What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 NFL Draft Order (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
I believe the NFL will play this season whether shortened or otherwise.  Hopefully we get a full season. 

But if the season is cancelled, who gets the #1 pick?  What is the draft order next April?  Some pretty good QBs coming out next year.  I'd hate to see them have some type of lottery for the order.  

If the NFL doesn't play this year college probably follows suit.  Does the NCAA grant seniors or eligible juniors coming out another year of eligibility if they choose?  Would Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields stay?  I'd say both would come on out.  Could make for an interesting scenario.  I hope it's all moot and they all play this fall.  

If the NFL doesn't play this year college probably follows suit.  Does the NCAA grant seniors or eligible juniors coming out another year of eligibility if they choose?  Would Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields stay?  I'd say both would come on out.  Could make for an interesting scenario.  I hope it's all moot and they all play this fall.  
I don't recall where I saw it but it was speculated that if top-prospects for the 2021 draft felt the college season was in jeopardy they would enter the NFL supplemental draft this summer which is a lottery.

If I were Trevor Lawrence and knew my college season was canceled and could get drafted and sign for a big bonus check I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

The NFL season 'probably' would not be canceled by the time of the supplemental draft so it could turn into an event with huge drama since it 'could-have' big names.

I don't recall where I saw it but it was speculated that if top-prospects for the 2021 draft felt the college season was in jeopardy they would enter the NFL supplemental draft this summer which is a lottery.

If I were Trevor Lawrence and knew my college season was canceled and could get drafted and sign for a big bonus check I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

The NFL season 'probably' would not be canceled by the time of the supplemental draft so it could turn into an event with huge drama since it 'could-have' big names.
That would be one interesting supplemental draft.  

They could have a weighted draft where order could be based on average position in the previous 5 or so drafts.  It would put Cleveland back up there with the other usual suspects.

Read the NHL had a weighted lottery type draft in ~05 based on teams previous year finishes and draft pick order over the previous few years.  Cleveland and the Jets would have more balls than say, NE and KC.  

They could have a weighted draft where order could be based on average position in the previous 5 or so drafts.  It would put Cleveland back up there with the other usual suspects.

Read the NHL had a weighted lottery type draft in ~05 based on teams previous year finishes and draft pick order over the previous few years.  Cleveland and the Jets would have more balls than say, NE and KC.  
I think they would keep the current draft order.

Without a college season the draft would be a complete crap-shoot since player rankings change, sometimes dramatically (see Joe Burroughs) over the course of a season.

Holding a top pick would not hold as much power with so much uncertainty.

would be cool if they gave each team a set amount and had an auction*. Salary would still be slotted based on where the player went. Maybe teams get more $ based on the 2020 draft order

*will never happen but would be very cool TV

would be cool if they gave each team a set amount and had an auction*. Salary would still be slotted based on where the player went. Maybe teams get more $ based on the 2020 draft order

*will never happen but would be very cool TV
That would be interesting.  It wouldn't flow like a fantasy auction where you have to fill out an entire team (redraft leagues).  I don't imagine a lot of money would be saved for typical 4-7 round picks.  Some teams just need a player or two.  Bears might go all in on a QB.  Draft would only last one night and money would be spent.  

Think of all the UDFA adds after that draft.  

Users who are viewing this thread