one lol.

I heard Charlie Batch on post game say the replay was not played on the Cinci Jumbotron (common by the home team) and the on the field and booth coaches can’t see the replay until the network plays it which is delayed and typically is too late at that point.

Take that with a grain of salt.

Tomlin alludes to that in the article I posted above.

So, Pittsburgh guys, is this a fluke with Friermuth or is he going to get targeted like this regularly with the new OC?

Full disclosure, I'm asking because I lost MAndrews and I traded for Muth since he was cheap to acquire.

So, Pittsburgh guys, is this a fluke with Friermuth or is he going to get targeted like this regularly with the new OC?

Full disclosure, I'm asking because I lost MAndrews and I traded for Muth since he was cheap to acquire.
Honestly none of us have a clue. This is all new to all of us right now.
It was also his second game back, first one he was probably fully healthy also

Steelers offense looked so much better yesterday. That said, KP still panics too soon. Too many times he bails from the pocket too soon. Need to get that fixed to have a chance against some of these better defenses.

Muth is worth a shot, but next week he could disappear. Its like anything we knew about the offense 10 days ago is gone now. If these 2 new guys can game plan and call plays like yesterday, the whole offense is back in play from a FF POV.

I think Muth is def with a roster spot.. Him and Pickett have good chemistry and Pickett seems pretty confident in him, and to top it off, Muth is a good catching TE.

I wouldn't expect 122 yards weekly, but he will def get his targets.

Anyone else get the Steelers super bowl bets in at 70-1?
Nah. That would be throwing money away despite the nice odds.
It's already down to 55-1!
Steelers playoff odds went up to 78%.
We are currently the 5th seed in the AFC 1-2 games ahead of most teams "in the hunt" and we are facing opponents who have not performed well so far this year. We face the Ravens to end the season and that game could decide the Division.
We have already beaten the Ravens once this year, and the other teams in the AFC haven't really been playing that great. The team with the best record in the NFL, the Eagles, keep barely scraping by against decent opponents.

Is it likely, no. Very much not likely. I think winning a playoff game is probably unlikely because of recent track record. But, it doesn't feel as impossible as it did for the last 10 weeks.

We play: Cards, Pats, Colts, Bengals, Seahawks, Ravens.
Ravens play: Rams, Jags, 49ers, Dolphins, Us.
Dolphins play: Commanders, Titans, Jets, Cowboys, Ravens, Bills
Chiefs play: Packers, Bills, Pats, Raiders, Bengals, Chargers
Jags play: Bengals, Browns, Ravens, Bucs, Panthers, Titans

The Jags or Chiefs have the easier schedules, but the Ravens and Dolphins might lose a few.

I do believe this team is going to the playoffs now and that’s a great feeling. For the first time all year, I feel hope for this team. Do I think they can go on the road in the playoffs and win against a top AFC team? Not very likely. But getting Pickett playoff experience is huge. Minkah will be back and that will be another huge spark for this club. The run game is very much alive and the defense is playing good enough right now. With decent play calling, dare I say this is actually a pretty good team?

I do believe this team is going to the playoffs now and that’s a great feeling. For the first time all year, I feel hope for this team. Do I think they can go on the road in the playoffs and win against a top AFC team? Not very likely. But getting Pickett playoff experience is huge. Minkah will be back and that will be another huge spark for this club. The run game is very much alive and the defense is playing good enough right now. With decent play calling, dare I say this is actually a pretty good team?

well that is what we thought pre-season. Maybe better play calling gets us there. A competent offense will help the D so much too.

I didn’t see the game yesterday. If that was Pickett’s ceiling, what level is he? Cousins?
That's what I believe most considered to be his upside to be when he was drafted. Made some nice throws, missed some too, especially on crossing routes. I was happier that he was finally willing to take the shots downfield and up the middle than I was with the specific results.

A team can win with Cousins as long as the OL, running game, and defense are all strong too.

Anyone else get the Steelers super bowl bets in at 70-1?
Nah. That would be throwing money away despite the nice odds.
It's already down to 55-1!
Steelers playoff odds went up to 78%.
We are currently the 5th seed in the AFC 1-2 games ahead of most teams "in the hunt" and we are facing opponents who have not performed well so far this year. We face the Ravens to end the season and that game could decide the Division.
We have already beaten the Ravens once this year, and the other teams in the AFC haven't really been playing that great. The team with the best record in the NFL, the Eagles, keep barely scraping by against decent opponents.

Is it likely, no. Very much not likely. I think winning a playoff game is probably unlikely because of recent track record. But, it doesn't feel as impossible as it did for the last 10 weeks.

We play: Cards, Pats, Colts, Bengals, Seahawks, Ravens.
Ravens play: Rams, Jags, 49ers, Dolphins, Us.
Dolphins play: Commanders, Titans, Jets, Cowboys, Ravens, Bills
Chiefs play: Packers, Bills, Pats, Raiders, Bengals, Chargers
Jags play: Bengals, Browns, Ravens, Bucs, Panthers, Titans

The Jags or Chiefs have the easier schedules, but the Ravens and Dolphins might lose a few.
AFC Championship is more realistic. Get through all the AFC and Eagles or 9ers is a bit much right now.

I didn’t see the game yesterday. If that was Pickett’s ceiling, what level is he? Cousins?
That's what I believe most considered to be his upside to be when he was drafted. Made some nice throws, missed some too, especially on crossing routes. I was happier that he was finally willing to take the shots downfield and up the middle than I was with the specific results.

A team can win with Cousins as long as the OL, running game, and defense are all strong too.
He looked much better yesterday. But definitely still missed some throws he should have made

Pickett certainly isn't any world beater but Dobbs has looked horrible 2 weeks in a row now. The Pickett pick was still bad IMO but the Steelers truly had no other backup plan at QB.

He looked much better yesterday. But definitely still missed some throws he should have made
It was pretty annoying to see the exact same mistake between him and Diontae that we saw against the Browns. That pass to the left side where Diontae came inside and Pickett threw outside.

I drink when I watch the Steelers too. :)

His ceiling is Derek Carr right now. Maybe Brock Purdy but I never see him getting to Cousins level. IMO he just does not process at that pace and is far less accurate.
I agree with this but once in a blue moon the light can go on and the game slow down for a QB that was mediocre in his first season or two. Not saying it will happen in Pickett's case but he looked markedly better last Sunday and should have had a TD if Tomlin reviewed it.

I drink when I watch the Steelers too. :)

His ceiling is Derek Carr right now. Maybe Brock Purdy but I never see him getting to Cousins level. IMO he just does not process at that pace and is far less accurate.
I agree with this but once in a blue moon the light can go on and the game slow down for a QB that was mediocre in his first season or two. Not saying it will happen in Pickett's case but he looked markedly better last Sunday and should have had a TD if Tomlin reviewed it.
I just want to see improvement from last year. So far, that hasn't been the case. Hopefully the arrow continues upward.

Nice road division win, but let's hold off on Super Bowl talk until we score more than 16 points with this shiny new offense :lol:
It’s jumping on a sports betting line before Vegas odds drop. To me, odds improving means more people believe the Steelers are getting better after Canada was fired.

So Steelers fans - what is your take on Diontae and him just standing around while there's a ball bouncing around on the field? I mean, besides being mad at him, any chance he:
A) gets punished and ignored
B) sees he needs to put in more effort and blossoms

It didn't seem like there was any in-game punishment for him.

So Steelers fans - what is your take on Diontae and him just standing around while there's a ball bouncing around on the field? I mean, besides being mad at him, any chance he:
A) gets punished and ignored
B) sees he needs to put in more effort and blossoms

It didn't seem like there was any in-game punishment for him.
Tomlin briefly addressed this today. Said Diontae has to move on from the emotions of the previous play, that he needs to answer for it and will get an opportunity to do that.

It's of course open to interpretation what Tomlin means when he says he'll get a chance to answer for it. I personally did not take it to mean he's getting benched, but more he'll get a chance to make plays and atone in that manner.

When he was drafted I was thinking Cousins if things went well, but most likely someone along the lines of Andy Dalton.
Spending a 1st round pick on Andy Dalton upside makes me sad. :sadbanana:
I got this Bengals friend and back when Dalton took them to the playoffs I told him that's the worst thing possible and he's now going to be subjected to years of mediocrity because they'll extend him. He thought I was just trying to give him a hard time, I was not.

So for me while I'm not down on spending that draft capital on someone with Dalton type upside, I'm even more concerned about what happens when it's time to extend him. I can live with a Dalton level type talent on a rookie deal.

Users who are viewing this thread