What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (5 Viewers)

watch. kenny returns to preseason form. team is going to go out there tonight and put up 4 TD and 500+ yards. turn the season around and make it to the AFC championship game and a shot at the ring. pipe dream, but would be glorious to see the offense play to win instead of try to not lose the game. offensive mindset has been to hope TJ can make enough plays to win the game for us. let's go 3 and out so Watt can get back out there and win it.

this may sound ludicrous, honestly feel like that's the biggest problem for the past few years. players have bought into coach T's mentality of the offense role as a game manager. it's OK to punt. it's OK to be OK. you are inferior to our defense. be conservative. offense doesn't believe they can outshine the defense. i want to see the offense play to win the game instead of hope to be close enough in the 4th quarter to throw on a superman cape for a drive.

watch. kenny returns to preseason form. team is going to go out there tonight and put up 4 TD and 500+ yards. turn the season around and make it to the AFC championship game and a shot at the ring. pipe dream, but would be glorious to see the offense play to win instead of try to not lose the game. offensive mindset has been to hope TJ can make enough plays to win the game for us. let's go 3 and out so Watt can get back out there and win it.

this may sound ludicrous, honestly feel like that's the biggest problem for the past few years. players have bought into coach T's mentality of the offense role as a game manager. it's OK to punt. it's OK to be OK. you are inferior to our defense. be conservative. offense doesn't believe they can outshine the defense. i want to see the offense play to win the game instead of hope to be close enough in the 4th quarter to throw on a superman cape for a drive.
You're right, it does sound ludicrous

Steelers have never had over 400 yards in offense under the current OC. The OC is not being held accountable. It's almost as if he has compromising photos of Mike Tomlin and ownership. Any other team would have fired this clown show by now. Use measurements to hold your coaches accountable instead of wordsmithing interviews and being vague about why your offense doesn't stink.

I hope my post backfires on me, and the Steelers have over 350 yards in offense. I'd settle for that lol

Hearing some major drama behind the scenes the last couple of days. Cannot get into details -- but Tomlin isn't just sitting on his hands.
This his last game? We can only hope.

This was not voluntary . . . .

Hearing some major drama behind the scenes the last couple of days. Cannot get into details -- but Tomlin isn't just sitting on his hands.

He needs to be calling the game from his couch.

Does putting him on the sidelines move the needle in any way?

Does putting him on the sidelines move the needle in any way?

I think it gives Tomlin and the players more input. One phrase I heard was "accountability to the players" as part of this. There was some other drama yesterday apparently that unfortunately did not result in him quitting, but lead to this decision earlier today.

He needs to be calling the game from his couch.

Maybe he snaps at George Pickens today on camera in an unprofessional/emotional manner and gets himself fired and replaced by Sullivan with McDaniels as a consultant . . . .

Dan Moore Jr. is an overachiever. You can't help but like the guy. He's starting and only making a little over 1 million and he hasn't been complaining. I tend to agree with most if you're drafting a tackle in the 1st round tackle in most cases he should start. During the trade deadline there were rumors that Dan could be moved. I have to think that any line man for the Steelers would grade higher on another team. Jason Kelce lamented the loss of Isaac Seumalo. I thought the guy would come in and be the second coming of a bulldozer. Last year Isaac gave up on sack for the Eagles. I couldn't find any such stat for this year on sacks given. But granted Isaac has happy feet KP as his QB this year. I'm so so on Isaac he's been up and down like a yoyo. He hasn't been standing out.

Oh I'm loving the move of the OC to the sidelines. I'm so hoping that after a play near the sideline that a player unintentionally runs him over. I'll settle for a referee unintentionally running him over.

Last edited:
I’ve finally figured it out. Pickett’s the problem. Canada’s ****-show offense is designed to compensate for all of Pickett’s deficiencies. Pickett doesn’t have the consistency to hit receivers in stride, so the dink it side-to-side. It’s not sustainable. Pickett has to go. Need a new QB in 2024.

wow is Vrabel bad at clock mgmt, picking competent assistant coaches like the OC that last drive with 4.34 to go was pathetic, can you be more unimaginative??
god the Titans suck they're so painful to watch. why did he not call TO with 3mins to go, for 4th down but he let the clock roll all the way down for 4th and 7..wtf??? call timeout get your ducks in a row, get the right play called.
is he blind in one eye or something he always looks like burgess meredith in There's Time At Last the twilight zone episode with the coke-bottle bottom eyeglasses on. Can Vrabel see midfield?! he looks like a rabbit , like the best way to attach him is to walk right up to him because he cant see straight, can only can see the atlantic and pacific oceans at the same time.
A&P, his new nickname.

I think this team could realistically go 10-7 at this point. Not sure if that gets them in the playoffs but it’s definitely possible. Pickett is definitely not the answer long term but he does have a tendency to pull it together at the end of games. The secondary is a major issue without Minkah. Huge win!

I think this team could realistically go 10-7 at this point. Not sure if that gets them in the playoffs but it’s definitely possible. Pickett is definitely not the answer long term but he does have a tendency to pull it together at the end of games. The secondary is a major issue without Minkah. Huge win!
Very winnable games left at home vs Green Bay, Arizona, and New England.
In division, still go to Cleveland, to Cincinnati, and to Baltimore, and the home matchup vs Cincy.
And they go to Indy and to Seattle.

The 5-3 record is smoke and mirrors, but it sets up a 9 or 10 win season as very realistic.

I know that there are lots of stats put there like this, but this one struck me as crazy

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
Follow

At 5-3, the Steelers are the 34th team since 1933 – when rushing and receiving stats were first tracked – to be outgained in each of their first eight games of a season; they’re the only one of those who had a winning record, per
@JMcTigue85
. The Steelers are also the only team this season to be outgained in every game, and they’ve been outgained by -790 yards, 2nd worst to only the Broncos (-830).

I know that there are lots of stats put there like this, but this one struck me as crazy

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Follow

At 5-3, the Steelers are the 34th team since 1933 – when rushing and receiving stats were first tracked – to be outgained in each of their first eight games of a season; they’re the only one of those who had a winning record, per
@JMcTigue85
. The Steelers are also the only team this season to be outgained in every game, and they’ve been outgained by -790 yards, 2nd worst to only the Broncos (-830).

That is insane.

Honestly when the Steelers were down 16-13 with the ball in the 4th quarter, I was fully expecting them to drive down the field and take the lead. It would have been nice if they tried to end it on the following drive rather than going conservative but I get it. I did expect the defense to make the stop as well.

I feel a little bad for Canada actually. I think he’s so handcuffed with the deficiencies of this QB. I wonder if he would be more innovative with a good QB.

Pickett is one who will show flashes at times, but overall is not a long term answer even as a caretaker. The amount of wide open WRs he misses is inexcusable and not on coaching.

This D has a bend but don't break mentality that can't stop the best offenses out there, but can scrape out 9 or 10 wins with that schedule.

I feel a little bad for Canada actually. I think he’s so handcuffed with the deficiencies of this QB. I wonder if he would be more innovative with a good QB.
To your point, when Roethlisberger was there & they moved a couple guys we later learned that the Steelers had abandoned practicing their running plays. Ben didn't want anything to do with taking the snap from under center. Didn't want any part of turning his back to the defense, implementing misdirection, nothing. Defenses able to fully trust what they see & certain of the exact spot on the field the ball will be handed off I viewed as a self-inflicted disadvantage.

But that was then & while I can further agree that the QB play is still an issue, I haven't heard or read that Pickett is hampering the run scheme. The last time I watched them was vs the Raiders, who seemed to know exactly when Harris was getting the ball. So often the Raiders were clearly cheating up & Pittsburgh never made them pay. Not until the end, they did run the right plays late, just enough to win.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Follow

@JMcTigue85
Good coaching?

Users who are viewing this thread