What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (1 Viewer)

They have tons of leverage. They have "your QB sucks and Carr is better" leverage. Carr wants to play. The no-trade clause will ensure he gets a lot of say in where he goes, but there will be teams tripping over themselves to trade for Carr.
The problem is the "February". If it was week 1 guaranteed, they have some leverage. Some. But February was explicitly put into that contract so that he would have the entire offseason to get a new job if the team wanted to move on.
No one else in the NFL needs to make a QB decision in February--except Vegas. Even if teams were deciding between Carr and Brady/Rodgers/Garoppolo, those other guys might all be on holiday till March.

This is one of those things that I am 100% confident in, and pray I am wrong.
You are 100% correct.

Carr has all the leverage. But that doesn't mean the Raiders have none, just that their path to getting compensation is more complicated.

The Raiders need to be willing to do what the Niners did with Garoppolo last year. They have to be willing to play chicken and, if necessary, pay Carr $40 mil in 2023. It worked out well enough for San Francisco.

They can pick up Carr's contract in February. Teams know the Raiders are willing to trade him but they will need to pay to get him. Maybe the Raiders will need to eat some of the $40 mil, or take a lesser pick package to trade him and not pay cash, but the opportunity is there.

The Raiders simply need to be prepared to not trade him. There are advantages to that too. He's still better than Stidham (he is, so stop hitting Reply. Just, stop) and it would allow them to wait on the QB position for another year, build up areas of weakness & lack of depth. And maybe make a move for a QB in 2024.

It can be done, it just depends on the teams stomach for risk.
Davis does not have the deep pockets to do fork out huge money to pay those games.
Especially for a player they cut ties with and embarrassed.
no chance they mend that bridge
I said it would be a gamble. A high stakes game of chicken. But I am sure Davis, and his partners, have enough money to cover Carr's contract. He is "poor" by very subjective standards but he isn't that "poor". The Raiders generate enough revenue to cover the contract.

I think the notion of Carr being "dissed" or "shamed" or "embarrassed" is hugely overblown. I doubt he found out about the switch to Stidham from sports radio. And the team unquestionably did Carr a favor by not exposing him to injury during a lost season when they had decided to move on from him.

I wouldn't speak in absolutes about situations like this. Last year there was "zero chance" that Jimmy Garoppolo would be in a Niner uniform in 2022. There were tons of op-eds from talking heads talking about the $27 million (or whatever) that they would never pay him and how they lost bargaining leverage because it was an open secret that Garoppolo would be gone.

As T.O. would say Carr has $40 million reasons to get over it. Leaving the Raiders would probably be good for him but it is also unlikely that another team will guarantee him $40 million for the 2023 season. Why not play out for $40 mil in 2023 and then hit the open market on his own terms and get some kind of 3-5 year deal with $70 mil, or so, guaranteed?
This is a very good post. Jimmy g was done dirty by 49ers. He wasn’t allowed to practice with the team. He was working out by himself. Lance goes down. Boom. And like Carr, maybe more, the players LOVE jimmy g.

NONE of these QB plans I am hearing is blowing my skirt up.
Exactly. At this point, with how they unceremoniously benched Carr, I’d rather start from freakin scratch with a rookie QB and start Stidhman til the rookie is ready to go. All these other OLD QBs that folks are talking about are a) OLD and b) assume we have a Win Now team. Heck WE thought we had a Win Now team with the new, inventive D Coordinator and especially the move to get Adams, and then it all fell apart. So why bring in an old vet QB at this point? It just doesn’t add up

is potentially paying carr's salary worth getting a1st round pick in a trade?

if the pick ends up being a khalil mack type of player, or even a solid starter who makes the team better on a rookie contract. I think it is worth it to keep carr until the right trade is offered.
I’ve said all along that the smartest thing for Carr, is to resign and then agree to a trade. That way he gets his money. I don’t think he gets 40M on the open market.

if the pick ends up being a khalil mack type of player, or even a solid starter who makes the team better on a rookie contract. I think it is worth it to keep carr until the right trade is offered.
I’ve said all along that the smartest thing for Carr, is to resign and then agree to a trade. That way he gets his money. I don’t think he gets 40M on the open market.
I guess I don't understand what you mean by resign Carr. Do you mean not release him, in which case he would be on the books for $40 mil in 2023, or do you mean negotiate a "sign-and-trade" multi-year extension?

At $40 mil for this year the Raiders will either have to cover some of the salary for 2023 to get the best picks possible or accept less in draft capital to move him.

I love spending other people's money so I would love to see the Raiders cover all of Carr's 2023 salary if it meant multiple 1st/2nd/3rd round picks in return. Load up to make a run at Caleb Williams in 2024.

Last edited:
Well. It’s never dull.
I mean, 100% this, and I guess that's better than....Panthers or something.

But when I was just a wee lad who found the Silver&Black, I was signing up for a football team, not Real Housewives of Las Vegas, which is pretty much what we have.

Well. It’s never dull.
I mean, 100% this, and I guess that's better than....Panthers or something.

But when I was just a wee lad who found the Silver&Black, I was signing up for a football team, not Real Housewives of Las Vegas, which is pretty much what we have.
This team sucks and we’re suckers. Simple as that. Literally only one notch above being a Commanders fan only because their owner is the worst of the worst.
signed,
Masochist

ETA: over the past 20 years, only the Cleveland Browns (106-215-1) have a worst record than the Raiders (116-206)

sorry, wallowing in the muck and mire a bit seeing all these playoff games and wondering when we’ll actually be good and consistent again.

Last edited:
Carr not going to tell "his side of the story".

Gotta be honest this rubs me the wrong way.

If you're not going to tell "your side of the story", then just don't do it.

Don't Tweet about it, implying how above it you are, while also suggesting with your silence that something insidious happened behind the scenes.

Virtue signal much Derek?

It's obviously a divisive topic, but everything Carr or his family have done since the divorce have made the Raider's decision makers look correct.

I get that there were circumstances on both sides that made the final weeks of the season difficult if not impossible to work towards some sort of path forward, but if Carr or his family truly thinks he is being wronged in all this they need to watch every minute of his last Raider game and then go back and watch his last pass a couple more times. Certainly it comes down to much more than one game, but that felt like at the time and ended up being a funeral for his time as QB1 for the Raiders.

When you are being paid (and cashing every one of those checks) to be THE GUY for a franchise and put that kind of stuff on tape, you damn well better be ready for serious criticism or hard conversations and I doesn't appear Derek is built for that. The Jets fans/media would have been absolutely brutal under the same context (the grass is always greener mindset goes both ways here).

ETA: over the past 20 years, only the Cleveland Browns (106-215-1) have a worst record than the Raiders (116-206)
Ugh, the Raiders can't even get being the best at being the worst right.

Give it a bit more time.
Fine. I'll give it twenty more years, but after that I'm going to seriously have to consider giving it only another twenty years...thirty tops.

Give it a bit more time.
Fine. I'll give it twenty more years, but after that I'm going to seriously have to consider giving it only another twenty years...thirty tops.

😆 Meant give it a bit more time for them to catch the Browns.

Give it a bit more time.

😆 Meant give it a bit more time for them to catch the Browns.
Oh, so...next season.

That works too.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by resign Carr. Do you mean not release him, in which case he would be on the books for $40 mil in 2023, or do you mean negotiate a "sign-and-trade" multi-year extension?

At $40 mil for this year the Raiders will either have to cover some of the salary for 2023 to get the best picks possible or accept less in draft capital to move him.

I love spending other people's money so I would love to see the Raiders cover all of Carr's 2023 salary if it meant multiple 1st/2nd/3rd round picks in return. Load up to make a run at Caleb Williams in 2024.
I’m merely saying the best move for Carr, not the raiders, is to resign. Get his money and move on. whether it’s a sign and trade or whatever. Carr don’t care. He’s got his money and he gets to move on richer af. I don’t think he gets 40M on the open market.

Carr not going to tell "his side of the story".

Gotta be honest this rubs me the wrong way.

If you're not going to tell "your side of the story", then just don't do it.

Don't Tweet about it, implying how above it you are, while also suggesting with your silence that something insidious happened behind the scenes.

Virtue signal much Derek?
This is the part of carr I can’t stand. The holier than thou. Get over yourself. You have the most losses of any qb over the entirety of your career. You’ve never won a playoff game. You have some decent stats. You’re a really good dude. You’re not all that.

I’m merely saying the best move for Carr, not the raiders, is to resign. Get his money and move on. whether it’s a sign and trade or whatever. Carr don’t care. He’s got his money and he gets to move on richer af. I don’t think he gets 40M on the open market.
What are you talking about? Carr is under contract, there's nothing to sign. If you mean be a good soldier, shut his mouth and report on time and keep it clean then yes that's going to be in his best interest. LVR won't cut him, his $32M guaranteed for 2023 won't scare anyone away, it's a very reasonable cap number for QB these days. He's in the Tannehill/Goff range fpr 2023. Hell Matt Ryan is a $35M cap number and TBB have a cap hit of $36 for Brady who isn't even under contract to them any more!

LVR will sit on Carr, sit on his $32M contract, and wait out the game of QB musical chairs. Someone will panic and want to be left standing and pony up a reasonable trade for Carr. I expect LVR will get a 2nd or 3rd for 2023 with conditional for 2024 depending on the team. NYJ spent 1.02 on Zach Wilson last year, you think they wouldn't roll a mullian for a 2nd round pick to get a known quantity at QB? We LVR fans have been saying for years Carr's capable of winning playoff games if he has the right support structure (the kind we could never put together), it's time for the teams with that structure in place to make their move.

TEN, NYJ, SFO, WAS, and MIA should all get in on the conversation. If Tua's fully healthy that knocks them out. NYG should but they won't. IND and CAR might be wildcards - those support structures are better than their records indicated and if they can not give up an early 1st but use that on OL, DEF, or WR to support a QB why wouldn't they look into it? Indy could pull one of the Will Anderson/Jalen Carter studs at 1.04 if they solve QB via trade.

What are you talking about? Carr is under contract, there's nothing to sign. If you mean be a good soldier, shut his mouth and report on time and keep it clean then yes that's going to be in his best interest. LVR won't cut him, his $32M guaranteed for 2023 won't scare anyone away, it's a very reasonable cap number for QB these days. He's in the Tannehill/Goff range fpr 2023. Hell Matt Ryan is a $35M cap number and TBB have a cap hit of $36 for Brady who isn't even under contract to them any more!

LVR will sit on Carr, sit on his $32M contract, and wait out the game of QB musical chairs. Someone will panic and want to be left standing and pony up a reasonable trade for Carr. I expect LVR will get a 2nd or 3rd for 2023 with conditional for 2024 depending on the team. NYJ spent 1.02 on Zach Wilson last year, you think they wouldn't roll a mullian for a 2nd round pick to get a known quantity at QB? We LVR fans have been saying for years Carr's capable of winning playoff games if he has the right support structure (the kind we could never put together), it's time for the teams with that structure in place to make their move.

TEN, NYJ, SFO, WAS, and MIA should all get in on the conversation. If Tua's fully healthy that knocks them out. NYG should but they won't. IND and CAR might be wildcards - those support structures are better than their records indicated and if they can not give up an early 1st but use that on OL, DEF, or WR to support a QB why wouldn't they look into it? Indy could pull one of the Will Anderson/Jalen Carter studs at 1.04 if they solve QB via trade.
You are correct. My verbiage was wrong. carr certainly doesnt need to resign. But thinking it through my thick skull.…….it’s actually better for the raiders to let the contract continue and then trade him. Right?

ten, sfo and Mia are not in the market for a qb.

You are correct. My verbiage was wrong. carr certainly doesnt need to resign. But thinking it through my thick skull.…….it’s actually better for the raiders to let the contract continue and then trade him. Right?

I think so yes, but the front office showed a zero risk aversion policy last year by not doing any of the 5th year contract options so there's a chance they could just walk away from that risk/locking it in as well. I hope not, the NFL is a risk/reward business and if you don't take any you don't get any big payouts. You can't get ahead until you hit jackpot. Nearly every strong AFC team now is strong because they hit the lottery - Mahomes was taken what 10? After Trubisky? Josh Allen was the 4th QB in his class and a big risk? BAL with Lamar at 32 or w/e, Herbert was taken after Tua. We need to make calculated risks and keeping Carr to force a payout is a small one. Cap space means nothing if you can't get a QB out of it, use the leverage we have to force some equity out of it.

TEN is most certainly in the QB market. Tannehill is old and bad and they are in win-now mode. MIA I qualified with if Tua's health was a concern. SFO probably not with how Purdy looks now, that was mostly a residual thought from a few weeks ago when we first started speculating over who might have QB interest.

I think so yes, but the front office showed a zero risk aversion policy last year by not doing any of the 5th year contract options so there's a chance they could just walk away from that risk/locking it in as well. I hope not, the NFL is a risk/reward business and if you don't take any you don't get any big payouts. You can't get ahead until you hit jackpot. Nearly every strong AFC team now is strong because they hit the lottery - Mahomes was taken what 10? After Trubisky? Josh Allen was the 4th QB in his class and a big risk? BAL with Lamar at 32 or w/e, Herbert was taken after Tua. We need to make calculated risks and keeping Carr to force a payout is a small one. Cap space means nothing if you can't get a QB out of it, use the leverage we have to force some equity out of it.

TEN is most certainly in the QB market. Tannehill is old and bad and they are in win-now mode. MIA I qualified with if Tua's health was a concern. SFO probably not with how Purdy looks now, that was mostly a residual thought from a few weeks ago when we first started speculating over who might have QB interest.
The date to watch now is February 15. More than $40 million in Carr’s current deal becomes guaranteed on that date and a lot of messy scenarios could play out if Carr is on the roster beyond February 15.

Officially, Carr cannot be traded until the start of the new league year in March. Anything that happens before then will be limited to a verbal agreement between everyone involved.

The Colts can’t afford another dime on another retread QB. They are taking a rookie this time. Enough with the Brissett, Rivers, Wentz, Ryan BS.

The Colts can’t afford another dime on another retread QB. They are taking a rookie this time. Enough with the Brissett, Rivers, Wentz, Ryan BS.
Gonna hurt when they trade 1.04 for Carr, isn't it?

;)

;)
Lol, I would bet your life on it that doesn’t happen.

;)
Ooooooohhh a Faustian bargain. What do I get if I win?

;)
You get to keep your life?

;)
I was hoping for something of value.

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
Only if he’s free after the Raiders cut him, or a conditional 4th rd pick, and only if Stroud and Young are gone.

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
Only if he’s free after the Raiders cut him, or a conditional 4th rd pick, and only if Stroud and Young are gone.
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
The Colts don’t want Derek freaking Carr. I know you’re just poking.

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
carson wentz?

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
carson wentz?
How about a rookie this time

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
Poking with love, brother.

I'd still love to see it happen though, And there's an argument for the Colts to do it.

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
Poking with love, brother.

I'd still love to see it happen though, And there's an argument for the Colts to do it.
I disagree, there is no reason for the Colts to do what you posted. Not even a fraction of it. The Colts need a QB to bu around, not another retread.

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
And Buckner.

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
carson wentz?
How about a rookie this time
Ugh, so much effort when you have a finished product like Carr available.

;)

Pass.

Carr to Pittman 2023!!!
2023 - 1.04
2024 - 1st & 3rd

For Carr & 4.07, 2023
And Buckner.
Hell, throw in Pittman too

I disagree, there is no reason for the Colts to do what you posted. Not even a fraction of it. The Colts need a QB to bu around, not another retread.
With a new HC I tend to agree. But if Carr is a 3rd this year and a 2024 conditional (maybe a 2nd if they make the playoffs?) that makes a ton of sense to free up 1.04 for Jalen Carter. Carr is far better than Wentz and is like 13 years younger than Matt Ryan.

The insight in what happened with Carr and the Raiders this season makes sense. There was nothing that seemed off at all about any of it. It felt right and I haven't picked up any reports that would contradict it. It also seemed to fit Carr and McD.

Further support of that was stumbling across the series "the dark side of football" and actuall the episode going into all of Belicheats... well... cheating. However, it also went into how he runs the locker room and it actually talked about how Belicheat would rip into Brady and specifically how it made Moss and another vet sit up straight, pay attention, etc.

You can see how that would wear could get the rest of the locker room in line when no one is off limits but then you can also see how that colors the relationship of Brady and Belicheat that eventually lead to their divorce even with ALL that success.

So, McD takes the same approach being mentored by Belicheat. Carr has gone through 9 years of rough existence being a fully committed Raider on mostly horrible to sometimes bubble to a decent teams. A whole lot of ridiculous crap to deal with on top of the losing including blind hate from some of the fanbase, a less than stable front office, an owner who apparently never fully committed to him, the craziness of last year, and on and on. You have not ability for empathy if you can't see how that can wear on a person. Then, he gets treated in a way he isn't use to. Now, not to say that that is right or wrong but it is understandable how that can end up being a point of frustration. Carr didn't seem right this year. He did seem to be struggling and trying to be the same positive force but maybe not fully feeling it in himself. The emotional press room is evidence of that.

On the other side, it also feed into my concern of McD in that I feared his weakness would be which at the heart of it is in interpersonal relationships. A great leader is one that situational. They can have their approach or philosophy and stay true to it but then they can read those they lead and change to meet them where they are and take them to new places. It sounds like McD was reactional on this and too late where trust already eroded. The failure in interpersonal relationships seems to be the failure of his first tenure as HC. As evidenced by the Donkeys doing well at first and then falling apart. I do think that McD is trying to be different and trying to get better in this aspect which is better than what I feared of him to begin with in being more like Lane Kiffen type of being a jerk is who he is. But that isn't something you get better at over night. It appears that the relationship of Carr is the first loss in this.

I think McD wants a vet but because of this approach, I think he knows he wants a vet use to the NE way. Brady or Jimmy G or last resort Brissett may be the plan. I am not excited about any. I don't think they want a rookie QB.

If Carr can't deal with a bit of hard coaching in front of the team that's on him. This is why I have been saying I do not think he would be a good fit with the Jets at all. Dude is too sensitive and NY is not the right market for him.

Can’t it just be as simple as Carr was finally over it? Dude dealt With straight garbage for 9 years. No knock on him. I’ve had to live through 20 years of it 😂

a lot of the team seems to really like mcD. A lot of the leaders like him and his approach. It nay have just been the last straw for Carr. I’m excited and nervous to see a new qb back there. A change was needed. Let’s see what happens.

This team has so many holes to fill that I can justify them picking just about any position at #7 except LT, WR and C. Honestly, none of us know what the McZ regime has planned, it’s too early. All we can do is make assumptions based on past history.
Obviously, that history is McDaniels going to Denver and jettisoning Cutler in favor of a project QB in Tebow. If one were to assume McD wants to go down this path again, then look no further than how fast they flipped on Carr, it’s eerily reminiscent of Cutler. If that’s the case, then who’s the next Tebow McD has targeted? Well, in my mind it has to be Anthony Richardson.
Hear me out. There are no finished products at QB this year. Are they really benching and moving on from the face of the franchise for a pocket passer like Stroud? Why not just keep Carr then? Bryce Young is tiny and has Tua and concussion problems written all over him IMO. You have to swing for the fences, and that swing is Richardson. His athleticism changes the whole offense and can take it to a level that a QB like Carr (or Stroud) athletically aren’t capable of doing. I for one see the NFL QB changing to the RPO style like Allen and Hurts. If they can develop this kid he can be the next multi-dimensional QB.
Now I realize if this is the direction McZ goes it will take time for him to develop, he’s a sophomore for crying out loud. That’s why I think Stidham is the bridge QB, and they wanted to see him play the final 2 games to see how he played to make sure in their minds he can be a fringe starter until a star QB is ready to take over. So bottom line, I think they do go rookie QB and build around him on a rookie contract. As fans we say this every 3-4 years, “they can’t screw this up.” History shows they probably will, but if this Richardson kid has a dawg mentality and a decent brain between his ears, he could be a game changer for the organization. And honestly, in hindsight, that’s all the Carr detractors really want and Richardson is about as opposite as Derek Carr as a QB can get.

I don't know if Richardson is Lamar Jackson or Malik Willis. If they take him at 7 he better be Lamar Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread