What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

Harris/Warren, what is the expected share of touches here?
Did Harris just have a bad 2nd season?

The offensive line was terrible his rookie season and rushed for 1200 yards and almost 500 receiving yards and 17 TDs. The line was a bit better last year but he was injured and played with a steel plate in his shoe for the first 6 games of the season. He still put up close to 1300 total yards and 7 TDs.

He isn't a superstar but he'll still get the majority of carries and get a reasonable number of targets. Still, Warren is going to get his snaps too. Barring injury, if I had to guess I would put the split at 70-30, Harris. Tomlin likes a bell-cow

Anyone else still fingers crossed that Bosa holds out through week 1?
Yes I wouldn't mind that. I am sure he is in great shape but hopefully if he does report in time he'll be a little rusty.

Kittle also missed practice on Monday. Reportedly he was doing sprints on the sideline so it sounds like he will play but groin injuries can be a little tricky.

I bet on the Steelers to win week 1 as soon as the schedule was announced and I stand by it. Purdy might be the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, or he might be like the other players who have flashed when coming in as a replacement, only to then fade away.

I think this game is going to be indicative of our entire season. We either take care of business, or we're not quite ready for the big time. If Purdy is the real deal, the 49ers could very well be the Super Bowl Opponent.

Excited to watch this one in person. Feel like the D could be special this season. Hoping KP makes me eat a big plate of crow for doubting him.

I'm a tangent Steelers fan (my son is a superfan).

I think they have a great shot at 11 wins and a playoff spot. Lots trending up from a decent team last year. They are not Super Bowl caliber yet, but I believe they take a step forward.

TJ Watt's health is the biggest key for their success.

There is really nothing to be positive about after this afternoon. They were so much worse in ever facet of the game than I could have imagined. Put this one behind us and move on to a huge divisional rival matchup next week. Pickett better play a lot better or this team is toast for quite some time.

Didn't get to watch yet, only saw box scores.

Assume today's O was a lot more of the same "Need 6, throw it negative 2 and hope someone pops" type refuse that Straw Hat is renowned for? Or was the SF defense just blowing up the OL?

I bet on the Steelers to win week 1 as soon as the schedule was announced and I stand by it. Purdy might be the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, or he might be like the other players who have flashed when coming in as a replacement, only to then fade away.

I think this game is going to be indicative of our entire season. We either take care of business, or we're not quite ready for the big time. If Purdy is the real deal, the 49ers could very well be the Super Bowl Opponent.
Well, lost my bet, but might be right about the 49ers in the Super Bowl. The offense and defense looked abysmal except for TJ Watt and the O for 1 drive. It looked like Kenny was just a bit off today, throwing behind a lot of WRs. In a few cases the WRs maybe should have laid up in the hole in the D, but sometimes he was just plain off. There was also 1-2 times when we had guys wide open after plays started breaking down and would have been super easy TDs, but Kenny just couldn't find them.

Pretty disappointing. I'm hopeful that the 49ers are just legit awesome and that we have a shot of improving as the season goes along. If we get similarly smashed next week against the Browns my optimism will take a bit of a hit.

Also, I think we need to get Wallace out of there and get JPJ on the field. If we're going to have a CB miss assignments and give up big plays, at least let it be a rookie who will learn from those mistakes. Wallace was taken advantage of a lot today.

Well, lost my bet, but might be right about the 49ers in the Super Bowl. The offense and defense looked abysmal except for TJ Watt and the O for 1 drive. It looked like Kenny was just a bit off today, throwing behind a lot of WRs. In a few cases the WRs maybe should have laid up in the hole in the D, but sometimes he was just plain off. There was also 1-2 times when we had guys wide open after plays started breaking down and would have been super easy TDs, but Kenny just couldn't find them.

Pretty disappointing. I'm hopeful that the 49ers are just legit awesome and that we have a shot of improving as the season goes along. If we get similarly smashed next week against the Browns my optimism will take a bit of a hit.

Also, I think we need to get Wallace out of there and get JPJ on the field. If we're going to have a CB miss assignments and give up big plays, at least let it be a rookie who will learn from those mistakes. Wallace was taken advantage of a lot today.
Kenny was more than a bit off, he was awful. Until the nice drive at the end of the half I was thinking that they might need to pull him, he was that bad. He had a lot of company though, the whole team was pitiful.

They were playing a formidable opponent but they were at home, and had weeks to prepare. Obviously they have a lot of work to do before next Monday.

There are many new players on this Steelers team. The propensity for these types of colossal let downs remains. I get that the 49ers are a dominant team and were expected to win and are Super Bowl favorites. The coaching and game planning and execution were really poor to start with such a clunker.

Kenny was more than a bit off, he was awful. Until the nice drive at the end of the half I was thinking that they might need to pull him, he was that bad. He had a lot of company though, the whole team was pitiful.

They were playing a formidable opponent but they were at home, and had weeks to prepare. Obviously they have a lot of work to do before next Monday.

I’m as big of a KP fan that you’ll find but he was even worse than that. His “one good drive” at the end of the 1st half was SF in prevent giving up the underneath throws.

Every throw looked weak -- like it took forever to get from his hand to the receiver, no matter how far the throw was. And then almost every one was a hair behind at least.

But the jet sweep to Austin on the second play of the game set the tone for me. I had a bad feeling from that point forward . . . .

And why so many plays designed for him rather than Pickens or DJ???

And I know we were down early and quickly, but getting back to the run game is what saved the second half of the season last year and Najee is who saved that lone TD drive. Why give up on it totally -- get your D some rest!

Kenny was terrible and it brings back memories of why I didn't like that pick to begin with -- but Canada didn't help.

I would start Mason a game and no I am not kidding.. He has looked more confident in PS and by all accounts his camps the last two years have been better.

Pickett is not that guy. I see him as being a 8-9 win guys and nothing more.

Every throw looked weak -- like it took forever to get from his hand to the receiver, no matter how far the throw was. And then almost every one was a hair behind at least.

But the jet sweep to Austin on the second play of the game set the tone for me. I had a bad feeling from that point forward . . . .

And why so many plays designed for him rather than Pickens or DJ???

And I know we were down early and quickly, but getting back to the run game is what saved the second half of the season last year and Najee is who saved that lone TD drive. Why give up on it totally -- get your D some rest!

Kenny was terrible and it brings back memories of why I didn't like that pick to begin with -- but Canada didn't help.
Brutal. Watching live (haven't seen the DVR version yet), sure seemed like we were back to running the 2022 offense. SF was sitting on Kenny's check down throws. Barely attacked the middle or deep through the air. Pickett was way off target. Ground game was irrelevant. Speaking of, Mr. Irrelevant from KP's draft looked far better other than taking too many sacks.

Biggest disappointment, expected the D to perform better. TJ got his, but we needed the whole unit to disrupt Purdy and contain the run. WR were wide open almost every play. Credit the 49ers coaching staff for putting their guys in a great position to win.

Positive on offense for me - Pickens and ARob looked strong.
Next steps
1. coaches need to do better.
2. KP needs to attack and WIN. Not going to call for him to get benched, but it's obvious that level of play and DECISION MAKING are unacceptable.
3. Use the hate (dark side force energy) to destroy Cleveland Monday night.

ETA: 4. Run the DANG ball once in a while.

I would start Mason a game and no I am not kidding.. He has looked more confident in PS and by all accounts his camps the last two years have been better.

Pickett is not that guy. I see him as being a 8-9 win guys and nothing more.
We have been there and done that with Mason. He is definitely not the guy. I would much rather stick with Pickett and let him grow and gain experience. It’s possible that he could still develop into something decent. The Steelers invested too much in him to give up after 1 season and 1 game.

We have been there and done that with Mason. He is definitely not the guy. I would much rather stick with Pickett and let him grow and gain experience. It’s possible that he could still develop into something decent. The Steelers invested too much in him to give up after 1 season and 1 game.

Agreed. They aren't going to back away from Pickett one week into the season, that's just silly talk. They were over matched yesterday and nothing was working. They do need to stick with the running game and it would be nice to see them to hit a receiver on the run in the middle of the field once in a while.

Then again Kenny was missing badly -- he needs to improve that accuracy ASAP.

Ian Rapoport:

"Steelers perennial Pro Bowl DL Cam Heyward is expected to miss multiple weeks because of a groin injury suffered Sunday, per me and
@MikeGarafolo. He’s likely headed to IR and evaluating all options — including surgery. Decision coming soon.

Is Pickens going to be the next AB for the Steelers?

On Instagram liking posts that rip Pickett.
Disappointing. If this is true, he's not a guy I want on this team. We don't need AB2.
How about we use him for a decade first, then trade him to the Raiders and get a sweet deal. Those prime AB years were incredible and anyone saying we should have traded him at the first sign of a problem are just lying to themselves.

Also, 1 instagram like is grounds for cutting a guy? Gimme a break.

The doom and gloom here is ridiculous. It was 1 game against a team thought to be a Super Bowl contender. Did we look awful? Of course, but that doesn't mean the season is shot, we need to cut our losses with Kenny, etc. Most throws that were off target were not miles off target, they were off by a quarter second or a couple feet, and that should tighten up with reps.

I still think we should have gotten rid of Canada, but I'm not ready to write off Pickett already. It seems like the hype train that started during the preseason got thrown into full reverse, then backed into another train and exploded for most of you.

We at least looked better than the Bengals.

After 3 years or whatever now, the main problem I see is Canada but more succinctly we are undercoached.

We have enough in place to be a competitIve team. The roster balance is not bad. By definition aside from our constant and currently really tough division we should still broach 500 and given a few breakouts we could be positioned well in the playoffs. A better OL is a big part of what makes that happen. We made a lot of moves and that is not an unreasonable ask.

But I watch and rewatch Steelers games. I can’t remember the last time we ran a successful play that didn’t rely on someone doing something otherworldly.
Especially on offense but notably also on defense.

That sounds like a coaching problem. And while I love Mikes isms that ball lands in his court. He controls those hires and has not gotten better at it.

So…I hate problems without solutions. I have no idea who the coaching candidates are but we need to find some.

(Edited out the drunk post parts - sorry)

Last edited:

Dislikes:

Matt Canada’s testing the middle of the 49ers defense

Shallow cross is an old-school West Coast offense play designed to attack the middle of the defense. Against zone, it is supposed to stress the middle linebacker. The 49ers are predominately a zone team, but their inside linebacker is Fred Warner, who is the best coverage linebacker in football. Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Matt Canada called this play repeatedly, and Warner and the 49ers linebackers just shut it down. Last season, on short and intermediate pass attempts (under 15 yards), the 49ers defense was third in defensive EPA per dropback. Targeting that area of the field where Warner roams is not a good business model.

14:02 remaining in the first quarter, third-and-5

The over-the-ball route by Steelers tight end Pat Freiermuth typically is quarterback Kenny Pickett’s first read on this play, and slot receiver Calvin Austin III is usually his second.

Warner did an excellent job of finding and squeezing Freiermuth as soon as he passed off the shallow route to linebacker Dre Greenlaw. Pickett waited for the concept to develop but got sacked on the play.

Canada called two variations of shallow cross eight times against the 49ers. On those plays, Pickett was 1-of-4 (25 percent), had one pass picked off, another nearly intercepted and was sacked twice. Shallow cross might be one of Pickett’s favorite concepts since college, but the scouting report should have told Canada not to call it too frequently, and based on the results, he should have gone away from it, but he kept calling it even on their final drive. At least they finally completed the last one for 10 yards.

Canada called two variations of shallow cross eight times against the 49ers. On those plays, Pickett was 1-of-4 (25 percent), had one pass picked off, another nearly intercepted and was sacked twice. Shallow cross might be one of Pickett’s favorite concepts since college, but the scouting report should have told Canada not to call it too frequently, and based on the results, he should have gone away from it, but he kept calling it even on their final drive. At least they finally completed the last one for 10 yards.

I don't disagree but some of those incompletions were totally on Pickett. His passes were off target most of the game. Had his accuracy been better some of those would have been completed.

The doom and gloom here is ridiculous. It was 1 game against a team thought to be a Super Bowl contender. Did we look awful? Of course, but that doesn't mean the season is shot, we need to cut our losses with Kenny, etc. Most throws that were off target were not miles off target, they were off by a quarter second or a couple feet, and that should tighten up with reps.

I still think we should have gotten rid of Canada, but I'm not ready to write off Pickett already. It seems like the hype train that started during the preseason got thrown into full reverse, then backed into another train and exploded for most of you.

I am not ready to write off Pickett, That said I think it is okay to acknowledge that Kenny's performance was awful on Sunday. Everyone has a bad day so let's hope that is all it was.

As for the play calling, yes it wasn't good but it really doesn't matter what you call when your team isn't executing. I am by no means defending Matt Canada here, he sucks, but I doubt Andy Reid could have done much better with the way the offense was playing against that defense on that day. Nothing was working.

If there is a silver lining it is that the loss came against a great team, on week one, and it was against an NFC opponent. Let's hope the whole team shakes it off and gets it together for Monday night. Opening the season with two home losses and one against a division opponent would be the suck.

I feel like we (not you; us as a fan base) do this every year. We have a few bad games early and the world is falling apart. Realistically I’m sure this team will end up around .500, miss the playoffs (or make the playoffs and get bounced in round 1). At what point, should our expectations (hopes) be higher? Pickett can’t be that bad but nothing over the past year suggests that he’s a franchise QB. The defense loses key players to injury every year. The offensive line hasn’t been good in a long time. Tomlin continues to stick with the worst offensive coordinator in football. We are just a team destined for mediocrity.

Another shot to eat crow this week. Ranked Dawand Jones as the #2 OT in this draft well over Broderick. Go get him TJ!!!!

Speaking of OL, there is a zero percent chance the Steelers run the ball less than last week. Let's get er dun!!!

Solid film breakdown of each Steelers pass play if you have time for a listen. Trying to be objective, offense scheme appeared to put the team in a good position to make plays. There were options open on almost every play. Maybe 2 or 3 times the 49ers had everything locked down. Biggest issue was Kenny's decision making and some communication between QB-WR. Pass protection had issues, but zero run game doesn't help.

If Kenny can pick up the concepts and throw where the play is designed to get players open, the offense will be much better. Kenny especially needs to punish the defense when they play Cal in press man without a safety bracket up top. There is hope for Monday.

Chuks out of concussion protocol? Dan Moore was the worst ranked LT in the NFL last week . . . .
And there's talks of having Broderick play RT even though he has exclusively practiced at LT all offseason.

If the offense still isn't putting up 24+ pts per game after week 6, they need to dump Canada for 1 main reason. We need to confirm if Kenny is the problem or Canada is. If we dump Canada and there's a new play caller for 10+ weeks, and Kenny/the offense still sucks, then we need to start looking for a new QB. But, as many of us suspect, if Canada is dumped and the offense improves, then we found the weak link and can move forward with Kenny.

Solid film breakdown of each Steelers pass play if you have time for a listen. Trying to be objective, offense scheme appeared to put the team in a good position to make plays. There were options open on almost every play. Maybe 2 or 3 times the 49ers had everything locked down. Biggest issue was Kenny's decision making and some communication between QB-WR. Pass protection had issues, but zero run game doesn't help.

If Kenny can pick up the concepts and throw where the play is designed to get players open, the offense will be much better. Kenny especially needs to punish the defense when they play Cal in press man without a safety bracket up top. There is hope for Monday.
I don't have time to watch the film but this was my observation as well. He also wasn't very accurate. It was just a bad performance and hopefully he learns from his mistakes.

I don't have time to watch the film but this was my observation as well. He also wasn't very accurate. It was just a bad performance and hopefully he learns from his mistakes.
His timing was off all game except the 1 drive. He kept throwing just ahead or behind players.

How many games of 10 or less points in a row does it take before Canada is let go? Feels like the Trubisky situation from last year, but with even less chance of a change unless things are going absolutely horribly.

My hope is that somehow we make the change without suffering tons of losses. Multiple wins where we only score 10, but somehow win thanks to our D.

How many games of 10 or less points in a row does it take before Canada is let go? Feels like the Trubisky situation from last year, but with even less chance of a change unless things are going absolutely horribly.

My hope is that somehow we make the change without suffering tons of losses. Multiple wins where we only score 10, but somehow win thanks to our D.
Unfortunately the Steelers rarely make coaching changes during the regular season.

Rookie Dawand Jones may be in big trouble tonight for his first NFL start at right tackle. He called out TJ Watt's big weakness is exposing his chest. Confident he will shut TJ down if he can get to his chest.

A win's a win but I have never felt more apathetic after a win. This team has no chance this year. The O line is a complete wreck, the QB is a disaster and the defense will get torched by even an average offense. They'll need the defense/special teams to completely carry them every week.

Also, why is our # 1 draft pick not playing? It's sort of a position of need.

Thankfully, Watson still stinks and the D made splash plays for the win. I feel for Chubb and have to say I don't like that hit by Minkah to be honest when someone was already engaged high on him. I pray he can come back from this and play again.

This win did nothing to move the needle upward. Offense stinks as does the play calling, and Pickett looks like Zach Wilson out there.

Users who are viewing this thread