What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

Wasn’t a fan of Pickett selection last year but WOW did he look good. Glad to see Dan at left OT right now. Jones technique isn’t great in pass pro. Hopefully he will figure it out at some point this season.

Will come down to the play calling. Do we use the players' strengths, or just call passes to the sidelines all day?

Were I a betting man (and I am, I guess) then I would go with "They'll probably just call passes to the sidelines all day." Matt Canada still sucks, and is still employed as the Steelers' primary playcaller. I just can't get that excited about the offense until that changes, or he changes his M.O. Steelers almost assuredly won't move on from the guy mid-season, either, so this is a "not changing until 2024 at the earliest" kind of thing, most likely.

That first drive from Kenny last weekend did look very good though. No denying that.

Wasn’t a fan of Pickett selection last year but WOW did he look good. Glad to see Dan at left OT right now. Jones technique isn’t great in pass pro. Hopefully he will figure it out at some point this season.

Will come down to the play calling. Do we use the players' strengths, or just call passes to the sidelines all day?

Were I a betting man (and I am, I guess) then I would go with "They'll probably just call passes to the sidelines all day." Matt Canada still sucks, and is still employed as the Steelers' primary playcaller. I just can't get that excited about the offense until that changes, or he changes his M.O. Steelers almost assuredly won't move on from the guy mid-season, either, so this is a "not changing until 2024 at the earliest" kind of thing, most likely.

That first drive from Kenny last weekend did look very good though. No denying that.
Yeah, I would be shocked if Canada somehow learned how to design an NFL offense in the offseason, but fingers crossed

It looked good. And they used the middle of the field some. But every throw was under 10 yards I think.

It looked good. And they used the middle of the field some. But every throw was under 10 yards I think.
TD maybe was longer, but everything else sure seemed like it.

TD maybe was longer, but everything else sure seemed like it.
The TD was all YAC.

WOW! Starting unit dominated BUF first team. Bills D was hitting hard too, not playing soft.

Warren can score from anywhere on the field. Najee doesn’t make that play.
Pittsburgh FINALLY exploiting the middle of the field. That’ll make perimeter throws more effective and help the run.
Herbig looks like he belongs.
Run D dominated as well. Inside backers played well.

Been a long time since I was this excited for a season

Green final game with Pittsburgh. Not often you see a center who is capable of single handedly losing a game.

I don't place too much stock in pre season as teams are just working out kinks for the most part, but it's good to see this offense coming together. Need to carry that momentum when the games count and build on it. Also, Warren needs more touches, maybe a 60/40 split would work wonders for the team.

It was with the backup units, but redzone play calling was still really bad. Without Canada this would be a top 10 offense. I am worried he is still an anchor dragging everyone down

Not sure about the "top 10" thing, but it'd undoubtedly be "better" if they'd have shown him the door, almost certainly. Even with the team having to pick up a brand new playbook and all the bumps that typically go along with that.

It was with the backup units, but redzone play calling was still really bad. Without Canada this would be a top 10 offense. I am worried he is still an anchor dragging everyone down
OL depth is a concern, so I didn't mind the play calling in preseason to see which guys could win. Broderick Jones was in there and you'd expect him to win vs 2nd team.
The positive takeaway from all those goal line shots is no one could cover Darnell Washington. Loved the ISO one on one outside. He looks like a cheat code.

OL depth is a concern, so I didn't mind the play calling in preseason to see which guys could win. Broderick Jones was in there and you'd expect him to win vs 2nd team.
The positive takeaway from all those goal line shots is no one could cover Darnell Washington. Loved the ISO one on one outside. He looks like a cheat code.
Relying on that is just bad play calling though. Scheme someone open. Have that as a 2nd read

With the Dotson trade it feels like the Green experiment is not over.

Some people saying they will keep Anderson and Cook, while cutting Green. Herbig backup center.

Not a bad trade for Dotson. Two pick swaps but a 4th is good.

Hmm. I'm no expert but OL's can take a minute. 1 year miscast as center, 1 year riding pine to relearn. We'll see what the smart guys decided on Tuesday.

With the Dotson trade it feels like the Green experiment is not over.

Some people saying they will keep Anderson and Cook, while cutting Green. Herbig backup center.

Not a bad trade for Dotson. Two pick swaps but a 4th is good.

Hmm. I'm no expert but OL's can take a minute. 1 year miscast as center, 1 year riding pine to relearn. We'll see what the smart guys decided on Tuesday.

I was very much in favor of drafting Green and moving him to Center, but he has shown that he just cannot play there in the NFL and is probably too small to be an effective Guard as well. I think they move on from him, unfortunately.

So the Steelers still have 2 punters. Mann is another they have been trying to trade. So expect him gone for some compensation and then a WW pickup somewhere.

Connor Heyward listed as FB/TE

Do they have a 7th round pick to offer or maybe a tray of philly cheesesteaks or a 9th offensive lineman or 6th DB better than our current crop in those positions ?

I forgot about the Andy Weidl connection.

Fehoko circles back to the practice squad

Kellen Diesch - OT to the practice squad as well. I remember liking him as a late draft pick potentially last year.

Other players signed to practice squad:
CB Luq Barcoo
CB Anthony Brown
DT Jonathan Marshall
OLB David Perales
RB Greg Bell
S Trenton Thompson
TE Rodney Willians
WR Dez Fitzpatrick
G Joey Fisher

Steelers sign CB Desmond King (recently released by Houston) per Gerry Dulac - hopefully this spells the end of James Pierre

Adds badly needed depth with lots of starting experience. 9 career interceptions, 2 returned for TDs
Does he become our slot-CB? He was rated high against the run as well -- could be a Hilton type?

If so, I wonder what that means for Peterson, Wallace, and JPJ?

Steelers sign CB Desmond King (recently released by Houston) per Gerry Dulac - hopefully this spells the end of James Pierre

Adds badly needed depth with lots of starting experience. 9 career interceptions, 2 returned for TDs
Does he become our slot-CB? He was rated high against the run as well -- could be a Hilton type?

If so, I wonder what that means for Peterson, Wallace, and JPJ?
Nothing. He is depth.

Fehoko's cousin, WR Simi Fehoko (recently released by Dallas), rumored to be another practice squad addition

Hilarious.
Tomlin is addicted to players with NFL bloodlines!
A couple of videos:
Mike Tomlin on why he likes siblings

Annnyyyyybody else got a little brother? lol

Users who are viewing this thread